As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I will update this beast in another two weeks (August 3) [update 20/7]

13»

• Options
    BananaChipsBananaChips Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks Night Dragon, I'm definitely doing this for myself, no question. Sometimes I listen to a song and I have just this crazy urge that makes me wish I were in a band and good at an instrument. It's the same thing with art except more so. I see these awesome paintings and drawings and they are just so impressive and overwhelming and it gives me even more of an urge. The thread is something to keep me going, and when I started doing the weekly posting thing it just sort of became harder to find time to draw. No way I'm stopping this for at least two or three years though. Eventually I'll work on big projects that take more than a day though.

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks Night Dragon, I'm definitely doing this for myself, no question. Sometimes I listen to a song and I have just this crazy urge that makes me wish I were in a band and good at an instrument. It's the same thing with art except more so. I see these awesome paintings and drawings and they are just so impressive and overwhelming and it gives me even more of an urge. The thread is something to keep me going, and when I started doing the weekly posting thing it just sort of became harder to find time to draw. No way I'm stopping this for at least two or three years though. Eventually I'll work on big projects that take more than a day though.

Coolio. I'm the same way when I listen to music, see some art, etc.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I had this awesome reply that was going to be really motivational, but I somehow refreshed the page and lost it all. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.
    Seriously.

Edit: Wow, I just realized the irony in not being motivated enough to rewrite my motivational reply. Ho ho ho.

anable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    anable wrote: »
    Well, I had this awesome reply that was going to be really motivational, but I somehow refreshed the page and lost it all. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.
    Seriously.

And after all your hassling me for updates D:

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    54ak579.gif

That was done without any perspective set up (probably shows, especially with the window.) It's of my bed in my room.

4vmv8uu.gif

I did some more of the 8 head proportion guide on printer paper later on which I didn't bother to scan in or save. The tip of the index finger is missing because as I started drawing it was hidden from view but later on my hand shifted a bit and it was visible.

4pdromt.gif

I'm having a ton of trouble being clean and neat as opposed to awfully messy. I just cant for the life of me make my art neat D: I'm thinking about picking up some art supplies, are there any specific things I should be getting? For instance pens, pencil hardnesses, erasers, kinds of paper, etc. I'm also going to draw more things every day as opposed to one or two large images, I've been getting really jealous looking at the quality from some of the other daily drawing threads :D

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just make sure you pick up some drawing pencils. Thats all you need really. I usually just draw in the outlines and whatnot with a normal pencil then go back and render everything with a drawing pencil, usually a 3 or 4 hardness I think.

You've already improved a lot. I also have a daily drawing thread, so I know that sometimes its hard to keep up. Just try not to miss any days and if you do make sure that you make up for it the next day. I can already see you've improved a lot, keep it up.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, its' Friday again already.

I picked up some pencils and a sketch pad for the first time in my life the other day. I hope you're happy with yourself.

anable on
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quit making me feel bad. I haven't draw anything in a long time as well. I need to stop working 60-70 hours and a week and sleeping like 8-9 hours a day. I feel like I work hard and then get home and be lazy, but still!

I demand updates!

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    4ktzers.gif

63sdfe0.gif

6hf3mtt.gif

Slept over the same friends house again and consequently missed that day D: Im going to gather a ton of pictures of faces and bodies from magazines and draw them all in a few days. Like, maybe 40 or 50 different pictures.

Where does one take figure drawing lessons/classes/sessions? I'm kind of bewildered. I can't find any information pertaining to my local area about it on the internet, where do I look for this kind of information?

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I sometimes see stuff about drawing lessons in the local paper. I'd start there. Sometimes nearby colleges have drawin classes for the public for a relatively cheap price, and usually run for a few weeks.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I sort of half assed some faces from national geographic magazine, and then the next day I drew a glass with ebony and charcoal. Ebony is impossible to make neat for me, and its darkest dark is like a gray, I also didn't want to have to pencil shade everything so halfway through I switched to charcoal.

The thing at the top right is a speaker
    66c598o.gif

4v7dbwm.gif

I still have one to do tonight.

EDIT:

Self Portrait

626mfic.gif

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Draw what you see. Draw what you see. Draw what you see.

I've noticed something: All of your still lifes of curtains, bedrooms, doors etc. generally look way better than your drawings of people. You know why? A human face is something you see every day. You KNOW what a face looks like. Your brain has a preconceived image of what it is supposed to look like. When you draw a face on paper, you try to draw what it's supposed to look like, rather than what it DOES look like.
    You have to disassociate the image of something, with what it flat out looks like. A face is just curves, lines, and polygons. But don't even think of that. Look at that person's nose. Draw the slope exactly as it appears. It's not a nose, it's a slope. Now, follow that line some more, and it creates a box at the end of the slope. That nostril? Just some more lines, and another squashed box. Soon enough, you start looking at the things you draw as planes and shapes, shades and lines.
    Here is an example from your work a couple weeks ago:

Reference
    brucewillissmallvg1.jpg
    Look at his ear. In your picture it is pointing towards his eye for some reason, and in the reference his ear is pointing away from his body. You know why? You tried to draw an ear. You didn't try to draw what the reference looked like.

When you're drawing random folds of a curtain on a door, it looks great. Why? Because you're not trying to superimpose your own image of a face, or something familiar to you. It's just random wrinkles. You draw those random wrinkles as they appear.

This is a hard thing to do consciously. For your next drawing, try to just draw what you see: contours, lines, value; not Bruce Willis or a tape dispenser. The book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain follows this philosophy, and it's a good on to subscribe to.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I can see what you're saying and believe it or not it does help. When I started out trying to draw (before this thread) I remember thinking that all that learn to see stuff was BS and that there must be some direct, quicker way to drawing. But now I'm beginning to see things for what they really are, and I get that your brain at first tries to draw symbols of things you know and not what you're looking at/thinking of. When I see something now I notice the highlights and tones and curves. Cool?

What do you guys use to study anatomy? Books from the library? I find it really hard to read pdf books and use references off the computer screen, it just isn't comfortable.

5xh7amf.gif

Bad drawing in the middle, surrounded by Loomis magic ball heads.

625aell.gif

I won't lie, I DID trace the outline of this from a magazine, imagine the figure as a silhouette and trace the edge, thats what I traced. It taught me a bit about tone, highlighting and anatomy though.
    6bvwtg3.gif
    The scan is really lacking, for instance on our left the arm appears to have almost no tone, I have no idea why the scanner does that.

I'm going to update in two weeks with fourteen or more drawings, so until then!

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you have not read it yet, I suggest Drawing on the Right side of the Brain By Betty Edwards. It's an amazing book.

Projeck on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a PDF of figure drawing for all its worth that I just went to staples and printed out, then got it holepunched and put it into a binder. Cost me maybe ten or fifteen dollars.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My pictures dont seem to be loading, I had a ton to upload at once so I used a different website, and I just realized I fucked up the links D: I'm going to fix it tomorrow, it's 2:30 in the morning and I think uploading all these pictures now will kill me. Does anyone know a good image hosting site that allows you to upload multiple files at a time?

Two weeks has passed! A little more actually. I am most definitely not dead, nor dying.

My number one problem: I always draw after midnight. I leave it for the very last thing I do. This needs to be fixed.

These are in no particular chronological order:

self portrait (not very good) - done for betty edwards
    4q3g1aq.gif

a hand - done for betty edwards (I just wasn't feelin it when I drew this up
    july26badhanddrawinghh7.gif

a can of club soda upside down
    bc55a9717637

bottle of cologne
    102b0f717638

betty edwards upside down drawing, when i got to the top I noticed I had done the drawing very very wide (noticeable on the mans right shoulder\horses neck
    95f240717639

doodles
    f25f47717641

referenced from a national geographic - not very good again : P
    35a0ef717642

person from memory (my dad) ... RUN AWAY
    5751f0717643

picasso copy ref'd upside down for betty edwards
    421c35717644

a hand and some doodles
    b403d3717646

a hand
    1a9d1f717648

doodles
    32b3f7717649

one last hand!
    df0f94717650

I did miss a few days (I think it was two days, possibly three.) There is no reason I could give that wouldn't be an excuse because if I had absolutely needed to, any day I could have drawn. I want to try to draw for longer periods of time, study some actual useful stuff, and stop drawing at one in the morning. I'll update again in two weeks. Next year I feel will really be amazing in terms of improvement.

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png