As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Is there any chance that's just for the demo? Like, they didn't bother to put the full system in place for it?

Unlikely. That would be extra work to make the demo easier to break, which would be stupid. It's not final code, but serious security breaches like that aren't something you're going to fix in a short period of time. Those are fundamental architecture problems.

The goofy part is that it's dumb design that is popping up in a LOT of PC games these days due to consoles. Since console games aren't easily modded, devs feel they can get lazy and then don't make any tweaks to fix the blatant holes during the port to PC.

Thank god this is just coop. I'd hate to have another Homefront or Crysis 2 on my hands.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Is there any chance that's just for the demo? Like, they didn't bother to put the full system in place for it?

Unlikely. That would be extra work to make the demo easier to break, which would be stupid. It's not final code, but serious security breaches like that aren't something you're going to fix in a short period of time. Those are fundamental architecture problems.

The goofy part is that it's dumb design that is popping up in a LOT of PC games these days due to consoles. Since console games aren't easily modded, devs feel they can get lazy and then don't make any tweaks to fix the blatant holes during the port to PC.

Thank god this is just coop. I'd hate to have another Homefront or Crysis 2 on my hands.

Yeah. Thing is, the servers are local to one of the players. From what I can tell, it looks like Bioware's servers are mainly for matchmaking and maybe storing your profile. Given that it's effectively client-side-hosted, I don't see how they could possibly make this hard to hack against someone that knew what they were doing.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Well. I mean wouldn't cheating like that at worse only affect the person using it.

Oh wait...I guess someone could hack themselves a gun that does like 999 damage per shot and make the match not fun for everyone.

Dragkonias wrote: »

Well. I mean wouldn't cheating like that at worse only affect the person using it.

Oh wait...I guess someone could hack themselves a gun that does like 999 damage per shot and make the match not fun for everyone.

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out this is Diablo all over again on the PC.

Security is non-trivial.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with Diablo...could you explain?

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yeah. Thing is, the servers are local to one of the players. From what I can tell, it looks like Bioware's servers are mainly for matchmaking and maybe storing your profile. Given that it's effectively client-side-hosted, I don't see how they could possibly make this hard to hack against someone that knew what they were doing.

There are certainly ways to do it, but that would require more work and lots more money for extra servers just to do client verification. Verification which, as TOG pointed out, would only be necessary for the PC version, since the console versions are going to be a lot harder to hack and always carry the risk of getting kicked off of LIVE/PSN.

I guess we can enjoy it while it lasts.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Diablo...could you explain?

There were zillions of client-side and server-side hacks, including killing people within the town (which was supposed to be impossible), generating equipment, killing people in the dungeons without attacking them, etc. Unfortunately, it made pub play pretty miserable fairly quickly.

I hope that won't happen here (ME3 has no "you can attack friendlies" at all EVER, which should at least slow it down), but I'm not going to hold my breath long term. The stuff like unlocks and equipment doesn't matter much to me (though it probably will lead to faster burnout since people won't be skinner-boxed WoW-style). It's the out-of-game cheats that worry me.

Worst comes to worst, we've got a pretty decent list of people here, so it might be possible to avoid pubs if it comes down to it.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I just want to know why Mass Effect has never featured a hoverboard. They have the tech right there!

tony hawk styled minigame with dual revenants instead of mako/firestorm missions?

Bonus points for doing tricks while headshotting dudes

with devil may cry styled pop up descriptions and style meter!
    BITCHIN! SMOOOOOTH! HUSK-O-RIFIC!
    "We've been up all night, but that was worth it!"
    navy4_thumb.jpg

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Zaeed was the sole survivor of his high school prom

Zaeed isn't a man. He has no age. He's a force, like gravity. He's a part of the universe, an inherent construct of reality. When the universe was young there was heat and order. Then the laws of physics were born; first there was electromagnetism, then nuclear force and friction. Then Zaeed.

He surrounds us all, without him the universe as we know it would cease to exist. Zaeed is what you experience when you go to bed at night for the very last time, utterly content that your legacy is secured. Zaeed is what happens when a father puts a hand on his son's shoulder with pride and love. When two enemy soldiers meet face to face on the field of battle, it is Zaeed in their eyes that causes them to reflect on human dignity and suffering. When a wife stands over her husbands grave and screams to the heavens that she will avenge his death, it is Zaeed that gives her purpose.

Zaeed is all around, as much a shaper of worlds as time and space. You cannot fight against Zaeed any more than you can fight entropy.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Zaeed isn't a man. He has no age. He's a force, like gravity. He's a part of the universe, an inherent construct of reality. When the universe was young there was heat and order. Then the laws of physics were born; first there was electromagnetism, then nuclear force and friction. Then Zaeed.

He surrounds us all, without him the universe as we know it would cease to exist. Zaeed is what you experience when you go to bed at night for the very last time, utterly content that your legacy is secured. Zaeed is what happens when a father puts a hand on his son's shoulder with pride and love. When two enemy soldiers meet face to face on the field of battle, it is Zaeed in their eyes that causes them to reflect on human dignity and suffering. When a wife stands over her husbands grave and screams to the heavens that she will avenge his death, it is Zaeed that gives her purpose.

Zaeed is all around, as much a shaper of worlds as time and space. You cannot fight against Zaeed any more than you can fight entropy.

Zaeed fought entropy once.

Not a day goes by that he doesn't remember the screaming, but at least he came back in one piece.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

I do and will not subscribe to this wussy version of Zaeed that you paint!
    Zaeed cares not for legacy, for pride, for love, for dignity or suffering.
    Zaeed is vengeance incarnate.
    Zaeed is about surviving all and any odds!
    A Bear Grylls dressed as Lady Justice!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    150 is supposed to be the upper limit in Mass Effect, roughly equivalent to our 100. Shepard says humans are lucky to make it to 150, rather than it being the average. So if we use 70 as our current average the Space Average would be 105. Zaeed's "40" would be 60, which seems more reasonable.

PNk1Ml4.png

Ray Mears would kick ten shits out of Bear Grylls. Bear Grylls is a phoney and a liar.

Ray Mears used to train actual soldiers. He's literally killed men with his bare hands.

While Bear Grylls spends his time in hotels between shooting days, Ray Mears builds a house out of snow and invites the crew to come and stay with him.

When the head of the ESA was asked what he would take with him as a luxury on a two year trip to Mars, he said he'd bring Ray Mears.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Damn, really glad I ordered a hard copy of the CE about a month ago. You can't find this thing anywhere.

Also, despite my relative inability with dual sticks, I'm seriously considering grabbing this for the Xbox as well. Very fun to play with my friends.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

Ray Mears would kick ten shits out of Bear Grylls. Bear Grylls is a phoney and a liar.

Ray Mears used to train actual soldiers. He's literally killed men with his bare hands.

While Bear Grylls spends his time in hotels between shooting days, Ray Mears builds a house out of snow and invites the crew to come and stay with him.

When the head of the ESA was asked what he would take with him as a luxury on a two year trip to Mars, he said he'd bring Ray Mears.

Ray would build a hotel with just some bamboo and a knife.

Hell he did that one time. Chandelier, table and a load of beds.

That man is awesome.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    PHEW

Caught up on this fucker.

I feel like I should treat myself to something for this.

I was expecting a bit more out of the KoA demo, but oh well. Got my gun and armor, and learned that I should in fact not buy that game.

I really hope that client-side unlock determination and credits thing are both fixed in retail, quickly. However, as I'll be playing with you fine gentlemen as much as I can, I'm not too worried.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sam Hullick just tweeted this piece of music from

(Minor plot spoiler in link)
    Mars, which I'm spoilering just to be safe.

Ray would build a hotel with just some bamboo and a knife.

Hell he did that one time. Chandelier, table and a load of beds.

That man is awesome.

The best thing about him is that he's totally likeable. There's no edge to him. He's charming and welcoming. He has no need or desire to make it seem like he's fighting against nature, or that he's struggled to survive against all odds. Even though he has.

One time he was in a helicopter crash. It just plummeted out of the sky and disintegrated. Covered in gasoline he crawls out of the wreckage, completely uninjured, and provides first aid to the rest of the passengers, building them a shelter until rescue arrived.

He is every Chuck Norris joke personified. This literally fucking happened.

What will a man that is adept at tracking foxes and sleeping under trees do on a red barren planet?
    After google image searching the man you name I come to the conclusion that he will most likely consume the crew's food rations in a quarter of their expected duration!
    TAKE YOUR PLUMP CHARLATAN ELSEWHERE, HERETIC!

What will a man that is adept at tracking foxes and sleeping under trees do on a red barren planet?
    After google image searching the man you name I come to the conclusion that he will most likely consume the crew's food rations in a quarter of their expected duration!

You should read his book. He's literally killed men with his bare hands. He used to train the SAS.

You know that movie where Benicio Del Toro smelts a knife in the woods that everyone said was dumb. Ray Mears literally did that on his show.

Ray Mears once made a campfire underwater.

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular

Zaeed is one of the horses of the apocalypse. His horseman is named 'Jessie'.

spoiler regarding the identity of the day-1 DL squadmate (which has become fairly common knowledge due to marketing).
    When you got to pick up the Prothean, you find Zaeed standing there. He pulls his face off Mission Impossible style to reveal himself as the last living Prothean. "The last purge was hell itself, I was the only one to make it out of that goddam cycle alive."

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
    Sam Hullick just tweeted this piece of music from

(Minor plot spoiler in link)
    Mars, which I'm spoilering just to be safe.

Getting nice ME1 electronica vibes here. ME2 was a bit too orchestral, though still good.

This is my favorite piece of Mass Effect music. An unused track for the galaxy map that was never put in, it manages to be both ethereal and dramatic at the same time. You really get a sense of emptiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwuOoQSZhBw&list=UUGRydkzbPQVAFyCnaghxFqQ&index=9&feature=plcp

(It's the youtube account of sam hulick fyi)

Holy crap, that is pretty awesome.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Garrus can't have been that green in Mass Effect 1, since he was the C-Sec officer in charge of the investigation into Saren - the Council's #1 SPECTRE.

That's not a dossier that you give the new guy.

I thought C-Sec was trying to bury the investigation into Saren, which is why Garrus teams up with you in the first place? I can totally see the higher-ups giving the new guy that assignment if they don't want it to be finished.

Wasn't Garrus in line to be a Spectre as well?

He was considered as a candidate, but his dad's pretty high up in the military and hates Spectres so he put the kibosh on it.
    You don't become a candidate as a green boy.

I was under the impression that he was a candidate to go to the Turian Spectre training academy, where out of the hundreds that train, only the top few might get an actual spectre nod.
    It's impressive, but it's not like he was outside the council chamber about to get the ceremony and his dad stopped it.

Yeah Garrus is nothing special. He didn't even go to the academy, he was just considered for it.

PNk1Ml4.png

You should read his book. He's literally killed men with his bare hands. He used to train the SAS.

You know that movie where Benicio Del Toro smelts a knife in the woods that everyone said was dumb. Ray Mears literally did that on his show.

Ray Mears once made a campfire underwater.

Ok.
    No where does the internet document Ray Mears having been in any branch of the armed forces.
    B. Grylls also instructed SAS/SBB troops.
    If by "killed a man with his bare hands" you mean "sent an ill equipped student to their demise" I'd buy it.

On a more honest note, I'm not particularly bothered by either TV-survival-personality. As long as they're promoting outdoor activities and getting fat kids off the sofa and outdoors they're aces in my book.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Who would win in a fight? Zaeed or Sir Issac Newton?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited February 2012
    (stupid double postin' forums... don't try to post and save a draft at the same time next time dumb forum!)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

THIS QUESTION HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED!

Sir Isaac Newton explains mass effect accelerated projectiles!
    Zaeed sustained a head injury with a round entering his right eye and exiting the rear of his skull!
    This event that would slay any lesser entity, but not Zaeed! It was an inconvenience that did nothing but enrage him!

Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space.

But we're not in space... are we?

• jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular

Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space.

But we're not in space... are we?

Technically speaking, we are.

Newton: 1
    Massani: 0

edited February 2012

THIS QUESTION HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED!

Sir Isaac Newton explains mass effect accelerated projectiles!
    Zaeed sustained a head injury with a round entering his right eye and exiting the rear of his skull!
    This event that would slay any lesser entity, but not Zaeed! It was an inconvenience that did nothing but enrage him!

And as we all know, rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

Etchwarts on
    Newton wins. Newton even managed to kill Shepard. Twice, potentially.

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    Newton wins. Newton even managed to kill Shepard. Twice, potentially.

But all that did was piss him/her off ;)

What I think is funny is that all the Cerberus guys in ME3 have rocket boots. The one exact thing which would have saved Shepard at the bad ending of ME2.

What I think is funny is that all the Cerberus guys in ME3 have rocket boots. The one exact thing which would have saved Shepard at the bad ending of ME2.

Yeah but no one was loyal so they wouldn't have reminded Shepard to bring them :P

You know what else would have helped?
    If the cripple had stayed in the freaking cockpit and piloted the ship closer to the rift instead of coming to provide cripple covering fire, breaking his cripple arms in the process and dooming everyone else on the ship with his cripple idiocy.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Shepard should have just charged Joker.

s7Imn5J.png
    edited February 2012
    WHOA

Gamestop posted screenshots from the day 1 DLC on Facebook. There's a few of them, but this one's the most interesting to me.

Spoilered for image, also potential legitmate spoilers even if you already know what the DLC is
    Good in-game view of the squadmate, and COLLECTORS.
    426447_378891418797457_110455108974424_1410808_242143434_n.jpg

EDIT: The image isn't displaying quite right, but if you just open it in another tab you should be fine.

Etchwarts on
    Shepard should have just charged Joker.

But there was a gap and this was ME2, not ME3.