As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wiz-War Tournament] Discussion thread (Championship starting, 12ish in The Pit)

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    cantripper

PSN SeGaTai
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Darian wrote:
    Might want to include the FAQ with the link to the rules, especially since the line of site and movement-attack-movement examples in the rulebook are wrong.

Also, cantripper

Darian, you are just all types of helpful. OP updated.

ObiFett on
  • artadiusartadius Registered User regular
    Sounds fun!

!YouShallNotPass

Cantripper

Moderating BSG Game 25
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Cantripper

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Cantripper

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Cantripper

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Cantripper here.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    i see a trend developing here... :P

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    El Skid wrote:
    i see a trend developing here... :P
    Yeah with the two pre-signups I figured there mightbe a few pros around. But its cool to have a random set up where everyone was in the same boat.

So color me excited!

Bedlam on
    I am a dang ol wiz who has got to get his war on!

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Cantripper as well

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Posting game threads now. You should all be getting PMs shortly with your starting hands.

edited February 2012
    Hands have been PM'd to all. The formatting was less than ideal, sorry. I will work on that for the future.

Game will start on the 21st by default. Individual games can start sooner if everyone posts they are ready in the thread.

Make sure to PM me any rules for your counter spells.

Read the OP for your game.

And make sure to read the actual game rules

ObiFett on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    I just want to say before we begin, ObiFett, thanks. You're awesome for even trying to pull this off. Your efforts are appreciated.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    Are the finals going to be a five player thing, then?

Thanks, Goodomens. :D

And Bedlam, yes, it will be a five player championship. 3 VPs to win.

edited February 2012
    I feel like I should clarify one thing that confused all of our players in our first game and is probably even less clear when dealing with text based cards:

Energy is used to buff spells or boost movement.

Boosting Spells
    The base energy value of every spell is ONE. As a result, without adding energy, every temporary spell only lasts one turn and every spell that refers to its energy is referring to its base of ONE.

You can buff every temporary spell to last longer and most other spells to have a greater base energy. This is done by discarding another card with an energy value along with playing the spell you want to buff. The spell's base energy is then replaced with the energy value of the card you discarded.

For example, if you had these two cards:
    Name Casting Type Targeting Duration Description Energy Value
    Shield Counter Self Instant Reduce damage being dealt to you from a single source by this spell's energy plus 2. 2
    Pick Lock Neutral Adjacent Instant Unlock target door, it re-locks after you pass through it. This can not be countered. 3

The energy value of 2 and 3 for the Shield and Pick Lock spells respectively are not the spell's base energy. Base energy is always ONE. The energy values are the amount that can be used to buff another spell's energy OR to use for speed boosting.

So Shield, by itself, has a base energy of one which means it only blocks 3 damage on its own. However, if someone did 5 damage to you and you wanted to prevent all five damage, you could discard the Pick Lock spell (which has an energy value of 3) as an energy buff for shield. This would change the energy value of Shield to 3 (the Pick Lock spell's energy value) and shield would now block 5 damage.

Boosting Movement
    Once during your Move and Cast Phase (at any point during that phase) you can discard a card with an energy value and you immediately gain a number of movement points equal to the energy value on that spell. This is very important.

TLDR: The energy value on cards is the alternate use of that card. You use the energy value on cards to boost spells or boost movement.

ObiFett on
    Oh that does help. Thanks obbi :D

np ;-)

Also, I have a better format for sending out hands, you should all have a PM containing a much easier to read starting hand

edited February 2012
    Are doors preset or distributed randomly? Ive noticed two games where red has two doors.

Edit: must be preset, since thats the same title in both games just rotated differently.

Bedlam on
    You are like a pro at answering your own questions. :D

Yeah I have plenty of time so I figured Id doublecheck things while waiting.

To be fair id be the same way at a table. Say the question out loud then look it up myself if the book was in my hand, or wait for the person holding it to answer.

the good thing is that its a question I'm sure someone else would ask. So its extremely helpful.

Its like you are a living FAQ.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:

Not for long.

Tayrun wrote:
    ObiFett wrote:

Not for long.
    Id be scared but getting such a good start is more likly to get you dogpiled. Such is the pendulum of FFA.

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    I think GtC wins best opening. That was beautiful (Game 4).

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure it was the best move, but I'll be damned if it wasn't the most fun one I could think of.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fantastic.

• HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    Darian wrote:
    I think GtC wins best opening. That was beautiful (Game 4).
    I'd also like to bring up Matev's opening turn from Game 5:
    -Drop the 5 energy card to pump my movement up to 8.
    -Then cast Mad Dash! Which should up my movement to 16 for this turn.
    -Proceed to move West 1 square (C6)
    -Proceed North 2 Squares (A6)
    -Proceed West 1 Square (A5)
    -Proceed South 2 Squares (C6)
    -Step through the portal to the East (F2)
    -Proceed East 2 Squares (F4)
    -Draw two cards

3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Man, gonna have to up my game with themes for each turn now. Damn you GtC!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Is there a wiki or database to look up card images? Ive done some google image searches but mostly get the old game cards with those.

Two normally, unless you hit your maximum hand size.

And your hand size is defined as:

Cards in your hand + maintained spells + held items (not counting treasures)

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Obi, it is a pleasure to read all the game threads. You are doing a fantastic job.
    Now I just need to get in on the next one (and maybe pick up the game myself...).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Thanks!

Its turned out to be more fun to run than I thought it would.

FYI about dice rolls.

I have and will be doing all the dice rolls. The dice roll notes you see in the actual orders have been put in by me.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    If/when you try it, beware of angry wolves. :P

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited February 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It never occurred to me to pick up my own treasures and hide them... the other threads are good reads!
    Yeah I didnt even realise you could voluntarily discard effects either.

The way this is set up has been really easy on new players.

Bedlam on
    What players are going to have to quickly realize, hopefully by reading other threads, is that if everyone just ignores each other on the way to each other treasures then it just becomes a race to see who has the most energy and can move the farthest the most often.

Defensive play is almost necessary. And the best defense is stealing a scored treasure back once a wizard drops it in their home base. Because all it takes is two treasures to win. And I saw someone move 16 spaces in one turn in a game here.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Congrats, El Skid, on the first tourney kill! :^:

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1