As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last Story: Out now in the other part of the world! The packaging is class!

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    So, here I am, playing the tutorial, when I go into the options menu to fiddle with the camera controls (I prefer my Y Axis inverted, thank you very much).

Turns out you can play around with everybody's colour schemes right from the word go. And you can save up to 10 custom-made colour schemes, which you can, if you like, apply to whichever character you like if you prefer a more uniform look. Sadly you can't save 10 colour schemes per character, but eh.

Yeah, in case it wasn't obvious already, I too like dressing up my characters in RPGs.

The Pink Brigade Cometh!

When I saw the costume colour customisation options in a trailer I got these incredibly heavy Saint's Row 2 flashbacks.

3rd Street Mercenaries represent!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote:
    So, here I am, playing the tutorial, when I go into the options menu to fiddle with the camera controls (I prefer my Y Axis inverted, thank you very much).

Turns out you can play around with everybody's colour schemes right from the word go. And you can save up to 10 custom-made colour schemes, which you can, if you like, apply to whichever character you like if you prefer a more uniform look. Sadly you can't save 10 colour schemes per character, but eh.

Yeah, in case it wasn't obvious already, I too like dressing up my characters in RPGs.

The Pink Brigade Cometh!

When I saw the costume colour customisation options in a trailer I got these incredibly heavy Saint's Row 2 flashbacks.

3rd Street Mercenaries represent!

Oh great. My entire squad will be representing purple.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I wonder how much playtime there is to this game. It's sort of an action RPG...correct?

I think in a way I'm more excited about this than Xenoblade, since with Xenoblade, I kind of know what I'm getting into, but with this, there is quite a bit of mystery for me.

Now granted I have been on media/video blackout with both of these titles just in case they came to the US. Glad I did.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I wonder how much playtime there is to this game. It's sort of an action RPG...correct?

I think in a way I'm more excited about this than Xenoblade, since with Xenoblade, I kind of know what I'm getting into, but with this, there is quite a bit of mystery for me.

Now granted I have been on media/video blackout with both of these titles just in case they came to the US. Glad I did.

Japanese Mass Effect by Sakaguchi.

It's atleast what I heard most so far.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Mass Effect/Gears of War. With swords and crossbows.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    After playing this game for a bit, I have come to the conclusion that Syrenne is not female Reyn.

Reyn is much more of a well-meaning dolt.
    Also he doesn't seem intent on teaching me every single way a British person might talk about being or getting drunk.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So happy. Even better that I get to support XSeed instead of NoA.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Syrenne is totally female Reyn. She even says "get stuck in" in a context for what appears to be sexual innuendo. She's also quite possibly a lez.

Five hours in and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Just following people, running up to enemies, bumping people on the streets, getting hit by an overhead sign of the local tavern. It looks very pretty though aside from a few low quality textures. It's very noticable how the Wii is struggling with the framerate. Let's say the animation isn't buttery smooth. Even the running animation is a bit woody.

The story is quite cheesy, but I just can't hate sappy tales of boy meets girl. It's a classic, you know? The male protagonis is actually so vapid, that I can't help but smile sometimes. These are some of the hilarious banter between him and Syrenne paraphrased.

Syrenne: Come on! Get stuck in!
    Him: What? Why? How? (no joke this is actually how he responds or something akin)

Syrenne: Oh you're just trying to get her in the sack.
    Him: What? No! You've got it all wrong!

Syrenne: How can you not tap that?
    Him: What? I don't know what you're talking about.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    This sounds fantastic.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Oh, wow, so XSeed's huge announcement is that they're bringing over The Last Story with some help from Nintendo?

Holy crap, that's awesome.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    C2B wrote:

Japanese Mass Effect by Sakaguchi.

It's atleast what I heard most so far.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Ha, jokes on you, by supporting XSeed, you ARE supporting NoA! Muahahahaha! :rotate:

Seriously though, this was pretty awesome news, especially since Nintendo usually don't allow others to co-publish their titles.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Ha, jokes on you, by supporting XSeed, you ARE supporting NoA! Muahahahaha! :rotate:

Seriously though, this was pretty awesome news, especially since Nintendo usually don't allow others to co-publish their titles.

A curious monkey in my innards ponders: I wonder how this deal between them came about? This is almost once in a lifetime shit right here, I bet there's a pretty cool story behind all of this.

• Options
    It makes me curious too. I think the last time an outside company was tapped to help publish a title was Cubivore on the GCN. No matter how it came about, I'm one happy camper.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    It makes me curious too. I think the last time an outside company was tapped to help publish a title was Cubivore on the GCN. No matter how it came about, I'm one happy camper.

Wanna bet that there's going to be an Iwata Asks about it? Because I think there might eventually be an Iwata Asks about it to coincide with the NA launch.

• Options
    I hope so. The biggest news of the day seems to not be that the game is coming to the US, but that Nintendo is working with outside partners again. I just hope this isn't a one off thing.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    So, my UK preorder shipped before the USA XSeed announcement. Guess I'm going to have two copies, just like Xenoblade.
    Heh.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Chen wrote:
    Syrenne is totally female Reyn.

I dunno. Take the Arena introduction, for example. Can you imagine Reyn going about introducing it the same way Syrenne did? I sure can't.

Chen wrote:
    She's also quite possibly a lez.
    You're further than I am, but I get the feeling we're supposed to think she might gonna hook up with Lowell on the basis that they bicker a lot, therefore it must be love.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Got a copy flying towards me, should be here Saturday or Monday.

Question: CC or Wii+chuck, what do you say thread?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Question: CC or Wii+chuck, what do you say thread?

I've been using the Classic Controller so far, which works OK.

That said, from what I've seen of the tutorials, the Wiichuck configuration should work pretty well as well.

• Options
    People think Reyn is a lovable oaf, but he can be quite rude as well. So Syrenne flirts, drinks and makes comments about your inexperience in the art of lovemaking. She's a woman. That's what women do!

The tutorials kind of bug me. They first tell you how to perform an action on the Wiimote+Nunchuck and then says "For the classic controller, do this." Since the tutorial videos can't be paused, you're sometimes like "Wait, what does this do again?" and have to watch from the start because you can't read and absorb both. I do like the classic controller setup though as it has an extra analogue stick for the camera.

Other things that bug me are slight but still annoying. When you're walking around the city, the icon in the left bottom corner flashes sometimes, indicating there's an item lying on the ground. If you don't immediately go to camera view and spot it, it just vanishes which happens fairly quickly. How can it disappear, right?

Another thing is when you go near people, dialogue might trigger, but when you're out of their range, they stop talking, sometimes in the middle of a sentence. I suppose they have to do this so you can't trigger both at the same time. What bugs me more is when you and your party members are having a conversation on the field and by walking around you may trigger a cutscene, and I'm like "Wait, what did Syrenne say about me this time?"

These things are sort of not helping in suspending my disbelief. Another thing I notice is that your wingmen are always following and backing you, but sometimes when a certain location is loaded just before a cutscene, they're nowhere to be seen, because the game thinks you're immediately going to trigger the cutscene, instead of waiting or looking around the place. I get it's like an interactive movie where you go from cutscene to cutscene, but it's not as polished as it could have been. Like say Xenoblade, but to be fair, they do two entirely different things.

Things I very much like is the upgrade system. While weapons have base stats that get higher the further you get in the game, armour always has the same base stats at lvl. 1. The only way to improve armour is to upgrade it. So you can pick the nicest looking one and go from there. Haven't used any dyes yet, but the customization is fairly flexible.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Other things that bug me are slight but still annoying. When you're walking around the city, the icon in the left bottom corner flashes sometimes, indicating there's an item lying on the ground. If you don't immediately go to camera view and spot it, it just vanishes which happens fairly quickly. How can it disappear, right?
    This is when the wind blows. Catch the leaf before it blows away. Keep catching them for LEAF COMBO.

So. Played about 2 hrs. I don't think the Wii is struggling with anything but the code in this game. There are many games with as much going on as in this one that don't grind to a halt when you turn a corner. I really just think that it's not that well programmed.

The only thing worse than bad British voice acting is bad American voice acting. Where my subs at? I guess some of the characters are better than others but it's just as jarring to jam a bunch of British colloquialisms into an alien fantasy setting as it is American ones.

Be all that as it may, I dig it so far. It looks pretty nice when it's not running at 17 fps and the gameplay is novel and entertaining. The music is mixed. Some nice stuff, some horrible violin playing and some generic JRPG Uematsu fare. The setting is pretty interesting so far as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The only thing worse than bad British voice acting is bad American voice acting. Where my subs at? I guess some of the characters are better than others but it's just as jarring to jam a bunch of British colloquialisms into an alien fantasy setting as it is American ones.

Well, at least the city looks vaguely European-ish, so British doesn't seem that far out of place to me.

Now, if everybody was talking Japanese that'd be weird.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Guise guise, The Gooch held a presentation of the game at the Bafta's.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/02/23/hironobu-sakaguchi-presents-the-last-story-gameplay-commentary

He's got some fairly neat commentary going on, and I'm sort of amazed how much attention and hype he's getting over this one game. All aboard the Gooch Train!

Zephiran on

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    an alien fantasy setting

Kind of like Britain to your average American.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    an alien fantasy setting

Kind of like Britain to your average American.

Yup, pretty much. All the Britishisms will sound normal to Americans.

Worked in Xenoblade, even with the totally non-medieval fantasy setting.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So... action RPG? What does it play like? Any comparisons?

I heard some people bitching that this is too "Basic", no gimmicks. This is actually a good thing in my mind, but then again, I still like Dragon Quest, so...

• Options
    Some of the plot devices are really dumb. Like, dang. And I'm not talking about the romance subplot.

The game structure is similar to a lot of the linear action fantasy games this generation like Fable, Overlord and Lord of the Rings.

The combat bears similarities to Gears of War and Mass Effect. You exclusively play as the main protagonist who does most of the grunt work. I can't say I like this better than other action JRPGs. Hiding behind cover is useless once enemies start ganging up on your magic users which they tend to do. You can pull aggro, but usually you need to run and revive someone because they die from a stiff breeze. And you pretty much have to because you're the only one who can revive your mates. That said, it's not all that challenging. I only got one game over 8 hours in and that's because a boss can KO you instantly with one of its attacks. I will say that it's fairly annoying that you auto-attack enemies in range when what you really want to do is run and activate your revive spell.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Wooo so GAME cancelled my limited pre-order. I should probably check that online shopping email more.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    qHJcP.jpg

Nice.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I will say that it's fairly annoying that you auto-attack enemies in range when what you really want to do is run and activate your revive spell.

You can change this in the options. You can make it so A attacks instead of auto attack.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That's good to know. Some of the rooms you fight in are rather small and have inanimate obstacles. It'd help if I could just jump over them, but I think you have to take cover first and then be able to jump. Not sure how I can jump over enemies without attacking them.

One tip for you guys about to start: buy, buy, buy, then sell, sell sell! I don't know what controls the market value, but commodities have now increased like five times in value. Dump every coin you have in whatever's available, though I think copper, iron and other metals have risen the most.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Ugh, the voice acting is soooo bad. Not really digging the combat yet either.

• Options
    That's good to know. Some of the rooms you fight in are rather small and have inanimate obstacles. It'd help if I could just jump over them, but I think you have to take cover first and then be able to jump. Not sure how I can jump over enemies without attacking them.

Dude, you really vagued out in the tutorial didn't you? You can guard, I think it's hold R, to automatically vault over stuff, even your teammates.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ugh. Posting from phone sucks. Won't let me edit my last post. What I meant to say was hold R as you approach whatever it is you want to vault over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    So I got a package today, thought it was something business related.

It's not, its the UK edition of TLS. Can't wait to get stuck in later, but now is time for work. Still that's the fastest thing I've ever had shipped over here. He bought it sometime Wednesday and it got here early Friday, so I guess it was very much worth it to pay that much for shipping.

• Options
    Well, it's not exactly intuitive, but I suppose I'm not really an expert in action games to judge. That or I played too much Zelda in my lifetime. I think I'm getting the hang of dodging, blocking, diffusing spells and issuing commands though. Apparently, going manual will weaken your attacks, so that's out of the question. I just wish casting spells didn't have a huge countdown and make you a sitting duck. Sometimes they start casting one in front of a huge mob and I have to use my blue glow thing to grab attention, then they die anyway because they're glass. Luckily, they have five lives!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I got a package today, thought it was something business related.

It's not, its the UK edition of TLS. Can't wait to get stuck in later, but now is time for work. Still that's the fastest thing I've ever had shipped over here. He bought it sometime Wednesday and it got here early Friday, so I guess it was very much worth it to pay that much for shipping.

Mine didn't turn up today and I'm in the fucking UK!

EvilRedEye on
    Gone.
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    Well, it's not exactly intuitive, but I suppose I'm not really an expert in action games to judge. That or I played too much Zelda in my lifetime. I think I'm getting the hang of dodging, blocking, diffusing spells and issuing commands though. Apparently, going manual will weaken your attacks, so that's out of the question. I just wish casting spells didn't have a huge countdown and make you a sitting duck. Sometimes they start casting one in front of a huge mob and I have to use my blue glow thing to grab attention, then they die anyway because they're glass. Luckily, they have five lives!

Seems like, at least from videos I've watched in the past, you're rewarded for drawing aggro early on and using the time to let everyone else set up.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Your reward for drawing aggro is a mistimed dodge/block and getting killed/taken out of your tanking mode. That or getting hit for light damage and eventually shooting out an aoe super slow.

Played a lot of this game today. Story is by the books and is a bit disjointed, but boss fights are ridiculously fun and I could spend days recoloring the armour to make it just right. Voice acting is decent, not quite as good as Xenoblade but not bad either. Not a terrible fan of the main character's look but eh.