As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jet Set Radio] is back. I think just peed myself.

Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    shit

yesssssssss

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    It's not really "back", in my opinion. "Back" refers to a sequel...

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...new game? Port? I wonder.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...new game? Port? I wonder.

HD port of the dreamcast original

aHkbm.jpg

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    port! i hope they do JSR and JSRF, but if they can just do one make it the first one!
    and please god keep the music in

• Options
    Since they're saying "The next Dreamcast game on XBLA and PSN" and since the skull is the same as the one in JGR/JSR, I think it's sadly a port. But here's hoping for updated graphics, controls, and extra content.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    A lot of the excitement is lost on me since I bought another Dreamcast and a VGA box last year, but I really hope this leads to an HD rerelease of JSRF. I realize how unlikely that is since it's backwards compatible on the 360, though.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    If it is a port then awesome. If it is a remastered HD port then double awesome. If it is a new game then OMGWTFBBQ TRIPLE AWESOME!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man... I got so excited..

I was all

NEW JSR??!?!?! NO WAI! DO WANT!

And this is what I get?

My erection is now really confused. All semi.... not knowing which way is up... thanks a lot.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Nice.

Finding those emblems was a pain. I hope they can bring all the music back.

"Sheeeeeeeeee's a magical girl."

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    port! i hope they do JSR and JSRF, but if they can just do one make it the first one!

Unlike the issues with crazy taxi and Sonic CD, sega owns the soundtrack to both JSR and JSRF. That, of course, excludes the region specific songs (each region got 2-3 exclusive songs, like Dragula or the songs from Jurassic 5).

• Options

Unlike the issues with crazy taxi and Sonic CD, sega owns the soundtrack to both JSR and JSRF. That, of course, excludes the region specific songs (each region got 2-3 exclusive songs, like Dragula or the songs from Jurassic 5).

Is that why they dropped Dunny Boy Williamson Show from the US release? That was one of my favorite songs in the game, too.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Since they're saying "The next Dreamcast game on XBLA and PSN" and since the skull is the same as the one in JGR/JSR, I think it's sadly a port. But here's hoping for updated graphics, controls, and extra content.

The way I took it was the next dreamcast game, that obviously can't come out on dreamcast, coming to XBLA and PSN. Meaning a new dreamcast game coming to a different system.

Also the logo, like you said, is the same for the first and the second jet set. So why wouldn't they use the same logo for a third?

Maybe I'm just Mr. Optimistic here, but it looks like it all points to sequel to me.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    AaronKI wrote: »

Is that why they dropped Dunny Boy Williamson Show from the US release? That was one of my favorite songs in the game, too.

Yup, Sega gave each version a few exclusive songs

That said, considering how awesome Sega's digital ports have been lately (Sonic CD, Virtua Fighter 5, Daytona USA, etc) I wouldn't doubt they go the extra mile and license ALL the songs, and probably release them world-wide too.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    tumblr_lzrt0aQ20F1qksfla.gif

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'll get it if it has the DLC.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    this is the game I miss most from selling off my dreamcast collection, so bought

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Being the resident JSR super-fan, I felt like I should make a thread, but lacked the motivation to do more than throw up a link. What I'm getting at is OP needs to kick it up a notch. This is the JSR thread G&T needs, but not the one it deserves.

All I really want from this port is widescreen. Have the other DC ports been in WS?

• Options
    Wishful thinking from twitter
    @kenby Yo @SEGA, I'm around whenever you want that new Jet Set Radio game developed... http://www.unseen64.net/2009/02/18/jet-set-radio-wii-concept/ (that's my art)

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Being the resident JSR super-fan, I felt like I should make a thread, but lacked the motivation to do more than throw up a link. What I'm getting at is OP needs to kick it up a notch. This is the JSR thread G&T needs, but not the one it deserves

when I get home, I'm gonna PM you some stuff. feel free to make a thread out of it.

• Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    At first, when I saw this I was like :winky: but then I remembered those awful DC ports of crazy taxi and sonic and was like :(

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Dirty wrote: »
    Being the resident JSR super-fan, I felt like I should make a thread, but lacked the motivation to do more than throw up a link. What I'm getting at is OP needs to kick it up a notch. This is the JSR thread G&T needs, but not the one it deserves.

I'm just not done peeing myself yet.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Let's do this already!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    'Bout the town is a Sega song, right? I loved that one so much!

• Options
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    At first, when I saw this I was like :winky: but then I remembered those awful DC ports of crazy taxi and sonic and was like :(

You're remembering ports from 2010, but ignoring everything that has come out since. If there's one dev you shouldn't call lazy when it comes to DD ports, it's Sega. Look at the stuff they're adding into the DD port of Virtua Fighter 5. The training mode from VF4e alone would make that a phenomenal port, and yet they're still adding more stuff. Then you have stuff like Daytona USA, Sonic CD, Guardian Heroes, the upcoming House of the Dead ports, etc. Sega is awesome lately when it comes to ports.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular

You're remembering ports from 2010, but ignoring everything that has come out since. If there's one dev you shouldn't call lazy when it comes to DD ports, it's Sega. Look at the stuff they're adding into the DD port of Virtua Fighter 5. The training mode from VF4e alone would make that a phenomenal port, and yet they're still adding more stuff. Then you have stuff like Daytona USA, Sonic CD, Guardian Heroes, the upcoming House of the Dead ports, etc. Sega is awesome lately when it comes to ports.

Nah, I'm not sure ignoring is the right word. Although, I admit out of the ports you mentioned, the only one I have played is Sonic CD and I thought someone else did that port, not Sega?

• Options

Nah, I'm not sure ignoring is the right word. Although, I admit out of the ports you mentioned, the only one I have played is Sonic CD and I thought someone else did that port, not Sega?

Sega hired Christian Whitehead, "the Taxman" to do the port.

Sega also hired M2 to do the guardian heroes port.

And sega hired ElSemi, author of Nebula (the model 2 emulator) to do the Daytona USA port.

Sega brought in AM2 to personally do the Virtua Fighter 5 port.

AM1 is handling the HotD 3 & 4 ports.

where as, in the past, stuff like Sonic 1-knuckles, streets of rage, Sonic adventure, Crazy Taxi, etc. had been handled by backbone or similar companies. The point is that Sega has clearly been much more selective with who handles their ports, and the results are much better now. I don't know who is handling the JSR port, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was either drk||Raziel or some other verteran Dreamcast emulation author.

This rise in quality of their digital output shouldn't be too surprising if you follow the company, however. In 2010, sega restructured internally, and the entire American branch of sega became their digital release division. They're one of the only companies (and pretty much the only japanese company) which has an entire branch dedicated to handling DD. Sega of America is free to operate without interference from much of the rest of the company, and make decisions on how to release digitial content without having to go through too many proper channels. Sega of America also has a dedicated community manager office, which is essentially a team of about 30-40 people who hang around forums all day, interacting with the general public. This office was formed following Sonic Unleashed in response to the low review scores that game received. Sega of Japan initially hired a research firm to report back the criticisms people had with that specific game. What that research firm did was hang around on forums for about 6 months, monitoring feedback, and reported directly to Sega of Japan. SoJ felt the feedback was so beneficial that they created an entire office permanently dedicated to doing this job. Probably the biggest testiment to the success of this office is Sonic CD - that game was greenlit, and Taxman was hired, essentially in direct response to an overwelming outpouring of support online on forums like this very one. You can also attribute the above-average releases of stuff like Daytona USA and VF5 to this office, as well as the move away from developers like backbone and towards developers like ElSemi and M2. In short, Sega has been listening, and I'm glad it's been paying off. In fact, a few months ago (during Sonic Generation's release), Wentos, the member of Sonic team who was responsible for a bunch of high profile leaks on 4chan several years ago prior to Sonic Unleashed, contacted me to express the team's gratitude to me for "all I've done to reverse the stigma around the series" and that they're aware of what I, and other fans like me, say online. It was a great moment for me, if not only because it showed that what I and other fans say really do reach all the way up to the developers at Sega.

I would expect this to be another above average port, as Sega has had a string of them lately, and my expectations are rising. Should this wind up being nothing more than a rom bundled with an emulator without, say, 16:9 support, I'll be very disappointed.

Not to get too off subject here, but I think Sega's been going through a wonderful Renaissance here lately that's been surprisingly underreported. Their quality in developing has sharply risen, and as a publisher they're excellent (especially when you consider the exclusive EA and Atlus publishing deals they've inked for japan). I think, ultimately, Sega's success will forever be tied to Sonic, thus when Sonic is down, Sega is down, and conversely, when Sonic is up, Sega is up. i think Sonic has, in general, been on a big upswing lately, and hopefully that leads to a reversal in public opinion. At the bare minimum, they've been trying. How many of you guys, for example, paid attention to XBLA/PSN rom releases like Ecco the Dolphin? How many of you, by contrast, are paying attention to releases like Daytona USA and Jet Set Radio?

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    This game is going to be announced a DLC only for ME3. 14.99.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Does that mean people should keep clamoring for Sonic 1+2+3&K getting the Sonic CD treatment? :P

Hey, Sega. Clockwork Knight Collection on PSN/XBLA. Please?

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Also worth noting that Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi weren't actually dreamcast ports - they were 1:1 re-releases of the farmed-out PC versions of each game (Sonic Adventure DX and Crazy taxi high-roller respectively). That should inspire hope that this port will be of a decidedly different quality.

• Options
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Does that mean people should keep clamoring for Sonic 1+2+3&K getting the Sonic CD treatment? :P

Hey, Sega. Clockwork Knight Collection on PSN/XBLA. Please?

You're thinking too small. More like:

Hey Sega, fan translations for Shining Force III scenarios 2 and 3 exist online. And you bought girigiri, the sega saturn emulator like almost a decade ago and have done nothing with it. Hint hint.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i hope that they get Cibo Matto to re-record Birthday Cake specifically for this port

• Options
    dwareydwarey Nutley, NJRegistered User regular
    God, this is seriously one of my favorite games ever and one of my biggest regrets about getting rid of my Dreamcast (the other was Skies of Arcadia, but at least I have that for Gamecube). I just hope they can retain as much of the music as possible -- I don't see it holding up quite the same without it.

• Options
    dwarey wrote: »
    God, this is seriously one of my favorite games ever and one of my biggest regrets about getting rid of my Dreamcast (the other was Skies of Arcadia, but at least I have that for Gamecube). I just hope they can retain as much of the music as possible -- I don't see it holding up quite the same without it.

Well, Sega licensed the Daytona brand specifcially to be able to provided the iconic theme music for Daytona USA (the game itself was re-released in arcades minus the Daytona brand a few months prior), and worked to license the US Sonic CD soundtrack after people complained that it was going to be absent from the Sonic CD remake. Considering literally every topic I've seen on JSR across every board I've gone to has had people talking about the music, and considering what I talked about earlier about how Sega pays attentions to conversations like this, they'd have to be crazy to not include the music.

Like I said, I've come to expect well above the average output from Sega's DD. I'm kinda thinking they might go the extra mile and license the music from ALL regions, and make them available to all regions as well. sort of like a definitive soundtrack. I have no proof of this other than optimism, however.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Weren't there some differences (storywise) between JGR and JSR on the DC?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    i hope that they get Cibo Matto to re-record Birthday Cake specifically for this port

YOU KNOW MY LOVE IS SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

i can't find anything that says that, only reason it was renamed was due to copyright issues when bringing the game to america.
    here's something cool though, hope this is the version that gets ported over:
    After the public reported several bugs in the original Japanese version of Jet Set Radio, Sega decided to re-release it under the name of De La Jet Set Radio ("Deluxe" Jet Set Radio). This version was only sold in Japan via Dreamcast Direct (later renamed Sega Direct) making it one of the more rare Dreamcast titles available. The gameplay in this version was easier to pick up and included the added music from the PAL and North American versions, including the two levels only included in these two versions. The text featured in the game is localized in the main language of your Dreamcast, unlike the original Japanese version, which means that if your Dreamcast system is set to English language, the text in the game will be in English. The same goes for Japanese, German, French and Spanish. However, the voices remain Japanese.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

I guess Sega was too worried that the game was too Japanese, so they picked the 2 most american looking members of the bunch and changed the story so they were in fact from the US, and came to Tokyo-to to get help from the GGs to defeat the Golden Rhinos (who in this version, had operatives in the West as well). They tossed in a couple of extra levels that took place in New York Grind City, and added White Zombie to the soundtrack.

All in all, I felt like Grind City was a low point of the game. They also replaced Prof. K's epilogue with one delivered by Cube's (less talented) voice actor so they could include a reference to the American side-story.

I've played these games a lot.