As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ryan's thread of shame.

• MAKE WHAT WITH THE PAINTING
    dumbyellowshirt.gif

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thanks guys, I decided to take a little bit of time to think about the critique and paintover. In the end I decided that I am not going to make the pretty massive changes suggested and will be continuing with the painting tonight. I am also going to start coating the damn thing in liquin so the entire painting at least appears wet, so that the photos come out a bit better I hope (and also the final). Harris definitely doesn't coat his paintings to make them shiny but I am not so competent with my color choices.

I will go into more detail as to why I decided not to make the changes when I update.

rts on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I hope you realise that doesn't constitute a real update. So make with a real update.

Mustang on
    Say what you want, that man can paint. Just because he chooses not to...

Oh I changed my post because I didn't see the second page update.......for posterity reasons I compared Cake to Thomas Kincade. Who can paint, but that doesn't make him not terrible.

• Shit, by embracing that .gif by making it into your avatar you've left me flummoxed- now I don't know whether to create a series of increasingly insulting poorly drawn .gifs in response to a lack of updates, or to withhold further insulting animated .gifs until such time that you finish the painting. :x

Actually while I haven't been working on the painting during the last couple of days I have been working on some flash animation a little bit. Some caricatures that I am trying to bring to life a little. I am planning to ask for your input in the near future on it.

edited February 2012
    Ah wow I thought it was only two days but I guess it was three that I skipped? Damn, this is why I really need to stick with these daily updates...that is an incredible amount of time lost.

I know I said I would give a more in depth explanation as to why I decided not to make the changes suggested but I just don't have the energy right now. Maybe tomorrow.

2-8-12.jpg

FYI the dark areas in the engines need to get to be about the same value as the dark areas around them (the sort of greenish fog). All of the red/lit parts of the thrusters also need to get lighter.

rts on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Something about those two ships looks so incredibly flimsy and lego-toy. The top one especially, it's nose looks bent?

I am not sure if you don't like the design or are seeing a drawing error. Either way they are still white of the board, no paint on them yet so their shape is definitely not what it will be.

2-9-12.jpg

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The coating is definitely helping the photos, at least.

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I think he is too busy yelling at his yellow shirt.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cake this thread is all dusty and shit. I am ashamed of this. Its like its been abandoned for years. Just sad.

• SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    We're all obviously not doing nearly a good enough job at shaming him...

MvViV.jpg
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Man I go away for a few days and come back to this massive disappointment.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    :(

even I painted more this week.

I'm about 600kms from my paints, and I painted more.

MvViV.jpg
  • MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    We demand updates! We must have them!

Haha, I am not ignoring you guys. I will be painting again tonight. Thanks for your support. I will be posting some of what I was working on instead of this painting over the last few days in the doodle thread near future (concept art stuff).

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    We need more shame threads.

edited February 2012
    2-17-12.jpg

rts on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I cant tell if you darkened the painting or if that's just the photo lighting changing

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yeah, your progress is rather... slow. I know you are used the the really slow layering of pencil to achieve form but I think you could be a lot more bold when painting. Instead of trying to do a masterwork straight off, I would suggest doing shit tons of quick paintings. THEN slow down.

Mostly its the light changing, all I did this time around was try to even up some of the values, not darken them.

I am just going to keep painting the way I want to paint. Honestly I think one of the things which has caused me to be so frustrated with the medium in the past was trying to do what I see other people doing, or doing what they tell me to. I am not a great painter, I know that. I probably never will be. I struggle a lot with value and color mixing in oil. In digital it is so easy to make the wrong decision first and eventually work up to the right one using just your eye, but in oil painting working this way takes an extraordinarily long time. I will get faster as these skills improve, but doing a bunch of quick paintings isn't going to help as much as slowly working through and making the right choices. Quick work is done through good decision making, not actually working quickly.

When I spoke to John Harris in November one of the things he said to me which really made me think I wanted to head in the direction he has gone with his work (something I was already considering) was that he had never really enjoyed painting throughout his career, up until about two years ago. He wanted to produce these awesome paintings but didn't really enjoy painting. It's pretty much exactly how I feel. So he found a way to paint that was satisfying to him and pushed onward.

In any case, over the last couple of weeks I have been looking at the pretty significant number of job openings in concept art and game art in general, particularly in my area and I have decided to make a serious effort to pursue concept art for employment. Illustration is a very competitive field where the competition keeps getting better, but the jobs are getting fewer and paying less and less. While I still want to pursue illustration I am thinking of it more as a way to supplement my income or as a hobby which brings in a little extra money every now and then. There are a lot of fantastic illustrators out there who do this, and it allows them to pick and choose their jobs a little bit more selectively as well. It just seems like a better way to be involved in this industry. I have always been torn between the two, but always leaned on the side of illustration.

I don't know if I have what it takes to do concept art really, but I have never given a serious effort to put a portfolio together. So hopefully in the coming weeks I will be able to show this forum, and myself honestly that I can do it in addition to finishing fantastic traditional science fiction illustrations.

I appreciate everyone's support in trying to keep me on track. Each day knowing I wasn't posting an update made me feel real dread. So this thread is having a big affect on me even if I have missed some days.

• JohnGamesJohnGames Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    How about instead of making yourself feel dread and all that bad stuff, post an update today!

Edit: Too late.

JohnGames on
    I see a lot of words on this page and not much painting.
    It's okay to fail providing you learn something from it, nobody is going to gang rape you over it.

Mustang wrote:
    I see a lot of words on this page and not much painting.
    It's okay to fail providing you learn something from it, nobody is going to gang rape you over it.

I PROMISE NOTHING

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    Amazing worrrrk! Please update.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This painting is like a goddamned tightrope walk. You're doing good work, Cake.

no updates in ten days boooooooo

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    booooo
    urrrnnss

• The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Well this thread is really living up to its name ;)
    (although the work you have done looks really good and i'm super curious to see how it's gonna match up with your goals/ ambitions)

This is killing me. It's like watching loads of trailers for a film you want to see. And then the film never comes out.

MvViV.jpg
    Honestly cake, you're worse than Hitler.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Come and get your angry mob gear here people, right here! PITCHFORKS, LONGFORKS, SHORTFORKS, ANYFORK, TORCHES, SCYTHES, HUGE WOODEN CROSSES, HUGE WOODEN CLUBS, HUGE WOODEN HORSES, ANYTHING HUGE AND WOODEN.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Y U r NAME CHANGES?