As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Shit, the whole "visit another server" was an idea I had for WoW ages ago. Glad to see it happen.

• Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    warban wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

Wouldn't it be cool a certain someone was able to do something like this who reads the Penny Arcade forums.

Don't be crass, dude.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm honestly surprised that thread hasn't been removed or edited. A public admission of favoritism doesn't seem like the sort of thing that Arenanet would really want kicking around. Given how they've re-iterated a number of times over the past few days that selection is based on testing profile rather than any other criteria.

Edit: I also get wanting to do something nice for a thing you're involved in, I just don't know if this was the right way to go about it.

Entriech on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Wouldn't it be cool a certain someone was able to do something like this who reads the Penny Arcade forums.

Don't be crass, dude.

We rolls our dice we takes our chances. WaM was incredibly nice to post here the moment she could. I know it showed up for me here a few seconds before I saw it in other places.

That's going above and beyond on her part and we shouldn't complain about it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    That's pretty dumb of Anet. Send special people invites sure, but giving an entire forum a cut in the queue like that is annoying

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Well whatever is the case I tweeted that link to the GW2 Twitter account. We'll see if I get a response.

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    I apologies for my above statement. I wasn't trying to be offensive. I didn't ask it directly anyway. I understand posts like that are why game employees choose not to interact with fans directly. I don't want to be the "This is why we can't have nice things" so again I apologies.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited February 2012
    Neli wrote: »
    That's pretty dumb of Anet. Send special people invites sure, but giving an entire forum a cut in the queue like that is annoying

I'd be pretty surprised if they knew anything about it.

Let's not take a post on a forum as some sort of sponsored favoritism. Especially not without any proof.

Seidkona on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yogscast takes a look at the Engineer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHuaza6sfY

The AMA on Reddit (covering WvW topics) will be starting in an hour, so this link may be worth taking a look at around then: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Let's not take a post on a forum as some sort of sponsored favoritism. Especially not without any proof.

Exactly. Chances that it's "I know a dude who works at ANet and I'm totally going to assume he'll let me and all my friends into Beta!" are quite high.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Well he did say the guy at ANet is the co-founder of their forum/website

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Yeah, yeah the engineer is pretty boss.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Exactly. Chances that it's "I know a dude who works at ANet and I'm totally going to assume he'll let me and all my friends into Beta!" are quite high.

If that's the case, then it behooves them to be made aware of it so that the mistaken individual can be corrected. Either way, I know multiple folks have sent the forum thread on to Arenanet, so one way or another, it's a done issue.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Those yogcast guys are like a not-funny version of the IT crowd guys, end up muting the video anytime I watch something they put together.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Well he did say the guy at ANet is the co-founder of their forum/website

He's pretty much guaranteeing everyone who responds to him and are on his "list" will end up not being in the beta, at least not right away. It's the only right thing to do.

488W936.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I don't see why they shouldn't all be let in. After all, anyone who plays FFXI has some very special tastes in video games. Makes sense testing your systems on those people, though I would imagine the press beta would've been enough testing for the needs of special people.

reVerse on
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    If they are, they are. No sense whining about it really.

I really can't see some random developer getting a couple of hundred beta slots to hand out though.

World's best janitor
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Also wasnt WaM apart of the team that developed the beta application process? If it's true WaM should know.

Also I dont particularly care about it either. Developers as far as I am concerned can invite who they want to the beta to test their game.

But yes I may be a bit jealous over it but its perfectly fine. I could also be jealous that I am not a friend or family member of an arenanet employee as well.

With that said, gif betas neow plx.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Favoritism in the selection process would bother me, only insofar as I wasn't being allowed in.

Beyond that, I'll be happy to face-maul some folks who thing they're special because they "know a guy."

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Look at that thread title.

How far we have come...

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Man, I have no idea what to play in this game. I recently came to the realization that I only really always play the tank in MMOs because I want to easily be able to do group content, and when I don't have to do the role, I actually really enjoy stealth DPSers and even some healing now and again. I'm leaning toward Guardian, but I can't tell if that's the play the Paladin type guy mentality of the past, which isn't needed in this game at all.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Here's the AMA (questions & answers) on WvW at Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/q45rm/iama_guild_wars_2_game_designer_ama_about_world/

My highlights:
    • ANet are considering both real-money and in-game currency for server transfers (not finalized). They are also considering allowing a period for new accounts to do free home-server transfers
    • XP rate for WvW will be approximately equivalent to leveling in PvE
    • There will be WvW achievements and there may be the possibility to earn titles via WvW
    • WvW will be available for testing in the Mar/Apr beta weekends
    • NPCs ambient chatter will comment on the world's level of success in WvW
    • GW2 will not have guild cloaks, but guild emblems can be displayed on armor/weapons
    • Every objective has multiple routes of attack, including stealthy or underwater ones in some cases
    • ANet is considering giving thieves the ability to do some "infiltration" in WvW. However, they don't want to unbalance things
    • The guild with the highest participation in claiming an objective gets first shot at claiming that objective for their guild
    • There are in-game alerts if your guild's WvW objective is under attack
    • Armor is damaged when you die in WvW, as you can get loot/gold from enemy players equivalent to drops you'd get in PvE. (Important to note that you do not actually take the defeated player's stuff)
    • There will be PvE bosses and events in the WvW areas
    • There are "squads" in WvW. You unlock "commander" mode by buying an item (one-time purchase). You then choose to be an active commander and people can opt to join your squad. Being a commander gives you a special chat channel to talk to your squad, and the ability to place waypoints on the WvW map
    • Siege weapons can be placed anywhere and are balanced with the understanding that players must defend them
    • Enemy players in WvW will be labeled with generic names (as seen in the press weekend footage) to give them the "enemy" aspect, and to prevent players being singled out
    • The only fast-travel waypoints in WvW are keeps that have been upgraded to have a waypoint (and the safe areas where you enter). Otherwise, better get running
    • Fighting hotspots will show on the WvW map
    • Performance optimization and increasing the population for maps is a major focus of development at the moment

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Man, I have no idea what to play in this game. I recently came to the realization that I only really always play the tank in MMOs because I want to easily be able to do group content, and when I don't have to do the role, I actually really enjoy stealth DPSers and even some healing now and again. I'm leaning toward Guardian, but I can't tell if that's the play the Paladin type guy mentality of the past, which isn't needed in this game at all.

That is totally why I started with Guardian.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    From the AmA:
    There is a quaggan mercenary camp in each borderland map that can play a pretty cirical part of assaulting or defending the keeps in that map as gaining favor with the quaggans lets them build weather control stations that shower the nearest keep with healing rain for your allies or zaps your enemies with bolts of lighting. I assume that's enough to make people want to fight there ;)

I think I want to marry GW2!

EDIT: I should point out that this was in response to a question about underwater combat in WvW areas. Supposedly the quaggan camp referred to is actually underwater!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Okay, so I have this fantasy about playing GW2.

I want to play a Ranger. I want to have a hawk / owl / eagle, some sort of hunting bird as my main pet in WvW. I want to be a member of a squad of 3-4 people and our primary job is scouting out enemy positions. I want to go behind enemy lines and relay information back to my server's main army, and while I'm not doing that be an annoying fucktard pulling off guerrilla tactics against the enemy's lightly defended supply caravans and outposts.

I really want to be able to do all that.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited February 2012

I honestly started there with the Guardian also. . .however as time has gone on and I have seen the skills in action, the weapon sets and what is possible I have come to realize it's still top for me. Not so much because of the tank mentality (I'm not sure this fits as even with heavy armor the health pool is smaller than warrior) but because of the pure level of control and support they can have on the battle field.

Seidkona on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I honestly started there with the Guardian also. . .however as time has gone on and I have seen the skills in action, the weapon sets and what is possible I have come to realize it's still top for me. Not so much because of the tank mentality (I'm not sure this fits as even with heavy armor the health pool is smaller than warrior) but because of the pure level of control and support they can have on the battle field.

For me, my favorite role isn't necessarily healing or tanking (even though I do enjoy both of those), it's the savior role, I like to support my allies. I like to be the force multiplier. I like to be the reason you didn't die. So guardian is still an attractive choice for me, and it certainly was "going to be my character at launch" when it came out, but my first character is going to be an engineer. The zone control support nature of the engineer is, I think, really what I'm looking for.

Rend on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Entaru wrote:

Don't be crass, dude.

We rolls our dice we takes our chances. WaM was incredibly nice to post here the moment she could. I know it showed up for me here a few seconds before I saw it in other places.

That's going above and beyond on her part and we shouldn't complain about it.

I don't know who that person who posted is, and I DO know Cliff very well, and I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have approved anything like this. I'm talking to him about it.

edit: Cliff is getting the post removed. It was not authorized. Those guys are gonna be disappointed.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • MEN INTO POSITION QUICKLYMEN INTO POSITION QUICKLY Registered User regular
    Yeah, the huge number of ways you can impact a battle as an engineer is really attractive for me also. Just watching a video of a dude looking through all the skills and kits was enough to get me super hyped for it.

Z0YfY.jpg
    I think with GW2 i'm going to have to just wait for the char creation screen, and just pick what my gut tells me sounds the coolest to me to begin with. If i'm lucky I can get in the beta and try different ones out as well I suppose.

Rend wrote: »

For me, my favorite role isn't necessarily healing or tanking (even though I do enjoy both of those), it's the savior role, I like to support my allies. I like to be the force multiplier. I like to be the reason you didn't die. So guardian is still an attractive choice for me, and it certainly was "going to be my character at launch" when it came out, but my first character is going to be an engineer. The zone control support nature of the engineer is, I think, really what I'm looking for.

Engineer will be my first alt because of what you are talking about. I have gone back and forth between the two professions more times than I can count as I've run down the different scenarios in my head. this latest round of info has put me back into the guardian camp just barely and there is a possibility I will slide back to the engineer as a main. I like both concepts quite a bit. So much so that I don't forsee myself needing another alt for a while because these two will pretty much do it for me for a while. (Sure I'll make alts that's not what I am saying. They just won't see anywhere near the hours these two characters will. I could be wrong, and when I put my hands on the game everything changes for me, but I don't think so. . .)

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    •There are "squads" in WvW. You unlock "commander" mode by buying an item (one-time purchase). You then choose to be an active commander and people can opt to join your squad. Being a commander gives you a special chat channel to talk to your squad, and the ability to place waypoints on the WvW map

WANG SQUAD ROLL OUT!

NOW BACK IN!

• MEN INTO POSITION QUICKLYMEN INTO POSITION QUICKLY Registered User regular
    990,000 beta sign ups.

I was thinking 1mil sounded about right earlier.

Z0YfY.jpg
    Am I crazy or did I read a long time ago that the exp required between each level in GW2 is static? I know in one of the previews I read this week the writer said something about the level cap of 85 discouraging him from playing alts, but I thought i remembered reading that even though the number was high, the levelling curve was going to be flat so you wouldn't feel like it took forever to get to max level. It kind of seems like the levels are just a formality compared to most MMOs anyway, since you can pvp/sidekick anyway.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Am I crazy or did I read a long time ago that the exp required between each level in GW2 is static? I know in one of the previews I read this week the writer said something about the level cap of 85 discouraging him from playing alts, but I thought i remembered reading that even though the number was high, the levelling curve was going to be flat so you wouldn't feel like it took forever to get to max level. It kind of seems like the levels are just a formality compared to most MMOs anyway, since you can pvp/sidekick anyway.

I've definitely seen it referred to as being pretty flat before (aside from like the first 10 levels).

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic

Here's a good blog on it: http://www.arena.net/blog/progression-and-leveling-in-guild-wars-2

• am0nam0n Registered User regular

For the "No Twitter at Work" Folks among us, mind quoting it? Put it in a Spoiler if it's large, please!

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    GW1 sold 6 million units

I bet 10 internet dollars that this will outsell that 2 to 1

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
This discussion has been closed.