As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: PARALLEL LIVES #1
    GERRY CONWAY (w)
    ALEX SAVIUK (a)
    Cover by BOB LARKIN
    • He’s Peter Parker: a shy, introverted teen whose life changed forever when a radioactive spider bit him.
    • She’s Mary Jane Watson: product of a broken home, concealing her pain with an outgoing party-girl persona.
    • They meet, fall in love and get married. This is their story.
    • The classic 1989 graphic novel returns!
    64 PGS./Rated T+ ...$4.99

Wait, Spider-Man and MJ got married?

PARALLEL LIVES

fuck you marvel

fuck you

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Also this cover is massively cool

2lbyvk4.jpg

Aint letting this get botp

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    Full May solicits in one spot. Stuart Immonen drawing Avenging Spider-Man is good, Kathryn Immonen writing it is bad.

Kathryn Immonen's written more good stuff than bad, I think.

Heralds, Hellcat, Wolverine and Jubilee, and her Girl Comics story, were all good-to-great.

Her Marvel Comics Presents: Hellcat was incomprehensible, and I've heard similar things about her Runaways and Pixie Strikes Back.

I think she does have a very unusual way of crafting a narrative, that can make her work confusing. But if you can get past that, she's usually telling some pretty fun stories.

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So what's the general consensus on Vol. 4 of the main series so far? Just curious

you all better fucking like it :evil:

Which issues are you referring to? Because going by May's solicit, the Avengers vol.3 hardcover just now gets to the ongoing and rather filler-centric Osborn story.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I think he's talking volume 4 as in the current ongoing.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    Yes I am.

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:
    Full May solicits in one spot. Stuart Immonen drawing Avenging Spider-Man is good, Kathryn Immonen writing it is bad.

Kathryn Immonen's written more good stuff than bad, I think.

Heralds, Hellcat, Wolverine and Jubilee, and her Girl Comics story, were all good-to-great.

Her Marvel Comics Presents: Hellcat was incomprehensible, and I've heard similar things about her Runaways and Pixie Strikes Back.

I think she does have a very unusual way of crafting a narrative, that can make her work confusing. But if you can get past that, she's usually telling some pretty fun stories.

Yeah this is about how I felt, though I was only aware of her through Runaways and PSB and it wasn't till W&J I realized she actually could write well

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I read the Hellcat trade before her Runaways arc and was really bummed at how bad it was compared to Hellcat

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    PSB was such a weird comic

I read the first issue out of interest, and it was really strange. The narrative was incredibly jumpy. Batman: Odyssey made more sense to me.

Solar on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well it looks like
    O'Grady
    died today in Secret Avengers

fuck

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    what

ugh

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Well it looks like
    O'Grady

fuck

Well that's annoying

I liked him

Unsurprising though, they said one would die and given the make-up of the rest of the team...

• Options
    He went out like a champ though, I will give him that.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Well it was the typical end of the issue thing, so i would wait till next issue to get fully upset.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Except Remender said that someone would die in an interview I believe

so

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Well it looks like
    O'Grady

fuck
    Relax. O'Grady will be bought back eventually. He was created by Fraction IIRC, which can only make it easier for him to return.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    He was created by
    Kirkman

who Marvel doesn't really like very much

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    He was created by
    Kirkman

who Marvel doesn't really like very much

My mistake. Not sure why I thought Fraction made him. Since
    Kirkman
    is persona non grata it is possible they iced
    O'Grady
    to not give him royalty cheques?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I really doubt he got royalty checks over him.
    He didn't create Ant-Man, just O'Grady and the dude had a solo book that got canned in under 20 issues.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Didn't Fraction also say he is using him in the Defenders?

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    He is using
    an Ant-Man. One who he specifically would not name under the helmet. And Scott Lang just got revived over in Children's Crusade.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I really doubt he got royalty checks over him.
    He didn't create Ant-Man, just O'Grady and the dude had a solo book that got canned in under 20 issues.
    A character doesn't count when they're legacies? First I've heard of that. Since there isn't a single Ant-Man doesn't it make sense that the creators get royalties from which ever version they created? That said, O'Grady has appeared in various titles after his solo title got cancelled. I'd have thought Kirkman would have gotten royalties from his appearances in Secret Avengers.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Well it looks like
    O'Grady

fuck

Huh, I forgot to pick that up today.

Kind of glad I didn't, now.

• Options
    Defenders article where Fraction talks about upcoming stuff, with some unlettered preview pages as well.

• Options
    He's totally dead and it was totally a good death and munch is a big baby

the end

• Options
    Yeah I mean

I like him a bunch

but it was a good solid death that worked with the character's direction over the past few years.

Death isn't inherently a bad thing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm just grumpy because I pooed myself.

I dunno, I'm just pretty tired of seeing characters I like die. And really, if this is presumably to clear the way for his bland predecessor to retake the role, that's pretty dumb.

And since I was largely reading the book for that character, I don't really have any desire to read it, now.

Munch on
  • Options
    I really don't think
    Lang or Pym are bland.

Plus I mean, O'Grady kind of reached the end of his character growth that would make him different from "snarky hero". Dude has been trying to be a big hero for years now and sacrificed his life to save a child from a group of murderous adaptoids. That seems pretty fufilling to me.

Otherwise he just becomes another superhero or descends back into total asshole territory. Especially since he is on a team with Hawkeye and Venom who are both cocky, snarky assholes.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Munch wrote:
    I'm just grumpy because I pooed myself.

I dunno, I'm just pretty tired of seeing characters I like die. And really, if this is presumably to clear the way for his bland predecessor to retake the role, that's pretty dumb.

you haven't even read the book

• Options
    Which is why I didn't comment on the quality of the book?

Like, at all?

• Options
    Death is a good thing when it actually sticks, and when it doesn't it damages the universe being worked in significantly. When you have characters undermining the significance of death in the books by joking about how people always come back, yet they were crying at character's funeral or passing issues earlier, you've reached a point where it would just work better to have them stay on the sidelines if you have no direction to go with them now.

That's why when you look at the current Marvel landscape, the stuff with the real changes where readers are liking what they see, while still allowing for greater growth, comes from characters being injured and adjusting (USAgent), taking on new roles to stand out (Julia Carpenter, Flash Thompson), or simply changing their location from team to team (Beast). Death doesn't have to be the only thing to make people act or work differently to cap off character growth, yet it's often the first button pushed these days. This is why the Ultimates right now actually has a genuinely interesting threat on the horizon, because we're seeing real consequences for the time being because death has some meaning still. Heck, the new Transformers ongoings have a sense of permanency that the characters will stay dead because it's being treated that way. That feeling is just gone from regular Marvel and DC books.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's not certain that anyone died.

• Options
    Secret Avengers #23 was another miss for me. It had nothing to do with the death, but more Clint's attitude in the issue. When Beast of all people is telling you your attitude is bad, it just doesn't work. And we have evidence from his other works Remender knows how to do decent characterization and not be so over the top. Some of the stuff about Johns and Aquaman #6 would apply here, which would be a step back for a writer of Remender's quality.
    When has Clint been upset about having a villain on the team, you know? He hung out with six of them, actively trained them to be heroes with the Thunderbolts, who were very much the same thing Venom has been, former bad guy trying to be a good guy but needing help getting over that precious no-kill barrier Hawkeye has shot through himself recently. Hell, Clint even trained two teams of Thunderbolts, so it wasn't just a fluke. I could even throw Spider-Woman into this whole thing as well, or does it not count when you're hooking up? There's just a complete lack of self awareness in the writing that makes me think this is the way Remender thinks Clint should be written.

Add to it we had Uncanny X-Force this week too, and even the co-plotting of Circle of Four in Venom, this comes in at the bottom of the list.

• Options
    Again, having not read the issue;
    Could it be Clint's showing his own insecurity, as a villain-turned-hero?

Also, since I just saw scans of O'Grady's death over at the Something Awful comics forum, a question comes to mind. Why'd Eric ever get rid of the G.I. Ant-Man suit? A light armor suit with laser guns sure would have come in handy, when he was being stomped to death.

Plus, Hester's design was a lot cooler than the traditional, bedpan-on-head Ant-Man design.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I really don't think
    Lang or Pym are bland.

Plus I mean, O'Grady kind of reached the end of his character growth that would make him different from "snarky hero". Dude has been trying to be a big hero for years now and sacrificed his life to save a child from a group of murderous adaptoids. That seems pretty fufilling to me.

Otherwise he just becomes another superhero or descends back into total asshole territory. Especially since he is on a team with Hawkeye and Venom who are both cocky, snarky assholes.

True. However, these kinds of characters tend to go in cycles with their development like Booster Gold. Pym's done it as well what with confronting Ultron and hitting Jan. I expect when
    O'Grady
    returns he'll have regressed back to being an asshole again.

I thought Hawkeye had evolved beyond being an asshole?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    It didn't read that way with Clint
    Cap and Jim Hammond show up with Flash and the symbiote to say he would be a good asset for the team, as he's been doing covert ops for a while. Clint freaks out and says why should he have such a notorious villain on the team, then yells at Cap for trying to undermine him and kicks them out of the little lair, when we just had this talk between the two in the .1 issue where Clint was also over the top. It would have been great if someone just pointed out the Thunderbolts connection (Cap even trained them at one point, The Redeemers), or other villains turning hero, just to recognize that yes, it can work, but they don't.

Flash is basically where Black Widow was earlier in her career, when that point isn't even mentioned it just seems deliberate for the sake of the story Remender wants to tell, which seems to be the often used leader with something to prove goes over the top and nearly loses the team until he has to lighten up.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    The phrase "Go Limp" has been in two avengers books, two weeks in a row.

How awesome is that?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The symbiote's a flesh-eating monster, and the only things keeping him in check are an alcoholic's capacity for self-control and something Hank Pym designed.

It'd be naive to think that something wouldn't go horribly wrong there.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Yet at the same time we've had the Avengers/Clint try and protect a crazy woman with reality altering powers from getting hit with a cry for justice. Justice!

This is a problem with long running books, the constant changing of what is considered acceptable in terms of reforming. And coming from Clint, of all people, it just seems out of place. If this was Steve being the stern father with Venom, while still being sour for Flash beating him up and taking his motorcycle, that makes more sense. Seeing how it's playing out now, I think a better option for Clint would have been to be the way too lax leader, who tries to be so completely different from Steve or Braddock that he is then forced to be a bit tougher. He wants to be the cool uncle who thinks constant positive feedback, even on the big mistakes and obvious signs of the team walking over him, is better. Flower power over glower power.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I bought this issue thinking Venom would actually, you know, do something in this issue since he is on the cover. I guess coming in blind to the series just because Venom was on the cover was going to smack me in the face.

So, he just joined THIS ISSUE? There was no build up to it? Just wondering. I am trying to keep track of any Venom related story.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
This discussion has been closed.