As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] POST IN NEW THREAD!!

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote:
    Condolences to Team Prison Yard on falling to Narwhal.

It's ok though.

Starting this Friday, your fears will pale in comparison when you go up against the next team, and you will see these current times as joyful and peaceful while longing for their return.

I will crush you neath my mighty treads you insignificant worm

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Reminder:

I need lineups for this upcoming week by tomorrow at noon, EST!

@meeks @variable @mmmig @kedinik

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    An open letter to Team Cloudkiller from the Professional Photon Cyclists.

*Ahem*
    Come at us, bros.

• Options
    Kb9kahneKb9kahne Registered User regular
    Mig, Come play me for the team league, I'll ezpz you. Pick a map.

11917-1.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Invictus wrote:
    Reminder:

I need lineups for this upcoming week by tomorrow at noon, EST!

@meeks @variable @mmmig @kedinik

Ah, sorry. Didn't sink in that we finalize next week's brackets before this week's matches are necessarily over.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Yup, turns out it's nonstop action here in the CSTL.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Fellow caster brainling, I challenge you! Think you got what it takes to put a stop to me?

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Too lazy to change it.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    Fellow caster brainling, I challenge you! Think you got what it takes to put a stop to me?

i'll put my e-peen on brainlings line, and try to turn it into an event.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    MMMig wrote: »

It's ok though.

Starting this Friday, your fears will pale in comparison when you go up against the next team, and you will see these current times as joyful and peaceful while longing for their return.

Salvation still has a chance to force an ace match; it's currently 4-3, with PantsB vs Salvation yet to play.

@PantsB @Salvation

EDIT: Same situation, in fact, with Joe K vs hlprmnky. If Joe wins that match, that one will go to the ace match as well.

EDITx2: to clarify, in Professional Photon Cyclists vs Vari's team (Team Prison Yard?), the Photon Cyclists lead 4-3, with PantsB trying to win it for them outright and Salvation, fighting for team Aussie, trying to force an ace match, a possible rematch of Tanner vs Dhal.

In Proxy TossGirl vs the JustCheese League, Proxy TossGirl leads 4-3, with hlprmnky trying to win it outright and Joe K defending the JustCheese League in order to force a decisive ace match, possibly featuring the JustCheese League's Hummingbird.

DRAMA EVERYWHERE!!

Invictus on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »

It's ok though.

Salvation still has a chance to force an ace match; it's currently 4-3, with PantsB vs Salvation yet to play.

@PantsB @Salvation

and there's a rubber match between callow and me. this week isnt done.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    btw guys why do y'all still have the black and white icons we made so long ago? >_>
    We should do something new.

Someone feels like drawing again.

• Options
    btw guys why do y'all still have the black and white icons we made so long ago? >_>
    We should do something new.

Someone feels like drawing again.

If someone wants to draw me another avatar, I will use it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I was the original black and white, I can't change.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i wouldnt be averse to using a different one if someone wants to draw me something grandmaster or super-grandmaster themed.

• Options
    TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    I don't have too much to contribute but I hate motorcycles.
    Source: my father owns a motorcycle shop. Maybe I need a therapist.

My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • Options
    Trunkers wrote:
    I don't have too much to contribute but I hate motorcycles.
    Source: my father owns a motorcycle shop. Maybe I need a therapist.

excellent you can get me a free motorcycle.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Variable Can you try to get in touch with @Salvation, see when he can play or get him to message Pants?

Seems a bit unresponsive lately and we haven't seen him on battle.net.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    http://drop.sc/117139 <--- some standard terran bullshit.

http://drop.sc/117140 <--- cannon rush

http://drop.sc/117141 <--- 6 pool

please tell me how I'm supposed to defend cheese if not how I did in these games. Because I do the standard responses that always get parroted by everyone, and they just don't work.

reposting this, because I really would like some feedback.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Without even looking at the replays, I can pretty much tell the cheese part wasn't what killed you. What cannon rush lasts 27mins? What 6 pool lasts 8mins?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    @Variable Can you try to get in touch with @Salvation, see when he can play or get him to message Pants?

Seems a bit unresponsive lately and we haven't seen him on battle.net.

yeah I'm not sure what's up, hoping he responds to the PM.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    jaziek wrote: »

please tell me how I'm supposed to defend cheese if not how I did in these games. Because I do the standard responses that always get parroted by everyone, and they just don't work.

I took a look at the cannon rush and the 6 pool replays. Cannon rush first:

First, big picture: I stopped watching at 11 minutes, because you were ahead in every way besides his having a faster +1 attack. You didn't die to the cheese. I'm not sure what you died to, because I don't have time to look at the rest of the replay. But you exited the pure cheese portion of the game well. In fact, I think your expo timing was really excellent, and one of the reasons you leave the early game in such good shape, even though I do think this is a pretty well executed cannon rush. Given the work and thought he's put into it, you shouldn't expect beating it to be trivial.

Second, things you need to do better when you realize it's a cannon rush. You realize it very early, b/c you scout the forge first. But you don't follow his probe around, and as a result you don't see all the cannons going up. When you realize it's a cannon rush, you absolutely have to know what his probe is doing at all times.

Third, you respond well by throwing up a forge of your own and cannons of your own. This is, I think, the right response. But you're very quickly floating a lot of minerals that could've been an earlier cycore. This game should be over when you get out warpgate much earlier than him; you don't focus on getting warpgate out. You ought to be chronoing warpgate as much as you can; I think you chrono it once. Three or four is what you should be aiming for; five is optimal (but hard). The second thing those minerals could've been is another cannon or two, placed so you don't lose your first gate.

Last, when you've got cannons of your own going up that will defend your probe line, send your zealot(s) across the map to his base. You should not expect him to have defense, and zealots are not great against cannons anyway. You really are depending on cannons of your own in that way, and your zealot can kill a bunch of probes. Have it do that.

My comments on the 6pool game are much shorter. Roughly, you need to realize whether he's reinforcing with lings or droning away. He has 7 lings killing your forge; that means he made more than the original 6, and if that's right, he's waaaaay behind you in econ, particularly given how well you're doing chronoing probes. So spend the minerals to put up another cannon before the forge goes down, and then you'll have much more space to make buildings in, and the rest of the game will go a lot easier. The other point is that you're floating minerals again, pretty quickly. Build shit. Cannons, gateways, whatever. Just spend those fucking minerals, and drown him in stuff. I'm pretty sure you already know this; the problem you have is in misplacing buildings so that they are outside your cannon range, and in being too focused on cutting corners for economy. If you're spending most of your chrono on probes, and you can see he hasn't maximally droned up after the original 6 pool, just make sure that you have cannons up and that your gates and warpgate research are safe.

EDIT: I think the best thing to do once you see he's made more zlings is actually to put up two more cannons if you have time, which I think you do. it'll delay warpgate, which is bad, but it will also pretty much guarantee your safety for a long period of time, and in this context he's almost certainly not droning up hard behind the 6pool to transition into a macro game.

I hope this helps.

Invictus on
  • Options
    Gonna look at the tvp replay.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Can we have @Panda4You in our team we could use more Australians. Also @Seguer.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok. First things first. Stop doing a 2gate/robo. It's a relic of a build designed to hold the old 3rax stim timing pushes that were very prevalent like, six years ago. You need to do one of these openings, 1gate FE, 15 Nexus, 1gate/robo FE (for the scouting) or a 3gate FE if you are worried about things. For more information on protoss builds talk to a protoss on the board or something, all I know is what people do against me, not the actual builds themselves.

Scout earlier. You could have gotten into his base and saw his 2rax if you scouted at 9.

Make zealots. This is one of the most easily fixable things in lower level protoss replays I see. Zealots Zealots Zealots. Seriously, they are so good. They take so much damage, deal a metric fuck-ton unless the terran kites. Which is sort of hard, when you just FF'd his army from running. And while the terran is kiting your zealots, your stalkers are getting free shots on his army.

When you see a terran doing such a one base build, cut probes. Get about 40 probes, then just stop making them until you weather his attack.

His attack. You saw it coming, you saw him doom drop, yet you still let it land, even though you were zoning it out with your stalkers, you just backed up. That micro mistake was not tiny, it was monumental. But you weren't going to win that fight anyway, you had 1100 minerals when that drop happened. Make some units while you are moving your army around. He also had 1500 more resources invested into his army by the time the attack happened than you did. You had a straight-up build order loss/were outmacroed.

Lastly, stop being such a bad mannered fuck. Seriously, it makes everyone hate you. How can you even post that replay and not be ashamed of that?

Edit: I would have preferred to see you chrono out immortals instead of going for the fast collosus tech. It takes too long to get out and isn't effective with just the one collosus. You could have had three immortals out which are surprisingly effective against bio. And again, zealots. Make them.

Keamien on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

Watched the 6Pool game. Thoughts from a T:

3:05 You defended near perfect at the start and only lost 1 Probe to the initial Zerglings, well done.
    4:40 You see that he is still rallying Zerglings to your base. That means he is completely all-in, and your primary concern should be not dying.
    5:00 Where you placed your Core was outside of Cannon range, which let him harass it. You could have placed your Core right next to your Gate (where you eventually made a Forge) and it would have been safe. He forces you to cancel your third Pylon because it is out of cannon range. He could have killed your fourth Pylon too, but he didn't realize it was out of range as well.
    5:55 Your Core finishes and you start Chronoboosting Warp Gate but don't make a Stalker. You need a ranged unit because Zealots are too slow to catch Zerglings. You are also floating 800 minerals. You probably want to start another Gate, which you could fit behind your mineral line.
    6:30 Your Core dies because you are unable to defend it without either Cannons or a Stalker.
    6:50 You start raging in chat, this is never constructive and can only hurt your in-game decision making. You are also now floating over 1000 minerals.
    8:00 He is now morphing 5 Banelings in your base and has 25 Zerglings to your 29 Probes, 2 Zealots, and 1 finished Cannon. You are floating 1400/250, which if converted into Gateways, units, and Pylons would have given you 5 Stalkers and 4 more Zealots. With the 2 Zealots you lost to Zergling surrounds added to that it would have been 8 Zealots and 5 Stalkers v 25 Zerglings and 5 Banelings, a fight you would have won easily.
    8:23 He busts your first Cannon and you gg out, but your second Cannon is almost done! Hold positioning your Probes would have let the Cannon finish. It would have been a tight hold but you were 27 Probes to 10 Drones at this point, you would have had enough left over to keep going.

-Put more thought into your sim-city when you all you have to defend is static defenses.
    -Get a Stalker asap.
    -Don't panic, keep spending your money.
    -Don't gg out early.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    hey here's something I've always been wondering.

why do the fonts for numbers look so different on chinese sc2 clients compared to all the other sc2 clients?

• Options
    PoolCue wrote: »

why do the fonts for numbers look so different on chinese sc2 clients compared to all the other sc2 clients?

Because you touch yourself at night.

• Options
    Invictus wrote: »
    PoolCue wrote: »

Because you touch yourself at night.

MYSTERY SOLVED PEOPLE!

• Options
    I'd assume that the font for the other sc2 clients is only available for European languages. It's kind of pointless to go through the font used for the Asian languages and change just the numbers to a different font.

• Options
    but I mean even the korean client has the same fonts.

the chinese client seems to be the only one that's different

• Options
    When you get 6pooled, and you are going for a FFE, its a free win.

Make forge, put cannon(or two!) in mineral line.

Use scouting probe to make 3(Count em) proxy gateways.

Send 6 zealots into zerg's main.

Collect win.

Courtesy of White-ra.

• Options
    so is either apm actual apm now? they seem off.

• Options
    1.4.3 wrote:
    APM values displayed on the Leader Board are now calculated by counting every click and command that has been issued by the player.
    EPM values displayed on the Leader Board are calculated by counting only actual commands issued by the player (Effective Actions Per Minute).

Whether Blizzard is lying is another story though.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    They are both still in Blizzard minutes, but the metrics are switched accidentally right now.

• Options
    redraptor wrote: »
    They are both still in Blizzard minutes, but the metrics are switched accidentally right now.

that explains it, thanks

• Options
    you would think they would polish the patch a bit more before releasing it to avoid bugs like this

and the fact that they didn't include the phoenix upgrade on the fleet beacon

it'd also solve that problem of having the patch before a major tournament weekend

• Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    so, i am beginning a project

Project CHEESE which was inspired from some healthy discussion with Keamien about learning the game via pressure builds.

As of right now, I hold a 28% win rate in ZvZ, a 51% winrate in ZvP and a 68% winrate in ZvT

I probably won't change how I play ZvT, since what I am doing seems to be working (ice fisherish opener, roach/infestor into BROOOOOODLOOOOORDS)

The other two matchups, though, I am going to learn an all-in or two and JUST play those and see how this affects my overall win rate. I am silver playing against high golds and beating them at the moment, but my winrate isn't quite where it needs to be to get promoted.

So this should be interesting.

Any advice, guys?

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    Don't do that.

Mix in an all-in every 2nd game if you like, but keep practising those macro openings.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    PoolCue wrote:
    you would think they would polish the patch a bit more before releasing it to avoid bugs like this

and the fact that they didn't include the phoenix upgrade on the fleet beacon

it'd also solve that problem of having the patch before a major tournament weekend

So... wait.

They make a patch to fix two gameplay things...

and they fuck up one of them? That's uh

That's something.