As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    Nuzak wrote: »
    so i'm trying to load up an old save of mass effect 2, and it loads, and all i get is the background of space. should be shepard in the normandy, but all i'm seeing is (presumably) the skybox. i can access the menu, but i can't use the squad sub-menu. this is the same for this shepard's autosaves and manual saves. any ideas? haven't tried any other careers to test if they are affected.

patched and all dlcs installed that your shep had done?

hmm. i might have lost the DLC at some point, i guess. not sure why, but fallout 3 has been acting weird too

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    I think I'm one of the few people who liked DA2. It's not my favorite or anything, but I had a good time (and I enjoyed it more than Origins!)

I also am not bothered by the DLC issue.

I played the demo, and having not really followed anything else about this game, I'm SUPER stoked.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It should be pretty understandable that some folks aren't happy with missing out on a whole list of in-game items because they didn't get the super-duper edition of a game.

"I don't want to pay money for something, so I'm not getting it." How is that missing out?

Missing out is me not getting certain special pre-order items because I refuse to pre-order from that shithole Game Stop. You not getting something because you don't want to pay for it isn't 'missing out', it's the choice that you have made. It's like saying I'm 'missing out' on The Big Bang Theory because I never watch it... well I don't want to watch it, either. That's my choice.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...I guess people had to get the "Grrr...Day 1 DLC." out of their system sooner or later.

Two weeks from release is about right.

I'm expecting this to be a continuing complaint until 3 months after. I notice it's generally not the regulars that are ticked off about it.

That doesn't connotate any sort of solid argument to one side or the other, it just means the people who like the game a lot and post here regularly are happy to pay more for the game and get some more content. That's no revelation.

Yes. That's why paying for DLC you want isn't a terrible thing.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I can respect that some people have problems with Day 1 DLC. I just think it can be discussed in a civil manner. I mean most people already know whether or not they're going to get it so being an ass about it...just serves to make you look like an ass.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Mukk wrote: »
    If Bioware released this DLC, say, a month or two after the launch, no one would be throwing a hissy fit over it. But the content would be exactly the same, so in practice there wouldn't be a difference. To those who're unhappy with the current situation, what if Kasumi or whatsherface had been day 1 DLC? Do you think you would've been as angry as you are now?

If Kasumi was the only human in the galaxy and humans were considered to be long extinct and be the only ones capable of stopping the main antagonist
    I can respect that some people have problems with Day 1 DLC. I just think it can be discussed in a civil manner. I mean most people already know whether or not they're going to get it so being an ass about it...just serves to make you look like an ass.

Well I read several pages calling me an idiot, a child, and loling at the opinion that I hold that day 1 DLC kind of sucks before I said anything

override367 on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    this thread has gone full retard

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    DLC is the price of a couple of pints or one cocktail like, who the hell cares. Gaming remains incredibly good value for money on a price per hour basis versus other forms of entertainment. Personally I would never pay a subscription for a game, so what? Why can't we just live and let live and enjoy our video games.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    alright, just pre-ordered ME3 because of how much I enjoyed the MP. Now I just need to salvage my ME1&2 safe files from my brother's 360. The strange thing is, I'll probably hop into the MP first before starting a singleplayer game.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    "You've been there, in the trenches, @#$%ing them. You know what they're capable of."
    So good

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    G Rol wrote: »
    It is pretty odd that the more desirous that the internet hive mind is of a particular piece of DLC, the more angry the collective becomes by its existence.

I'll pay it gladly as this franchise has proven to have an off the charts Positive Entertainment Value to Sunk Cost Ratio (an economic model of my own design that pertains only to me).

I find it odd that the vast majority of people seem to be happy about having part of the game removed and sold seperately. Like not even indifferent, happy, and extremely hostile towards anyone who disagrees.

Games are content locked well before they go gold. It's possible the Day One DLC was not ready by content lock. Do we have any actual proof that's not the case, and this is just some sinister money grab?

Even knowing what the squadmate is, I'm simply not convinced it's going to impact lore in any meaningful way, especially based on past character DLC. The story is going to be the same regardless of whether this character can join your party or not.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    please use spoiler tags when talking about the squadmate's background even indirectly @override367

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    It is pretty odd that the more desirous that the internet hive mind is of a particular piece of DLC, the more angry the collective becomes by its existence.

I'll pay it gladly as this franchise has proven to have an off the charts Positive Entertainment Value to Sunk Cost Ratio (an economic model of my own design that pertains only to me).

I find it odd that the vast majority of people seem to be happy about having part of the game removed and sold seperately. Like not even indifferent, happy, and extremely hostile towards anyone who disagrees.

Games are content locked well before they go gold. It's possible the Day One DLC was not ready by content lock. Do we have any actual proof that's not the case, and this is just some sinister money grab.

Taky has straight up said this stuff wouldn't otherwise be in the game at all otherwise. You can either believe him or not. It's not a choice between "include this in the base game at no charge" and "include this as paid DLC". It's a choice between "include this as paid DLC" and "don't develop this content at all". Which is why this discussion is so silly.

I believe him when he says they're not deliberately stripping stuff out just to force people to pay for content that's already been developed. He's been forthright enough, and he's here for fun. At worst he simply refuses to comment, so if he comes out and says something, I believe him.

• Options
    also Taky has outright said that, yes, the Day 1 DLC was not ready when the game went gold

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Games are content locked well before they go gold. It's possible the Day One DLC was not ready by content lock. Do we have any actual proof that's not the case, and this is just some sinister money grab?

Even knowing what the squadmate is, I'm simply not convinced it's going to impact lore in any meaningful way, especially based on past character DLC. The story is going to be the same regardless of whether this character can join your party or not.

There's that too. People are arguing based on what they think the significance of the DLC will be, but based on past experience with Bioware DLC I think it will enhance what we will already find out in the game, but it will not completely remove that aspect if we don't have the squad mate.

People are saying "Sebastian!" but, that was 1) a unique game experiment and 2) I personally don't think his story made as much of a difference to the story as some people seemed to think. (I actually wished I could remove Sebastian after playing his story once).

@override367 If you're wondering why people are positive and happy about good writing and exciting gameplay, then I don't know what to tell you. You seem to think that the alternative paying for well-crafted DLC is to get it free. While I believe that the alternative to paying for well-crafted DLC is that the people who make it will stop doing so, because they aren't getting paid for it. Thus, I am happy to pay money towards what I like, and perhaps perpetuate it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    Need one more for gold multiplayer...

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Il iked Sebastian. I thought it was neat to have a different perspective on the events of DA2, and it was nice to have a Lawful Good character who wasn't a prick.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Voro wrote: »
    I like how people seem to think this is a change in behavior from Bioware's norm. Has it been that long since Warden's Keep?

Yeah, big chunks of Dragon Age II made close to zero sense to me because I didn't feel like buying the full suite of Origins DLC years ago.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hate to interrupt the gripping, well-considered debate about Day 1 DLC, but I'd just like to talk about gameplay for a minute here. I had some great games of MP last night with NotoriusBEN, Momento Mori, and some other PA dudes who were awesome to play with. There were many laughs to be had, many Cerberus lackeys murdered hilariously, and even though I'm not super-great at the game, I feel like I did okay (and I hope you guys thought so!). There was even an ethical conversation about the nature of the genophage, almost immediately eclipsed by "dude, did you SEE that guy's head explode? Awesome!" etc. Playing with you guys is way, way better than rolling with pubbies. I would definitely love to do it again.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled argument.

Somebody wants to talk with me about how I might want to spec the Krogan Soldier I just unlocked, or why Overlord was a really neat addition to the other missions in ME2 or whatever, I'm all ears.

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    Actually...I think the only thing really referenced in DA2 compared to DA1 as far as DLC goes was Anders and one of the boss fights I believe.

But you didn't really need that since the game explained most of the stuff you needed to know well.

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Just made it to wave 10 on gold. First time playing gold. That was a lot of phantoms and engineers and atlases.

ps - is there a class that's really good at killing the engi turrets? I play mostly engineer and though I blast through shields and barriers once I hit armor I suck.
    pps - I've bought probably 20 veteran crates and only got one single character unlock. pos turian sentinel. don't even know why anyone would play sentinel.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    also Taky has outright said that, yes, the Day 1 DLC was not ready when the game went gold

Well, that pretty much seals it as nothing to complain about.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Actually...I think the only thing really referenced in DA2 compared to DA1 as far as DLC goes was Anders and one of the boss fights I believe.

But you didn't really need that since the game explained most of the stuff you needed to know well.

Yeah I was gonna say... there wasn't a whole lot of referencing of DLC in that game.

Though I do think getting the Legacy DLC for DAII added a lot. Legacy is perhaps a DLC worth bitching over. Though it would only matter to you if you liked DAII to begin with, so...

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I like how people seem to think this is a change in behavior from Bioware's norm. Has it been that long since Warden's Keep?

Yeah, big chunks of Dragon Age II made close to zero sense to me because I didn't feel like buying the full suite of Origins DLC years ago.

There wasn't much, if anything, in DAII that relied on DAO DLC though?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Anders definitely being the prime example of something that is somewhat unenjoyable and poorly fleshed out without having played the relevant DLC.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    ...As someone who played the original DLC, if anything Anders/Justice being just a dickhead made me even angrier because they used to be cool.

I was all...yeah...Anders...and Justice!? This is going to be awesome.

But it wasn't awesome...it wasn't awesome at all.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    What was Anders' DLC?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    kedinik wrote: »

Anders definitely being the prime example of something that is somewhat unenjoyable and poorly fleshed out without having played the relevant DLC.

Anders/Justice is a fundamentally different person in DAII than the two of them were in Awakenings.

Also running around with him and Isabella or Merrill in your party will basically get him to retell everything important about his character in Awakenings. He used to be carefree and cool, Justice gave him a driving sense of purpose that changed him for the worse in every way. Bam.

Also you could use his cat to revive people in battle.

Z0re on
  • Options
    So we went from bitching about Mass Effect 3 to bitching about Dragon Age II.

~The Circle of Life!~

• Options
    Oh, you meant the expansion...I thought people were ok with that.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    What was Anders' DLC?

Awakenings. The expansion pack one.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait so, to get another thing in ME3, I have to actually play the Kingdom of Amalur demo? I downloaded it and started it, got something for that, but there's actually another thing for playing a certain amount of time?

You have to play it until you reach the end of the demo and a timer starts. Leave the game running for 30 mins and you get the second unlock.

Edit: Or 45 minutes, whatever the exact time is. I had lost my desire to play long before the timer came up.

Yeah it didn't really grab me as much as people seemed to fawn over it. Time to let the counter run.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Il iked Sebastian. I thought it was neat to have a different perspective on the events of DA2, and it was nice to have a Lawful Good character who wasn't a prick.
    i liked him and his story a lot, his actual missions though were crappy and shouldn't have cost what they did, that's all I mean

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Sorry, but do I get the day one DLC if I have the DDE? Or is it only physical CE?

• Options
    Wait so, to get another thing in ME3, I have to actually play the Kingdom of Amalur demo? I downloaded it and started it, got something for that, but there's actually another thing for playing a certain amount of time?

You have to play it until you reach the end of the demo and a timer starts. Leave the game running for 30 mins and you get the second unlock.

Edit: Or 45 minutes, whatever the exact time is. I had lost my desire to play long before the timer came up.

Yeah it didn't really grab me as much as people seemed to fawn over it. Time to let the counter run.

Amalur is painfully generic, but with fun combat and a neat levelling system.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    i liked him and his story a lot, his actual missions though were crappy and shouldn't have cost what they did, that's all I mean

Plus he was an archer with a bad personal ability when the game already gave you Varric, who was more awesome in personality and potentially gamebreaking in terms of mechanics.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The DDE is the same as the CE, so yes.
    Berkshire wrote: »
    Somebody wants to talk with me about how I might want to spec the Krogan Soldier I just unlocked

You only have one cooldown power, and with the rage tree you go into blood rage when you melee three enemies to death. Between max rage (can trigger on two enemies!) and max fortification, you can have like 60% damage reduction and just bash everything (heavy melee does a lot of damage). I haven't tried boosting carnage, because I just ignore it except as an occasional ability whereas inferno grenades are pretty fun, but some people like it.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    The only thing that pissed me off about the Sebastian situation is that
    he leaves if you let Anders live. And the only reason I let Anders live was because I thought killing him was letting him off easy. So I lost 2 party members.

Not only that but my rivalry with Fenris was only at 85 percent so I had to kill him too...

Motherfucker!

• Options
    The only thing that pissed me off about the Sebastian situation is that
    he leaves if you let Anders live. And the only reason I let Anders live was because I thought killing him was letting him off easy. So I lost 2 party members.

Not only that but my rivalry with Fenris was only at 85 percent so I had to kill him too...

Motherfucker!
    If only you could make him tranquil

PNk1Ml4.png