As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    man, i'm probably playing this demo too much. but i can't stop!
    i just nailed an 18.8 million run, thanks to a bunch of the tips posted in here on keeping my combo up. i think if i keep at it i can eventually get some really crazy scores.

next week needs to get here faster.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    2:03! I need to shave it to 2:00...

• TomaToma Registered User regular
    Whatever I did, the racing aspect finally clicked. Maybe spending so much time in the air doing tricks is a bad idea during races.

Anyways, add me to the list of PSN players, too. I need some leaderboard competition - PSN: Toma84

tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I do need clarification on a few things. Especially those tips for tricks.

How do you grind things that aren't rails? Do you hold L2 going toward them? Tap L2 near them? Also, how do you get off of rails early? No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work right.

Flips are better than spins, so should you always do a forward or backward flip? You can still spin while flipping, right?

When they said you should never change your trick in mid-air, does that mean you get more points for just holding one trick and flipping the entire time? Because someone else just said you should try to chain multiple in the air.

uyvfOQy.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I think they were referring to your direction. Don't change your trick in air is changing flow and direction. Keep the same momentum while chaining.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So does RiderNet require a Xbox Live gold membership?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I guess I've hit the wall. I can't get lower than 2:05 even though I've been playing all day and trying to copy the two higher times. No matter what I try, I just keep hopping slightly too high and can't spend enough time on the ground, boosting.

uyvfOQy.png
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man, how are you guys getting those times? I can barely hit 2:12 on a good day. At least tricking isn't a problem for me. Just hit a 21,290,000 score, gonna go for more right now.

Edit: up to 23,059,074. That's it for me tonight

gunwarrior on
    Ahh, got under 2 minutes. Finally. Now to never play the race again.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Ahh, got Gold. Finally. Now to never play the race again.

Hmm. I can only get about 9 million on the other stage. How do you raise your multiplier without long rails to grind?

uyvfOQy.png
  • TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    Hmmm.... looks superbly awesome. Unfortunately I have a 360 but no TV at the moment.

My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Trunkers wrote: »
    Hmmm.... looks superbly awesome. Unfortunately I have a 360 but no TV at the moment.

Do you have a computer monitor? Does it have DVI or HDMI?

edited February 2012
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Hmm. I can only get about 9 million on the other stage. How do you raise your multiplier without long rails to grind?

You can do manuals to keep your combo going between jumps and grinds by pressing square or circle while on the ground. (nose/back press)

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507

Now I'm even more sold on this game than I was before!

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    chidona wrote: »
    Advice from one of the creators of the game (last name is Batty I think - crossposting from the merqury city forums):

-sig trick worth most

-flips worth more than spins

-when not doing sig trick do L-R, R-L, B-X or X-B. The 2-input/step tricks are worth much more than the single button press

-never dupe your trick. If you see dupe trick callout off a big jump rewind immediately and re-jump, you'll get more in the long run even with the penalty

-never change your trick mid-flight

-build your multiplier up as fast as possible. Get into super tricky and do one grind trick after another at about a 1 second per cadence (if your multiplier doesn't go up you are doing it too fast). Once at 20x never change your grind trick mid-grind.

-one combo top to bottom, learn to watch the little chevrons beside your main score, they are the combo timer. Do a manual if no jumps, but can always just ollie

-use the terrain for big air opps anytime, just boost up the wall and then jump off. Can double the number of tricks you can do in a single run. This is really the key once you master the above and what will keep people playing this game forever.

I don't follow this, am I supposed to be varying my tricks using L-R, R-L, B-X, X-B during each jump or "never changing my trick mid-flight"?

How does "duping my trick" work? Is it the entire length of the run? Because I seem to get this ALL the time, does it remember like the first trick you do out of the helicopter and you can't do that again at all during the run?

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Just gonna leave a quick comparison of the three ways of doing tricks here:

Basic Grab Name - Standard (Analog Stick) - Standard (Buttons) - Classic

Rocket - Up - / Y - L2+R2 / LT+RT
    Melon - Left - / X - L2 / LT
    Indy - Right - / B - R2 / RT
    Truckdriver - Down - X / A - L1+R1 / LB+RB
    Nose Grab - Left⇒Up - / X⇒Y - L1 / LB
    Mute - Left⇒Right - / X⇒B - L1+L2 / LB+LT
    Seatbelt - Left⇒Down - ⇒X / X⇒A - L1+R1+R2 / LB+RB+RT
    Crail - Right⇒Up - / B⇒Y - R1 / RB
    Stalefish - Right⇒Left - / B⇒X - R1+R2 / RB+RT
    Tail Grab - Right⇒Down - ⇒X / B⇒A - L1+L2+R1 / LB+LT+RB
    Flying Squirrel - Up⇒Left - / Y⇒X - L1+R2 / LB+RT
    Stiffy - Up⇒Right - / Y⇒B - R1+L2 / RB+LT

Signature Trick - L2+R2+Any direction - L2+R2+Any button - L1+L2+R1+R2 / LB+LT+RB+RT

I was wondering where those two remaining grabs were hiding in Classic mode...

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    Allforce wrote: »
    chidona wrote: »
    Advice from one of the creators of the game (last name is Batty I think - crossposting from the merqury city forums):

-sig trick worth most

-flips worth more than spins

-when not doing sig trick do L-R, R-L, B-X or X-B. The 2-input/step tricks are worth much more than the single button press

-never dupe your trick. If you see dupe trick callout off a big jump rewind immediately and re-jump, you'll get more in the long run even with the penalty

-never change your trick mid-flight

-build your multiplier up as fast as possible. Get into super tricky and do one grind trick after another at about a 1 second per cadence (if your multiplier doesn't go up you are doing it too fast). Once at 20x never change your grind trick mid-grind.

-one combo top to bottom, learn to watch the little chevrons beside your main score, they are the combo timer. Do a manual if no jumps, but can always just ollie

-use the terrain for big air opps anytime, just boost up the wall and then jump off. Can double the number of tricks you can do in a single run. This is really the key once you master the above and what will keep people playing this game forever.

I don't follow this, am I supposed to be varying my tricks using L-R, R-L, B-X, X-B during each jump or "never changing my trick mid-flight"?

How does "duping my trick" work? Is it the entire length of the run? Because I seem to get this ALL the time, does it remember like the first trick you do out of the helicopter and you can't do that again at all during the run?

i'm not 100% sure on this, but the only reason you should be changing trick mid-air or mid-grind is to up your multiplier to 20x. otherwise it's better to hold one trick and get more flips/spins on that single trick. on duplications, check the short list on the bottom left of tricks you've recently done. if it is still in the recently done tricks and you pull it again, you will get a 'duplicated trick' penalty, which severely reduces the points you would have gotten from the trick.

Well the demo convinced me, just pre-ordered from Amazon. I know it's $5 cheaper at Toys R Us, but I heard their shipping wasn't great.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Psymon_render.jpg

What

What did they do to my beloved Psymon Stark?

Where's the Psymon we all know and love?

1866652-psymon3.jpg

while that is quite a change, that art makes it look like he punched that woman

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    while that is quite a change, that art makes it look like he punched that woman

Well, Psymon is a jerk. I mean, he hates Kaori. Who could hate Kaori? (Well, at least pre-emo super happy fun time Kaori)

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Because that's what he's doing! Punching one person, and shoving another, laughing maniacally all the way to the finish line.

Fireflash wrote: »

You can do manuals to keep your combo going between jumps and grinds by pressing square or circle while on the ground. (nose/back press)

Yeah. I just need to figure out the best, fastest way to raise the multiplier. It doesn't seem to go up enough just from doing tricks. I guess you have to specifically focus on doing lots of fast tricks in a row first...

uyvfOQy.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Cam you pretty much keep your manuals going forever like in SSX3? Or do you risk losing your balance or something.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited February 2012
    You can just hold onto the button, no worries. But, if you hit a bump of any sort, you risk trying to begin a trick. Which can make you crash if it was just a short hop.

Which song is playing in the demo? It's stuck in my head, but I've never heard it before. Game needs a 'currently playing' icon to pop up as a song begins, or a note that displays on the pause screen or something.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    You can just hold onto the button, no worries. But, if you hit a bump of any sort, you risk trying to begin a trick. Which can make you crash if it was just a short hop.

Which song is playing in the demo? It's stuck in my head, but I've never heard it before. Game needs a 'currently playing' icon to pop up as a song begins, or a note that displays on the pause screen or something.
    i have crashed SO MANY TIMES trying to landing into a manual

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Just tried out the demo. Not sure I like the new controls, did better when I switched to classic but it's kind of lame they wouldn't bother explaining anything about them in the demo itself. I mean, it's been a good while since I got to SSX it up, throw me a bone here EA. I guess they were too busy trying to tempt me into spamming my friends rather than making sure I know how to control the game the way I want, though.

That said the game is still stupid fun. Really rusty on what tricks to do for the best scores and whatnot, but got silver medals on both the trick and racing portions on my first try with the classic controls so I don't feel too awful about it.

• Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular

i have crashed SO MANY TIMES trying to landing into a manual

Agreed its tough but your scores show it works! major kudos, I've not had much time in the demo but I HAD to get a good time in race, Even in real life I like going fast when snowboarding, and the lines are so neat in this, although there are a few upper areas that look fun for geo-tagging!

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    Well, I cracked 12 mil on the trick course. That puts me in 3rd out of the PS3 people. I think being in the top three for both is good enough for me. Now, someone please tell me what those two songs are, so I can listen to them without everything else going on...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I beat Allforce! 2 seconds. Come at me. ;D

BlitzAce's time is nuts.

Reynolds;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdO85Qf4Poc

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVa3jAaweE

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Aww I finally had 1st last night on my leader board too after an amazing run where I barely beat the top score and me and my daughter both screamed out as I crossed the finish.

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    So does the new "Psymon" have a move where he hides under a cardboard box for a trick? For all the good I've seen out of the game so far, this sets it back quite a bit. Psymon was by far my favorite.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sorry Allforce! It's only 2 seconds though. And Blitz is way faster than either of us. New nemesis.

I don't mind new Psymon, he still does the guillotine, and if he still acts like an asshole, s'all good right?

I guess since this started off as grimdark realistic SSX, classic Psymon would have looked very out of place without any heavy protective gear.

Oh brilliant
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    In honor of this thread I have been playing Blur recently.

I am terrible at it. Not sure if it's the controls (can't draw ubertricks to save my life) or the course layouts (walls all over) but I am bad.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    After trying out the demo on the PS3 and 360 I decided to go PS3, despite liking the 360 controller a little more (played SSX3 on the Xbox).

My PSN name is FantasticDamage. If you add me, just tell me it's for SSX in the message. I get confused easily.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This demo is fucking amazing! I missed out on the previous SSX games....I'm not going to miss out on this.

tsmvengy wrote: »
    In honor of this thread I have been playing Blur recently.

I am terrible at it. Not sure if it's the controls (can't draw ubertricks to save my life) or the course layouts (walls all over) but I am bad.

Everyone says that the uber tricks in Blur are near impossible to pull off.