As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    That guy covers the code in the unboxing, and then leaves it face up on the table where it is clearly visible. If any of you want an extra Xbox 360 online pass for it, I think it's pretty doable to steal it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh. MS gives out online passes like candy anyway.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I'm just saying, I love the Mass Effect games just as much as anyone...more than the average person really.

But they are pretty much action movies in game form. That's why Shepard and his/her protaganium is unstoppable and why he/she always makes the right call.

Pretty much this. And it's part of why Mass Effect is so damn fun. Why watch Bruce Willis snap shotting a guy between the eyes while falling at mach 1 down an elevator shaft when you can be Bruce Willis snap-shotting a guy between the eyes while falling at mach 1 down an elevator shaft?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I'm just saying, I love the Mass Effect games just as much as anyone...more than the average person really.

But they are pretty much action movies in game form. That's why Shepard and his/her protaganium is unstoppable and why he/she always makes the right call.

Pretty much this. And it's part of why Mass Effect is so damn fun. Why watch Bruce Willis snap shotting a guy between the eyes while falling at mach 1 down an elevator shaft when you can be Bruce Willis snap-shotting a guy between the eyes while falling at mach 1 down an elevator shaft?

Gee, thanks.

Now I'm going to have to live my life knowing that someone could make a Die Hard game that plays like mass effect with renegade interrupts that has you pushing someone out a window and saying "yippie ki-ay mother fucker".

But it will never happen.

My life will never be complete now.

Ass.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    But at what point does this "super advanced army" stop and think "Hmm, we are supremely badass, but every single reaper that has gone up against Shep has been destroyed, along with an entire reaperized colony and a bajillion husks. Tactically, we should give Shep special consideration. That's how we got this supremely badass, after all."

I'm sick of seeing these valid arguments brushed under the rug and I hope Bioware has a good explanation for it.
    Well, they're hitting Earth first, ahead of more advanced and powerful races like the Asari and Turians. If that isn't an opening salvo aimed directly at Shepard, I don't know what is.

Also: the IFF mission might help to illustrate why the Reapers might not be freaking out about Shep: as the derelict shows, every once in a while the people getting Reaped get lucky. Some Reapers are lost. No big deal. All according to plan.

It's all just (un)justified arrogance.
    For Harbinger it's like playing a strategy game against a complete noob. "Oh look, they killed a scout and some workers and now they're celebrating. Cute. Here's my main force." Earth's on fire, everyone is shitting their pants and no one really has any idea how to deal with the reaper armada.

All things considered, mass effect 1 and 2 were pointless. The citadel didn't work because of the protheans, not because shepard did anything. I'm sure some C-sec officer, a spectre or one of those supposed snipers in the council's main chambers could have taken out Saren. The collectors, while an annoyance, do nothing to really add to the reapers that are now frolicking all over earth.
    Shepard is irrelevant, tactically. Of course for story purposes it makes more sense to have a protagonist.

Actually. I believe Shepard still had to use Vigil's little disc thing to disable the Citadel(since it was still functioning for the most part) to disable it. And well, doesn't matter if anyone else could have taken out Saren.

What matters is that Shepard did. Not to mention you seem to have forgotten about all the Geth that were accompanying Saren on the Citadel, he wasn't by himself.

I haven't forgotten about them.
    My point is in a realistic setting anyone could have done it. Shepard is merely a vessel so that gamers can play with raging hardons.
    Which is OK, but when looking at reaper thought processes you either take realism into account or you don't.
    If Shepard is allowed to be a monumental badass then you have to accept that "derp, reapers are stupid".
    You can't have it both ways.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote:

Gee, thanks.

Now I'm going to have to live my life knowing that someone could make a Die Hard game that plays like mass effect with renegade interrupts that has you pushing someone out a window and saying "yippie ki-ay mother fucker".

But it will never happen.

My life will never be complete now.

Ass.

Well, there is "You've got two ways down. Express, or coach." *shove*

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Also kind of surprised none of it is supposed to carry over (I think? That's what people are saying). There are at least a handful of decisions you can make there that should have *some* impact (at the very least, the status of your relationship with Liara).

LOTSB features no moral or plot decisions.
    In regards to Liara, if you romanced her in me1 but didn't do LOTSB then the game will just keep the romance going provided you didn't "cheat" on her with helmet/crazybitch/datass.
    Unless collecting ship models confers some sort of advantage to you.
    But if that were the case then the game might account for your fish tank or whether you punched that pijack or not...*cough*

It features a lot of moral decisions regarding Liara (including a crazy number of paragon interrupts - wonder if they are renegade interrupts if you are renegade). She was essentially ready to move on otherwise (you have been gone 2 years, etc etc). I guess you can fake it and say she wasn't if you didn't play the DLC, but that's kind of weird.

Aside from that, there are a handful of things you can fund in the Shadow Broker's lair that could potentially be worth carrying over. If only via a little e-mail or news clip or whatever.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They all just flavor your relationship with her. There are no renegade interrupts in Shadowbroker.

There's only one moral choice in the entire thing, and as things go, it's extremely minor.
    Shooting the hostage is quite possibly the best thing ever.

*BANG*

"You shot me!"

"You'll live." *BANG BANG BANG*

Orca on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    They all just flavor your relationship with her. There are no renegade interrupts in Shadowbroker.

There's only one moral choice in the entire thing, and as things go, it's extremely minor.
    Shooting the hostage is quite possibly the best thing ever.

*BANG*

"You shot me!"

"You'll live." *BANG BANG BANG*

Yeah, I don't consider that one worth carrying over (though I suppose they could always have her send an e-mail on it... I mean, they were fairly thorough with ME1 minor sidequest characters doing that :P). The Liara stuff seems important though IMO.

But like I said, even the couple things you can fund at the end are probably significant enough to warrent a mention. One involved helping a medical company cut through some red tape to work on a cure for something (I forget what), and another involved a smear campaign for a politician. I could see things like that showing up as random newscasts.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    evilthecat wrote:
    But at what point does this "super advanced army" stop and think "Hmm, we are supremely badass, but every single reaper that has gone up against Shep has been destroyed, along with an entire reaperized colony and a bajillion husks. Tactically, we should give Shep special consideration. That's how we got this supremely badass, after all."

I'm sick of seeing these valid arguments brushed under the rug and I hope Bioware has a good explanation for it.
    Well, they're hitting Earth first, ahead of more advanced and powerful races like the Asari and Turians. If that isn't an opening salvo aimed directly at Shepard, I don't know what is.

Also: the IFF mission might help to illustrate why the Reapers might not be freaking out about Shep: as the derelict shows, every once in a while the people getting Reaped get lucky. Some Reapers are lost. No big deal. All according to plan.

For Harbinger it's like playing a strategy game against a complete noob. "Oh look, they killed a scout and some workers and now they're celebrating. Cute. Here's my main force." Earth's on fire, everyone is shitting their pants and no one really has any idea how to deal with the reaper armada.

All things considered, mass effect 1 and 2 were pointless. The citadel didn't work because of the protheans, not because shepard did anything. I'm sure some C-sec officer, a spectre or one of those supposed snipers in the council's main chambers could have taken out Saren. The collectors, while an annoyance, do nothing to really add to the reapers that are now frolicking all over earth.
    Shepard is irrelevant, tactically. Of course for story purposes it makes more sense to have a protagonist.

Actually. I believe Shepard still had to use Vigil's little disc thing to disable the Citadel(since it was still functioning for the most part) to disable it. And well, doesn't matter if anyone else could have taken out Saren.

What matters is that Shepard did. Not to mention you seem to have forgotten about all the Geth that were accompanying Saren on the Citadel, he wasn't by himself.

My point is in a realistic setting anyone could have done it. Shepard is merely a vessel so that gamers can play with raging hardons.
    Which is OK, but when looking at reaper thought processes you either take realism into account or you don't.
    If Shepard is allowed to be a monumental badass then you have to accept that "derp, reapers are stupid".

Not really? Heroes aren't heroes because only they could have done this thing.

Heroes are heroes because only they did this thing.

I mean otherwise you start taking a trip to a very bad place where some people are born special. Actions matter more than genetics or ability.

Its the reason Americans go fucking apeshit over George Washington despite him being, at best, a mediorce commander and politican. He was the one who stepped up, he gets the hero worship much like Shepard. There were tons of people more qualified than him to be the military leader or first president, but people like heroes so he got to do it and have a mythology built around him even if he was almost never the best choice.

And if you want to go by luck, George Washington escaped more crap through unbelievable bullshit than Shepard ever did. Including having an assassin decide to back down at the last second because they had second thoughts and other insane bullshit luck no one would ever accept if it wasn't true.

Having the Admirals look at Shepard longingly is pretty dumb, but it is absolutely realistic. Tons of things that are realistic are really fucking dumb. Shepard's got a reputation and mythology, partially unearned. That matters more than ability.

Z0re on
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    G Rol wrote:
    Briefly on the DLC-mate:
    Am I alone in loving the Prothean's voice? It is so obviously African, I really don't understand how anyone is getting a Jamaican rasta vibe from it at all. The only problem I ever had with these games, accent wise, is the Quarians' accents being all over the place. I just chalk it up to being a migrant fleet.

Maybe it's just my space-racism showing, as I certainly don't think all the humans should have the same accent.

...apropos of nothing, I hope Jack has a big role in ME3. I guess I'm in the minority in really liking her character.
    Further regarding Bioware's choice in DLC squad-mate voice acting. (I know this was from a page back, but it struck me as poignant):
    I think Bioware put more thought into the choice than some people think.

You find him on Mars, which means he was one of the Protheans checking out (possibly interacting with) early humans. Basically, they gave him an eastern African accent as a reference to where early man existed before blossoming in the fertile crescent and eventually selecting phenotypes and 'technology' (agriculture, farming, clothing/housing) that could deal with cold weather better and spread to colder climates. Pretty much, if you go past 1.8-1.9 million years ago, you're looking at Kenya/Ethiopia generally East Africa (maybe South) for any members of the Homo genus.

I think the problem with it is that it's a very 'anglicized' accent. I really think they could have gone with an Egyptian or any of the 'fertile crescent' country accents, but they probably thought it wouldn't be as recognizable to their general target audience.

I'm reserving my judgement for when I play the game, because alot of things in Mass Effect (everything?) is pretty silly/ridiculous/strange when taken out of context of the game.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Vicktor wrote: »
    G Rol wrote:
    Briefly on the DLC-mate:
    Am I alone in loving the Prothean's voice? It is so obviously African, I really don't understand how anyone is getting a Jamaican rasta vibe from it at all. The only problem I ever had with these games, accent wise, is the Quarians' accents being all over the place. I just chalk it up to being a migrant fleet.

Maybe it's just my space-racism showing, as I certainly don't think all the humans should have the same accent.

...apropos of nothing, I hope Jack has a big role in ME3. I guess I'm in the minority in really liking her character.
    Further regarding Bioware's choice in DLC squad-mate voice acting. (I know this was from a page back, but it struck me as poignant):
    I think Bioware put more thought into the choice than some people think.

You find him on Mars, which means he was one of the Protheans checking out (possibly interacting with) early humans. Basically, they gave him an eastern African accent as a reference to where early man existed before blossoming in the fertile crescent and eventually selecting phenotypes and 'technology' (agriculture, farming, clothing/housing) that could deal with cold weather better and spread to colder climates. Pretty much, if you go past 1.8-1.9 million years ago, you're looking at Kenya/Ethiopia generally East Africa (maybe South) for any members of the Homo genus.

I think the problem with it is that it's a very 'anglicized' accent. I really think they could have gone with an Egyptian or any of the 'fertile crescent' country accents, but they probably thought it wouldn't be as recognizable to their general target audience.

I'm reserving my judgement for when I play the game, because alot of things in Mass Effect (everything?) is pretty silly/ridiculous/strange when taken out of context of the game.

Remember that,
    The Protheans were only around from roughly 60,000-50,000 years ago. So 10-20,000 years after the exodus from Africa. Possibly closer if we assume the Protheans achieved space dominance 70,000 years ago and sort of fucked around for twenty thousands years.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Z0re is right

yes, reapers are stupid. They've had literally billions of years to build up their arrogance and it's mostly justified. too bad they're dealing with A Protagonist.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Z0re is right

yes, reapers are stupid. They've had literally billions of years to build up their arrogance and it's mostly justified. too bad they're dealing with A Protagonist.

A Heroic Protagonist.

They don't stand a chance.

• Options
    Z0re wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote:

Not really? Heroes aren't heroes because only they could have done this thing.

Heroes are heroes because only they did this thing.

I mean otherwise you start taking a trip to a very bad place where some people are born special. Actions matter more than genetics or ability.

Its the reason Americans go fucking apeshit over George Washington despite him being, at best, a mediorce commander and politican. He was the one who stepped up, he gets the hero worship much like Shepard. There were tons of people more qualified than him to be the military leader or first president, but people like heroes so he got to do it and have a mythology built around him even if he was almost never the best choice.

And if you want to go by luck, George Washington escaped more crap through unbelievable bullshit than Shepard ever did. Including having an assassin decide to back down at the last second because they had second thoughts and other insane bullshit luck no one would ever accept if it wasn't true.

Having the Admirals look at Shepard longingly is pretty dumb, but it is absolutely realistic. Tons of things that are realistic are really fucking dumb. Shepard's got a reputation and mythology, partially unearned. That matters more than ability.

Oh god. Someone's quoting Die Hard 4.

Loads of people stepped up to the the antagonists in the ME games.
    The only thing that seperates them from Shep is the fact that Shep HAS special abilities.
    Do we really need to run down the long list of things Superman, err, Shepard can do that no one else can?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    All this talk of Shepard's personality really wants me to do a Commissar Ciaphas Shepard run. A totally conniving, self serving bastard of a coward with a reputation built entirely around him being in the right place at the right time.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Apparently, there's an ME3 boycott brewing.

Excuse me while I facepalm.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Razia wrote: »

your sig is appropriate

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

wha....?

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    it's over the Day 1 DLC

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    pft hahaha video game nerds are still doing those boycott things
    how cute

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Too far? Not nearly far enough!

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote:

wha....?

people have been threatening to boycott me3 for ages now, over multiplayer, over origin, over red haired femshep

most of them will still buy it

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    How strange.

In the first 90 seconds, he suggests that the textures don't look as good as they could because of "download size limits on the Xbox Live Arcade store".

I didn't realize ME3 was going to be available on XBLA. I wouldn't have reserved a physical copy weeks ago if I'd known.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It sounds like he's just complaining about the day 1 DLC, which we all know is ridiculous.

• Options
    he's right though, lots of stuff in the demo had to be compressed or cut to make the 2 gig size limit

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Anyone who uses the demo as a completely accurate representation of what the shipped game looks like is an idiot and should be ignored.

It gives the flavor, not the substance.

Orca on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    he's right though, lots of stuff in the demo had to be compressed or cut to make the 2 gig size limit

yeah and at 1.8 gigs or so the demo really was pushing it

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    That's fair

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Maybe one of the preorders of ME3 CE at my local GameStop will boycott and cancel, leaving that CE for little ol' me.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    It sounds like he's just complaining about the day 1 DLC, which we all know is ridiculous.

It's pretty much this. I stopped after about 4 minutes because I am guessing the next 20 minutes is bitching about the same thing.

I used to like some of dudes WTF videos but man has gotten too big of a head and it seems like he just thinks he's so damn important now. Between his complete inability to even try to play Kingdoms of Amalur and this 30m soapbox on an issue that you can explain in 2 minutes...good lord. Dude, get over yourself.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    I don't think people like him realize just how expensive it is to make games like this
    There were at least 2 teams working on this game for 2 years and I can't count the number of celebrates doing voice work on both hands
    Since this DLC person can be DLC that means he's optional and will only be there for world building

but nope my entitlement :cry:

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

We're not allowed to be upset about day 1 DLC? It's not going to affect my purchase, but you'd be an idiot to not think it's a bad route to go down'

Let me ask you a question: Who has the superior product, someone who pays $60 for ME3 or someone who pirates it for free (for the single player)

This is going backwards in terms of creating a money making product. Piracy is so easy on all 3 consoles and PC that doing shit like this definitely costs you sales, and not the people who are posting about boycotting it on facebook, but the legions who don't say anything but just chose to torrent it when they read about cut content for seperate sale

override367 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Whenever I hear about someone doing a boycott of a game that image of the PC boycott for MW2 always comes to mind.

Yeah. I mean really I don't like Day 1 DLC...but I always end up getting it for "free" anyway. I mean I understand the complaining but I don't need a 30 minute rant about it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    the $60 product because it includes MP and MP rules

also because piracy is lame

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

We're not allowed to be upset about day 1 DLC? It's not going to affect my purchase, but you'd be an idiot to not think it's a bad route to go down'

Let me ask you a question: Who has the superior product, someone who pays $60 for ME3 or someone who pirates it for free (for the single player)

This is going backwards in terms of creating a money making product. Piracy is so easy on all 3 consoles and PC that doing shit like this definitely costs you sales, and not the people who are posting about boycotting it on facebook, but the legions who don't say anything but just chose to torrent it when they read about cut content for seperate sale

Are you operating under the assumption that pirating douchebags have some kind of moral high ground for stealing in this situation?

People will pirate for any reason, because it's easy, because they don't care, because they're broke. Adding in people who think they're some kind of god damned knight fighting the good fight is hardly actively encouraging more piracy.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Yes, let's all boycott the GotY...

...morons.

• Options

It is a Collectors Edition bonus. They're just making it available to everyone. To me that's better than locking it off forever to only CE buyers (even though I am one). Granted, maybe they shouldn't have made it day 1; but either way there is no foul here.

The usual argument against day one DLC is "the game is incomplete that you're buying" and that is TotalBiscuits argument too. But that's just silly. If the game, as it stands, without that DLC cannot be completed in its entirety without the DLC I will eat a cock. But I don't have to worry about that because it will be. The game will be complete.

All DLC is extra content. For people to say "the game is incomplete" for day one DLC it has to be true for further DLC which is just asinine. "ZOMG Vanilla WoW wasn't a complete game because they made TBC!"

That DLC that will be released a month or two after launch? The one few bitch about? Yeah, that has been in development alongside the base game too. It's the same thing.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Protip: People boycott everything and there are morons on the internet. Can we stop paying attention to them yet? Please?

Some things are legitimate boycotts. The vast majority are stupid dumb stupids.