As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Day 1 stuff is sold on Day 1 because it's not ready when the game goes gold. you can do a lot in those weeks between finishing the game and the release date.
    This. Also, it's an incentive to buy the game New, and as it's been discussed before: Devs and Publishers don't make money off of Used games.
    That would be true if the Day 1 DLC came with any new copy. It only comes in the CE / DDE. The Cerberus News Network thing from ME2 was an anti-used sales device, like I imagine MP to be in ME3.

So what, we miss out on a "Normandy Crash Site" type of deal? Whatever. DLC isn't the most important factor in the world, and people will still buy the DLC if they don't get it with the CE/DDE copy anyway. Bottom line: WHO FUCKING CARES?

... Apart from a bunch of incompetents from youtube who are trying to "bring down the corrupt system!"

Funny, I used to be like that once, but then I grew the fuck up.

No we're missing out on a fully voiced character with a quest to get him whos very existence raises a whole fuckload of plot questions.

I mean when describing what your dlc includes spoils a major fucking plot point, and it's on day 1? Maybe rethink it

override367 on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I forgot that objection to DLC raises the more interesting its premise is

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This is slightly more important than a Normandy crash site. And while it won't stop me from buying the game, I'm hoping this is a trend that won't continue. And yeah, I know how naive that sounds.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Day 1 stuff is sold on Day 1 because it's not ready when the game goes gold. you can do a lot in those weeks between finishing the game and the release date.
    This. Also, it's an incentive to buy the game New, and as it's been discussed before: Devs and Publishers don't make money off of Used games.
    That would be true if the Day 1 DLC came with any new copy. It only comes in the CE / DDE. The Cerberus News Network thing from ME2 was an anti-used sales device, like I imagine MP to be in ME3.

So what, we miss out on a "Normandy Crash Site" type of deal? Whatever. DLC isn't the most important factor in the world, and people will still buy the DLC if they don't get it with the CE/DDE copy anyway. Bottom line: WHO FUCKING CARES?

... Apart from a bunch of incompetents from youtube who are trying to "bring down the corrupt system!"

No we're missing out on a fully voiced character with a quest to get him whos very existence raises a whole fuckload of plot questions.

I mean when describing what your dlc includes spoils a major fucking plot point, and it's on day 1? Maybe rethink it

It's less a spoiler and more just marketing. If it sounds interesting to somebody, they'll buy it. If the character were just some dude, a person would be less likely to buy it.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Well...

Actually, yeah. That's exactly how that works, isn't it?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There are two reasons I see to feel (slightly) concerned by the day 1 DLC. Not sure if concerned is the right word, but whatever.
    The first is the obvious "Wouldn't a Prothean being alive be a really big deal plot-wise?" Of course, we don't know how the actual game handles this. Maybe we find a group of them in games without the DLC, so the plot isn't affected at all, you just don't get one tagging along for the ride.

The second is that in ME2, not having the DLC squadmates didn't really feel like you were missing much. You still had 10 other henchmen to play around with. In ME3, you've got - what, six? That's a squad nearly half the size of ME2's, so adding another feels comparatively significant.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote: »
    Remember that,
    The Protheans were only around from roughly 60,000-50,000 years ago. So 10-20,000 years after the exodus from Africa. Possibly closer if we assume the Protheans achieved space dominance 70,000 years ago and sort of fucked around for twenty thousands years.
    Speaking of 60,000-50,000 years ago, it really threw me for a loop in ME2 when
    in the planet scanning minigame you get backgrounds on planets, and there's like half dozen planets in the game where the summary calmly tells you about so-and-so race that lived 300,000 years ago and about the obvious evidence of large scale planetary bombardment that led to extinction. Excuse me. Where is this stuff coming from? No one knows jack about the Protheans, so much so that they are literally named 'The first ones', and now we know stuff about guys that came 5 times earlier than the Protheans?

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Why? People are more than willing to pay for it. If people stopped paying for it, companies would stop providing it.

In this case I feel the boycotters are misaimed. They should be telling people to buy the game and deliberately not buy the DLC if they want to be taken seriously and affect change. Otherwise they aren't even customers so who gives a damn what they think?

A lot of people don't pay for it. You realize how pervasive piracy is right?

So what? Accounting for them is stupid and there is no fucking evidence they'd buy it if Bioware changed a damn thing. Better to just ignore them because if they pirate they're not paying you any ways and their opinion means less than any random schmuck off the street. If you change things to suit them there is no guarantee they'd actually buy it. They'll probably still pirate it anyways so screw them.

Z0re on
  • Options

Well...

Actually, yeah. That's exactly how that works, isn't it?

If it's just some random asshole I can ignore it!

If it's somebody interesting grr Bioware why are you making me want to spend more money

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm not condoning boycotting it. I just hate the idea of a major part of the game being locked out if you didn't get the incredibly limited Collector's Edition, or pay $10 in addition to the $60 you already paid.

Like someone else said, if it was free with new copies of the game, that'd be okay. This isn't.

Well, it's optional. By definition, it's not a "major part of the game". You can finish the game without it. If BioWare had never produced it, you'd still have bought ME3 for $60 and considered that a fair price (or at least a price consistent with the video game market--perhaps you believe that all games are overpriced, but that's a separate argument). So you're really saying you want this extra content for no extra cost.

I like getting more stuff for the same price, too, but I don't really get why it's an outrage (or even surprising) when content producers charge me extra for more stuff.

htm on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Did this guy kill your dog or something?

I mean, it's cool to think the guy's an idiot. But this looks more like hatred.

Remember Kingdoms of Amalur? He tore into that game, too. And what pisses me off is that thousands of people listen to this guy and just decide to agree with what he says instead of coming to their own conclusions or using their own rational thought.

Huh. Oh well. It adds more plot, but really, I can shell out a few bucks for it if it really matters. Or just wait until later on when I get more money, THEN pay for it. Otherwise, I don't really care. I don't agree with all of EA's (or sometimes, Bioware's) methods, but boycotting the game? Threatening to pirate it?

All because the "evil syndicate" is wanting more of your money? All because jack-asses like Biscuit preach about how Day 1 DLC means they are trying to sell an 'incomplete game' and take 'more of your money'? That's not what Day 1 DLC is. I mean, the game was most likely in it's completion stages when they started working on the DLC. I'm actually happy we can get it now, rather than wait 4 months and pay for it THEN.

But no, people make a big fucking deal about it, and it gets out of hand. Next thing you know, Bioware might decide to play more hard-ball, because certain parties had to act like total douche-bags.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    And if you want to go by luck, George Washington escaped more crap through unbelievable bullshit than Shepard ever did. Including having an assassin decide to back down at the last second because they had second thoughts and other insane bullshit luck no one would ever accept if it wasn't true.

Having the Admirals look at Shepard longingly is pretty dumb, but it is absolutely realistic. Tons of things that are realistic are really fucking dumb. Shepard's got a reputation and mythology, partially unearned. That matters more than ability.

My favorite historical trivia is that George Washington accidentally started the French and Indian War while a lieutenant. He massacred a French diplomatic party, and things went from there. And, of course, the taxes to pay for the French and Indian War were what started the Revolution.

If you put that in a novel, the editor would send it back for revision because it was too contrived.

• Options
    I rather liked the stories about how it just fucking impossible to shoot ol' George. He was immune to bullets.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Protip: People boycott everything and there are morons on the internet. Can we stop paying attention to them yet? Please?

Some things are legitimate boycotts. The vast majority are stupid dumb stupids.

I wish it were on Steam so I could see this;

bta093lkjdf.jpg

And on the following page, to be fair, it's not "free with the CE". I paid $30 extra for the CE, and yes, I feel that all of the items (digital and real) are worth that extra, but the cost of that DLC is factored in there. I didn't work out an exact amount, but it was basically "Okay, $60 for game, $10 for DLC, $20 to cover soundtrack/artbook/patch/tin/etc... yeah, I'll do that."

Now, I can understand the perspective of someone buying the base game and seeing a potential $10 added on top if they want the extra content, but that's a choice they can make. It means they can buy it day 1, or wait a paycheque, or a month, or a year. Am I a fan of this route? Not particularly, but I don't see it as outrage worthy. Like all DLC, day 1 or otherwise, you either choose to buy it or you do without. I chose to get the mission DLC for ME2 at not-inconsiderable cost, and while they weren't all mind blowing, they were enjoyable and Lair of the Shadow Broker was everything I wanted it to be and more.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Did this guy kill your dog or something?

I mean, it's cool to think the guy's an idiot. But this looks more like hatred.

Remember Kingdoms of Amalur? He tore into that game, too. And what pisses me off is that thousands of people listen to this guy and just decide to agree with what he says instead of coming to their own conclusions or using their own rational thought.

Huh. Oh well. It adds more plot, but really, I can shell out a few bucks for it if it really matters. Or just wait until later on when I get more money, THEN pay for it. Otherwise, I don't really care. I don't agree with all of EA's (or sometimes, Bioware's) methods, but boycotting the game? Threatening to pirate it?

All because the "evil syndicate" is wanting more of your money? All because jack-asses like Biscuit preach about how Day 1 DLC means they are trying to sell an 'incomplete game' and take 'more of your money'? That's not what Day 1 DLC is. I mean, the game was most likely in it's completion stages when they started working on the DLC. I'm actually happy we can get it now, rather than wait 4 months and pay for it THEN.

But no, people make a big fucking deal about it, and it gets out of hand. Next thing you know, Bioware might decide to play more hard-ball, because certain parties had to act like total douche-bags.

Really just catching up to this gamer entitlement/internet outrage drama but... if you have the CE then I'd imagine that this Day 1 DLC character is incorporated into the cost of that product, whereas if you bought the vanilla edition you didnt, yes?

Who is that guy, btw? Cuz... you do seem to have a lot of energy here.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I'm getting the DLC for 10 dollars instead of paying 20 dollar for it and bunch of bullshit i don't need

really the people who aren't buying the CE are the winners

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    And if you want to go by luck, George Washington escaped more crap through unbelievable bullshit than Shepard ever did. Including having an assassin decide to back down at the last second because they had second thoughts and other insane bullshit luck no one would ever accept if it wasn't true.

Having the Admirals look at Shepard longingly is pretty dumb, but it is absolutely realistic. Tons of things that are realistic are really fucking dumb. Shepard's got a reputation and mythology, partially unearned. That matters more than ability.

My favorite historical trivia is that George Washington accidentally started the French and Indian War while a lieutenant. He massacred a French diplomatic party, and things went from there. And, of course, the taxes to pay for the French and Indian War were what started the Revolution.

If you put that in a novel, the editor would send it back for revision because it was too contrived.

Basically! There's a ton more too.

People have gotten spoiled by suspension of disbelief and have constructed some rather insane notions of what 'realistic' is. Truth of the matter is that ridiculous stuff happens all the damn time and our books and movies that people decry as 'unrealistic' are usually far more conservative than the truth of what actually happens.

People don't want realism, even if they claim they do. They want stuff to follow contrived narrative convention that requires justification for everything, even when nothing in reality actually works out that way. People are just really lucky a lot.

Z0re on
  • Options
    I wish they cut out Garrus and sold him as $10 DLC and dropped the game to $50 so I wouldn't have to deal with his stupid shit

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'm getting the DLC for 10 dollars instead of paying 20 dollar for it and bunch of bullshit i don't need

You're just jealous of the patch. :bz

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    lol yes, jealous of a patch i will never use

how did you know! :p

I was legit pissed when I couldn't get the CE due to sell outs but as soon as I found out it was day 1 dlc for cheaper I actually got happier

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I wish they cut out Garrus and sold him as $10 DLC and dropped the game to $50 so I wouldn't have to deal with his stupid shit

But... who would help with the calibrations?

EDIT: Or better yet, if you don't like him, kill him off in ME2.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options

You could look at it that way. Or you could chill out in a hoody with a robot dog. Just sayin'.

I heard a minor spoiler that involves the dog in a scene onboard the Normandy...
    You lose the training fight with Vega... *unless* you have the robodog. :D

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I buy the CEs for the artbooks even though they're small print. Getting the soundtracks is also a great perk too. Different strokes, I guess.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As someone who is getting the ce I was more annoyed for people buying regular.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

You could look at it that way. Or you could chill out in a hoody with a robot dog. Just sayin'.

I heard a minor spoiler that involves the dog in a scene onboard the Normandy...
    You lose the training fight with Vega... *unless* you have the robodog. :D

That was what tipped the scales for me. Seriously.

• Options
    Frankly I am just annoyed Garrus was not retconned out of existence to make room for more MP characters

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Basically! There's a ton more too.

People have gotten spoiled by suspension of disbelief and have constructed some rather insane notions of what 'realistic' is. Truth of the matter is that ridiculous stuff happens all the damn time and our books and movies that people decry as 'unrealistic' are usually far more conservative than the truth of what actually happens.

People don't want realism, even if they claim they do. They want stuff to follow contrived narrative convention that requires justification for everything, even when nothing in reality actually works out that way. People are just really lucky a lot.

As Mark Twain wrote, "Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth is not."

I do think, though, that Washington deserves a tremendous amount of credit for twice preventing the U.S. from becoming a military dictatorship once when he resigned from his commission as commander and chief and ceding authority back the the legislature. And also for talking his former officers out of mutiny when it became clear that the Continental Congress couldn't give them the back pay they were owed.

Nine on
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I'm sure this has been asked, but I'm trying to avoid any spoilers for ME3. Does the progress made in the Demo for multiplayer carry over to the main game after release? Finally got a good group going last night and it all clicked. Absolutely loving the progressive elements.

Also, I so hope people cancel their orders for this DLC nonsense, specifically someone ordering the CE through amazon. I wants me a robot dog.

• Options
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked, but I'm trying to avoid any spoilers for ME3. Does the progress made in the Demo for multiplayer carry over to the main game after release?

short answer: no

long answer:
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nine wrote: »

As Mark Twain wrote, "Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth is not."

I do think, though, that Washington deserves a tremendous amount of credit for twice preventing the U.S. from becoming a military dictatorship the first time when he resigned from his commission as commander and chief and ceding authority back the the legislature. And also for talking his former officers out of mutiny when it became clear that the Continental Congress couldn't give them the back pay they were owed.

I can agree with that, and I'm not going to knock Washington as a total idiot or incompetent, but he was never the best guy for the roles he ended up playing. There were superior military men and politicians surrounding him for most of his life. He gets the heroism and acclaim partially because he got very, very lucky. Much like Shepard, he had opportunities the more able people did not have, or turned down. Which is how heroes arise.

Z0re on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i will pay any amount of money for mass effect DLC.

so this whole day 1 thing is total BS because I MUST HAVE IT REGARDLESS

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So it turns out a shotgunfiltrator is fucking amazing.

Cloak -> Cryo -> Boom = Kill

Alternately:

Cloak -> Cryo -> Sticky Grenade = Bloody Chunks

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    holy crap i totally did not notice this when i played on the 360 but in me2 when you go to get the iff
    when an unidentified sniper takes out two husks, the room you walk into before the husks and scions pop up, you can see legion casually walking off on the top rail above the dragons teeth, all g-man style.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    okay, how do you kill Phantoms on gold? I'm a level 20 infiltrator and when I see a Phantom than means I'll either be dead in the next 5 seconds (is it just me, or do they seem to have a really powerful ranged attack?) or the cd for stealth is up, if I'm lucky.

I'm also annoyed that towards the end, waves on gold usually look like this: Phantom/Atlas/Atlas/Phantom/Atlas/Phantom

and why do some people already have Krogans/Quarians unlocked?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Interview with Casey Hudson and Mac Walters on the end of the Mass Effect trilogy.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/buttonmashers/general/reflecting-on-the-end-of-mass-effect/#.T0U3yxYPpi4.twitter

Six endings... that is a lot more than I was expecting.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Phantoms are just plain tricky for infiltrators as energy drain doesn't stun them. Call them out to your teammates and focus on the Altases. Or get a shotgun with a wide spread.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    okay, how do you kill Phantoms on gold? I'm a level 20 infiltrator and when I see a Phantom than means I'll either be dead in the next 5 seconds (is it just me, or do they seem to have a really powerful ranged attack?) or the cd for stealth is up, if I'm lucky.

I'm also annoyed that towards the end, waves on gold usually look like this: Phantom/Atlas/Atlas/Phantom/Atlas/Phantom

Some people got lucky.

I hate them.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

I got a Quarian from the more expensive packs. Buddy of mine got a Krogan and Turian the same way.

• Options

You can randomly unlock one alien per class through the recruit/vetran packs in the store.

Quarian Engineer, Drell Vanguard, Krogan Soldier, Turian Sentinel, Asari Adept and Salarian Infiltrator are the only ones available in the demo.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    For gold phantoms, you basically need an asari adept in the group to CC them, or something similar.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258