As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Interview with Casey Hudson and Mac Walters on the end of the Mass Effect trilogy.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/buttonmashers/general/reflecting-on-the-end-of-mass-effect/#.T0U3yxYPpi4.twitter

Six endings... that is a lot more than I was expecting.

Well, when it comes to developers talking about endings, I tend to cut that number in half ever since Fallout 3. Still, even if we got three actually different endings, that's still much greater than ME1 or ME2.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Phantoms are just plain tricky for infiltrators as energy drain doesn't stun them. Call them out to your teammates and focus on the Altases. Or get a shotgun with a wide spread.

I'm sniper/shotgun, but the shotgun doesn't do shit against their barrier and the ice doesn't really slow them

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    The best way to deal with Phantoms is to have a Krogan maul them to death, an Asari Stasis bomb them or an Infiltrator snipe them with the Widow 3+ times from cloak. Silver or lower lets Vanguards charge them to death with ease.

They kill most other classes really quickly.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'm getting the DLC for 10 dollars instead of paying 20 dollar for it and bunch of bullshit i don't need

really the people who aren't buying the CE are the winners

I buy the CEs for the artbooks even though they're small print. Getting the soundtracks is also a great perk too. Different strokes, I guess.
    ya you should get the shitty artbook i guess or you could order this like I did
    http://www.amazon.ca/Art-Mass-Effect-Universe-Various/dp/1595827684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329941516&sr=8-1
    on sale for 26 bucks and ships tomorrow, i'm super excited

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Should have a new game plus where you start as a level 100 vanguard and just wreck the reapers' shit by charging each reaper, breaking inside, charging the reaper's heart, and moving on
    Z0re wrote: »
    The best way to deal with Phantoms is to have a Krogan maul them to death, an Asari Stasis bomb them or an Infiltrator snipe them with the Widow 3+ times from cloak. Silver or lower lets Vanguards charge them to death with ease.

I like to turn and try to outrun the nearest teammate. It's the same basic strategy for dealing with a bear attack

override367 on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Interview with Casey Hudson and Mac Walters on the end of the Mass Effect trilogy.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/buttonmashers/general/reflecting-on-the-end-of-mass-effect/#.T0U3yxYPpi4.twitter

Well, when it comes to developers talking about endings, I tend to cut that number in half ever since Fallout 3. Still, even if we got three actually different endings, that's still much greater than ME1 or ME2.

Yeah, memories of the claim that Fallout 3 had "hundreds of endings" was fresh in my mind as I read that. And even if we half it, I've got a feeling the endings probably won't be radically different... but dammit, I want to believe.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm getting the DLC for 10 dollars instead of paying 20 dollar for it and bunch of bullshit i don't need

You could look at it that way. Or you could chill out in a hoody with a robot dog. Just sayin'.

I heard a minor spoiler that involves the dog in a scene onboard the Normandy...
    You lose the training fight with Vega... *unless* you have the robodog. :D

That was what tipped the scales for me. Seriously.

I don't know how I feel about that. Same minor spoiler discussion below.
    I mean come on, you fucking headbutt Krogan and FISTFIGHT a Yahg who's like four times your body mass like it ain't no thing in ME2, but you can't win a sparring match with a mere human?

This is mock disappointment, of course. Power alone doesn't win a sparring match - I guess the scene is supposed to show Vega isn't just a dumb grunt, but can also strategize.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

Yeah, memories of the claim that Fallout 3 had "hundreds of endings" was fresh in my mind as I read that. And even if we half it, I've got a feeling the endings probably won't be radically different... but dammit, I want to believe.

he acknowledges that by not counting character death permutations and such as separate endings

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    So from that interview is sounds like ME3 will have 6 major endings with each one being flavored a bit by who lived/died.

I'm pretty sure you can see my erection from the moon right now.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

You could look at it that way. Or you could chill out in a hoody with a robot dog. Just sayin'.

I heard a minor spoiler that involves the dog in a scene onboard the Normandy...
    You lose the training fight with Vega... *unless* you have the robodog. :D

That was what tipped the scales for me. Seriously.

I don't know how I feel about that. Same minor spoiler discussion below.
    I mean come on, you fucking headbutt Krogan and FISTFIGHT a Yahg who's like four times your body mass like it ain't no thing in ME2, but you can't win a sparring match with a mere human?

This is mock disappointment, of course. Power alone doesn't win a sparring match - I guess the scene is supposed to show Vega isn't just a dumb grunt, but can also strategize.

I think it's more to the fact that...
    Shepard is distracted by the Reapers, and of course to show Vega isn't a stupid brawler. Sort of like when Corran Horn "won" a sparring match against Luke Skywalker... and then had his jaw on the floor when he mops up a dozen foo's with lightsabers without any help later on.

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think Mass Effect is a great franchise and I'm getting ME3 and I think it will be a great game, but.

Bioware/EA has annoyed me alot as a PC game consumer. Half-assed promotions, expensive DLC, tedious to download/install DLC, lack of support for older games, lack of 'complete' editions of games. Sometimes I want to give them my money and they make it difficult, sometimes I give them my money and they make it difficult, sometimes they give me alot less for my money than I expected.

The key word is expected. Steam (and developers who put their games on Steam) has raised the expectations of service. I'm not complaining about quality of content (except in the case of some DLCs, notably a few of the Dragon Age ones) but on ease of buying and using said content.

I'm OK with 'free' day-1 DLC that requires a code. (I think the general gaming community is as well) They want to provide an incentive for people to buy the game new so they get more $$$. But major day-1 DLC that costs *extra* is where we start to get into a funny place. Especially in regards to sequels to established franchises. That shit don't fly with new IP, but they know they milk us for ME3. The problem is, they're doing it with cold hands so rather than say: 'cool more content, take my milk' we're all like "WTF!! If you're gonna grab me down there, at least make it comfortable by warming up your hands first."

It feels greedy. Imagine if ME3 were released with only 5 classes,no Vanguard. But the Vanguard was day-1 DLC that cost $10. We're no longer two steps form that place, we're now only one. I, you, and EA knows that alot of folks would pay up for that too.

edit: this thread moves way too fast for an old man like me

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    I don't know how I feel about six endings.

I really hope I only care about getting one of them and the others are various flavors of "human powah!", "Geth Victory" or "You fucked up badly Shepard" I can safely ignore.

I don't like changing my choices on replays. :(

• Options
    Z0re wrote:
    And if you want to go by luck, George Washington escaped more crap through unbelievable bullshit than Shepard ever did. Including having an assassin decide to back down at the last second because they had second thoughts and other insane bullshit luck no one would ever accept if it wasn't true.

Having the Admirals look at Shepard longingly is pretty dumb, but it is absolutely realistic. Tons of things that are realistic are really fucking dumb. Shepard's got a reputation and mythology, partially unearned. That matters more than ability.

My favorite historical trivia is that George Washington accidentally started the French and Indian War while a lieutenant. He massacred a French diplomatic party, and things went from there. And, of course, the taxes to pay for the French and Indian War were what started the Revolution.

If you put that in a novel, the editor would send it back for revision because it was too contrived.

Basically! There's a ton more too.

People have gotten spoiled by suspension of disbelief and have constructed some rather insane notions of what 'realistic' is. Truth of the matter is that ridiculous stuff happens all the damn time and our books and movies that people decry as 'unrealistic' are usually far more conservative than the truth of what actually happens.

People don't want realism, even if they claim they do. They want stuff to follow contrived narrative convention that requires justification for everything, even when nothing in reality actually works out that way. People are just really lucky a lot.

Like Apollo 13. The movie showed a damn disaster, and by a miracle they got out alive. Real life was even worse and more unlikely.

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I haven't read any spoilers (and don't intend to) but I really hope there is a non-canon failure ending, where the galaxy ends up as Reaper food.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I haven't read any spoilers (and don't intend to) but I really hope there is a non-canon failure ending, where the galaxy ends up as Reaper food.
    I think there's one old interview where Casey Hudson said that would be a possibility, and a more recent one where someone else said it wasn't going to be an option.

• Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    Vicktor wrote:
    It feels greedy.

Big companies greedy? Never.

Think about it this way -- the DLC is very much worth the $10 or $20 now, isn't it? Think of the value you get for your money! I think we should actually be thanking Bioware for offering such a good deal in this age of horse armor DLC and shit.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    say, do you have to unlock the alien races in the final game as well, or is that just a demo thing?

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Z0re wrote:
    And if you want to go by luck, George Washington escaped more crap through unbelievable bullshit than Shepard ever did. Including having an assassin decide to back down at the last second because they had second thoughts and other insane bullshit luck no one would ever accept if it wasn't true.

Having the Admirals look at Shepard longingly is pretty dumb, but it is absolutely realistic. Tons of things that are realistic are really fucking dumb. Shepard's got a reputation and mythology, partially unearned. That matters more than ability.

My favorite historical trivia is that George Washington accidentally started the French and Indian War while a lieutenant. He massacred a French diplomatic party, and things went from there. And, of course, the taxes to pay for the French and Indian War were what started the Revolution.

If you put that in a novel, the editor would send it back for revision because it was too contrived.

People have gotten spoiled by suspension of disbelief and have constructed some rather insane notions of what 'realistic' is. Truth of the matter is that ridiculous stuff happens all the damn time and our books and movies that people decry as 'unrealistic' are usually far more conservative than the truth of what actually happens.

People don't want realism, even if they claim they do. They want stuff to follow contrived narrative convention that requires justification for everything, even when nothing in reality actually works out that way. People are just really lucky a lot.

Like Apollo 13. The movie showed a damn disaster, and by a miracle they got out alive. Real life was even worse and more unlikely.

Or real life military crazy stories

Like the one where when they made a movie of his exploits he requested they tone it down because audiences would find it unrealistic

• Options
    Ad astra wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

Fallout New Vegas had a bunch of different endings...though the final fight sequence was largely the same. Does that count?

• Options
    say, do you have to unlock the alien races in the final game as well, or is that just a demo thing?

You have to unlock the opposite genders in the full game too.

Honestly, I wish they would have given the Male/Female humans something to set them apart rather than just the aesthetics. Even just one power difference would make them not feel like we're totally wasting a spot. Or they could roll them into the appearance tab.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Why? People are more than willing to pay for it. If people stopped paying for it, companies would stop providing it.

In this case I feel the boycotters are misaimed. They should be telling people to buy the game and deliberately not buy the DLC if they want to be taken seriously and affect change. Otherwise they aren't even customers so who gives a damn what they think?

A lot of people don't pay for it. You realize how pervasive piracy is right?

So what? Accounting for them is stupid and there is no fucking evidence they'd buy it if Bioware changed a damn thing. Better to just ignore them because if they pirate they're not paying you any ways and their opinion means less than any random schmuck off the street. If you change things to suit them there is no guarantee they'd actually buy it. They'll probably still pirate it anyways so screw them.

You really think fucking paying customers out of features that pirates get on day one doesn't increase piracy?

Really? Really?

Someone better call valve and tell them their entire business model of "provide a better service to paying customers" is wrong, if you can get them to stop swimming in their money bins long enough to take the phone call.

I guess I'll drop it. Frankly I think half of you would be totally okay with any amount of day 1 dlc at any price, if you can't even acknowledge that as a long term trend its bad for the industry. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

override367 on
  • Options

Honestly, I wish they would have given the Male/Female humans something to set them apart rather than just the aesthetics. Even just one power difference would make them not feel like we're totally wasting a spot. Or they could roll them into the appearance tab.

It forces variation. I also like how they screw with gender roles. Default Vangod is a woman. Just as like my femshep. Awwww yeah.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked, but I'm trying to avoid any spoilers for ME3. Does the progress made in the Demo for multiplayer carry over to the main game after release?

short answer: no

long answer:
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

And yet I cannot make myself stop playing it /sigh I need help.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I have been trying to solo silver difficulty as a vanguard and while difficult it is actually really educational! So far I have learned the following:

The biggest enemy of the combat engineer's turret is patience. If you go away and do something else it blows up fairly quickly.

Guardians are bullshit, you should never charge them when they are not alone because they will very frequently (about a third of the time) ignore that they should be knocked back and just punch you in the face.

The Atlas has a melee attack that will instakill you.

The time needed for the hacking objective scales with the number of players, making it easier to solo than I would have expected.

Vic on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I haven't read any spoilers (and don't intend to) but I really hope there is a canon failure ending, where the galaxy ends up as Reaper food.

I fixed that. Because nerd-rage alone would make that be awesome...

I buy the CEs for the artbooks even though they're small print. Getting the soundtracks is also a great perk too. Different strokes, I guess.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Art-Mass-Effect-Universe-Various/dp/1595827684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329941516&sr=8-1

So I should pay 60 bucks for the base game, 26 for the artbook plus S&H for both, 10 bucks for Day 1 DLC, and eventually when it gets released as a pack of its own some of my MS spacebucks for the alternate costumes too?

For an artbook that is ultimately just going to make for something to look at other than the walls and my bathtub and sink? :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited February 2012

It forces variation. I also like how they screw with gender roles. Default Vangod is a woman. Just as like my femshep. Awwww yeah.

See here's an area where I'd be totally supportive of day 1 DLC: more multiplayer appearances, armor graphics, gizmos, pom poms, whatever the fuck

I'd gladly pay to have a yahg as an alternative appearance for the krogan or something

override367 on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The engineer's combt drone is also HILARIOUSLY good at distracting Phantoms. It's so stupidly spammable that a drone with the explosion and multihit perks will completely lock an area down. Alternate between drone and Overload spam and you'll basically never get shot at.

Also: Day 1 DLC is not inherently evil. If it's something you could get in the collector's edition or was actually made after the game went gold then it's legit.

If it's like anything Capcom has been up to lately then it's pure bullshit.

I don't see where the argument is here. Entitled gamers etc.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Whelp. I'm canceling my pre-order on this, even though this is one of my favorite franchises in a looooong time :(
    I don't have the budget to be shelling out for major lore stuff that should have been part of the main game to begin with.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:

I am not a fan of trying to melee a Phantom even with Krogan. They have a one hit kill just like the Atlas. Unless the Krogan is behind them it's a BAD idea.

• Options

Keep the unlocking of the appearance tab tied to unlocking more of the cards then, but I don't see why we need separate Male/Female human versions of all the classes if they have the same powersets.

It just means we waste time unlocking them instead of cool aliens who have new and exciting gameplay that humans don't have. Like how Drell can wreck Guardians with pull while the male human vanguard plays exactly the same as the female human vanguard.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »
    Whelp. I'm canceling my pre-order on this, even though this is one of my favorite franchises in a looooong time :(
    I don't have the budget to be shelling out for major lore stuff that should have been part of the main game to begin with.

it's not major. It only sounds major because it sounds like something you'd want to play.

If it were major, the game would not be completeable without it.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Orca wrote:
    Z0re wrote:

Apollo 13 was an amazing thing. That Nasa got them home was as big, if not bigger, than landing on the moon IMHO.

Edit: Do they still have their 'no casualties in space' record?

Daris on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Daris wrote: »
    Orca wrote:
    Z0re wrote:

Apollo 13 was an amazing thing. That Nasa got them home was as big, if not bigger, than landing on the moon IMHO.

Edit: Do they still have their 'no casualties in space' record?

According to Apollo 18, no.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

it's not major. It only sounds major because it sounds like something you'd want to play.

Pretty Much. After all, just look at how critical Zaeed was!

Oh....wait....

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I haven't read any spoilers (and don't intend to) but I really hope there is a canon failure ending, where the galaxy ends up as Reaper food.

I fixed that. Because nerd-rage alone would make that be awesome...

So I should pay 60 bucks for the base game, 26 for the artbook plus S&H for both, 10 bucks for Day 1 DLC, and eventually when it gets released as a pack of its own some of my MS spacebucks for the alternate costumes too?

For an artbook that is ultimately just going to make for something to look at other than the walls and my bathtub and sink? :P
    you're paying S&H for things with free S&H?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    the Day 1 DLC will always be there on PC, right? it's not like we can buy used...

sQwJu.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Pretty Much. After all, just look at how critical Zaeed was!

Oh....wait....

Zaeed has a very high Hold the Line score, though. So there's that.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    the Day 1 DLC will always be there on PC, right? it's not like we can buy used...
    day 1 dlc is day 1 dlc regardless, it's not like ME2. Online Pass is being used this time instead as the anti-piracy measures so used buyers can't play online multi without the code

the DLC is free with the digital delux edition or the collector's edition both of which cost 20 bucks more than the standard

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it'll be like Kasumi et al, where you can buy it whenever.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    day 1 dlc is day 1 dlc regardless, it's not like ME2. Online Pass is being used this time instead as the anti-piracy measures so used buyers can't play online multi without the code

the DLC is free with the digital delux edition or the collector's edition both of which cost 20 bucks more than the standard

I keep hearing this

I guess people define free differently than me... I switched my preorder to DD so I mean I'm getting it, but I don't have to be happy about it. If it was any other EA franchise than BF or ME this shit wouldn't fly with me.

You watch though, EA's going to try this with everything, new IPs, mediocre shooters, etc.

override367 on