As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i was instantly cheered up by the jsr announcement so today has been a mixed bag

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It better come to PC aswell.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i was instantly cheered up by the jsr announcement so today has been a mixed bag

If I told you that Shenmue I and II were likely to be the next Sega DD releases, how would your day go?

skyrocketin'

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So... should the name of this thread be changed to Sonic 4 now, or what?

Anyway, looks good, though I didn't really see anything to silence the physics critics so much. But then, I guess I don't know what to look for-- sounds like TSR does, though.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    skyrocketin'

A long while ago, a bunch of future games for XBLA and PSN leaked via partnernet

One of the games leaked was JSR:

aHkbm.jpg

included in the leak was this:

FYJ7I.jpg

Project Berkley

Sky rockets in flight.... afternoon delight...

Anyway, looks good, though I didn't really see anything to silence the physics critics so much. But then, I guess I don't know what to look for-- sounds like TSR does, though.

I'll make an episode 2 thread in a few days when I get unjailed

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    So the four zones for this one are the Aquatic Ruins/Marble Zone hybrid, a water zone, an ice zone, and a carnival zone?

Or are those last three all one zone? I know you can see Carnival stuff in the background of some ice shots, but wasn't sure if that meant they were the same level, or if they had a level progression like Sonic 3 and were showing you where you were heading next.

Lars wrote: »
    So the four zones for this one are the Aquatic Ruins/Marble Zone hybrid, a water zone, an ice zone, and a carnival zone?

Or are those last three all one zone? I know you can see Carnival stuff in the background of some ice shots, but wasn't sure if that meant they were the same level, or if they had a level progression like Sonic 3 and were showing you where you were heading next.

The ice zone and carnival zone are the same, it's called Holiday Park Zone. Additionally, like Sonic 3, it seems every zone will have water to some degree.

Thus, only 2 zones have been shown off thus far.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lars wrote:

There's another zone that's only had one screenshot released:
    Sonic-4-Episode-2-Screenshots-9.jpg

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Oh god the JSR! That better come out on PC as well. I can imagine some of the hilarious images people can do for tags.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Lars wrote:

There's another zone that's only had one screenshot released:
    Sonic-4-Episode-2-Screenshots-9.jpg

Ah yes, I was speaking about the trailer specifically, though. But we also know of that Zone through the leak. Meaning there is still 1 zone that is totally in the dark.

Riokenn wrote: »
    Oh god the JSR! That better come out on PC as well. I can imagine some of the hilarious images people can do for tags.

Being able to go online and download any picture from the web and use it as your tag was one of the coolest features in the dreamcast version. That will likely be removed from the ports, but it'd be awesome if they let us, say, use an image from a USB drive or something stored on the HDD.

So, word is that there is no playing as only Sonic or only Tails, that you have to play as the team. Which, given the team moves, seems to make sense.

Still, I'm curious how this might work. Will it be like Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Can you tag out like in DKC to use different abilities?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular

To be fair, we won't really know how well the physics work until we get our hands on the thing.

Put me in the camp that couldn't get along with the Episode 1 physics though. I like the look of this one more though, the levels seem pretty visually interesting.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    i would be far more excited for s4e2 if the trailer hadn't been so heavily edited that you never saw more than 2 seconds of a level

i mean the generations trailer had no problem showing a good long chunk of gorgeously designed level so

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The graphics are technically good, but the art style just seems bland, it reminds me of New Super Mario Bros.
    skyrocketin'

A long while ago, a bunch of future games for XBLA and PSN leaked via partnernet

One of the games leaked was JSR:

[imx]http://i.imgur.com/aHkbm.jpg[/img]

included in the leak was this:

[imx]http://i.imgur.com/FYJ7I.jpg[/img]

Project Berkley
    You got me all excited for a Project Barkley

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    So since this has degraded into a general sega topic, and since I already mentioned the upcoming Shenmue port, I figured I'd drop a line in here. I've spoken in other threads about how sega owns Giri Giri, the saturn emulator, and hasn't done anything with it. My implication was met with skepticism from some.

Well while I have heard rumblings about said implication, I just got through a long conversation with someone in a position to know a lot of things and I figured I'd throw this out here - Shenmue will be the last dreamcast DD title for a while. Let's just say Sega is eyeing SSF the same way they eyed Kega years ago. And no, I can't substantiate this claim other than with a "trust me," but this is something that I've heard enough about from people with credibility that I feel comfortable talking about it now.

Don't take this as a "ZOMG PANZER DRAGOON SAGA COMING TO XBLA" confirmation or anything. Rather, just an indication of the direction sega is willing to go in the near future.

Italax wrote: »
    To be fair, we won't really know how well the physics work until we get our hands on the thing.

Oh, of course. I just thought I'd seen somewhere (this thread, even?) that the new trailer was supposed to have something to show that off.
    agoaj wrote: »
    The graphics are technically good, but the art style just seems bland, it reminds me of New Super Mario Bros.

Really? I wish New Super Mario Bros. looked more like this. The first one reminded me of NSMB, but this one seems more like DKC Returns or something, if a comparison were to be made.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say that I found a near brand new copy of Sonic Generations at my local pawn shop for ten bucks..so I snagged it.

I started and finished the game in two sittings. I haven't done that for a Sonic game in a very, very, VERY long time. I loved it. It was so chock full of awesome that it brought me back when I opened my Sega Genesis that my parents just bought me and played Sonic for the very first time. As a Nintendo kid growing up, it was one of the few games that gave me a squeely feeling when I played my Genesis.

This game is fantastic. And it has my favorite levels from both Sonic Adventures, so I was very happy to play those. I wish they gave us a couple more levels from the classic games, and left out the level from 06, but all in all, fantastic game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I reeeeaaaally want some DLC. I feel like they missed the best levels, or the ones with the most potential to be interesting, for several of the games. And Sonic 3 didn't get a level of its own, which is stupid.

Or Sonic CD...it should have gotten some love in the game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The whole Metal Sonic fight?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

While awesome, I was hoping to get a full level from Sonic CD.

I mean, we fought Perfect Chaos, but still got Speed Highway in the game. (I hadn't spoiled myself on the levels so I was able to get surprised by what they included from each game.)

The 06 and Heroes love should have been left out, as both of those games were terribad.

How is Generations on the 3DS? I'm thinking about grabbing it for more classic love.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The lava level is sonic 06 though right?

It was a pretty damn good level in generations.

Crisis City in Generations differs from the '06 version in that it is actually playable

• LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I still don't understand people considering Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles to be separate games. It's incredibly obvious that they were meant to be on one cartridge to begin with. I even consider S&K to be the best piece of DLC I've ever bought. :p

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They're still separate whenever convenient to Sega. IE; selling them on XBLA or Steam.

Oh brilliant
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

While awesome, I was hoping to get a full level from Sonic CD.

I mean, we fought Perfect Chaos, but still got Speed Highway in the game. (I hadn't spoiled myself on the levels so I was able to get surprised by what they included from each game.)

The 06 and Heroes love should have been left out, as both of those games were terribad.

How is Generations on the 3DS? I'm thinking about grabbing it for more classic love.

I'm guessing the choices made on Generations for the levels were to make each "era" more or less balanced. Still, I'm bummed that we didn't get Hydrocity Zone in there. (Hydro City Zone? I'm never sure.) Easily the best "water" Sonic level ever.

From most accounts 3DS Generations is okay but not nearly as good as the console version.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm guessing the choices made on Generations for the levels were to make each "era" more or less balanced. Still, I'm bummed that we didn't get Hydrocity Zone in there. (Hydro City Zone? I'm never sure.) Easily the best "water" Sonic level ever.
    Didn't the Seaside Hill Zone have an underwater section that had... a lot in common with Hydrocity Zone?

steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Didn't the Seaside Hill Zone have an underwater section that had... a lot in common with Hydrocity Zone?

A little bit, though I miss the waterslides and moving water that would blast you through walls.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hill Top Zone for best escape from slow rising volcano.

Oh and I finally beat Sonic CD after owning it once before. Just let me get this straight. When playing the game I should travel to the past in each zone, destroy the electrical grid thingy and travel to the future twice to get a good future in that zone and ultimately get a good future during the boss fight right? And whats the point in killing the hologram of Metal Sonic in the past? AND if I collect all the time stones it won't matter if I go and destroy every electric fence because I will get the good ending when I beat the game correct?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Oh and I finally beat Sonic CD after owning it once before. Just let me get this straight. When playing the game I should travel to the past in each zone, destroy the electrical grid thingy and travel to the future twice to get a good future in that zone and ultimately get a good future during the boss fight right? And whats the point in killing the hologram of Metal Sonic in the past? AND if I collect all the time stones it won't matter if I go and destroy every electric fence because I will get the good ending when I beat the game correct?

You don't have to travel to the future to get the Good Future, simply going back into the Past and destroying the mechanical thing and, if you want, the Metal Sonic projectors will provide you with a Good Future for the boss, but you have to do it in both zones. I think you can still get a good ending even if you don't find the Metal Sonic projectors, but I'm not sure.

And yes, getting all the time stones will automatically get you all good futures from that point on and a good ending.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

From most accounts 3DS Generations is okay but not nearly as good as the console version.

It was definitely rushed. If you can find it for cheap, I'd say pick it up. It's fun but pretty short and easy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

It was definitely rushed. If you can find it for cheap, I'd say pick it up. It's fun but pretty short and easy.

Waiting for the $19.99 price point, personally.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    They're still separate whenever convenient to Sega. IE; selling them on XBLA or Steam.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is actually the only version of Sonic 3 available on Steam. You do have to buy them separately on Wii, though.

around the 2:10 mark in that vid i turned it off

thats all i needed to see, if the physics is that abysmal that you can fail such a simple thing as jumping right