As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CSS not loading in Chrome?

kojimaroukojimarou Registered User regular
Chrome is giving me an unformatted page when going to all the other pages besides the forums. Site was fine yesterday. Happening on two different networks.

kojimarou on

• Options
    snoopy369snoopy369 Registered User new member
    Looks like Chrome is being redirected to the mobile site to me.

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    I use Chrome 18.0.1025.39 beta-m on Windows 7 and it's working fine for me. Try clearing cache and/or cookies?

• Options
    snoopy369snoopy369 Registered User new member
    I'm using 17.0.963.56 m on Windows 7 and it is definitely running the mobile site, even if i'm in Incognito mode...

• Options
    kojimaroukojimarou Registered User regular
    Yea I run incognito at all times at work, and it's still like this. No cache on this profile. I'm running release Chrome, maybe it's a Chrome thing that's fixed in a Beta?

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I'm getting an unformatted page too, in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

• Options
    GoldenpawwGoldenpaww Dorkus Humungous Sneaking up behind you.Registered User new member
    I have the same issue in firefox, but IE loads correctly.

• Options
    Oh hey, turns out I can reproduce this issue now too.

I opened an incognito window in Chrome and went to the PA home page. I hit Ctrl+Shift+R several times to refresh the page ignoring the cache. Sometimes the page loaded correctly, but just as often it would show up as unstyled.

I looked at the JS console and there were several errors. However, those errors often appeared whether or not the page loaded correctly, so I couldn't pinpoint a particular breaking error. Most of the errors appeared to do with ads, so make sure those aren't blocked.

Screenshot, spoilered for huge:
    7gnVz.png

• Options
    DeusInnomenDeusInnomen Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    I've been having problems with the site for a week or so too. When I go try and pull up the CSS file that's linked in the body of the page (hw1.pa-cdn.com/pa/assets/css/index3.css) I just get a bunch of binary, or possibly a weird Encoding issue. I suspect this might be related?

For the record, the page looks for me exactly like what agilemania put in the spoiler tags. If I load it in Firefox, the site (along with the CSS file) loads correctly as well as in IE9. Disabling all of my add-ons does not fix the issue in Chrome, either.

This is what I see when I open the CSS file:
    ‹Í=isÜ6–Ÿ•_Ájw&)u‡÷aÕV­­Œ“­M²^Û“™o.v7¥æ¸Õ䐔eEåÿ¾¸‰“ZÊÌ$eY‡wã»oWNÿ}ûÝWß}\½{\
    M=5»`ó¼iŽÇ‡àå°­wM°
    â0ŠÚôþþ~ÝÃïW5ú~½ín-Tgþ«½í»a
    î†Ã¿ºíÇûæpXoÇñëo.Mp02?4Çf¨ò©Ï·Áãm=Ü´ÇAxÙ×»]{¼¿~ùjÓí‚ǯÎ6õöãÍÐÝw/‚ó0
    wqtùÕÙuwœV×õm{xxüØ>5S»­/Àµõá"øµvõü{¬ãjl†öšvÛßšA”öŸÁ'ÛîÐ
    nS\'× É—¯öCð¸kÇþPÀÇîØTÚÛ›‹àºm»±™‚ÇM7욁}[¿8´ÇAýâS;¶pÇ)ظÞÔM„Úì»OÍÕÛ©ýÔÌmšë2·
    ظãÔ'8éûv7í_U"4ÙõÝÔA4×›éx~5øûX
    jØ‘¡¾9€}]§æó´j;øE°ªªª¹ŸBd®Ýý‹`ßîÀw𣻠̣!ÓKs7ŒÁ¾kZø„Î;¤`§¬îu7ܾîú¾ä76¹Ey:í‚WõHߘúœo6f:Ø7íÍÌ,ÉÐB­n»ßV›îójÜ×;8½ö·,ÿýgÐ/„ȯî›ÍÇv²7th—š¦¬B¾»C»ÛÚTy’ÁÕ€øßä)À³µ^Hë»±Ù|˜ÚC¯ûãÍ7Á*/³ÀZ¡ŸÇn54=`ú#´RDZiEæ3…þ3-Aš lòjìë-jÁf÷CqƒÖ꡹†h02kh– B8wð¯ÁGÓÃa&¸ù£U߁ƒÔvA@•c»k8\™ÓÓçÕf»¥Ãïšm7Ô¸#ÚÁ MÑp_jŽ‡´Zóº$1XùÑ:[Bˆ<^G|´ç}
    ~ØžÔ7/üßã2!ÜÖí‘B–@2ˆâ¼ ´‚Ûñ"H!3ãÇyë=Nd |a $—ú«÷@I^8Ì®&gt;7Ðû¡9n÷Íè3Pš¥.‰KwõÆ‹òÈiéÀI¾$䯷Eùs3ŽõMã~žß’ÜÙ€tÈQ<9mòbÖ3›º^`b›&«Â\8!:ü)_Ã_¿%¢Â«î°ûú‚¿–×p‰Ž:½”ц`-Ñ óðÇ¬èQñÕ­rÂ/ó2Ôh3ÝØØù®@h~«*‰$¾K˜l” <–üÓÆ)W‰öAqí9ö:@¸ZT&quot;€Ôl½cl€ 8ê7FúÙãÊ=›Äq–ñ‹¶¹ù€Û¢û
    / 4ù/×ê3·`aøïh¶d€uß~n>ß6Pá6䌃ȉMšÛqÞªŒ\i¤ß>ÂW‰‘CwÓ}@rõ&quot;W‹Så‰Ãént‘ÁÈ¢Åa(’Yœ·b8"ü¹$º‰s¤×Ó<OîzÅ‚ËåÜã|SÿrÇI¡E\
    è¡Ô•ê ˲Gä@º¿IVût±ˆµ å~hcy É+§‰+/'ñIh^¯©Ž03s¢Ip
    Á|g±Ÿ‰1¥Ó9E‹›°pNh^êŸ':4‡â¨“©\É]Rª^–­A««î¶Ýļnè"ϐ0VW(O%ÂTì=\ùÚ|™ÇKà£0eðßMÝÐø¢…y²4@9ÃÝ
    w·¾ð«"Z_0ðo^¾ÿA÷B?Êק(1|J˜ø›Í6¶±ia¡ÝPÝ<BA»e<¶=FÚ]áAÐ0BÐ.¼€]d >Æ;³<w¨7@Ä»›Ðí…¾é€PP
    Õ$Ì_øƒó•x0ñPþg3-ÜϦïü;Pß!"p;£¾CðDâtL½çÀӐù .^ßïî6Êîz}s×Íj ’Ϭ‹„QÒ×—²~c»êdÛƒ¤L; juO>ÛõeÁ¤ÀYTˆA€¦i)ˆùÜüèg»Öõ8éV#´JO?ƒí”Å'‹â{<ŠB•ÉFúa;Iä'R9ú ñ!h6Ÿ@[ï$N¶w7ž‹0–m­gUŠæ²J­èGB«Xl›Ðfí¿ülšçÔèm£j&amp;Ó#ŸF.SÖðJ¦›zðQ7£"$,^ƒè뻐¹…´ê¥Cç·>{Ðã5ؼ»ÁO“ƒU\&z%_9ÿ†õqâî·X:ÊHm ‰±CC=†…ç±^ßµ« \·+ЩQ}BÛókýTÉ‘t`wdŠY:èZtØ÷½€ÿÆi;²¨ëã
    ’3 Æ!UÜÙxûsG½õiÁò¤È5Ò]Âݹ殨D%T
    ­BqÅIQ—M׉põ»á¶>ˆ³e46‡f;5»óñÐMadŠ3dÌÓ6@±Q*Íý%Œ
    jÕµJ-9Ê,•È$ÁÂÚºHzlcÓ9/øöš½°J¼dBÑƨB½¤ÃÜjr
    ®†¡¦§àj…š€kQTF¨ë\`Wûö°ß>à§æ§è"’~U.ðºÆéM=L~„.°n€„5AOBæˆý/Í=…ïçAŠ˜uY¿ÊÔy€¿ž4ƒ<q€¹£|
    -¹…B}æ‡D^‘$÷Hì

... etc etc.

DeusInnomen on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    that looks very very suspiciously like gzipped text

so suspiciously so that I compressed index3.css by hand and forced chrome to try to interpret it and got %BOindex3.cssÍ=isÜ6–Ÿ•_Ájw&)u‡÷aÕV­­Œ“­M²^Û“™o.v7¥æ¸Õ䐔eEåÿ¾¸‰“ZÊÌ$eY‡wã»oWNÿ}ûÝWß}\½{\ ...
    (the green crap is identical, the red is some sort of header because I compressed it by hand)

I have no idea why chrome is having gzip-encoding related issues for you guys though (it works in chrome for me!)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
    Some of the pages off of http://penny-arcade.com/report/ the PA REPORT have been dropping their CSS for me in the last week. Don't know if it's related.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    when it happens, use chrome's nifty built in 'inspector', then switch to the 'net' tab, and look at the entry for the CSS files. make not of their response code and content-type, and paste back here. this will help.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    when it happens, use chrome's nifty built in 'inspector', then switch to the 'net' tab, and look at the entry for the CSS files. make not of their response code and content-type, and paste back here. this will help.
    That will probably only work if you happened to have the developer tools open when you loaded the page. Otherwise you'll only get that text in the bottom that reads:
    No requests captured. Reload the page to see detailed information on the network activity.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    IcyLiquid wrote: »

Here's what I get from the Inspector's Header section for that file:
    Request URL:http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pa/assets/css/index3.css
    Request Method:GET
    Status Code:304 Not Modified

Request Headers:
    Accept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    Accept-Charset:ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
    Accept-Encoding:gzip,deflate,sdch
    Accept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.8
    Cache-Control:max-age=0
    Connection:keep-alive
    Host:hw1.pa-cdn.com
    If-Modified-Since:Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:19:33 GMT
    If-None-Match:"1329729573"
    Referer:http://penny-arcade.com/
    User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.56 Safari/535.11

Response Headers:
    Accept-Ranges:bytes
    Content-Type:text/css
    Date:Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:03:57 GMT
    ETag:"1329729573"
    X-HW:1330437837.ch001c3

Let me know if you need anything else! I'll check back in from time to time, I've got a fair bit of my own work to do today.

• Options
    I'm having difficulty getting it to happen again, so maybe it's fixed?

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @Kethenn says it should be resolved. There were some expletives that I won't pass along.

• Options
    agilemania wrote: »
    I'm having difficulty getting it to happen again, so maybe it's fixed?

It's fixed here too after I cleared the cache. Thanks a ton, I'm sort of curious as to what the problem was, but I'm also just as happy to have the pretty CSS working again. ;)