As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wife and I did an Urgoz run last night on normal mode using heroes. Was pretty simple, once you learn to respect the zone and it's tendency to pop up a million things on you. Also the exhaustion effect rooms are nightmares. Urgoz himself was slightly challenging, in that we were having issues chipping him under 90% to get Edge of Extinction working, but we got him there eventually.

And nabbing that title ups me to 37 HoM points. Wife's holding steady at 35 with her new zaishen title.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I keep thinking about getting the Zaishen title, then deciding I don't want to bother. The PvP title is the last 3-point thing I have to get, but... meh.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    It basically amounts to an assload of PvP, or about 1100 plat. Zkeys market sits right around 5.5k at the moment, though it can take awhile to find a quantity seller at the right price.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Only about 50k away from 30 HoM points now! Hopefully I'll be able to get it today.

Flay on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Entriech wrote:
    Wife and I did an Urgoz run last night on normal mode using heroes. Was pretty simple, once you learn to respect the zone and it's tendency to pop up a million things on you. Also the exhaustion effect rooms are nightmares. Urgoz himself was slightly challenging, in that we were having issues chipping him under 90% to get Edge of Extinction working, but we got him there eventually.

And nabbing that title ups me to 37 HoM points. Wife's holding steady at 35 with her new zaishen title.

if you do urgoz again, i still need it. and the deep. i've got a monk and ele up there as well as my rit, so i could emo or UA if needed. nudge nudge wink wink.

IGN: Dayne the Austere

Feldorn on
    30/50, finally!

See you guys in GW2. :3

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Now is when you go for 50/50 :)

Geod wrote:
    Yeah, how can you stop! 35 is just around the corner. Then 40. Then oh man I have a problem, send help!

Honestly for me the main reason I keep pushing forwards is I've done almost all the money spending I need to do on HoM points, so I can just focus on titles. The exception to that is, as always, weapons, and Vabbian armor. Obsidian armor's on the table if I ever get to 49 points.

Vabbian Armor get! 39/50... slowly inching my way up.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    30/50, finally!

See you guys in GW2. :3

Grats bro. Got that myself, the other day.

1208768734831.jpg
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    So, I decided to check out how much some of the minis and tonics I have are worth now (all undedicated).

Holy. Freaking. Crap.

Now, I just gotta find the best place to sell all this stuff... what's the current "big marketplace" area in-game now? It's been a looooooong time for me.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    Kamadan in Nightfall (or spamadan as it's often known)

Rook wrote: »

Excellent. My Year Five pets shall populate the world!

FWnykYl.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Geod wrote: »

Nah, uni is starting up again next Monday so I can't risk the distraction, and I have all these games left over from Christmas I haven't beaten yet.

I'm happy with my Black Widow.

Flay on
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    15/30 now, think I'm aiming for 25 (want the White Raven).

Been using the Wiki guide plus http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/guide-30-50-hom-points-t10497824.html for general inspiration. Glint's Challenge was a super easy way to get a lot of armors - there's an 'AFK Glint's' hero setup that I can't quite AFK due to gear on my heroes, but I can win every time so long as I assist with a few of the trouble spots.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, Guild Wars 2 has caused me to redownload Guild Wars and peek around. I barely remember anything, and I never did anything other than the initial campaign and some pre-expansion end game pvp. I'm sort of tempted to try to dive back in and reacquaint myself with the world of Guild Wars. Are any of the expansions "Must Have?" I tried logging back in and am just super lost.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, Guild Wars 2 has caused me to redownload Guild Wars and peek around. I barely remember anything, and I never did anything other than the initial campaign and some pre-expansion end game pvp. I'm sort of tempted to try to dive back in and reacquaint myself with the world of Guild Wars. Are any of the expansions "Must Have?" I tried logging back in and am just super lost.
    If you're interested in getting Hall of Monuments points which will give you cosmetic rewards and minipets in Guild Wars 2, you need at least one of the campaigns and the Eye of the North expansion. Nightfall is arguably the best campaign. Not only does it introduce 'heroes', which are like customizable henchmen, it's also got the best mission design (not too long, challenging, varied objectives, some player agency) of the three campaigns.

Frankly I'd say to putter around a bit in whatever campaign you own, see if you're having any fun, and if you are, pony up the cash for whatever campaigns you don't have and eye of the north. Eye of the North has by far the best PvE content, with decently written characters, an ending that ties directly into Guild Wars 2, and 18 independent dungeons to explore.

Entriech wrote: »
    If you're interested in getting Hall of Monuments points which will give you cosmetic rewards and minipets in Guild Wars 2, you need at least one of the campaigns and the Eye of the North expansion. Nightfall is arguably the best campaign. Not only does it introduce 'heroes', which are like customizable henchmen, it's also got the best mission design (not too long, challenging, varied objectives, some player agency) of the three campaigns.

Frankly I'd say to putter around a bit in whatever campaign you own, see if you're having any fun, and if you are, pony up the cash for whatever campaigns you don't have and eye of the north. Eye of the North has by far the best PvE content, with decently written characters, an ending that ties directly into Guild Wars 2, and 18 independent dungeons to explore.

So, if I have the core game right now and just buy the Eye of the North (which seems to be the only thing that isn't part of a bundle these days), that could be good?

EOTN is pretty fun and provides a good setup for the stuff that is coming in Guild Wars 2. If you decide you want to get your Hall of Monuments stuff, wait for a good Steam sale on the Guild Wars Trilogy and you can pick up Nightfall and Factions for cheap.

So, if I have the core game right now and just buy the Eye of the North (which seems to be the only thing that isn't part of a bundle these days), that could be good?
    Yep, that sounds just dandy to me. Eye of the North gets you some heroes to tinker with, some of the best PvE content, and the ability to achieve rewards in Guild Wars 2.

Just remember, Prophecies is an old game at this point, the missions can be very long and a little obtuse. But the developers maintain an extensive wiki that can guide you if you never need help

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Just remember, Prophecies is an old game at this point, the missions can be very long and a little obtuse. But the developers maintain an extensive wiki that can guide you if you never need help

If you build a 20 via EotN/Nightfall with a balanced hero team, you can basically faceroll most of Prophecies. I think I only had to retry one or two missions. The bonuses are really annoying though in general - most just add an assload of time to the mission rather than making it more interesting (Masters in Nightfall was typically more interesting/less tedious).

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Decided to download this again after GW2 got me all excited.

And their password reminder isn't working. :x

Echo wrote: »

On the upside, ANet tech support is super friendly and helpful. :)

Echo wrote: »

On the upside, ANet tech support is super friendly and helpful. :)

I e-mailed their tech support from a new e-mail account, said, "My name is this, my address was this, I registered with one of these four e-mails, and I think my character name was this (I was wrong)." They provided me with my login credentials, my real character name and a new password.

They're friendly and helpful to a fairly unsecure point, lol.

edited February 2012
    Yeah, password reminder didn't work in-game, but worked on the site. Now I need a character name for security purposes which I've long since forgotten, so I emailed support for that. Had my original GW serial key as proof.

Echo on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »

Excellent. My Year Five pets shall populate the world!

if you want to sell your mini pets, your best bet is to go to the auction section of www.guildwarsguru.com and make a thread. i'd tried a number of times to sell my pets in game, never sold one. made a thread there, and sold 5 in 2 days for a pretty decent chunk.

Regarding selling mini pets, the best place to do it is in Eye of the North. That seems to be where most of the trafficking in mini pets occurs. Average pricing I've observed lately has been 3k 1st year, 5k 2nd year, 8k 3rd year, 15k 4th year, and 30k 5th year.

If you're willing to undercut a k or 2 on 4th and 5ths, you'll sell them very quickly.

I've also seen success in Lion's Arch, Kaineng center, and Temple of Balthazarr. Mostly because these are all still pretty populated locations with low seller spam in comparison to Kamadan.

So, if looking to farm the EotN points, is it better to use the annual birthday gift pets, or can you sell them and buy cheaper pets that get you enough completion levels to maximize points?

So, if looking to farm the EotN points, is it better to use the annual birthday gift pets, or can you sell them and buy cheaper pets that get you enough completion levels to maximize points?

Depends on your goals. If you are only seeking the bare minimum of pet points, It'd be better to buy a set of year one, year two, and a few year threes, selling your more expensive pets to finance that. If you're looking to eventually max out miniature points, dedicate all your birthday gifts.

Advice very much appreciated! Thanks. :^:

FWnykYl.jpg
    Anyone want to sell me a lot of Obsidian Shards?

• RookRook Registered User regular
    Geod wrote:

I have five that you can have.

Apparently Gamestop at some point had a pack that included EotN, the base game and both xpacs for $30. I grabbed the last one in my area, I think. I'm having trouble figuring out where to go to start at the beginning of the xpac content, though.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Kaineng Center, Kamadan and Lion's Arch all have an npc giving a quest about some king of rumbling/sinkholes opening up. That's what starts it.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Wife and I polished off our Protector of Cantha title last night. Tonight I think is some fun dungeon action, cleaning up yesterday's bounty in the Cathedral of Flame as well as killing Magmus in Heart of the Shiverpeaks.

Ho hum. Waiting for support to get back to me so I can log on.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    It's been a very long time since I regularly played this. The rust that has collected is making it tough.

I'm absolutely stuck in the early Asura content for EotN. I got through the Norn storyline and had a great time with it. I've hit a brick wall with the Asura stuff. I can't even get through "Finding Gadd".

I think it's a combination of forgetting how to play and the fact that I only have Prophecies + EotN. I'm guessing I'm missing out on a ton of useful skills not having the other two expansions.

edited February 2012
    The asura part of EotN definitely ramps up the difficulty. The dinosaur packs are *murder* on any group that doesn't have strong builds.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Geod wrote:

I have five that you can have.

I'd buy them off you. I'll be on tonight if you're around.

So, I had two characters with 5 years of gifts on them. One of them got a single purple pet. Both of them got some sort of potion for their fifth year gift. I think I had the worst luck possible? Is this potion worth anything since it isn't a pet and therefore isn't good for cheevos?