As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me about powerline networking

Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have been fucking around with wireless in this house for a considerable amount of time and I'm tired of it; I think I'ma take the plunge on this powerline thing, but I don't really know anything about it. There seems to be a variety of hardware that varies in price and some concern over the wiring in different houses (some of the wiring in the house is fairly old.)

Is there anything I should look out for, or should I pretty much just buy the cheapest couple of adapters and see how they work?

NREqxl5.jpg
it was the smallest on the list but
Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
Eat it You Nasty Pig. on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I bought a D-link kit for $100 and it works great. My house is only 12 years old, though. I do know that sometimes they don't work based on how your house is wired. It's pretty straight forward to set up, though, so I suggest grabbing a kit, checking it out, and if it doesn't work just return it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    From what I've read, at a minimum you want something that is compatible with HomePlug AV (with a minimum claimed speed of "200 Mbps"). These have newer chipsets in them that supposedly do a better job of compensating for the noise on wiring. Older stuff may not work as well on older wiring.

I'd buy the good stuff from a place with a decent return policy and try it out. A 2-room starter kit should be less than $100, and the addons for each room after that are $40-$50 each. Cheaper than hiring someone to run Cat5e :P

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I've used them with no problem in a house with 30+ year old wiring, the only thing I found with my set of these was that I had to find an actual wall socket (rather than an extension cord), and they're also quite bulky which can be problematic for plugging other things in nearby.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also, if I recall, you have to be on the same circuit.

Wireless was such less of a pain in the butt to deal with. If you're considering powerline ethernet, and you own the house, you'd be better off cutting hole in the drywall and putting in a plate and running ethernet through the wall.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    I've got a D-Link Powerline Ethernet kit installed in a client's home to connect a Media server in the basement to their router on the main floor. It took about 40 minutes to setup after reading the manuals and configuring the devices, but after the setup was complete, it was up and running just fine. I installed this kit just over three years ago, and I've never heard from the client that the connection has failed.

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Also, if I recall, you have to be on the same circuit.

Wireless was such less of a pain in the butt to deal with. If you're considering powerline ethernet, and you own the house, you'd be better off cutting hole in the drywall and putting in a plate and running ethernet through the wall.

Unless you've got a very old home with un-insullated, plaster walls, it's not that easy to run cable between floors. You're looking at several holes in the walls, drilling through studs, floor plates, etc. It's really not all that easy or cheap.

$100 for an ethernet-over-power kit is far, far easier and far, far more convenient.

When we bought our current home, I considered running cable. I had my Xbox in the living room on the main floor and my computer/router/modem on the top floor in the office. I thought it would be easy to just run cable down, instead of buying a wireless adapter for my Xbox. Then, I thought about it. The Xbox wasn't staying in that spot forever. And if/when we had kids, neither would the office. What would I do then? Run cable to the fully finished basement? Into another bedroom? More holes. More drilling. More re-drywalling. More money and time.

Instead, I spent $100 on the D-Link kit and maybe 10 minutes "setting it up." Really, there is no set-up involved. You plug one unit directly into an outlet beside your router and run a cable from that to your router. You plug the second unit directly into an outlet beside your computer/xbox/whatever-you-want-Internet-to and run a similar cable. Done. That's it, usually.

And if you ever need to re-arrange things? Easily done.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've actually never run across any interior wall with insulation, so that's why.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    I use powerline and it's awesome. I just bought a pair of top of the line belkin ones (I forget the specs) for my media stuff and it works like a charm. i think it was like 100-150.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I've actually never run across any interior wall with insulation, so that's why.

I guess that's true, if you're only dealing with interior walls. Even still, you've got to drill through the floor plate as well.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    unfortunately I don't own the house

I think our landlord might be cool with me running wire, but I don't really want to do that since I'd have to go through not only walls but ceilings. I also don't have any idea of how the wiring is actually laid out and I don't really want to be responsible if I fuck up somewhere.

I should know the answer to this but I'ma ask anyway in case it's not obvious: as long as all the outlets I'm using run through the same breaker it should be fine, right?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yep.

• Options

I think our landlord might be cool with me running wire, but I don't really want to do that since I'd have to go through not only walls but ceilings. I also don't have any idea of how the wiring is actually laid out and I don't really want to be responsible if I fuck up somewhere.

I should know the answer to this but I'ma ask anyway in case it's not obvious: as long as all the outlets I'm using run through the same breaker it should be fine, right?

They don't even necessarily have to be on the same breaker. The outlets I'm using aren't.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

They don't even necessarily have to be on the same breaker. The outlets I'm using aren't.

They don't have to be, but you may get funky/unpredictable performance if they aren't.