As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Greatest Game that no one ever played

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Lot of games people are talking about I have already played which just reconfirms my belief that I have good taste lol. I would have thought coming into here that a lot more obscure RPG's would be showing up but a surprising diversity in genre is present.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Omega Boost !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHkBRmxrZ4s

I still have this game in my collection. So awesome.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I thought full auto wad pretty decent for a 360 launch title. I had a lit of fun with it.

The first fight night on the 360 which I believe was also a launch title was so freaking good. Looked amazing and played beautifully.

I also enjoyed the first Just Cause game which was universally panned. I would spend hours just flying around the beautiful looking island.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    WARGASM, PC game back from 98
    WARGASM (which stands for War Ground Air Special Missions) is a 3D real-time strategy game developed by Digital Image Design and published by Infogrames in 1998 for the Windows PC platform. The game uses the 3Dream engine which allows for rich, atmospheric and varied battlefields as well as cutting edge (for its time) graphics. The player acted as commander and could direct AI friendly units as to what to do via a simple control interface on a 2D overhead map, and if desired could jump directly into any allied unit and control it in the 3D real-time environment.

You can fight as a regular infantryman, special forces soldier, in a tank, in an armored personnel carrier (APC) or in a helicopter. Airstrikes are also available that are carried out by ground attack aircraft and stealth bombers but they cannot be controlled by the player.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDi2dEgi-Sw
    game was great

OH. MY. GOD. How did I forget this!? I played the demo over at a friends, back when I was in middle school around 14ish years ago. Every morning before school if go over To his and we'd set it up. So many great memories of that.

• ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Poy Poy and Poy Poy 2 for the Playstation.

It filled that gap between Bomberman and Super Smash Bros., except no one really played it despite great reviews.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've recently dug out my old NES, SNES, and Genesis and am looking for a TG-16 so I can enjoy some of the games I played/might have missed back when I was kid.

This weekend a buddy let me borrow his copy of Earthbound and I'm hooked.

Gonna bookmark this thread and check out some of these other games (if I can find them) and give them a whirl when I'm done with Earthbound.

Also, wasn't there a Macross/Robotech game in this era? I could have sworn I played a game where you piloted a Varitech fighter back when I was a kid.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    I've recently dug out my old NES, SNES, and Genesis and am looking for a TG-16 so I can enjoy some of the games I played/might have missed back when I was kid.

This weekend a buddy let me borrow his copy of Earthbound and I'm hooked.

Gonna bookmark this thread and check out some of these other games (if I can find them) and give them a whirl when I'm done with Earthbound.

Also, wasn't there a Macross/Robotech game in this era? I could have sworn I played a game where you piloted a Varitech fighter back when I was a kid.

Yes there was. I can't remember the name of it.

I'd also like to present something that Frozen Synapse borrowed from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboSport

Macintosh based game. Turn based at the same time movement. Played the crap out of it, probably because game selection was pretty poor back then... regardless, it was a good game.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I have to have missed it, but just in case a didn't, no mention of Elite?
    Elite_org_cover.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

Also I humbly submit Spirit/Vengeance of Excalibur, which may not qualify because most people I've talked to who've played it (short list) weren't very fond of it.
    Vengeance_of_Excalibur.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vengeance_of_Excalibur

nessin on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Elite was pretty goddamn influential, though, so I don't think that quite counts.
    Beltaine wrote:
    Scrambled Valkyrie, and it is awesome as fuck, soundtrack included.

• nessinnessin Registered User regular
    Sorenson wrote:
    Elite was pretty goddamn influential, though, so I don't think that quite counts.

Not really. A lot of people may know about it, but not a lot have played it thanks to it's age. Also people talk about how it inspired the 90s Spacesims, but Elite stands on it's compared to just about everything but the Privateer and X games.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Has anyone mentioned Escape from Horrorland yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLTloslTdg

Next to King's Quest, my first adventure game. Loved it. Jeff Goldblum is dracula!

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Beetle Adventure Racing.

I think it's on the Wii VC now so go buy it.

right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7aC645X4M

also

ITF_Cover.png

Because LITERALLY no one played it.

There was a Babylon 5 game?
    I had no idea a Babylon 5 game ever even existed.

There were/are two. The one mentioned, Babylon 5: Into the Fire, was cancelled in 1999 during the Sierra upheavals, despite being nearly done and just a couple months from release. The old Sierra site for it is still online.

This sums up that game pretty well:
    http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Babylon_5:_Into_the_Fire_(Game)

There is another one that made release sometime around 2003, I believe as a free independent project. However, at this time, I only know of one place to procure it, and I will have to procure mod approval before I tell you about it. And I never played it.

Things have changed. The independent game is called Babylon 5: I've Found Her. Apparently the team is still active, which I had not known, though they don't do much. Their new website is confusing, so I don't know what happened to the original released campaign, but they're working on a prequel campaign, and a sequel to the prequel. http://ifhgame.ru/forums/index.php?/topic/164-project-faq/

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I've only played a few chapters (and I need to get back to it someday) but I thought that Shadow of Destiny was a pretty cool little game. Sure it's a bit stiff in execution and production values, but the use of time travel with trial and error adventure gameplay made for a neet experience.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    UrbanAssault-boxart.png

A fun strategy game where you could spawn helicopters and tanks and either have them be ai controlled or take command of them yourself.

This was an awesomely fun game, particularly since it came with my force feedback stick (I am guessing it is not as awesome flipping upside down in a helicopter if you're using a mouse) - and was designed to use it.

You have a mobile, hovering base that draws power from power stations and is split into host station (main base) health and building stuff (so if you really wanted to build something that costs more you could drop your health for a bit). Then you capture squares to increase your power output (if you have a power plant) until you capture the zones necessary to open the exit gate (usually by destroying the enemy. But you could open the gate, beam your host station and units through and leave ...and this was necessary on some early levels, which you could then go back to).

I've also mentioned - possibly in this thread or one like it - this was the first game I actually modded. All of the levels, items, unit details and the like were actually just in txt files in the directory. So you could hypothetically build your own level by just changing numbers around. Or spawn yourself about 10 power stations with quad flak cannons to protect you because you're not the best RTS player (mainly because I had more fun spawning 100s of fireflys than actually piloting something, and in-game piloting a vehicle in person substantially increases its health and attack power).

As post-apocalyptic background stories for non-sensical game mechanics go, the idea behind the game wasn't too terrible. Sort of a Matrix meets Arrival meets Independence Day. Cataclysmic event occurs, humans fracture into different factions, aliens come to try and steal what's left of the Earth's heat and resources. Coupled with text-based background information in mission briefings.

It was exceptionally fun. Although the interface was very versatile and there were interesting gameplay mechanics, it has not aged well graphically.

Enemy host station destroyed.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anybody play Hero Core by Remar Games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_xdCHdSqg

It's basically a Metroidvania plus shmup with awesomely retro 2-bit graphics. Fantastic soundtrack too, and it's FREE. Basically, you have no excuse not to play this game. Get on it, chop chop.

EVOL on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So, other than the Final Fantasies, Dragon Quest/Warrior, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Robotrek, what other "worth playing" RPG's were released for the SNES?

Were there any "worth playing" Genesis RPG's?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    UrbanAssault-boxart.png

A fun strategy game where you could spawn helicopters and tanks and either have them be ai controlled or take command of them yourself.

This was an awesomely fun game, particularly since it came with my force feedback stick (I am guessing it is not as awesome flipping upside down in a helicopter if you're using a mouse) - and was designed to use it.

You have a mobile, hovering base that draws power from power stations and is split into host station (main base) health and building stuff (so if you really wanted to build something that costs more you could drop your health for a bit). Then you capture squares to increase your power output (if you have a power plant) until you capture the zones necessary to open the exit gate (usually by destroying the enemy. But you could open the gate, beam your host station and units through and leave ...and this was necessary on some early levels, which you could then go back to).

I've also mentioned - possibly in this thread or one like it - this was the first game I actually modded. All of the levels, items, unit details and the like were actually just in txt files in the directory. So you could hypothetically build your own level by just changing numbers around. Or spawn yourself about 10 power stations with quad flak cannons to protect you because you're not the best RTS player (mainly because I had more fun spawning 100s of fireflys than actually piloting something, and in-game piloting a vehicle in person substantially increases its health and attack power).

As post-apocalyptic background stories for non-sensical game mechanics go, the idea behind the game wasn't too terrible. Sort of a Matrix meets Arrival meets Independence Day. Cataclysmic event occurs, humans fracture into different factions, aliens come to try and steal what's left of the Earth's heat and resources. Coupled with text-based background information in mission briefings.

It was exceptionally fun. Although the interface was very versatile and there were interesting gameplay mechanics, it has not aged well graphically.

Man, I always wanted to try this one, because I think it predates Battlezone. The marketing for it was brilliant.

One page would be "I am an Action gamer, one with the crosshairs, gunslinger who can destroy everything" and the next page would be "you died because you tried to be a one man army with no strategy." And another page would be "I am an RTS player, I own the battlefield, nothing crosses my gaze and my army moves lightning fast at my command," and the next page would be "you lost because you didn't get your hands dirty." BL should have had something like that.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Outpost%28sierra%29.jpg

OUTPOST

I was 7 when this came out. I remember being not very good at it, but I was fascinated. It probably wasn't a very good game, but oh man, it was a SPACE COLONY, and it led me to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, which everyone knows is fantastic.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    So, other than the Final Fantasies, Dragon Quest/Warrior, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Robotrek, what other "worth playing" RPG's were released for the SNES?

Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    7th Saga
    Romancing Saga
    Uncharted Waters
    Tales of Phantasia
    Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia
    Drakkhen
    Breath of Fire
    Soul Blazer
    E.V.O.
    Mario RPG

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    And for Genesis, you have the Shining and Phantasy Star series. Phantasy Star IV is one of the best RPGs of that era, if not of all time. It's my favorite RPG, too.

uyvfOQy.png
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Pirusu wrote:
    Outpost%28sierra%29.jpg

OUTPOST

I was 7 when this came out. I remember being not very good at it, but I was fascinated. It probably wasn't a very good game, but oh man, it was a SPACE COLONY, and it led me to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, which everyone knows is fantastic.

I remember that. I still have it.

The panic button was the best.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Cantido wrote:
    UrbanAssault-boxart.png

Man, I always wanted to try this one, because I think it predates Battlezone. The marketing for it was brilliant.

One page would be "I am an Action gamer, one with the crosshairs, gunslinger who can destroy everything" and the next page would be "you died because you tried to be a one man army with no strategy." And another page would be "I am an RTS player, I own the battlefield, nothing crosses my gaze and my army moves lightning fast at my command," and the next page would be "you lost because you didn't get your hands dirty." BL should have had something like that.

They sort of did with a 3-page ad in PC Gamer. First page showed a BZ battlefield from the traditional perspective with words similar to "We're going to change the way you look at RTS games forever..."
    Turn the page to a two-page spread from a Grizzly cockpit (that showed the same battlefield) "... From the front lines."
    And everything was tagged with hints and notes like "securing this geyser will allow to construct a base", "salvage the metal from your kill and build more troops", etc.

Edit: oh, you were talking about Brutal Legend.

My bad.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I remember a awesome/bad sprite-based fps called ashes to ashes. The battles were set in arenas, there were vehicles including a cool looking mech and the objective was to find these brains scattered around the arena and kill them. It had an awesome theme song.

As someone who spends a lot of time reading online video game discussion, I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned.

EDIT: it seems like it doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    There are two undersea combat/exploration games I have fond memories of. I just wish more folks would make games like these.

Treasures of the Deep for the PS1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwE9cLLKHVk&list=FLwp-8svrJ4_aw2tilOuTCuA&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Sub Rebellion for the PS2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-0QrX7gqY

Mailman12089.jpg
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote:

Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    7th Saga
    Romancing Saga
    Uncharted Waters
    Tales of Phantasia
    Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia
    Drakkhen
    Breath of Fire
    Soul Blazer
    E.V.O.
    Mario RPG

If you end up liking the actiony-rpgs like Secret of Mana, Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and Soul Blazer I'd very much recommend Lagoon!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:
    Beltaine wrote:

Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    7th Saga
    Romancing Saga
    Uncharted Waters
    Tales of Phantasia
    Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia
    Drakkhen
    Breath of Fire
    Soul Blazer
    E.V.O.
    Mario RPG

If you end up liking the actiony-rpgs like Secret of Mana, Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and Soul Blazer I'd very much recommend Lagoon!

Also Beyond Oasis was a very good game. I think it can be found on the Wii Virtual console.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, ESPN Street Games. It was a very early PS1 title, played very similar to Road Rash only you could pick whether to ride a bike, skateboard, roller blades, a street luge. My favorite was the roller blades, it always made me feel like I was playing a video game version of that movie Airborn :-)

youtu.be/1EselwQ50DM

Another one off the top, on SNES a game called Metal Warriors. Not sure how popular it is but I know most people I ever brought it up to never played it. Basically it was a sort of a Robotech theme, but you could stwith to several different types of mechs, one that could fly, one that was like a tank, and a several other crazy ones like a spider and a morph ball style a' la metroid.

youtu.be/CZTJ1guQwMo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    expendable wrote:
    Pirusu wrote:
    Outpost%28sierra%29.jpg

OUTPOST

I remember that. I still have it.

The panic button was the best.

I remember that game being so hard! I just never understood what I needed to do. "Any mistakes at this point will doom you and your colonists to certain death. Have a nice day."

A game I played with a friend a lot when I was younger was Midnight Rescue!

Midnight_Rescue_Screenshot.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:

Soul Blazer

I did and still do get a little weepy at the end of Soul Blazer. That game was great.

• South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    I remember Treasures of the Deep. I was horrible at it, but I wanted to be good at it, because it seemed awesome.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Escape from Horrorland yet?

Next to King's Quest, my first adventure game. Loved it. Jeff Goldblum is dracula!

Wow, I might have to look that one up. I like how they blended in the video with the environments. They played around with perspective instead of having the actor just stand there. I avoided those games since they were aimed at kids, but I like the technical work on that one.

Krathoon on
  • FanaticalistFanaticalist Registered User regular
    8474c60d25ca89c6002495349baaf74c.jpg

Turn based strategy game with roman gladiator setting. AND CO-OP

This was basically the foundation of me and my brother's relationship for a year
    pedro0930 wrote: »
    GigaFigGalvTeam.jpg

Allegiance will always have a special spot in my heart. Too bad it's pretty dead nowadays except during weekend.

These two are probably my favorite representatives from this crop. Gladius was a great game, but Allegiance was so far ahead of its time. A heavily team-based space themed FPS with RTS command elements released over a decade ago? How could this possibly fail?

But fail it did. It was revived by a strong user community and given an overhaul, but I've never tried the modern version myself. Here are a couple of videos for your eyeballs:

Pew pew
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAl75n_9Xk

Top down perspective
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVY4SPk__Yc

• SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    MischiefMakersCover.jpg

Apologies if it was posted already, but I fucking love this game

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Koudelka, the prequel to the Shadow Hearts games, while flawed in its gameplay aspects, has the finest VA of the PSX era and truly effective storytelling that holds up even today.

• EventHEventH Registered User regular
    UrbanAssault-boxart.png

So glad someone posted this, as I loved Urban Assault. Unfortunately, I think it was also way ahead of its time (in a good way!). Maybe someone will come along and remake it

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I always liked Captain Skyhawk for the NES. I never met anybody that played it though. It sure had some badass music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu_2nq-bjRg

This man knows what he's talking about. I used to play it "co-op" with my dad when I was just four years old; he'd fly the plane while I spammed the fire buttons. So good.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G7eB8tl9Yw

• Mr. StrangeMr. Strange Registered User regular
    Rise of Legends, and Dark Reign 2 are both fantastic games, and don't get nearly enough attention.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man. Especially the DS port, though the console versions are also really good!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Freespace 2 & Grim Fandango are basically proof that the public is too stupid to be trusted with anything.

Split/Second is proof that the world hates fun.

With Love and Courage
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Tzen wrote:
    shadow-of-rome-20050202102101652.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kh3DTwCkuc&list=PL7F48119A6DCF101B&index=1&feature=plpp_video

God of War Schmod of War.

This game is apparently the origin of the Dead Rising games. I can definitely see some Agrippa in Frank West.

YES.

This game remains the only reason I'm still pissed my original PS3 was stolen.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705