As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Transformers Movie Thread

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My screenwriting teacher wrote The Transformers animated movie. Did people generally like that?
    Your teacher gave me nightmares for years. Fucking Optimus Prime turning black and gray and his head falling to the side.
    Don't fucking remind me :cry:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    So, supposedly they're going for the long-nosed semi-truck because they want to make Optimus Prime huge (they're not doing the "something really big from something really small," ie. Megatron from a gun and Soundwave from a tape recorder). Apparently using the original design didn't give them the height they wanted.

What I'm wondering though, is if they're going to make Megatron a tank, won't that make him significantly shorter then Prime? Granted, he can still be dangerous and lethal, but coming out shorter then the Autobot leader kinda makes him look less imposing.

Depends on the tank. Depending on its design, they might be able to buy some extra height by combining the clamshell trick with a few others.

Now, me, if I was trying to make Optimus Prime, I'd just give him something to attach to his vehicle mode that'd provide the height and some extra things adde don.
    I still don't see the problem with a cab-over semi though. The legs hinge at the front bumper, so you've got the full length of the truck plus the full height.

I hope they get the colors right at least. Maybe a Terminator III-esque scene, how Arnie first pulled out the Elton John glasses, before tossing them and finding the black frames.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    So, supposedly they're going for the long-nosed semi-truck because they want to make Optimus Prime huge (they're not doing the "something really big from something really small," ie. Megatron from a gun and Soundwave from a tape recorder). Apparently using the original design didn't give them the height they wanted.

What I'm wondering though, is if they're going to make Megatron a tank, won't that make him significantly shorter then Prime? Granted, he can still be dangerous and lethal, but coming out shorter then the Autobot leader kinda makes him look less imposing.

Depends on the tank. Depending on its design, they might be able to buy some extra height by combining the clamshell trick with a few others.

Now, me, if I was trying to make Optimus Prime, I'd just give him something to attach to his vehicle mode that'd provide the height and some extra things adde don.
    I still don't see the problem with a cab-over semi though. The legs hinge at the front bumper, so you've got the full length of the truck plus the full height.

I hope they get the colors right at least. Maybe a Terminator III-esque scene, how Arnie first pulled out the Elton John glasses, before tossing them and finding the black frames.

Say what you will, that scene was an excellent part of T3.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5041544459760537218&q=transformers

Apologies if it's been posted already, but I thought it might be a relevant addition to the discussion. What does everyone think of the transformation, decent?

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

Apologies if it's been posted already, but I thought it might be a relevant addition to the discussion. What does everyone think of the transformation, decent?

Damn cool but its not from the movie, or even a test clip from the movie

aquabat on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

Man, I am going to get sexually aroused anytime I see a Transformer "transform" throughout the entire movie. That rules so hard.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:

Man, I am going to get sexually aroused anytime I see a Transformer "transform" throughout the entire movie. That rules so hard.

Theres also this, its fan made as well

aquabat on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Re: Grimlock.

I knew he was something special when I was reading a Transformers comic and Grimlock was left in charge after Prime dissapeared. Something along the lines of "Prime know Grimlock not always agree, but Prime know one thing about Grimlock. Grimlock know how to kill Decepticons."

See, this is why I fucking love Grimlock.

csgrimlock5.jpg

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Re: Grimlock.

I knew he was something special when I was reading a Transformers comic and Grimlock was left in charge after Prime dissapeared. Something along the lines of "Prime know Grimlock not always agree, but Prime know one thing about Grimlock. Grimlock know how to kill Decepticons."

See, this is why I fucking love Grimlock.

csgrimlock5.jpg

That's my desktop at work :^:

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Superunknown on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

Damn cool but its not from the movie, or even a test clip from the movie

EDIT: No, it's not.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Oh.... well it's damn good.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sorry if this has been posted before...
    Confirmation has come down the pipeline that Peter Cullen, voice of the original Optimus Prime in the 1980's cartoon The Transformers, has officially auditioned for the new Transformers Movie. Poster "Diabetes" on the Don Murphy message board posted the information only to have Mr. Murphy confirm his statements a bit later.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/peter-cullen-auditions-for-the-role-of-optimus-prime-in-new-transformers-movie.htm
    Don't let Don mess with your heads guys. Peter Cullen, has officially auditioned for this role in front of the big man himself, Bay!

100% FACT!
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100953&page=16

If this doesn't happen i'm boned, as they say.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Wait... he had to audition?! If he wants the role, it should be his, end of discussion. The only, ONLY valid reason for Prime not to be voiced by Cullen is if Cullen turned down the role, or died.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wait... he had to audition?! If he wants the role, it should be his, end of discussion. The only, ONLY valid reason for Prime not to be voiced by Cullen is if Cullen turned down the role, or died.

Maybe they want a big name for the part, like Nick Cage. Just think of Nick Cage voicing Optimus. :twisted:

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I was going to see the animated movie, but after reading this very upsetting article on how it ruined somebody's life, I have been postponing watching it...

Also, somebody else photoshop this. Here's your source material:
    http://www.tfu.info/2002/Autobot/OptimusPrime/vehiclemode.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/ryansoldout/RealOptimusTruck.jpg
    http://www.hospitalgowns.com/images/BIG-Flames.jpg
    http://www.lettertech.com/images/2002HELMETS/2001%20FLAMES.jpg

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The more I read about it, the more I feel this film will be yet another Casualty of Hollywood's inability to push new, original IPs onto the silver screen.

Transformers does not need a live action movie.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The more I read about it, the more I feel this film will be yet another Casualty of Hollywood's inability to push new, original IPs onto the silver screen.

Transformers does not need a live action movie.

Well, watching some of the transformation scenes I've seen fans and that one test scene, I have to disagree.

Seeing a car melt from car to robot in 1980's animation is one thing. Seeing a monkey become a robot with a jetpack and rockets in 1990's CG is one thing. Seeing a very real, or at least real looking, car shift from car to robot in a fashion that makes it look like this is really god damn happening is far different from those.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    Space_GSpace_G Registered User new member
    edited July 2006
    Space_G on
    Bring me my monocle
    I want to look rich
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Didn't see it posted, AICN has a take on the whole Optimus Prime picture thing:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=23858
    Update from Michael Bay's camp, regarding the Optimus Prime pic!!
    Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. The fan response to the Optimus Prime photo posted a couple days ago was massive. Considering the photo was live for only a few hours, the amount of talkback, emails and all around buzz around the internet just goes to show how big of a fan following this film has.
    Michael Bay has an official site (CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE SITE) and forum there where he can talk directly to fans. The forums went a little nuts when the pic hit. I was told there was going to be some sort of official statement by Bay on this site by readers of the forums and while that hasn't happened yet, his moderator "Nelson" posted a little update that confirms the picture as real, but kind of skirts around most of the other issues. Here's the post:
    Spoke to Bay this morning...
    ...as I said, he will post later on later regarding the designs (when I say later it could mean tonight or in a couple of days).
    Among some of the stuff:
    -They (Bay & Co.) are commited to maintaining total secrecy about this project until it hits the screen. We spoke of how there was no surprise factor to Peter Jackson's King Kong. You knew the whole movie ahead of time. There are some in the team who believe the audience's first peak of the robots in their normal mode should be when they sit down to watch the movie in the theater (in other words, no sneak peak of them in their normal mode in the trailers).
    -Bay & crew are well aware of sites putting out BS info in orded to elicit a response from Bay & Co.
    -The reasons why they went with a huge long nose truck for OP (BTW, regarding the flames, there is a context for them like Orci pointed out). Bay said they did test with flat noses (FN) for scale purposes, and the FN would only be about 20 to 25 feet tall, so they went with the biggest truck they could find: the Peterbilt. We're talking 40 to 50 foot tall robots here. The physics for these robots have to be real...aka no magically disappearing parts. Also, OP is going to have much more red than what was shown in the supposedly "leaked" photo.
    -Regarding the designers... all I can say is he said they all had to be fans of the show in order to get their jobs.
    -Regarding the Ludacris rumor...no, he does not have a part in TF.
    "Supposedly leaked" yet still confirms the long nose and flames... and they certainly had a fit when they saw it was on this site... Strangely enough, I agree with the physics explanation, which is why I didn't freak out too bad at the long nose. I want there to be a certain degree of reality with these guys.
    I also agree, to a certain degree, about KING KONG. I would have loved for them to have only hinted at KONG in the advertising and waited for the movie for us to have gotten our first, clean look at him. However, Peter Jackson had no need to prove himself to the fanbase when he made KONG. Overall, people trusted his vision of the movie icon. Bay doesn't have that luxury with the fans of TRANSFORMERS.
    I really want to see Bay make his real deal statement. He can choose not to reveal one thing to the fans before the movie rolls next summer. That's his choice. The benefit of audience surprise is certainly something to consider, but he also needs to consider the negative impact of not doing anything to ease the rabid fan base's worries. The seeds of TRANSFORMERS success has to be planted now. If he's going to change up a character design, he has to show us why he's doing it. Make us understand his thought process, even if we don't agree with it. He can't just sit back and let this blow over.
    The most vocal talkbackers, forum members, website owners, etc, desperately want to be supporters of a live action TRANSFORMERS movie. Unfortunately, what they are seeing doesn't work for them and if that's all they see, you'll feel the bite next summer. Non geeks will go see this because it's a huge event movie, but the geeks will be the ones that give it legs, that will come back over and over again, bringing their friends, family, etc. They're also the ones that can taint this movie with negative buzz a year out, like what's going on here.
    Bay has been very kind to me in giving me access to this film. He seemed to genuinely want to speak to the fans and assure them that he has their interests at heart and will do them proud. I hope he still has that point of view now that the fans have disagreed with one of his decisions. I want him to make a badass, huge popcorny fun big budget TRANSFORMERS movie. He's certainly on the right road from what I have personally seen. I'd hate to see him stumble by messing up the details or at least messing up the way he deals with the fans.
    Anyway, I'll keep an eye on Bay's message board and my ear to the tracks with my sources within Dreamworks and Paramount. Hopefully Bay himself will speak out soon and hopefully he'll have something good to say.
    -Quint
    quint@aintitcool.com

subedii on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    There are certain things they can change that I will accept in this movie. Optimus could have the same color scheme, but if he doesn't? I don't know, if his robot form looks cool I'll buy it.

If I made this movie the following things would happen:
    Optimus' trailer would inexplicably disappear whenever he transforms.
    Starcream would betray Megatron at least 50 times during the movie.
    Megatron and Optimus would also fight with laser axes.
    Jazz and Spike would go to a rock concert and Spike would dance by humping the air.

yakul on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    -They (Bay & Co.) are commited to maintaining total secrecy about this project until it hits the screen. We spoke of how there was no surprise factor to Peter Jackson's King Kong. You knew the whole movie ahead of time.

The fuck?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    yakul wrote:
    There are certain things they can change that I will accept in this movie. Optimus could have the same color scheme, but if he doesn't? I don't know, if his robot form looks cool I'll buy it.

If I made this movie the following things would happen:
    Optimus' trailer would inexplicably disappear whenever he transforms.
    Starcream would betray Megatron at least 50 times during the movie.
    Megatron and Optimus would also fight with laser axes.
    Jazz and Spike would go to a rock concert and Spike would dance by humping the air.

This was the point of my last post. Since these guys are all about having these revisions 'make sense', why not just skip it and come up with a new IP which makes sense. Occasionally a revision will work (Battlestar Galactica), but then that was shit to begin with and there was no way Moore could have made it any worse than the original.

I don't want Transformers to make sense. I want the Transformers. Like you, I want laser axes and energon cubes.

I also want the Green Goblin to wear his original mask and throw pumpkin bombs. Too much to ask? Apparently so.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2006

I also want the Green Goblin to wear his original mask and throw pumpkin bombs. Too much to ask? Apparently so.

Those were pretty much pumpkin bombs. And shit man they vaporized those guys.

yakul on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    yakul wrote:

Those were pretty much pumpkin bombs. And shit man they vaporized those guys.

Only in the land of mechapumpkins.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My screenwriting teacher wrote The Transformers animated movie. Did people generally like that?

So THEY were responsible for me watching half my favorite toys die in 15 minutes when I was a kid??

djklay on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Tell him that he got lazy during the 2nd half of the film.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Tell him that he got lazy during the 2nd half of the film.
    Ba weep granna weep ninny bon.

yakul on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, I'm not much buying that "It was impossible to make Optimus transform into a robot using the original truck without cheating physics" bullshit. If you make the actual semi, say, 15' tall, then by the time you swing down the legs and pop on the head, you could hit the 40' they said they wanted. And there was an actual toy that made this transformation. I'm pretty sure that Mattel didn't figure out how to violate the laws of physics with their toy line.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not much buying that "It was impossible to make Optimus transform into a robot using the original truck without cheating physics" bullshit. If you make the actual semi, say, 15' tall, then by the time you swing down the legs and pop on the head, you could hit the 40' they said they wanted. And there was an actual toy that made this transformation. I'm pretty sure that Mattel didn't figure out how to violate the laws of physics with their toy line.

precisely

It's just lazy design and directorial arrogance. They could do Optimus just right, but they aren't going to do that.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2006

I read they made everyone audition rather than just handing them the role in case their voice wasnt enough like it was. People get old guys, we're talking about voices from 20 years ago.

Im fucking stoked that Cullen is back, but I can see what they were attempting to do.

aquabat on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Honestly, I can appreciate what he's saying. I never expected Optimus to look exactly the same, I just want:

a) For him to be a truck of some sort for preference and

b) For him to sound and act kick ass

I'm looking forward to giant transforming mayhem rampaging through the city.

I mean lets face it, a lot of the aspects of the cartoons were a bit daft, but we loved them at the time. I just want a remake that'll stay faithful to how cool they've always been to me. I don't care if Optimus doesn't have the laser axe (although I still absolutely LOVE the sound of his blaster. :mrgreen: ), or whether they get the original voice actors back in (and I can see why they'd want to make sure with the audition, if for nothing else than to be on the safe side EDIT: Beat'd), as long as things look, sound and are awesome regardless.

This isn't going to be 100% like the cartoons. If it were, it'd probably suck as a movie. So I don't mind liberties taken, as long as they're nothing really major, and as long as it all works in the end. And that won't really be known until we watch it in a years time. Like I said earlier, even I'm expecting it to flop anyway, but that doesn't mean I can't understand what they're doing and why they're doing it. I'm just hopeful that it'll be awesome in the end.

subedii on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

I read they made everyone audition rather than just handing them the role in case their voice wasnt enough like it was. People get old guys, we're talking about voices from 20 years ago.

James Earl Jones has sounded the same for 20 years. This means that all actors sound exactly the same as they did 20 years ago.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Anybody who thinks that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker can't do Prime and Megatron anymore has never seen the episode pf Megas XLR with the robot monarchy.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Tell that to Michael Bay

Have you guys resigned yourselves that there probably wont be lasers in this movie?

aquabat on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't want Transformers to make sense. I want the Transformers. Like you, I want laser axes and energon cubes.
    Which would appeal to the portion of the geek crowd that enjoyed the campiness. The rest of the population would be terribly disappointed that they went to a movie that made no sense.

Quid on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    GSM wrote:
    I was going to see the animated movie, but after reading this very upsetting article on how it ruined somebody's life, I have been postponing watching it...

It might ruin your life if you are 8 years old, but aside from that it's:

* Dark, very dark.
    * Features the best bad guy ever.
    * Cussin' Autobots.
    * An ensemble voice cast, including Lenod Nemoy, Eric Idle etc.
    * Really bad, feel good cheesy music.
    * The Metal Transformers Theme.

And it's pretty epic. And has a great start. And great incidental music.

And this is what I feel of it after watching it only like a month or two ago.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Don't bother watching the third act, it's a pretty unfulfilled blow off.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    It's only a photoshop, but man, what could've been...

megatronMEGATRON.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png