As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] POST IN NEW THREAD!!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

lemming.jpg

Anyone who is going to PAX and wants to meet up with other PA SC2 players PM narwhal!

PA Tournaments!

The weekly 1v1 PA Tournament has been created and hosted by Invictus, NOT MNC DOVER! PM Invictus if you have questions.

Game VODs Playlist (will be updated throughout the season):

Brainling vs. Princesscake
Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
Technical difficulties! Will be posted later in the week.

mtBiosys vs. Hummingbird
TannerMS vs. Dhal
Enderwiggnz vs. Callow
Here's the full description of the Team League, and I think everything is now official, so we're just waiting for things to start. PM me when you know what's up, captains!

Full Description of the Team League

Overview

Format will be individual matchups of Bo3s, with the competitors in each matchup being set ahead of time (proleague style, not winner's league or GSTL-style, for those of you that know what that means). Each matchup will be between players who are relatively close in skill: to be specific, all competitors will be ranked in three brackets. The highest bracket is GM through diamond, the next bracket is plat/gold, the last bracket is silver/bronze. Each competitor will always (with optional exceptions) face someone from their bracket. Bracket placements will be set at the beginning of the season for the entire season, so if a player is promoted from silver to gold during the season, they do not change brackets. Each team will have a similar number of players in each bracket to the other teams, though each team may have (for example) more GM through diamond players than silver/bronze players. The amount of matchups in each team versus team match will vary from week to week, based on who is available to play.

A more detailed explanation of the (relatively complex) setup follows, in spoiler.
At the beginning of each week, each team captain tells the person running the league how many players on that team can play that week, and which bracket those players are in. For each match between two teams, the league commissioner looks at the availability report for each team and tells each team how many Bo3s their match will involve, based on how many good matchups can be made from the available players.

Complication: Only an even number of good matchups can be made. Solution: Have an ace match, if necessary. The ace match consists of a player from each team in the highest bracket in which a matchup was played in that set.

Complication: A minimal number of good matchups are available, given the two availability reports. Solution: Matchups between people in different groups are optional, for the teams. If both teams decide that they'd like to have a match between two people who are in separate groups, they can. The league commissioner is responsible for putting out some plausible optional matchups.

Example follows, in spoiler.
Example: (example done entirely with variables, I know it's hard to read, just bear with me)
Team Alpha plays Team Beta.
Team Alpha has the following availability:

Player A, top group (GM)
Player B, top group (masters)
Player C, mid group, plat
Player D, mid group, gold
Player E, low group, bronze

Team Beta has the following availability.

Player 1, top group, GM
Player 2, mid group, gold
Player 3, low group, silver
Player 4, low group, bronze
Player 5, low group, bronze

League commissioner says, here are your matches for the week.

A v 1
C vs 2
E vs 4
optional: D vs 3

They play out the week, and as a matter of fact, A beats 1, C beats 2, 4 beats E, and after both teams agree to play the optional match, 3 takes the upset victory over that snotty goldy D. So they're tied at 2-2. They play an ace match. Since a top bracket matchup was played (A vs 1), the ace match is a matchup of two top bracket players. Unfortunately, A can't make it to the ace match, so B plays for him instead (still a top group player), but B falls to 1 in the ace match. Beta wins, 3-2.

Schedules
Weekly Schedule for Team League: Matches run on a Friday - Thursday schedule. You must play your matches sometime in that time period. Matchups will be released on Wednesday evening, two days before the first day of the match. The default time to play your matches is Saturday from 2-4, EST. If you can't negotiate a good time with your opponent to have your match, by default it should happen during that time. If an assigned match is not played before the end of the week, I will determine a winner by random number generator of my choice (barring extreme circumstances).

Full schedule of matches:

Week of Friday, February 17th, through Thursday, February 23rd: Team Professional Photon Cyclists vs Vari's Team. Team Clownkiller vs Mmmig's Team.

Week of Friday, February 24th, through Thursday, March 2nd: Team Professional Photon Cyclists vs Team Clownkiller. Vari's vs Mmmig's Team.

Week of Friday, March 3rd, through Thursday, March 9th: Team Professional Photon Cyclists vs Mmmig's Team. Team Clownkiller vs Vari's Team.

Week of Friday, March 10th, through Thursday, March 16th: Practice week before playoffs!

Week of Friday, March 17th through Thursday, March 23rd: Playoffs! The top-seeded team from the regular season will face the second-seeded team in a showdown for the championship, and the third- and fourth-seeded teams will play for third place!

Seedings will be determined by (in order)
1. Record in team matches
2. Head to head results
3. Record in individual matchups (Bo3s) (percentage)
4. Record in individual games (percentage)

The Team Rosters and Race Breakdown:
Team Professional Photon Cyclists
LWT
Kedinik (captain) - Zerg
Impyrocker – racepicker between P/Z – the race he is playing will be announced with the weekly matchups.
TannerMS - Zerg
Keamien - Terran

SMC
PantsB - Protoss
Iowa - Terran
crucialityfactor - Protoss
Rhapsody - Protoss

P&P
Narwhal - Protoss

Team Vari
LWT
Variable (captain) - Terran
Dhal – Protoss
Kambing - Zerg
Sorc - Protoss

SMC
Kebeh - Zerg
loserforhirex / jadewombat - Terran
TheSquid - Protoss
Salvation - Protoss

P&P
thirtyeighth - Terran

JustCheese League
LWT
Meeks (captain) - Zerg
Hummingbird – Random
Trunkers - Protoss
Redraptor / megabuster - Random

SMC
Mvrck - Terran
kime - Zerg
ImthebOHGODBEES / demonllama - Zerg

P&P
GnomeTank / Brainling - Protoss
joe K / EnderWiggnz - Zerg

Proxy Tossgirl
LWT
Sceptre - Protoss
Biosys - Zerg
Heartslash / Jeff - Zerg
Mosez - Protoss

SMC
Mmmig (captain) - Terran
Saaruto / Topp - Terran
Euphemon / Vikingkong - Zerg

P&P
tiballagher / princesscake - Random
hlprmnky / Callow - Zerg

Meeks: T1 - 2 Random, Zerg, Protoss
T2 - 2 Zerg, Terran
T3 - Zerg, Protoss
Total: 2 Random, 4 Zerg, 2 Protoss, 1 Terran

MMMig: T1 - 2 Zerg, 2 Protoss
T2 - Zerg, Protoss, Terran
T3 - Zerg, Random
Total: 1 Random, 4 Zerg, 3 Protoss, 1 Terran

Vari: T1 - 1 Zerg, 2 Protoss, Terran
T2 - 2 Zerg, Protoss, Terran
T3 - Terran
Total: 3 Zerg, 3 Protoss, 3 Terran

Kednik: T1 - 2 Zerg, Protoss, Terran
T2 - 3 Protoss, Terran
T3 - Protoss
Total: 2 Zerg, 5 Protoss, 2 Terran

Official Rules

Directions for Captains
By noon, EST, on Wednesday before the start of a competitive week on Friday (e.g., on Feb. 15th when the week starts on the 17th), the captains must PM to me a list of the available players for them, that week. This list must be broken up into three parts: the first part, an ordered list of what we have been calling the 'first bracket' players and from heretofore will be known as the "Ladder? What's That?" ('LWT' or 'Ladder' for short) players, the second part, an ordered list of what we have been calling the 'second bracket' players and from heretofore will be known as the "So Much Cheese in My League" ('SMC' or 'Cheese' for short) players, and the third part, an ordered list of what we have been calling the 'third bracket' players and from heretofore will be known as the "Probes and Pylons" ('P&P' for short) players.

The order of these players is associated with an order of maps. That is, the first LWT player in the list will play on the first map under the LWT map list (Daybreak), the second LWT player will play on the second LWT map (Cloud Kingdom), and so on for all the players, LWT and otherwise. This means that decisions about order of play also determine which maps people will play on, which introduces a strategic element into the ordering process.

Best of Three play and Map Pool
Map Pool:
Blizzard Entombed Valley
Blizzard Shakuras Plateau 2.0
Blizzard Tal'darim Altar LE
ESV Cloud Kingdom
GSL Antiga Shipyards
GSL Daybreak

A matchup between two players will consist of series of two or three games, played to the first to win two games. The first game will occur on the map the two players were assigned to by their ordering for that week's match. That leaves five maps in the pool. Each player may veto one of these five maps. The player whose PA forum name is earlier in the alphabet must veto first. If one player has no PA forum name, that person vetoes first. After those vetoes, three maps remain. The loser of the first game may choose from those three remaining maps which map will be used for the second game. If a third game is necessary, the loser of the second game chooses from the two remaining maps which map will be used for the third game. No map should be played twice in a single series.

If an ace match is necessary, the starting map will be the first map in the map list for the bracket of the players playing in the ace match. The rest of the ace match acts as above.

Map Lists
“Ladder? What's that?” Map List
1st map: GSL Daybreak
2nd map: ESV Cloud Kingdom
3rd map: Blizzard Tal'Darim Altar LE
4th map: GSL Antiga Shipyards

“So Much Cheese in My League” Map List
1st map: GSL Antiga Shipyards
2nd map: Blizzard Entombed Valley
3rd map: GSL Daybreak
4th map: Blizzard Tal'Darim Altar LE

“Probes and Pylons” Map List
1st map: Blizzard Shakuras Plateau
2nd map: GSL Antiga Shipyards

The reason I structure things like this is to make the league resilient both to variance in week-to-week participation and to people who stop showing up entirely. I think, given the number of people involved, these things will just happen and we ought to play for them. Moreover, this is a pretty short-term plan, with just four weeks of competition. If we think changes should be made to the structure, they can be made after the first season.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns make sure to PM Invictus, not MNC Dover!

I want to play SC2 awesome like everyone else!

So, the SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff. In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

And finally....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thats such a sad thread title. Just quote drunkTanner or something.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    That might get him infracted.

Here's a pic of some narwhals:
    fmfah.jpg

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I'm going to repeat this.

Pants :bz !

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I'm going to repeat this.

When are you foosl playing\.?

See there you go.

• narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    I like the thread title. mostly because it has my name in it

Narwhal#1834
  • Kb9kahneKb9kahne Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dont worry team I played narwhal and 3 rax all ined her and flew all of my stuff to her base and landed it there. That'll teach her to mess with our baby terran.
    http://drop.sc/117160

Kb9kahne on
    11917-1.png
    theSquid wrote:
    See there you go.

my life for thread titles

I'm such an idiot...I've had the MLG stream open for like 40 minutes waiting for them to come back from intermission...I get the feeling that it might not happen.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i think im going to learn to ride motorbikes

does anyone have any advice regarding how many lessons to get?

i want to buy a kawasaki ninja as my first bike because it gets great recommendations and a co-worker learned to ride recently and bought one

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote:
    kedinik wrote:
    Re: What to do in event of 3-3, 4-4, etc.

"Solution: Have an ace match, if necessary. The ace match consists of a player from each team in the highest bracket in which a matchup was played in that set."

So a little unclear but I definitely misread it earlier.

Basically we each send out a tier 1 champion who played this week.

It is only unclear as to who decides who the players are, and that was to be the captain. In fact, that player does not have to have played that week. You can check the example I gave.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Sorry but I really did laugh out loud that you saw fit to tell me in two separate threads that it was, in point of fact, clearly worded.

OBJECTION!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    so in the rules it says the first loser gets to pick both maps, is that actually rhe case, no problem if it is becuas erthe map pool is pretty good but i've been wondering

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Oh right, that came up in my game with Tanner and we followed the rules and I picked both 2nd and 3rd set maps but it seems weird to do it that way.

edited February 2012
    TannerMS wrote:
    so in the rules it says the first loser gets to pick both maps, is that actually rhe case, no problem if it is becuas erthe map pool is pretty good but i've been wondering

That's a typo. loser of second game picks third map.

@MNC Dover Can you change the sentence in the spoiler under "Best of Three play and Map Pool" that says
    "If a third game is necessary, the loser of the first game may choose from the two remaining maps which map will be used for the third game."
    to
    "If a third game is necessary, the loser of the second game chooses from the two remaining maps which map will be used for the third game."

Invictus on
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Oh right, that came up in my game with Tanner and we followed the rules and I picked both 2nd and 3rd set maps but it seems weird to do it that way.

I apologize. strictly a typo.

it's not actually that big of a deal because the map pool is really good, I didn't know what to veto tbh

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hahahaha shit yes!!! I thought this was lost to the void forever, since the vod on their site was removed a couple of months back, but an enterprising friend tracked down a utube upload I didn't know existed. Behold glorious hi-silver/lo-gold action in the first casted match of the day (I was accepted into the tourney 15 mins before it began). For the swarm!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUHVHPUxs9c
    I will treasure this as my one and only moment of e-fame (hey it's got 14 views as I'm writing this)!

I find SCVrush to be pretty good at making small amateur events like this quite entertaining, imo.

Panda4You on
    Sheth is just the bossiest of bosses.

edited February 2012
    Shethshethshetheshthshethshtershethsheth liquid only needs one man and you can type his name with just one hand

TannerMS on
    that's a pretty quick GG from IdrA.

I mean, I'm not really surprised, but...

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    At this point, it's not even worth taking note of it.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    I mentioned this in chat, but Idra was off-cycle on larva when he lost those last set of lings and he had no banelings at home (which was his actual mistake). He was going to take game-ending losses from the remaining lings, so the gg was reasonable.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    Kambing wrote:
    I mentioned this in chat, but Idra was off-cycle on larva when he lost those last set of lings and he had no banelings at home (which was his actual mistake). He was going to take game-ending losses from the remaining lings, so the gg was reasonable.

edited February 2012
    TannerMS wrote:
    Kambing wrote:

Thank you for quoting me! Here's a quote in return! ^_^

(Oh, the forum upgrade came with auto-quote nesting. That's nice.)

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That mineral walk with the drones to the natural was. I don't know.
    Not the greatest idea.

stimtokolos on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:

i want to buy a kawasaki ninja as my first bike because it gets great recommendations and a co-worker learned to ride recently and bought one

Don't.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

Don't.

First, go here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/97328/motorcyclin-the-country-side/p1

Second, which Ninja? 250cc, 650cc, etc? Personally, I have an ER6N, which is a naked Ninja 650, and I love it.

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I had to post this. It was too funny. Also, Mig loves this caster, so I thought he'd really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0ay_lO7h8&feature=g-all-u&context=G27a607dFAAAAAAAAAAA

Daily stream live. 4s with Jade, Narwhal, and Invictus.

Houn wrote:
    Mvrck wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

Don't.

First, go here:

Second, which Ninja? 250cc, 650cc, etc? Personally, I have an ER6N, which is a naked Ninja 650, and I love it.

250cc. In Western Australia, first year motorcyclists are restricted to 250cc at max. I'll probably only keep it for a year, then upgrade to a bigger sports bike.

Dhalphir wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    Mvrck wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

Don't.

First, go here:

250cc. In Western Australia, first year motorcyclists are restricted to 250cc at max. I'll probably only keep it for a year, then upgrade to a bigger sports bike.

You're going to the same post-marriage thoughts that I did Dhal: get married --> buy motorcycle.

Turns out I got vetoed by the better half before I went through on it. And then I went to grad school where I have no money for such fun things.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, the Ninja 250 is like, the starter bike. And if you're stuck on a 250cc for the first year, might as well be that one.

Yeah my other half is not keen on the idea. We are in a pretty good financial position though, so it will only be her concerns for my safety, which while touching, are not going to stop me if thats the only thing.

Also I don't drive a particularly fast car right now anyway, its a v6 manual sedan. Has some punch for the car it is, but I'm sure a 250cc motorcycle will be plenty exciting enough compared to that.

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I have a ninja 650. It's a great bike.

sidenote: grubby has become one of my favorite streamers. He is always talking to the crowd which makes streams so much better.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Did someone say Australians on motorcycles?

Risky but maybe worth the risk.

http://youtu.be/0hUrcGCQV1g

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    btw guys why do y'all still have the black and white icons we made so long ago? >_>
    We should do something new.

Narwhal#1834
    Too lazy to change it.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Condolences to Team Prison Yard on falling to Narwhal.

It's ok though.

Starting this Friday, your fears will pale in comparison when you go up against the next team, and you will see these current times as joyful and peaceful while longing for their return.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra