As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Black Prism/Blinding Knife Discussion

2»

• Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    zeeny wrote: »
    A minute ago I didn't know book trailers exist and I felt so much better;o/

That was my first time looking at a book trailer and now I wish I didn't! Oi.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I don't know, I think both series are great not just "good" (though that's not really a distinction that makes a great deal of sense to me).

I don't think there's much to be gained from comparing them to other great works - like ASOIAF because they're radically different projects.

• Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    These book trailers sound awful...

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    I agree that it is too good to call the series great, but the first book was definitely good, and if the second keeps up the quality and tempo I could see this developing a pretty big cult following.

Though color magic like this would not translate well to the TV/movie screen.

How does the magic work exactly? Why do you think it would be difficult to adapt?

Folks are able to convert light into solid matter and, like, fire and stuff. Folks can work with a given spectrum of light. The Prism gets to do it with all forms of near visible spectrum light, which is fairly special. .

I just started in on it, but magically making CGI objects and stuff doesn't really seem like it would be that hard to translate to a TV, there's plenty of anime where characters can make stuff out of magic, and they never really seem to have a problem making it work. There's actually all this potential for really neat effects, because they actually sort of channel the light through themselves, so there would be room for all sorts of neat glowie particle effects.

I really don't know why Eri is saying it would be hard to translate.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I guess I'd imagine the CGI budget to be pretty big with all that drafting out of thin air. If it was live action. If it was animated, sure anything goes.

Physical objects are drafted, spectrums of light only the characters can see, some people have colors replacing body parts. I don't know it seems a bit much for live-action.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    about 300+ pgs into the black prism, pretty hooked. just read the twist
    I sort of guessed that Kip was Dazen's from the way Gavin talked about him. I suspected Gavin had impersonated his brother. But still a pretty ballsy move by Weeks. curious to see how it plays out

god this book will be impossible to talk about without "real dazen" and "real gavin".

valiance on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    I guess I'd imagine the CGI budget to be pretty big with all that drafting out of thin air. If it was live action. If it was animated, sure anything goes.

Physical objects are drafted, spectrums of light only the characters can see, some people have colors replacing body parts. I don't know it seems a bit much for live-action.

Films like Avatar & Tron: Legacy are quickly making these obstacles a non-issue for live action.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    done!
    I really liked hearing Karis's history. Sad backstory. The more the families become intertwined, the better I like the story. The more convoluted, incestuous and ASOIAFish the better.

I liked Gavin's mom and dad. good characters.

I feel like a lot of people know Dazen's secret: Corovan, his mom, miranda, samila sayeh, bas figures it out, karris figures it out... interested to see who else knows and why they haven't spilled the beans

loved the 7 prisons revelation. biggest holy shit moment since the gavin is dazen reveal.

I'm excited by the blinding knife and finding out what it does/what gavin and his father knew

also looking forward to more on the omnichrome and the chromeria and colorwights.

What is Omnichrome's belief system?
    What is Dazen's seventh goal?
    Why did the omnichrome say Dazen was trying to free drafters?
    Why is he dying now?
    Is Kip a prism? (I'm going with yes)
    Why the hell does Dazen keep gavin alive?

I don't feel super attached to any of the characters--I think I find most of the adult characters mildly pleasant (but kip is sort of annoying). Noone important died, which makes me think the comparison to GRRMartin are unwarranted, but the political situation, intrigue, magic system, and mythology are enough to keep me interested and watching for the next few.

valiance on
  • Options
    See, see people read it and like it!

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    done!
    Why is he dying now?
    Is Kip a prism? (I'm going with yes)
    Why the hell does Dazen keep gavin alive?
    I think, in order:

He's losing a colour because the apprentice guy stabbed him with the white bladed knife (the eponymous blinding knife for the second book). I think it's almost certainly a tool used by the White to control the prisms, but it has been stolen as part of Gavin and their father's plans.
    I think it's almost definitely the case.
    I am guessing it's because Dazen is fundamentally a good guy and can't bring himself to kill his brother, no matter how big of an asshole he may be. I'm not sure if there's going to be something more than that - but it will certainly bite him on the arse in the not too distant.

Parallel thought - which colour did Dazen lose at the end? Was it red or blue - the two colours relevant to Gavin's imprisonment? I don't remember.
    What is a black prism as opposed to a regular one?

• Options
    It seems The Broken Eye (Lightbringer book 3) was released over two months ago!

I only just found this out.

I am totally hype.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    It was a fun read. Still lots of questions left after, in my opinion, but you do find some stuff out.