As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On Burgs and Other Important Items of Nourishment

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks!

Gah, I knew I should have picked up some buttermilk today. I thought about it and everything then opted not to.
    I want to make thooooose

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Don't need to have buttermilk to have buttermilk, Sket.

Do this for that recipe:
    Pour whatever milk you have into a measuring cup and stop just short of the 1/2 cup mark. Then, take basic white vinegar and pour that in until you're at the 1/2 cup mark. Give it a little stir, let it sit for a minute or two and you've got buttermilk to cook with.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a good idea of what to do with chicken wings? Mostly thinking about rubs, but any suggestion is welcome.

Fuck off and die.
  • the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    Good shot, Janson!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So @Janson woke up from her nap today to tell me "I think allowing professional chefs in training to cook for us is a really good idea!"

When I asked what she meant, apparently she dreamt that we were on a cruise and @Stale and @Druhim were cooking for us.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Anyone have a good idea of what to do with chicken wings? Mostly thinking about rubs, but any suggestion is welcome.

Honey, soy, garlic and chili is usually a winning combination.

Will do, Blake. Thanks. Maybe some roast sesame seeds in there as well.

Fuck off and die.
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    I spent an entire week at the Outer Banks last summer and didn't eat a damn bit of BBQ.

I was rather displeased with myself when I returned home. Found a damn good burger place in Kitty Hawk though.

go on

Whatup my veggie friend. Kill Devil's, right on Croatan Highway. Awesome food all around.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I also liked smoked paprika on wings.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So @Janson woke up from her nap today to tell me "I think allowing professional chefs in training to cook for us is a really good idea!"

When I asked what she meant, apparently she dreamt that we were on a cruise and @Stale and @Druhim were cooking for us.

that's pretty hilarious and adorable

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

that's pretty hilarious and adorable

I thought so too!

I also liked smoked paprika on wings.

A classic, but I'd need better paprika then I have available.

Fuck off and die.
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Don't need to have buttermilk to have buttermilk, Sket.

Do this for that recipe:
    Pour whatever milk you have into a measuring cup and stop just short of the 1/2 cup mark. Then, take basic white vinegar and pour that in until you're at the 1/2 cup mark. Give it a little stir, let it sit for a minute or two and you've got buttermilk to cook with.

Perhaps I will be making donuts soon then! :D

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Druhim wrote:
    Blake just fell out of contention. Better luck next time!

But still thanks, cause somehow doing that to a chicken wing had slipped my mind.

Edit: Hot damn, it's getting warmer and I got a sack of coal just hanging around. Might as well light that mother fucker up and add some smoke to that flavour.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I made my first ever omelette that stayed in one piece just now. It was delicious even though I had nothing to add to it except for some cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Also I'd been falling into the trap of max heat = cooked faster. Once you realise that's the stupidest thing in the world then you can actually start cooking food.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    So starting to save chicken bones to make stock with. I got a lot of the flesh removed during eating, but there's some stray stuff on the ends (thigh bones). Does that stuff have to get removed before I start the stock, or can it remain?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    They have more flavour than bones!

Leave that shit on. You're going to strain your stock anyway.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I leave massive amounts of skin and stuff on when I make chicken stock, and because I'm lazy there's probably some perfectly edible meat still on it too, gotta get all that flavour out, man.

If, for some reason you are poaching a whole chicken. (maybe haianesie chicken rice) you can totally save the left overs and use it as stock.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    there is very little that doesn't go into stock

very very little

easysig2.jpg
    also, @moriveth and @janson , that is so <3

easysig2.jpg
    Rocks.

Do not put rocks into stock.

(only soup)

Cool. I live solo so saving up bones like this may take some time.

I wonder if I can just outright buy some carcasses from the grocery store nearby. Their butcher sells all sorts of shit, necks even!

Do you ever roast a whole chicken? Cause then you have a delicious roast chicken and then you have a whole carcass left for making stock.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Chicken wings are good cause you can save the wing tips.

Druhim wrote:
    Do you ever roast a whole chicken? Cause then you have a delicious roast chicken and then you have a whole carcass left for making stock.

if not, most stores will sell rotissere chickens fairly cheap.

remove meat, freeze remains. Make delicious stock.

easysig2.jpg
    Hm, good idea. Is there an average ratio, like, X pound(s) of chicken material to Y gallon(s) of water?

Making soup after roasting a chicken is the best thing.

The hardest bit, in my opinion, is the skimming of fat. I never seem to get it all.

The second hardest bit is sieving a giant pot full of chicken and stuff without making a mess.

Fyndir wrote:

The hardest bit, in my opinion, is the skimming of fat. I never seem to get it all.

The second hardest bit is sieving a giant pot full of chicken and stuff without making a mess.

take a single layer of cheesecloth or any similar fabric and lay it in a colander.

that's what I do.

easysig2.jpg
    Hm, good idea. Is there an average ratio, like, X pound(s) of chicken material to Y gallon(s) of water?

not really. more water, less concentrated flavor. less water, more concentrated flavor.

If you're going to make stock, there isn't much reason to make less than a gallon.

easysig2.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    been flipping through this cookbook i got, good time saving stuff in there

also i want to try making scotch eggs mmm

poo
    I made my first ever omelette that stayed in one piece just now. It was delicious even though I had nothing to add to it except for some cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce.

:^:

http://steamykitchen.com/20773-steak-with-kimchi-butter.html

someone go make this and tell me about it

so that I may live vicariously

easysig2.jpg
    Stale wrote:

i will do this when i get a chance and buy some more kimchi

too bad i have no food processor and will need to mix by hand

oh wait

i can just go walk over to momofuku milk bar and buy kimchi butter

poo
    Stale wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:

take a single layer of cheesecloth or any similar fabric and lay it in a colander.

that's what I do.

Will have to pick something suitable up and give that a try, thanks.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:

i will do this when i get a chance and buy some more kimchi

too bad i have no food processor and will need to mix by hand

oh wait

i can just go walk over to momofuku milk bar and buy kimchi butter

Shaz in my head I'm punching you so much

yayy