As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I just find it rather hilarious how in every new MMO they act like they've never played one before.

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    It's not anger towards them, it's just aggravating to watch. Backseat gaming is a bitch.

And the main guy is bearable. It's Mr Squealer I can't stand.

...but what else is there out? I've seen TB's stuff, some of the squealer stuff. Anything else of interest?

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Curse had a bunch of videos, minus commentary. Most of them are bad players as well, though. So much skill clicking and keyboard turning... All of the PvP videos Curse has, showcases how to die. Often.

Quintessin on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I like that you at least get the possibility to take on things with a fairly significant level difference.

Most other MMOs would just have you get splattered by design.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    So with that out of the way, TotalBiscuit and Yogscast - why are these guys blessed enough to be the MMO guys to watch streams and videos from? Are there no good North American videocasts to watch? Why don't we have the equivalent of a North American Paul Barnett (whose accent is tolerable, by the way) doing reviews and videos of the new MMOs and instead get saddled with the mind-numbing Yogscast and so-British-it-hurts TotalBiscuit?

TB released some videos during the Wrath beta. That was his rise if I remember correctly. New zone info + British voice = novelty.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    From now on, all UK GW2 podcasts need to be voiced by none other than Stephen Merchant.

Search your souls, you know this to be true.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So with that out of the way, TotalBiscuit and Yogscast - why are these guys blessed enough to be the MMO guys to watch streams and videos from? Are there no good North American videocasts to watch? Why don't we have the equivalent of a North American Paul Barnett (whose accent is tolerable, by the way) doing reviews and videos of the new MMOs and instead get saddled with the mind-numbing Yogscast and so-British-it-hurts TotalBiscuit?

TB released some videos during the Wrath beta. That was his rise if I remember correctly. New zone info + British voice = novelty.

I'll just throw this one out there.
    Most of the American gaming videos I see gave a major flaw in that a very very very small number of those guys have a voice for anything other than silent movies. TB sounds like a major sports announcer in his commentary, and instills his videos with that same kind of energy and level of quality. Xephos, of yogcast, at least sounds somewhat decent, but if you've followed them its actually Honeydew, squeeling guy, who draws a lot of people. Probably because the lack of seriousness draws in the gaming fringe.

There are a few people I would listen to if they did reviews and commentary, but sadly the mouth breathers, quiet guys, napoleon-dynamite-sound-a-likes, and other poor examples I see most often don't make me hopeful for a really successful American review.

Playing ability doesn't draw people as much as entertainment quality.

• SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    Ok, I am a bit pissed about this. I work 13-16 hour days and the only two days I work this week, is both days for the signup. Crap, why can't a brother get a break. I have been dieing to play this game for a couple of years now. Hopefully, they activate a "invite a friend" or something to the Beta and someone in here has a kind enough heart to pick me. Or better yet, they release this in May.

Hoping for a release before May 16, because then me and my buddies are having a LAN. :P

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hoping for a release before May 16, because then me and my buddies are having a LAN. :P

I still don't see it coming out before June at the earliest, even with beta now happening. Just a conservative guess based on ArenaNet's rate of development and putting out updates thus far. Who knows.

488W936.png
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Syrionus wrote: »
    Ok, I am a bit pissed about this. I work 13-16 hour days and the only two days I work this week, is both days for the signup. Crap, why can't a brother get a break. I have been dieing to play this game for a couple of years now. Hopefully, they activate a "invite a friend" or something to the Beta and someone in here has a kind enough heart to pick me. Or better yet, they release this in May.

It only takes 5 minutes to sign up...

• RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Syrionus wrote: »

Why can't you sign up the during the 8-11 hours that you don't work these two days? You do three things. One, download the diagnostic tool that sends your computer specs. Two, enter your email. Three, wait for your confirmation email. I don't see the issue.

Rednaz on
    Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm streaming Icewind Dale II. Come watch me remember the nuances of 3rd edition D&D and continue to dream of a day I can stream GW2.

I'll also be on Entaru's vent if Entaru is around or whatever. Info for that is in the OP, and the password can be had from me or him.

Beta signups take all of 5-10 min. You give them basic info, put your guild as the PA What A Nice Guild, and do the diagnostic. Then submit and wait. The confirm e-mail shouldn't take long now that the hammering is mostly over on their end.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    How come not a single person ever who has touched GW2 knows how to play a thief?

Topia wrote: »
    How come not a single person ever who has touched GW2 knows how to play a thief?

I was under the impression Jon Peters was playing as one during the press beta and was doing quite well at it, probably because of his being a developer with intimate knowledge of the game and all.

488W936.png

I haven't been able to find a lot of footage, but thief is a pretty fancy class. It kind of epitomizes GW2's combat system due to its reliance on mobility, the fast weapon swapping, the no cool down on weapon skills. It's like top shelf shit. I'm not surprised people are having difficulty with it.

• TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

I was under the impression Jon Peters was playing as one during the press beta and was doing quite well at it, probably because of his being a developer with intimate knowledge of the game and all.

Until I see a video of it I do not believe.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

Yeah, aptly named 'Jon Peters Thief'.

• MeisterMeister Registered User regular

This is an old video, but this guy isn't horrible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRlFViMpewI

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So according to Regina, the GW2 beta will include tens of thousands of players, primarily due to the numbers necessary for testing WvW.

I wonder how many sign-ups they got.

The source for this is the announcement that ANet is going to do an AMA (a kind of question & answer session, for those unfamiliar with Reddit) on WvW topics tomorrow morning: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/q3glu/ama_on_guild_wars_2_world_vs_world_tomorrow_8am/

Also, a related blog post: http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-ferguson-takes-your-wvw-questions-here-and-on-reddit

wvw-header.jpg

Fairly big news on servers and changing servers:
    Some of our more astute fans asked about the complications involved with switching servers and how it would interact with world bonuses. Every account has a home server where your characters are created. You can only fight for your home world in WvW. You can visit other servers, and while you are visiting, you still get the world bonus from your home world instead of the bonus for the world you are visiting. If you switch your home server, you lose the bonus from your previous home world and are not eligible for the bonus for your new server at least until the beginning of the next battle for the Mists. We may extend this disqualification into the next match or possibly even longer to discourage people from switching servers right before a battle ends in order to get an awesome bonus. You will have to pay a fee to change your home server (price undetermined), and that will also discourage people from server hopping to chase world bonuses.

Given that we can "visit" other servers, there is some flexibility, but it seems if you want to fight in WvW with particular comrades, you will need to share a home server.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

I wonder how many sign-ups they got.

i'd say at least 1 Million

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    So at least you can visit any server whenever you want, huh, it's just permanently changing your server that requires a fee.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    in game gold or real life cash

edited February 2012
    Fairly certain they mean real cash. GW2 is operated on a cash shop model, so account services of this kind are probably going to cost a little.

If there were an option to use in-game gold, that would be rather cool, though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    I'm sure it will be real money.

Like, the only difference between visiting a server and playing with your friends and changing your server and playing with your friends is the WvW bonuses and which server you are fighting for in WvW. It's very niche.

edited February 2012
    The upside is that this really will solidify servers (in terms of WvW competition, anyway) which will be a good thing community-wise.

In fact, thinking about it, it is pretty much required. Otherwise there would be a giant clusterfuck of people hopping servers as the rankings shift.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Apparently you can freely change your PvE server as a vsitor at any time but the homeserver which you WvW for demands a price to be paid.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I am quite happy with this solution. I expect the majority of my friends will be able to play on whatever the PA home server is, so no big deal, and if I want to visit another server.. it's easy.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good solution.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i hope they have microtransaction character slots available right away
    i want at least eight!!

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, this would allow me to play on whatever server my bros are on if they didn't coordinate with me, all the while having a serious business HQ.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    I get the feeling that if I get into beta, I'm going to pick a class/race combo I don't intend to play at release...and then totally fall in love with it and play it at release...

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • LethinatorLethinator Registered User regular
    For those interested in min/maxing, (I'm not trying to state whether or not this will be viable) it seems both traits and runes will play a huge part in your build. I haven't seen much in terms of weapon upgrades except for the following video which shows a vendor in the mists... some of these runes have really powerful buffs and also add passive abilities, depending on how many armor pieces you have upgraded with your chosen rune type.

Ex:
    Superior Rune of Lyssa
    (1) +25 precision
    (2) +10% condition duration
    (3) +50 precision
    (4) When you use a heal skill you gain a random boon for 10s (cooldown 10s)
    (5) +90 precision
    (6) When you use an elite skill lose all conditions and gain all buffs for 5s

The runes are viewable at about 1:05
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrvV0rKGKw

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular

He's been doing gaming commentary/podcasting for well over a decade, so while the CATACLYSM beta may have gave his youtube channel major exposure, he'd already been fairly well known to those who cared about that kind of stuff.

I don't mind Lewis and Simon by the way, anyone with a lick of sense will see what seems like "Stupid Shit" is them horsing around... y'know, stupid shit, or playing the sort of character they've built up with their fan base.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time.

The @googlemail.com thing worked for me by the way. Got my confirmation email. Now to wait...

That bow thief video was pretty cool. I really like the teleport arrow and the short sword movement. but I am not sold just yet. Got to see what kind of options the elementalist has.

This discussion has been closed.