As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    And Mordin at 50 is another sketchy age. Most Salarians don't go above 40.
    Mordin talked about "living out the last decade in peace" so I thought he was early-mid 30's. If he was 50 that would be like a modern human at 120, he wouldn't be fit for combat.

I looked again and you're right. The wiki page mentions him being born "sometime in the 2150s", so that puts him at about 35ish, maybe a little older. I'm not sure where people got 50 from, it was just the first age I saw when searching :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Mordin talked about "living out the last decade in peace" so I thought he was early-mid 30's. If he was 50 that would be like a modern human at 120, he wouldn't be fit for combat.

I believe Taky explained a while ago that the ages given for the ME2 characters weren't necessary their true age as much as their human-equivalent age.

Why Grunt is 22 and Mordin is 50 even though that's quite old for a Salarian.

Thing that still confuses me is Zaeed. Who is only 40 even though he looks older and that would mean he started the Blue Suns when he was like 15.

Dragkonias on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Zaeed was the sole survivor of his high school prom

Elendil wrote: »
    Zaeed was the sole survivor of his high school prom

He should have gained the loyalty of the homecoming queen...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well...If we were looking to theorize I guess age expectancy for humans in the future is 1.5 times longer?

So if they were comparing those he would more likely be in his 50s?

Or maybe someone just messed up.

Dragkonias on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Garrus can't have been that green in Mass Effect 1, since he was the C-Sec officer in charge of the investigation into Saren - the Council's #1 SPECTRE.

That's not a dossier that you give the new guy.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Garrus can't have been that green in Mass Effect 1, since he was the C-Sec officer in charge of the investigation into Saren - the Council's #1 SPECTRE.

I thought C-Sec was trying to bury the investigation into Saren, which is why Garrus teams up with you in the first place? I can totally see the higher-ups giving the new guy that assignment if they don't want it to be finished.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I believe Taky explained a while ago that the ages given for the ME2 characters weren't necessary their true age as much as their human-equivalent age.

Why Grunt is 22 and Mordin is 50 even though that's quite old for a Salarian.

Thing that still confuses me is Zaeed. Who is only 40 even though he looks older and that would mean he started the Blue Suns when he was like 15.
    Getting shot in the head and left for dead doesn't really do great things for your complexion I would guess. :lol:

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Oh no...I was just surprised since she looks like she's 26-28 to me.

People seem to think I'm 22-25.

I'm not.

Mass effect fields.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I thought C-Sec was trying to bury the investigation into Saren, which is why Garrus teams up with you in the first place? I can totally see the higher-ups giving the new guy that assignment if they don't want it to be finished.

Wasn't Garrus in line to be a Spectre as well?

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Orca wrote: »
    Oh no...I was just surprised since she looks like she's 26-28 to me.

People seem to think I'm 22-25.

I'm not.

Mass effect fields.

NO. NO. NO.
    STOP IT.
    STOP IT.
    STOP IT.
    Okay!?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Mass Effect needs more asians to screw with people's perceptions of age.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    joshgotro wrote: »

He was considered as a candidate, but his dad's pretty high up in the military and hates Spectres so he put the kibosh on it.

Z0re on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Why are there no ludicrous hairstyles kept aloft only by eezo?

Tell me, Mass Effect.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    I guess the Mass Effect 3 demo is over?

I just want to know why Mass Effect has never featured a hoverboard. They have the tech right there!

Z0re wrote: »

He was considered as a candidate, but his dad's pretty high up in the military and hates Spectres so he put the kibosh on it.
    You don't become a candidate as a green boy.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Z0re wrote: »

You don't become a candidate as a green boy.

Nope, Garrus is pretty accomplished and is apparently super-Turianly good with a Sniper rifle.

He didn't even break the rules, and was a good cop, until the Saren thing.

Shepard's journey fucked him up something fierce and made him an adrenaline junkie and a pariah to Turian society and his family.

Z0re on

Let's guess Emily Wong's age :)

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

nope, it continues until the 5th for multiplayer

though those of us who have characters in the teens for every class are kinda tired of it

Warlock82 wrote: »

Let's guess Emily Wong's age :)

Anywhere between 16 and 60.

I just want to know why Mass Effect has never featured a hoverboard. They have the tech right there!

tony hawk styled minigame with dual revenants instead of mako/firestorm missions?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There's never any indication how long Okeer was working on Grunt, is there? I doubt it would be enough of a difference to overcome even the youngest humans though.
    Is this the conversation people are talking about? I'm not seeing any problems here.

Nope. For starters, she doesn't mention the sex. 8-)

Synthesis on
    evilthecat wrote: »

tony hawk styled minigame with dual revenants instead of mako/firestorm missions?

Bonus points for doing tricks while headshotting dudes

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

Secret Squadmate: Emily Wong.

"I'll be the one conducting this interview. Extreme closeup with Camera 1 *FACE PUNCH* Do you want camera 2? Or are you ready to talk?"

Also this is true. I'm Asian and 24, everyone thinks I'm 19.

IT'S AWESOME.

ChaosHat on
    evilthecat wrote: »

Bonus points for doing tricks while headshotting dudes

with devil may cry styled pop up descriptions and style meter!
    BITCHIN! SMOOOOOTH! HUSK-O-RIFIC!

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

though those of us who have characters in the teens for every class are kinda tired of it

okay, weird, it seems the latest update must have done something to my memory stick

(great, I lose all my save files on there ...)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

"I'll be the one conducting this interview. Extreme closeup with Camera 1 *FACE PUNCH* Do you want camera 2? Or are you ready to talk?"

IT'S AWESOME.

Apparently my mass effect fields have the opposite effect. I'm 25 and most people think I'm 30 to 35.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

IT'S AWESOME.

Apparently my mass effect fields have the opposite effect. I'm 25 and most people think I'm 30 to 35.

I'm 24 and people often think I'm <16

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I'm worried that since unlocks are client side and can be hacked that the player base will dwindle REALLY fast.

Hacked. Elaborate.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I'm worried that since unlocks are client side and can be hacked that the player base will dwindle REALLY fast.
    More reason to just play with PA people.

But you're correct, if there are no controls in place, the MP will get hacked to hell and kill the community within weeks, if not sooner.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    oh effing eff!!!! got kicked out in wave 11! Very frustrating.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Eh, not like we play with pubbies usually. PA will stay strong for a while.

Apparently the client side coding is laughably easy to alter though. A buddy of mine found out about it and shortly after had like 1000000 credits and he's not any sort of brilliant coder.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is there any chance that's just for the demo? Like, they didn't bother to put the full system in place for it?

Either way, as long as I have an Origin page filled with PA'ers (I do), I imagine I'll have some quality non-cheaty people to work with, though yeah, if that's the case I could see it becoming an issue months or years down the road.

Luckily, that's already somewhat accounted for by having the MP be optional, even if skipping it (intentionally or because nobody is around) isn't ideal towards getting the better endings.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    We haven't had any quality posts from the BSN place in a while so I opened up a random thread in the character forum and hey presto!
    Let's make this a game. Someone has to find something recent and more disturbing than this.
    My shep will retreat to a safe, sheltered place, of which only his close friends will know and live there for a few years with Ash, maybe they'll start a family, but he is not a family man so that depends on whether Ash would take initiative. ;)

After that he'll either want to move up in the Alliance ranks, not frontline stuff, but maybe he'll become an admiral, if it isn't too much for him. Or he might want to help a small colony/a quiet place on earth rebuild. Ashley might have different aspirations though. On the subject of long distance relationship between Ash and Shep, do others think it could work?

edited February 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    Is there any chance that's just for the demo? Like, they didn't bother to put the full system in place for it?

Unlikely. That would be extra work to make the demo easier to break, which would be stupid. It's not final code, but serious security breaches like that aren't something you're going to fix in a short period of time. Those are fundamental architecture problems.

Orca on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Addendum: Curly was right like 20 pages ago. Human engineer is awesome. Drone and overload is all you need. Combine it with a phalanx and it's a killing machine. I was doing really well in that bornze round before my crappy internet connection kicked me out in wave 11.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Isn't the human lifespan around 150 in Mass Effect? Not like 33/35 is really that old, anyway -- like Kaidan, she's only a few years older than Shepard.

For Zaeed, not only would he have to have founded the Blue Suns as a teen, but that would be after service in the Alliance military. So yeah, no way that one's right.

s7Imn5J.png
    edited February 2012
    Isn't the human lifespan around 150 in Mass Effect? Not like 33/35 is really that old, anyway -- like Kaidan, she's only a few years older than Shepard.

For Zaeed, not only would he have to have founded the Blue Suns as a teen, but that would be after service in the Alliance military. So yeah, no way that one's right.

Most people are born normally.

Zaeed shot his way out with Jessie.

He was the only one that made it out alive.

Orca on