As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well I can already tell I'll be deleted a WHOLE LOT OF YOU so as to not make my RiderNet score a total joke. What were some of you born with an analog stick in your hands?! I had what I thought was an amazing Trick Run and it's 5 million short of the lowest score on my list haha.

edit: Also I went to the button controls tutorial and it's a whole lot easier than with the analog stick controls. I think this is EA trying to cram in Skate-style controls when it doesn't really need it.

Allforce on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm still getting used to it, but the boarding is pretty fun. Admittedly, this isn't exactly what I wanted out of an SSX game, (I just want more SSX3, with its exploration, side events, the huge full mountain run and DJ Atomika, not the snowboarding equivalent of Trackmania), but it seems worth a purchase.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm slightly mixed on it. The course design seems off.

The stages seem almost too huge, specially for the racing one. I wonder if it's because of them using real topographical data.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Is anyone else using the face buttons for the tricks instead of the right stick?

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    The ones who are disappointed by this - you all are nuts! I am having an absolute blast with this!

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    dammit why is the psn store taking so long to update?

• Options
    Rizzi wrote:
    Is anyone else using the face buttons for the tricks instead of the right stick?

I am, seems to work better. I can't even tell what's going on half the time anyways though once I'm in the air.

I can tell I'm getting better already though, the community will keep this game going for a long time, if you haven't added everyone, do it now because it's way better seeing who you have to catch up to.

• Options
    Allforce wrote:
    Rizzi wrote:

I am, seems to work better. I can't even tell what's going on half the time anyways though once I'm in the air.

I can tell I'm getting better already though, the community will keep this game going for a long time, if you haven't added everyone, do it now because it's way better seeing who you have to catch up to.

That is what is driving me in this demo. I get to a goal, and then I see someone just barely ahead of me.

As for face buttons, nah. Feels weird to me on the 360 controller.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I thought that's what dubstep was
    Negatory. Skrillex is insanely shit tier crap and is in no way representative of what real dubstep is. Him and all of the Skrillex clones out there make what is usually referred to as Brostep. Unfortunately, that's what went mainstream so now people in the know are basically in a constant campaign to get the word out that Skrillex is a giant fucking clown and not indicative of what real Dubstep is. It's honestly kinda crappy that people rail on Dubstep now thanks to his attention deficit garbage being what got big without knowing that there's a whole different world to Dubstep.

Yes, I sound like a giant annoying hipster right now but I don't give a shit cause I'm kinda mad about what's happening with Dubstep. Watching a genre go completely retarded always sucks.

Here, have some Dubstep that isn't crap and styled more like how it used to be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb_AzHth_UM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYIdBZUl2Y
    Spoilered for off topicish Dubstep talk.

Anyhoo:
    1.) OH GOD WHY IS THE COMMERCIAL AT THE START OF THE DEMO? And it's unskippable? Fffffffffffffffff. Hopefully that only plays the first time I start the game.
    2.) Aww shit, my brain keeps thinking this is Tony Hawk and doing the incredibly wrong muscle memory.

TOGSolid on 360 btw.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I just checked and still not on PSN. /disappoint

How much longer do I have to wait?!

• Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    Downloading demo now. My super slow internets means I probably won't be playing this until tomorrow but it's my first time playing an SSX game and I'm kinda excited.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I liked me some Tricky. Just how Tricky is this?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've never played prior SSX games so my following opinions are as a new guy: The camera really blows. It lags behind the player's moves so I'm constantly overcompensating and fucking up turns. The actual board control kinda feels fiddly as fuck too. Also the actual race they start you with really does just feel like a Trackmania course.

EDIT: The actual tricks are kinda boring too. There's no risk/reward to em. Just hit all the buttons as fast as possible to fart out moves until about 10 feet off the ground. Enjoy your score.

EDIT EDIT:
    HOLY CRAP IS THIS GAME SMOOTH. the events they give you are awesome too, the tricky event is on a very dark and snowy mountain
    How do these other events unlock? All I have is the boring as shit starter race.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm. For some reason I thought this was snowboarding rather than noboarding. It feels kind of ridiculous without bindings and such.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Hmm. For some reason I thought this was snowboarding rather than noboarding. It feels kind of ridiculous without bindings and such.

Have you never played or seen any of the prior SSX games before? Cause ridiculous is part of the appeal.

And why isn't this up on the PSN store yet? I really don't want to buy a year of gold just to get a demo early.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    It's not an SSX game unless you can defy gravity.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Come on psn demo, I've waited all day to play this!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    noir_blood wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

Have you never played or seen any of the prior SSX games before? Cause ridiculous is part of the appeal.
    This game doesn't really feel exciting or ridiculous though. Mostly just canned with little room for creativity. Oh well, I hope you guys have fun with it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I cant get gold in either of the events.
    What am I doing wrong? D:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    TOGSolid wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

This game doesn't really feel exciting or ridiculous though. Mostly just canned with little room for creativity. Oh well, I hope you guys have fun with it.

My experience was quite the opposite. There's a lot of routes you can take around the courses, and once you're able to get comfortable with the tricking system, you really can go off the rails with some creative stuff.

Edit: Obviously with total respect to your opinion, of course. Not everyone is going to enjoy a certain game.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    TOGSolid wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

My experience was quite the opposite. There's a lot of routes you can take around the courses, and once you're able to get comfortable with the tricking system, you really can go off the rails with some creative stuff.

Edit: Obviously with total respect to your opinion, of course. Not everyone is going to enjoy a certain game.

Part of the problem is the demo refused to unlock anything but the starting race and racing in a trick based game is the most god awful terrible thing possible since there's only one optimal route. I don't want to race, I want to do stupid shit to get millions of points. If there's some sort of hidden dick I need to suck in the game to get to the part of the game that isn't boring, please let me know.
    Whore dat boost and try to shortcut the gold's racing line here and there. Try and get massive ratings on all your tricks for maximum boost.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tried the 360 demo even though I'm definitely getting the PS3 version. Holy hell this is fun. But wow I need practice... I haven't touched an game in years.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

Part of the problem is the demo refused to unlock anything but the starting race and racing in a trick based game is the most god awful terrible thing possible since there's only one optimal route. I don't want to race, I want to do stupid shit to get millions of points. If there's some sort of hidden dick I need to suck in the game to get to the part of the game that isn't boring, please let me know.
    Whore dat boost and try to shortcut the gold's racing line here and there. Try and get massive ratings on all your tricks for maximum boost.

You don't have to unlock any tracks. The demo has 2 tracks. The race event in the Rockies or the Trick event in New Zealand.

The Trick event is tough for me. I can only get 9 million and change. Edging closer though.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I love this game....but fuck if I get infuriated when trying to break your time records and fucking up. Like, there were one or two races where I would've been top in the first race they let you do, but I either take a wrong path or fly to high. ARRRG. I am done for the night.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dversed wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

You don't have to unlock any tracks. The demo has 2 tracks. The race event in the Rockies or the Trick event in New Zealand.

The Trick event is tough for me. I can only get 9 million and change. Edging closer though.

There's a thing in New Zealand? God damnit. I just hadn't spun the globe far enough. *goes to redownload it*

Brain no worky worky after spending a week in a half in a 6 foot x 2 foot x 4 foot crawlspace for 8 hours a day at work. Tired and sore as shit yo so I'm pretty much full retard atm.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I kind of want to buy a PS3 or a 360. Just for this demo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:

Apparently they have magnets on their boots/boards, if you look closely.

Where is the goddamn PSN demo? The 21st is almost over!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Let's hope the PSN updates soon. I'm actually getting close to signing up for a month of Gold just to get the demo now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I really wish grind and jump weren't on opposite sides of the buttons in classic controls.

I also wish you didn't have to press a button to grind, it's messing with my head. :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolid hit on something though, and now that I think about it there is really a lot of truth to it since the more I play it truly does feel like "fart out moves until about 10 feet off the ground. Enjoy your score.". At least in the old games I feel like you had to land with your board on the ground or you'd crash, this one just state "release all buttons to land safely!" and voila!, score increase.

I know there's some nuance in there but so far I like the racing levels the best, as no matter how many tricks I pull off I still can barely top 4 million in the Trick Races. Knights and Local H have like 14 million and I can't figure out what they're doing differently even when I follow a ghost down the entire run!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    the idea is to pull little tricks in between huge ones to help build up boost, and then keep those tricks varied so you get a better score. if you aren't tricking, you should be boosting. i actually suck really bad at racing mode but on tricky i can rack them up because the game is very forgiving with landing huuuge tricks.

oh and just FYI i've been using the analog controls and feel they really are awesome, but i wish there was a more noticeable 'about to jump' animation, like in skate where it's very obvious you are bending at the knees to jump. would help my timing a bunch.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    TOGSolid hit on something though, and now that I think about it there is really a lot of truth to it since the more I play it truly does feel like "fart out moves until about 10 feet off the ground. Enjoy your score.". At least in the old games I feel like you had to land with your board on the ground or you'd crash, this one just state "release all buttons to land safely!" and voila!, score increase.

I know there's some nuance in there but so far I like the racing levels the best, as no matter how many tricks I pull off I still can barely top 4 million in the Trick Races. Knights and Local H have like 14 million and I can't figure out what they're doing differently even when I follow a ghost down the entire run!

This is sort of true, but SSX3 had the "finish your rotation super quick the instant you let off the buttons" thing too, just would punish you for being overagressive with the ubers, which this one doesn't seem to do as much.

As far as the trick thing goes, just get big combo and uber all the things. All I did. :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tried the trick section out. It felt just like the race section only with a different scoring method. Either way, both modes just emphasize finding that one best line and then mashing buttons as hard as possible when in the air until you're just about to land.

Oh well, I was kinda hype for this but it just ain't for me.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Man, I really really liked the demo, but it's releasing at a terrible time. I have two games I just bought that I want to finish and ME3 comes out literally one week later.

I don't know that I can justify spending $60 just to shelve it in a few days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Psn store still isn't updated but the demo can still be found and downloaded in the store by doing a search for ssx.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Tried the trick section out. It felt just like the race section only with a different scoring method. Either way, both modes just emphasize finding that one best line and then mashing buttons as hard as possible when in the air until you're just about to land.

Oh well, I was kinda hype for this but it just ain't for me.
    funny you say that, i felt the lack of a time restraint on tricky mode opens the map up for exploration and being creative. i tend to try to go a different path each time to see which areas are better for pulling off big tricks. and 'button mashing' is kinda stupid when it's easy to pull off unique moves, and it rewards you for doing so. if you mash then you will repeat tricks and get less points.
    i mean sure you can mash and do okay but it's hardly fun or how it's meant to be played

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    PSN finally updated, SSX demo ads everywhere. That's certainly as last minute as you can get.

Rocking the SSX theme now while I download.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm not ecstatic about the demo, but I do like the trick system, although first impression is that you can only do one Uber? Maybe I'm just not understanding it yet.

I think it'll be fun, although I'm not liking the first track in the demo. Hopefully it's not indicative of the general design.

• Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

Sorry if this comes off a bit patronizing, but are you doing board presses in between tricks to get combos going?

I mean, this also links into the whole risk aspect of the game - the problem was never /landing/ your tricks, but it was keeping up a 20x multiplier and knowing when to quit and bank it. Anyone can hit up a jump and land a fairly decent trick, but it takes skill and practice to build that initial trick into a 10 million monster.

Flicking between these boards, merqurycity and SA, I'm fairly pleased that the disappointment factor is low (although it does suck that some first timers aren't loving it as hard as the old hands). Being in the UK, I'll hopefully be able to download it tonight after work! Will be sending out friend invites on PSN =]

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Board pressing? Is that like a manual? Didn't even know that was a thing in this game.
    I mean, this also links into the whole risk aspect of the game - the problem was never /landing/ your tricks, but it was keeping up a 20x multiplier and knowing when to quit and bank it. Anyone can hit up a jump and land a fairly decent trick, but it takes skill and practice to build that initial trick into a 10 million monster.
    OG Tony Hawk was the same way, the difference was that the tricks felt meaty and awesome. I feel really disconnected from SSX and don't get any sort of feeling of speed and ridiculousness from it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png