As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Isn't law a terrible place to be in right now?

Wombat seems to hate it at least.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I honestly don't know how it is in Australia, I'm sure it's a pretty cutthroat job market even so, and my girlfriend is the absolute non cutthroatiest person I've ever met. It's definitely not for her. She quite likes accounting, has been a much brighter person since she switched degrees and we've been told that's a very employable qualification to have.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yeah Law isn't a "safe" option by any real margin.

Accounting though? A bit better.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

Evil_Reaver doesn't believe that law school is a bad place right now.

He believes it is a bad place full stop.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I have never been to law school but it sounds absolutely dire.

And the reward you get at the end is you become a terrible person.

broken image link
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    woo got a student job so I can stop being a lazy bum

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote:
    I love my dad and am so glad he's so fucking supportive of what I want to do in regards to college

like jeez, my friend's parents are kinda being dicks about their stuff right now...

Yeah count me in as one of those lucky ones with super supportive parents. I think my parents are mainly just proud that I'm even at University and earning qualifications since I'm a highschool dropout due to a disability. They've strongly supported me through 4 years of killing myself to get good enough grades to allow me to apply for the honours program in my degree course (psychology). I didn't get in, and they were just as heartbroken as I was, and while I was depressed about it, trying to get over it and move on by looking up different health field postgraduate courses to study, my dad was talking to folks at the Uni about why I didn't get in (Not "WHY WON'T YOU LET MY SON IN!" Just, inquire about what the standard of applicants were, and what the grade cutoff might have been).

Yesterday, when I was told I was to receive a late offer for honours, they were as happy as I was and have really been pushing me to take this path as far as I possibly can to get the most out of it, instead of trying to dissuade me away from it, and into something else, that they know I would hate. When I thought I had lost out, and I had given up on my dream, they refused to accept it and were looking for other things I could be doing to get in.

Meanwhile, my girlfriends parents are like 'lol psychology get a real degree' and were trying to push my girlfriend into doing law because her dad believes that if you want get a good job, it can't be something you enjoy. Because if a girl does something she is interested in, it must be super girly and work that is interesting to girls pay like shit - my girlfriend switched to accounting, which she likes much more than law (law just isn't for her), and her dad is still trying to find law internships for her because apparently accounting is no good.

Long story short, I wouldn't have gotten this far without my parents.

Yeah my friend's parents originally were saying he could choose between NCU and UT Austin, and he's chosen UT Austin, but now his dad is saying he really really really wants him to go to NCU, which is bothering my friend. And then my other friend who would be doing the coordinated admission program with me, his dad doesn't really want him to do the transfer thing for some reason even though my friend really wants to go to UT Austin like myself.

I'm just really happy my dad just supports me with what I want to do and doesn't really try to dissuade me from it.

• Options
    As Head TA, I usually don't get students complaining about the course (the instructor does), but occasionally someone, presumably thinking they may get more traction with me, shoots their e-mail to me.

Right now, we have what is called a dry lab. Using an online service, students are required to look at some spectra and answer questions about it on this service. The assignment looks as follows on the webpage.

1) Link to instructions
    2) Link to spectra
    3) Link to assignment

Now, it should be absolutely clear to everyone that you cannot answer these questions without the spectra. You would think that when the questions says "Look at the IR spectrum of Compound A" and a student finds himself lacking the spectrum, they would quickly realize they had missed something, go back to the main page, and find that they had missed the link to the spectra at first.

Not this student.

No, this student sends an incensed e-mail stating how the student tried to answer the questions without the spectra and lost so many points as a result and demanded something be done.

All I could do was laugh.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    that's pretty amazing

• Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    sounds like you got it made in the shade

come finish up my fourth spanish class for me

No, finish mine.

Seriously, I am so close to just stopping by the parking lot of Home Depot and hiring an undocumented immigrant to take Spanish 202 for me, that's how incredibly racist I am.

Just do what I did and throw yourself into a situation where you're forced to learn it. I was looking at 3 months in venezuela with only rudimentary spanish knowledge. By the end of the first month I had learned more than I had in all of high school and college spanish combined.

I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote:

Yeah, basically. I would probably feel differently about it if I were 24 and went into it right after finishing undergrad. Having the perspective of a previous career and being older than most of my peers by 5-6 years really ruined the experience for me, though. I just can't brush off the massive amounts of bullshit like my younger colleagues can.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    oh depression
    i wish i could get class credit for successfully getting out of bed every day

W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Kabitzy wrote: »
    oh depression

that is what my degree is in

bed getting out of

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    oh depression

Kabitzy, I have put too much effort helping you with organic chemistry (10 minutes) for you to give up now.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    spent like 3 1/2 hours crash-course learning Final Cut as I made this video for art, go me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT5mQlGZy3A&context=C3aacb8dADOEgsToPDskJ1V_IIqnDSpOD7u9A61gYC

The prompt was "dream sequence" and we were limited to a minute, feel like I did pretty decent.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh Final Cut....

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    that sure is art

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    they didn't have premiere :(

The Fine Arts are a joke, t r u e f a c t s

• Options
    Also I am totally not saying I put a load of effort in to this shit, shot in like 30 minutes, not including the time it took to walk between locations, a large portion of editing was "what the fuck am I doing."

But I've seen previous works for this assignment and know for a fact that I have an A in the bag.

• Options
    oh, yeah, def

i got back my first english paper i've written in a year since high school, got an A-

it was honestly a bad paper so woo

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Woo! Got my acceptance letter for the school that I knew was impossible to not get into. Still happy about it since it means my most likely transfer scenario is pretty much set in stone. If by some miracle I get into some of the other places I've applied to I'll have to give it some real thought, but its nice to know I've got a plan of some sort.

This story is killing me. Thought I had the weekend to work on it, but I forgot I needed to hand out copies for critique tomorrow. That means staying up late and getting up early to make the copies, but oh well. The other option is to bring it in Tuesday, but I always hate it when the other people in the class don't give us a copy to read over before tearing it apart in person, so I'd rather not be one of those people. My view on that might change after some healthy sleep deprivation. I'm actually really invested in this story, so I don't want to have people marking up a draft I know I'm not happy with.

I think this might be the kind of kick in the ass I need to start taking this creative writing thing more seriously. Even if I still sort of think that using both of those terms in one sentence is an oxymoron.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    Projeck wrote:
    so, i've been accepted by KCAI and SAIC now

KCAI is already throwing 18k at me, and i'm in the running for a full ride

still waiting to hear back from Yale and MICA

Congrats! That is fantastic Proj :)

hey, thanks! i'm happy.
    Skull Man wrote:
    yale?

yale.
    Projeck wrote:
    so, i've been accepted by KCAI and SAIC now

KCAI is already throwing 18k at me, and i'm in the running for a full ride

still waiting to hear back from Yale and MICA

you have no idea how proud of you i am.

meanwhile!

i don't think i've ever been as happy as i am lately.

i finally got my life straight and now it seems like everything is finally turning to gold

dude! that is amazing. i am proud of you too, bud.

• Options
    Baidol wrote:
    oh depression

Kabitzy, I have put too much effort helping you with organic chemistry (10 minutes) for you to give up now.

i certainly owe you a life debt for all your help with o chem. also, if you don't mind my asking, did you get a NSF fellowship?

• Options
    Baidol wrote:
    oh depression

i certainly owe you a life debt for all your help with o chem. also, if you don't mind my asking, did you get a NSF fellowship?

First attempt (college senior year): Hilarious trainwreck, no fellowship
    Second attempt (first year grad): Much better, get an Honorable Mention, but not the fellowship
    Third attempt (second year grad): Strongest application, but, based on the feedback received, not convinced one of my readers carefully read my application, no fellowship. Reader wished I had continued doing outreach in grad school, which I have, and I wrote in the essays.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Baidol wrote: »
    Baidol wrote:
    oh depression

Second attempt (first year grad): Much better, get an Honorable Mention, but not the fellowship
    Third attempt (second year grad): Strongest application, but, based on the feedback received, not convinced one of my readers carefully read my application, no fellowship. Reader wished I had continued doing outreach in grad school, which I have, and I wrote in the essays.

Ugh, that's rough. I appreciate my research prof having confidence in me but I feel like I'm just going to end up disappointing her when I (99.9% chance) don't get it.

Kabitzy on
  • Options
    Baidol wrote:
    oh depression

Ugh, that's rough. I appreciate my research prof having confidence in me but I feel like I'm just going to end up disappointing her when I (99.9% chance) don't get it.

There is absolutely no reason to not try. The application is free and you will get feedback for how to improve the next time you try.

Worst case scenario, your ego takes a hit.

Best case scenario, you have your pick of research group because no one will need to pay for you.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

he is correct

do not go to law school

any of you

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    law school is great

i love law school

don't go to law school

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Just let me take the florida bar already

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Just let me take the florida bar already

when is that

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Law school is immensely boring after you work anywhere and a crock of shit

Working as an attorney is pretty fantastic

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You guys know whats dumb.

I'm trying to do a C++ assignment using switch statements and for some reason which makes zero sense at all my variables are getting set to insanely high numbers for absolutely no reason. Or well there is a reason I just can't find it. Hmmm

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

he is correct

do not go to law school

any of you

Don't worry, I didn't.

I went to journalism school.

So now I know how to strip all of the style out of my writing so it can strictly adhere to an inverted pyramid.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

he is correct

do not go to law school

any of you

Don't worry, I didn't.

I went to journalism school.

So now I know how to strip all of the style out of my writing so it can strictly adhere to an inverted pyramid.
    I wrote a letter and someone told me about this inverted pyramid thing and I wanted to fucking slap the shit out of them. What the fucking fuck is that shit and why the fuck would I ruin the style of my letter to do that?

• Options
    i sure hate when my school's everything goes down at 2 in the morning when i need it to write a paper

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I really just don't care about my grades that much this semester. I'll still work hard in the classes to do well on the AP Exams, but at this point the grades aren't going to do anything for me so I'm practically just like; whatever.

• Options
    And I'll clarify, by not caring about grades I mean not stressing about the grades being a little lower than last semester or some other bullshit.

Still destroying my macroeconomics class though!

• Options
    God Damn this anthropology class is the most boring shit

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Gonna have to drop this Comparative Animal Physiology class because what the fuck it is all human physiology and the professor is catering to Pre-med students when the class was not advertised as such, I'm a god damn marine science student like half of the class you stuck-up boring-ass failed fuck! And for the love of god and the mercy of any poor bastard sticking to that class please, please indicate in some small way which parts of your hyper-dense slide shows are of any real importance and which are self-aggrandizing wanks to your personal research.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.