As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Latop or Desktop?

lolwuthalplolwuthalp Registered User regular
Yo! I posted this in the help/advice category but it some of the threads in there were pretty whack so I bailed, apologies. EDIT: I am aware that posting the same question in two different forums isn't cool now. you guys can stop messaging me and I wont do it again xoxoxox

Alright guys, I've got myself a predicament.
My laptop just started arkin and sparkin and blowin up, so now I need to get a new one.
I've got about $1300 at the moment and I have no idea what to purchase. I cant even decide if I want to rock a laptop or a desktop.

Now, if I were to buy a laptop, I'd probably go a 13inch MacBook Pro. I've never had a Mac but one of my mates swears by em. I've used it a couple of times and I enjoyed it. However, I was talking to a tech savvy friend last night and he mentioned that he'd just finished putting together a computer for his brother in-law. I'm now considering asking him to put one together for me. I don't do much PC gaming anymore. Unfortunately I have moved onto consoles. I have no idea how far $1300 would stretch in the world of gaming PC's but if my friend could pull some strings, I would def. be getting back into it.

So, my idea is that if I do decide to roll the desktop, I was going to use my TV as my monitor. Its a 32inch Sony Bravia. I figure that this way, I can spend more money on the tower and not have to screw around with getting a monitor. Then all I would need is a wireless keyboard and mouse. Is this a good idea or am I just getting far too excited for my own good?

Any advice/help/clarification/complaints would be fantastic. Especially if you have been in the same position or have the same desktop/tv setup.

Cheers, Max.

lolwuthalp on

• lolwuthalplolwuthalp Registered User regular
    no Latop jokes!

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well, there's no doubt about it: A 1300 dollar desktop will be one powerful machine if your friend even slightly knows what he's doing. You can get a great case, a truly fast cpu, loads of RAM, a great GPU, an awesome motherboard, a SSD, and a decent amount of storage for that amount of money no problem. Is your TV 720p or 1080p? If only 720p, I'd consider getting a monitor for it instead... Dell has some great ones for surprisingly cheap.

And there's also no doubt about it: The 13" Macbook Pro is a truly excellent laptop. You won't be doing anything but mild gaming on it, but for most general computing purposes, even some more demanding stuff (I ran Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Logic on my old Core 2 Duo one, so the newer i5 and i7 versions should be able to handle them all quite competently), it works absolutely great. The battery life is truly excellent, the build quality is industry leading, and OS X is a great, efficient operating system (not accounting for personal interface preferences). If you upgrade the RAM yourself, you can cram it full of the stuff and save a good chunk of what Apple is asking for.

So... what do you actually want from this computer? Would you appreciate the portability of a laptop? Would you appreciate the power of a desktop like that?

If you can see yourself doing any significant amount of gaming on this new machine, the desktop is the way to go. If you can see yourself wanting to take it places, but only do some mild gaming (ie. most current games on low to medium settings), then the 13" Macbook Pro is the way to go.

Both are fine choices, but I can't tell you what you want.

floobie on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If you wanna play GAMES!!, desktop from here to eternity. I mean, i know you abandoned pc gaming, but a 1300 desktop can be your ticket back. We have Steam, we have superior versions of all multiplat games, we have native 360 pad support, we have mods, we have a lot of cool indie stuff (I have a bunch of consoles too, and portables, but the PC is my first and forever love).

If all you want is internets and Office, go macbook. They're nice and shiny and sexy and easy.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    If he wants to play games he's already got an xbox. A $1300 dickwaving pc isn't a good idea when you realize 99% of PC games out today are terrible 360 ports.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Falken wrote:
    If he wants to play games he's already got an xbox. A $1300 dickwaving pc isn't a good idea when you realize 99% of PC games out today are terrible 360 ports.

Terrible ports except that they're better in every way? There are also plenty of PC-exclusive games if you're into strategy games.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    What would you do with a laptop? If you're a student or you travel for work, it might be a good idea.

I've been out of school for years, and I couldn't imagine what I'd want out of one. Desktops are worlds cheaper, if you're willing to make the space for one.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Alot of people go for the laptop because it's in bed, in the kitchen, on the couch etc.
    My wife hasn't even setup her desktop from when we moved three years ago.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well, for $1200 you could probably get both if you wanted to go cheap on each. Even a $600 build desktop will play games at 1080p that current consoles can't play at 720p. You'll probably have to settle for a terrible screen and build quality on your laptop though.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Falken wrote:

Terrible ports except that they're better in every way? There are also plenty of PC-exclusive games if you're into strategy games.

A new xbox is $300. Are those ports a thousand dollars better?

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The only reason to get a desktop these days is for Gaming & Power Users (Video/Graphics) so if you don't see yourself getting into either, notebook it is.

Though I'd say take a long look at the Macbook Airs over the Macbook pro.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Falken wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Falken wrote:

A new xbox is $300. Are those ports a thousand dollars better?

You don't need a $1300 PC to beat an XBox. But this argument has been had a billion times on every forum ever, so I'm not even going to bother.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The only reason to get a desktop these days is for Gaming & Power Users (Video/Graphics) so if you don't see yourself getting into either, notebook it is.

Though I'd say take a long look at the Macbook Airs over the Macbook pro.

Yeah, the Air is a ridiculously powerful machine for the price, and it is light and super portable.

I can also play Portal 2 well enough on my 11" Air, and it will run Diablo III like a treat if the beta is any indication.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Falken wrote:

I have an xbox and i do 90% of my gaming on the PC
    LULZ UPINIUMS.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SaarSaar Registered User regular
    You might also want to look into a refurbished Mac mini and iPad. Both could be had for well under $1300.

Hook the mini up to your TV and use it as light desktop / media server. Plex, webdav and Ignition will give the iPad all of your media, documents and control of the mini while you're out and about. If you don't like typing on the iPad there are cases with built in keyboards or you could just pair a BT keyboard to it.