As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On Burgs and Other Important Items of Nourishment

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    http://steamykitchen.com/20773-steak-with-kimchi-butter.html

someone go make this and tell me about it

so that I may live vicariously

I could give this a shot in like 39 days.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    This may be horribly racist, but can I pick up kimchi butter in China town? I live like a mile away from all the grocery stores there.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

@Druhim

This is what's for dinner this weekend

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i dont think kimchi butter is much of a standard thing

momofuku milk bar would have it because they do a lot of creative things with asian flavors and whatnot

but you could get kimchi in chinatown probs, koreans sell stuff in chinatown sometimes

poo
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:

@Druhim

This is what's for dinner this weekend

<3

easysig2.jpg

momofuku milk bar would have it because they do a lot of creative things with asian flavors and whatnot

but you could get kimchi in chinatown probs, koreans sell stuff in chinatown sometimes

I'd just like to reiterate how much I hate you for being able to "just walk over to momofuko"

so, in conclusion, die

easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

oh my god
    YES

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Dru is made entirely from kimchi and cynicism

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What is kimchi, exactly

I've heard a lot about it but I don't know what it actually is

Moriveth wrote: »
    What is kimchi, exactly

Korean fermented vegetables, usually cabbage or radishes with chilies and shrimp paste

Sounds odd but is completely delicious, if you like sriracha you'd probably like kimchi also

fermented spicy slaw is the best approximation

easysig2.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What is kimchi, exactly

Kimchi, specifically, is basically pickling. Usually some type of vegetable, most commonly cabbage, usually fermented in a brine of various seasonings, which tend toward hot.

But what kimchi can be is pretty broad. It's more a particular process than a collection of specific ingredients. The most popular type of kimchi involves napa cabbage, just like the most popular type of pickling is the cucumber. But the sky is basically the limit.

Javen on
    edited February 2012
    What is kimchi, exactly

Kimchi actually covers a pretty broad range of Korean fermented pickles using a range of veggies. It's used as a condiment/side dish. But the type of kimchi most westerners are familiar with is kimchi made from leaves of napa cabbage. It's spicy, tangy, and pungent. Also good napa kimchi usually is made with fish sauce and/or shrimp paste which gives it a smell that the uninitiated will find rather funky. But it adds a component of umami which gives it a wonderful flavor. You can get kimchi in the states that doesn't have fish sauce or shrimp paste, but personally I find it rather bland.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Interesting! Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Interesting! Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I've never been fond of most types of kimchi, but I love pickling. It's one of the easiest ways I've found to bring in some homemade flavors, because the hardware is inexpensive, it's easy to set up, and the hardest part is the waiting. And like Dru said, they make excellent side dishes, so it almost always pays to have a few jars around.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:

I'd just like to reiterate how much I hate you for being able to "just walk over to momofuko"

so, in conclusion, die
    :(
    i can mail you some

poo
    sometime in march, I'll be starting a new round of chemo. This one will be nastier than before and will probably put me down for a while.

I'm going to focus on putting together my cookbook during my downtime to distract me.

As such i will need testers to step up so I can get the finishing touches put on this. This whole thing has taken way too long.

easysig2.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What kinda things are required of a tester?

No, gonna have to stop right. I wont have time. I would absolutely love to test recipes, but I straight up refuse to have responsibility for anything until the month of June. Sorry.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    I'd be down, and I'm sure @Sheri would be more than eager to eat tasty things.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Stale I'd love to help but what exactly would you want from a tester? I can only cook about twice a week (big meal on Sunday, something smaller during the week if I'm in town) and there are some things I can't cook with (eggs, peanut oil).

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    He'd probably want someone to follow the recipe as he wrote it, then give feedback

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    If you choose to test or are chosen to test, I suppose, the instructions are simple:

Follow the recipe EXACTLY as it is written. No substitutions, no adding, no subtracting...no nothing. To. the. letter.

Then we want to hear: What did it taste like, did things seem off, was is good, was it easy to follow, does something need clarification, do the times seem off, etc..

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I would definitely be down for testing. I can follow recipes to a T, and I am a foodie, and I am responsible and timely.

sometime in march, I'll be starting a new round of chemo. This one will be nastier than before and will probably put me down for a while.

I'm going to focus on putting together my cookbook during my downtime to distract me.

As such i will need testers to step up so I can get the finishing touches put on this. This whole thing has taken way too long.

Oh, hey, the other day I was poking through my inbox to see if any of it was vegetarian. Was going to give the sweet potato casserole and the biscuits a go. The message is from October 2010. Would either of these have changed since then?

Oh, hey, the other day I was poking through my inbox to see if any of it was vegetarian. Was going to give the sweet potato casserole and the biscuits a go. The message is from October 2010. Would either of these have changed since then?

nope, I haven't updated those

danke

easysig2.jpg
    Also, if you wanna look at pictures in the Momofuku cookbook, I can lend that to you any time.

Bedigunz wrote: »
    Stale I'd love to help but what exactly would you want from a tester? I can only cook about twice a week (big meal on Sunday, something smaller during the week if I'm in town) and there are some things I can't cook with (eggs, peanut oil).

like Zip and Quoth said. You just need to follow EXACTLY what I give you. No "well I don't like things very salty, so I cut the salt in half and switched the thighs for breasts because I'm retarded.".

I wouldn't ask anyone to cook something hazardous to them, so obviously if you can't handle nuts, I'm not going to give you a peanut satay to make.

easysig2.jpg
    edited February 2012
    and then above all else, I need lots of feedback.

While I really appreciate things like "this was great" and "turned out excellent", those aren't really helpful. I'd rather you bitch at me about little things than just praise the recipe.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    I can handle that

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    I wouldn't ask anyone to cook something hazardous to them, so obviously if you can't handle nuts, I'm not going to give you a peanut satay to make.

If you have any recipes with 0 salt and 0 alcohol I might be able to test that one! 8->

Also, if you wanna look at pictures in the Momofuku cookbook, I can lend that to you any time.

I actually own it

I'm trying to stop myself from buying the modernist cuisine set. Am I a bad enough dude to buy a $500 cookbook?

easysig2.jpg
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Stale wrote:

If you have any recipes with 0 salt and 0 alcohol I might be able to test that one! 8->

sure

easysig2.jpg
  • kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    I'd certainly like to try out some new recipes. I usually have Sundays free for longer cooking and do shorter meals during the week, so I could do sides or anything that might take around an hour on those days. I have to give quite a lot of feedback on processes for work and I try not to assume anything, so I hope I'd be good at that part.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Stale wrote:

sure

Heeeeeeeey, that's not a recipe at all!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'd be happy to test out your recipes Stale if you need folks when the time comes.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'VE DONE IT, I'VE BAKED SCRUMDIDDLYUMPTIOUS COOKIES AT LAST, MUAHAHAHA

KNEEL BEFORE ME, COOKING MENSCHU

mensch-o-matic on
    Break out the garlic butter!

tumblr_lzwc0dkF5Y1qg2hepo1_500.jpg

40 inches, 27 lbs, caught in Maine

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    That thing was probably alive during the first world war

easysig2.jpg
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I have these ingredients left over from my week, and I need to come up with something for weekend eats out of some of these items. I'm thinking a crockpot may be where it's at with some of the veggies, thighs, and stock. Any other ideas, maybe a stirfry?

Chicken thighs with skin
    Baby Bella Mushrooms
    Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
    Red Onion
    Chicken Stock
    Baby Carrots
    Brussel Sprouts
    Guinness Beer
    Fish sauce
    French Onion Soup (canned)

Also a full spice rack and various condiments, including waaay too much Dijon mustard.

This discussion has been closed.