As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek is Our Business

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    We also rarely see the Rotarran getting hit. I think they only show it getting hit by phasers, never torpedoes. Maybe they just have a really good pilot.

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Huh, this is weird. I'm watching Soylent Green, and one of the characters is played by the actor that plays Sisko's dad.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Maybe the Obsidian Order built that missile. They do seem to have technology that's much more advanced than the Cardassian military. Heck, maybe they bought the technology from another race.

Against my better judgement I'll try and advocate for the missile. As the only one of its kind displayed it was (presumably) an experimental prototype, possibly the pet-project of some kickback-taking Gul or Legate. It was one-way, meaning there was no need for a number of things like backups or limiters for keeping systems that were going to be in service for a long time from overclocking. (see TOS episode "Journey to Babel") And running with this theory that the missile was the pet-project of a corrupt official, it could have been effective because it was expensive, and used the resources needed to make several of their regular warships. This also would explain why it was never seen again.

But then TOS had an episode where a single supercomputer ran the ENTIRE original enterprise and did it so efficiently and piloted it so well it could win a 4-on-1 fight without taking a scratch. One of the common themes in Star Trek, right next to no genetic engineering, seems to have been "AIs do it better, so we don't trust them and never let them."

That said, it's Voyager, so this kind of defense or depth is irrelevant, Braga wanted a superweapon and wanted Voyager to feel responsible, everything else was him taking that desired plot and cramming it into the metaplot with a shoehorn and a hammer.

Boring7 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Watched the 2009 Star Trek again, and realized that whatshisface Kirk sounds a whole lot like Crichton in Farscape.

Both the voice, and the way he chokes and gargles while lifted off the floor by the throat.

Crichton does that a lot.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Great, now I wish Ben Browder would have been cast as Kirk instead.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    "Welcome to the Federation starship SS Butt-Crack. "

sig.gif
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    He's almost fifty years old.

Lucid on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Lucid wrote: »

I hope to age that well.

And Shatner's 80. Starship captains age slower than average humans.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Well, Patrick Stewart has stopped aging altogether, I think.
    And Scott Bakula looks close to how he looked in the 80's....

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2012
    Jryk2.png

edit: just had to check - Michael Dorn looks great for a guy that's almost 60.

Echo on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    And Shatner's 80. Starship captains age slower than average humans.

It must be because they spend a lot of time traveling really fast. Relativity, you know.

• Smudge2626Smudge2626 Registered User regular
    Space hippies! I don't think I ever heard anything about this episode before. It's painful.

On an IRL note, I purchased tickets for this year's Trek Con in Vegas. Any advice for a first timer?

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Are you serious?

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote:

Are you serious?

Yep

iguanacus wrote: »
    Casual wrote:

Are you serious?

Yep

Did he laminate his face or something? How is that possible?

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote:
    Casual wrote:

Are you serious?

Yep

He's a muppet?

Yeah, that was low.

Casual wrote:
    Casual wrote:

Are you serious?

Yep

He's a muppet?

Yeah, that was low.

Either that or he's a freaking highlander.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual wrote:
    Casual wrote:

Are you serious?

Yep

He's a muppet?

Yeah, that was low.

Either that or he's a freaking highlander.

we'll know when he or Keanu Reeves are found beheaded. Then there will be only one.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Oh man, there's that ds9 episode where sisko does that alternate reality in the 50's and Worf is a smooth-talking baseball player.

Someone link that picture.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Oh man, there's that ds9 episode where sisko does that alternate reality in the 50's and Worf is a smooth-talking baseball player.

Someone link that picture.

farbeyondthestars097.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Huh, this is weird. I'm watching Soylent Green, and one of the characters is played by the actor that plays Sisko's dad.

Brock Peters... my god that man was amazing. Not only was he an amazing actor but he was an amazingly gentle, kind man who always had a good word to say. I had occasion to meet him several times away from the fans. So sweet. :)

Cogliostro on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Redacted.

Harry Dresden on
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Redacted.
    Now I just want to know what you said...

Speaking of Sisko's dad, did they ever mention whether he was supposed to be related to that admiral the actor played in the movies?

Wandering Idiot on
  • MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Just finished the DS9 episode Civil Defense. Initially thought it was going to be boring. Boy, was I wrong. When Ducat beamed into Ops I almost lost it. And then he tries to leave the station and trips another layer of security. I couldn't stop laughing.

Redacted.
    I'll reconfigure the deflector array to fire a chronotron pulse at his post. You modify the sensors to increase their post-reading resolution by 47%. That should do it.

sig.gif
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Richy wrote: »
    Redacted.
    I'll reconfigure the deflector array to fire a chronotron pulse at his post. You modify the sensors to increase their post-reading resolution by 47%. That should do it.

Thatll never work, you need a reverse chronotron pulse or youll fry the injectors.

emp123 on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    we need quantum chronitons from the quantum deflector, you've got it all wrong!

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »
    Just finished the DS9 episode Civil Defense. Initially thought it was going to be boring. Boy, was I wrong. When Ducat beamed into Ops I almost lost it. And then he tries to leave the station and trips another layer of security. I couldn't stop laughing.

It's honestly one of my favorite episodes of the series.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

I like it because Dukat is so smug most of the time, it was great to see him completely outmaneuvered.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular

I like it because Dukat is so smug most of the time, it was great to see him completely outmaneuvered.

Its even funnier when you think he would've remembered that he recorded a message saying that attempting to beam out would be considered desertion.
    Then again he probaly did so many of them messages it slipped his mind. Like Central command phone him up, "hey Dukat you now rule Bajor, now go record 1000 automated messages we can play on any topic from an insurrection to the vending machines are now out of cheese and the zoo will close in one hour"
    Then Dukat ends up like Milhouse in the Simpsons when he plays Fall-out boy. "we've done it fifty times, its done its over" "yes but now we have to do it again from different angles!!!".
    Then it turns out the automated message thing was suggested by Garak, which is why Dukat hates him

• AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    Well, that message was by his boss, not him.

steam_sig.png
    Just finished Fascination. OMG a space station full of Lwaxanna Trois's. That entire scene at the party. Dax hiding behind Sisko with her hands all over him. And then Vedek Bareil punches Sisko.

I was laughing so hard.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    Just finished Fascination. OMG a space station full of Lwaxanna Trois's. That entire scene at the party. Dax hiding behind Sisko with her hands all over him. And then Vedek Bareil punches Sisko.

I was laughing so hard.

I love that episode - it's Trek by way of Shakespearean comedy.

BareilPunchesSisko.gif

LOL.

DS9 actually made Lwaxana a bearable character.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I dunno, I thought she was pretty great in TNG too. Her fucking with Picard was mostly excellent.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think Lwaxana was decent because she was supposed to be annoying, unlike Wesley or Neelix. She made Picard really uncomfortable and that was her shtick, and it's an amusing shtick.

Also "Dark Page" was a pretty good episode.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Majel Barrett is a goddamn treasure. Lwaxana is one of my favorite Star Trek characters, simply because she is so very different from the typical gang of characters. And Nurse Chapel was a pretty good character for the time, even if most of what she did was fawn over Spock. And can you blame, her really?

emp123 wrote: »
    I dunno, I thought she was pretty great in TNG too. Her fucking with Picard was mostly excellent.

*smiling*
    "Helm, set a course for Betazed."
    *gets close and whispers*
    "Warp 9."

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.