As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    am0n wrote:

For the "No Twitter at Work" Folks among us, mind quoting it? Put it in a Spoiler if it's large, please!

person A: @GuildWars2 Will the invites be sent as soon as the registration ends?

guildwars2: @Phazon4G they won't be sent straight after, everyone should give their F5 keys a break for a few days or so :) ~AT

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    990,000 beta sign ups.

I was thinking 1mil sounded about right earlier.

wow. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    am0n wrote: »

For the "No Twitter at Work" Folks among us, mind quoting it? Put it in a Spoiler if it's large, please!

@GuildWars2 Will the invites be sent as soon as the registration ends?

@Phazon4G they won't be sent straight after, everyone should give their F5 keys a break for a few days or so :) ~AT

Edit: Beaten hard. That's what I get for not refreshing the thread before I post.

Vi Monks on
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I think there's an echo in here.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    1 million beta signups... now I know why ANet were watching the live signup stats so intently.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

Question
    Phazon wrote:
    Will the invites be sent as soon as the registration ends?

Response
    they won't be sent straight after, everyone should give their F5 keys a break for a few days or so :) ~AT

edited February 2012
    Double post, cause I'm a moron.

Decoy on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    From the guild wars 2 twitter feed:
    "they won't be sent straight after, everyone should give their F5 keys a break for a few days or so :) ~AT"

This was in response to someone asking if invites will be sent as soon as registration ends.

ahahahahhahahaha

does no one check to see if there's another page of the thread before posting

• MEN INTO POSITION QUICKLYMEN INTO POSITION QUICKLY Registered User regular
    guys can someone post the thing about when the invites will be sent

Z0YfY.jpg
    edited February 2012
    ahahahahhahahaha

does no one check to see if there's another page of the thread before posting

The page goes so fast. /shrug

Edit: In my defense I'm also attempting to work.... poorly.

Decoy on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    warban wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    Just to mention, the game isn't freemium in any capacity.

What I mean to say by freemium is the that any form of an e-shops can be more successful than a subscription fee. Not that Guildwars 2 will be free to play or require players to spend money in game to get ahead. I would wager though that players will spend more for a cosmetic shop than they would otherwise. I'm looking at LeagueOfLegends skins in this regard.

Hell, you only need to look at TF2's hat selection to see that.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    While I'd love to read into that comment that beta invites would be in a few days, could also mean 'Just chill out people! It'll come in due time and you won't miss anything by not reading this page constantly!'

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Question
    Phazon wrote:

Response
    they won't be sent straight after, everyone should give their F5 keys a break for a few days or so :) ~AT

ahahahah will this never end

• SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    If only there was someone out there who could tell me if beta invites would be sent out immediately.

steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Superdupe wrote: »
    If only there was someone out there who could tell me if beta invites would be sent out immediately.

Oh shit, they just covered this! They're not going to be sent straight after, you can let your F5 key rest for a while. I don't remember where I heard it, hold on.

liEt3nH.png
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    *says something about the recent twitter post*

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
    edited February 2012
    Man. As someone who hasn't played the original in years (and really only played sparingly), the idea of getting any HoM stuff done seems daunting as hell. But, I doubt I'm really going to be missing anything.

Decoy on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Question

Answer
    So proud of @tyrabanks for graduating from Harvard Business School! Congrats TY!!! #rolemodel

• LethinatorLethinator Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Man. As someone who hasn't played the original in years (and really only played sparingly), the idea of getting any HoM stuff done seems daunting as hell. But, I doubt I'm really going to be missing anything.

HoM stuff is mostly eye-candy, no special buffs. I guarantee if you haven't already achieved a lot in GW1, it'll take too much time to be worth it.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Huggles wrote: »
    I think there's an echo in here.

Sure is.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So this is pretty neat.
    There's been a lot of discussion about seeing enemy names in WvW. While I certainly understand the reasoning behind the request to see enemy names, we are fairly firm about not showing names of the opposing teams. I think of it this way, in a war people dont introduce themselves before trying to kill each other. When you are fighting in the mists for your world, you are in the middle of a giant war against two opposing forces who want nothing more than to take everything you own and kill you as many times as they possibly can. That guy who just shot you is not Bob the Engineer, he's the enemy.
    Not showing enemy names in WvW also helps players that are less pvp-oriented feel less threatened about venturing into the battle because seeing enemies as anonymous 'invaders' creates a sense that opponents won't be able to recognize them and pick on them because of their lack of skill in a fight, so they in turn feel more embolded to go out and fight in the first place. Not showing names also makes it so people can feel as if they can 'hide' in a fight if need be, but still be around to help out. That's a pretty critical part of making WvW feel more inviting for people that would normally never think about playing PvP in any other game.
    We've heard "I usually dont PvP, but I love WvW" again and again from people in our beta, so even though showing names might make for a more competitive pvp environment, we'd much rather create a game that is more welcoming for people that don't normally play the more hardcore PvP games. If you want to see enemy names and get to know the community of people you are fighting against, competitive PvP is the place to get that sort of thing in Guild Wars 2. WvW is the place where you fight with your friends and show your might against a faceless never-ending horde of enemies. It's not about taking names, it's about taking back that tower and claiming it for your guild so it can wave your flag right in the enemies face!

reVerse on
    edited February 2012
    Lethinator wrote: »

HoM stuff is mostly eye-candy, no special buffs. I guarantee if you haven't already achieved a lot in GW1, it'll take too much time to be worth it.

Depends how far you want to go. You can get 15-17 or so just by completing the campaigns and the added content (and a few challenge runs for armor bits).

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    For people who have completed the main campaigns, getting a few points (10-15) in HoM is very easy, but they get progressively harder, of course.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm super pleased about the anonymity of enemy sides in WvW.

steejee wrote: »

Depends how far you want to go. You can get 15-17 or so just by completing the campaigns and the added content (and a few challenge runs for armor bits).

That's essentially what I was planing on doing.

edited February 2012
    At first I was a little sad on the no name plates in WvW thing but their reasoning is pretty sound on it and I can see it bringing in more people into that part of the game and that's really what matters.

We'll still be able to see Guild Names so we can at least have that level of rivalry.

Seidkona on
  • LethinatorLethinator Registered User regular
    Yeah I should note for anyone that has a very old account you probably have collected enough miniatures to grab yourself a fair hunk of stuff. That's where most of my points came from, anyway. I never really played the expansions much.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Their reasoning sounds pretty dumb to me but then I'm one of the guys who love recognizing names on the battlefield and having private rivalries with individuals

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited February 2012
    With this policy I have a small chance to get my wife to try WvW. Without it there is no chance at all.

Seidkona on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Playing TOR PvP in warzones, I've literally never once looked at a player's name. All I care about is killing them and winning the game, so that doesn't make a difference to me. I think their reasoning is sound though, as for people who might not venture into pvp it might encourage them, and it's not going to discourage anybody who wants the name, they just might dislike it a little and then get over it anyway.

I'm glad they have a squad system for WvW. Sounds kind of like the system they used in Battlefield

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular

Getting twenty really isn't that hard either. It really only starts to get difficult after that, but not by much. After 30 it really starts to get hard, but loses its bang for the buck anyways. At least you get at least one item for each point earned up until 30 (plus a title every 5 and an extra bonus at 15, 20, 25, and 30).

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    1 million sign-ups reached.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    Seems like they're taking a lot of ideas from DAoC and various other MMO's. Finally a developer that can see all the good in all the old stuff which used to be~~

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • MEN INTO POSITION QUICKLYMEN INTO POSITION QUICKLY Registered User regular
    I don't think it's a necessity. If you're going up against an opponent or group enough to develop a rivalry with them, you'll no doubt easily recognise them by appearance/class/play style.

Also then you can start giving all those dumb jerks from the other stupid worlds suitably lame names.

Z0YfY.jpg
    Rednaz wrote: »

Getting twenty really isn't that hard either. It really only starts to get difficult after that, but not by much. After 30 it really starts to get hard, but loses its bang for the buck anyways. At least you get at least one item for each point earned up until 30 (plus a title every 5 and an extra bonus at 15, 20, 25, and 30).

Agreed (I'm going for 25), but the last few points to 20 can be a little time consuming, so i figure the 17 is about where you get if you don't want to really repeat any content. After 20 definitely gets a lot more grindy since you either have to put in lots of time or (ingame) cash to acquire each point.

As for the WvW nameplate thing - nameplates seem a bit pointless in a super-large-scale system like that (and in larger battles might look ridiculous), so sounds good to me.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not having names in WvW PvP will eliminate both the annoyance and the amusement of having somebody log in on an alt on your server just to chew you out because you kicked their butt. I personally find that sort of thing amusing (though it rarely happens to me since as I've said before, I'm not great at PvP), but it can get really bad if somebody goes into full-on silly goose mode. Not to mention keeping forum sniping to a minimum, though I hope Guild Wars 2 continues Guild Wars' tradition of not having official forums. Seriously one of the best choices I think ArenaNet's ever made.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    While I'd love to read into that comment that beta invites would be in a few days, could also mean 'Just chill out people! It'll come in due time and you won't miss anything by not reading this page constantly!'

Yeah, I am reading it the same way.

This discussion has been closed.