As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Awesome

I love Dan Slott so much

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    1329857341.jpg
    1329942083.jpg
    1330035125.jpg
    1330112453.jpg
    1330112455.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Dell'otto is so good it's not funny.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    Seriously, the dude is an art monster.

CYpGAPn.png
    Del'Otto is an art messiah

And I am so excited for Ends of the Earth. I think it is going to be pretty damn impressive, given what we have seen from Slott so far

edited February 2012
    Accursed forums

Solar on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    sigh, on one hand I miss having amazon prime because i never had to buy extra stuff just to get something I needed.
    On the other hand, with Prime I wouldn't have needed $23 worth of product to avoid paying $5 shipping on a $2 dollar item.

And I wouldn't have taken that opportunity to order the Spider Island book. It looks pretty fun though. Iron Fist is on the cover with a spider bandana so I'm onboard with it already.

Spider-Man was really good this week
    Come with me if you want to live.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Venom was great too
    WWE AM SMMASHH FOR VENGGEANCE

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Too bad they couldn't work a "bub" into there somewhere.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    It's weird, I felt Johnny was almost too frat boy in ASM. Not really that enjoyable for me.

huntresssig.jpg
    Johnny has been fratboy forever

CYpGAPn.png
    Eww. Give me back Hickman/Epting distinguished soldier Johnny Storm.

huntresssig.jpg
    I can see what Arivia is saying

Johnny always was a frat boy, but in FF/F4 Hickman made him more adult and mature, a veteran soldier

It feels like Slott is sort of only going half way there. Which is okay if you like Johnny like he was, but not if you weren't really a fan.

Yeah. I'm pretty much only picking up these two issues to see how this plot thread out of FF ties up, and it just seems weird.

huntresssig.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    The thing I've always liked about Johnny is right in the issue, though. The way he can just go from ridiculous to serious in a second. Even Hickman's run he was pretty wild and frat-boy crazy at times, but he always goes into serious mode when it's time.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I can see what Arivia is saying

Johnny always was a frat boy, but in FF/F4 Hickman made him more adult and mature, a veteran soldier

It feels like Slott is sort of only going half way there. Which is okay if you like Johnny like he was, but not if you weren't really a fan.

Johnny is a character who goes in cycles. Just when one writer has made him mature another will revert him back to being a jerkass to start his character development over from the scratch. Rinse & repeat. It's the same for Iceman.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I thought that Slott was trying to show that Johnny has regressed to hide from the trauma of what happened in the Negative Zone.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I think being with Pete does play up Johnny's fratboy-ness, though. He can be super serious when the world is still about to end, but Peter's like his little brother and they're a bit immature with each other ("Here, hold my Annhilus.")

I thought that Slott was trying to show that Johnny has regressed to hide from the trauma of what happened in the Negative Zone.
    Except he straight up does the opposite of that what with Peter saying "Ah yeah, he is super serious and soldier-esque sometimes now."

Johnny never regressed, even in Hickman's FF he was being classic Johnny, although maybe to a lesser extent due to the circumstances of the stories Hickman told.

CYpGAPn.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I demand he be super serious and no fun at all forever

but no really the last ASM issue was awesome

1331939215.jpg
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

CYpGAPn.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Venom 13.3 ended on an awesome note.
    The 4 heroes all agree to a pact that makes them Mephisto's "special forces" or something similar in order to get back to Vegas and kick Blackheart's ass.

Haha, that sounds great!

I thought that was kind of stupid, actually.
    Logic dictates that they should have told Mephisto to fuck off. He needed them way more then they needed him, comparatively speaking. If Blackheart got what he wanted then Mephisto would have been effectively dethroned, what with Blackheart setting up a new hell realm on Earth and all. So that whole "torture you forever" thing was kind of an empty threat.

Archonex on
    Archonex wrote: »
    The 4 heroes all agree to a pact that makes them Mephisto's "special forces" or something similar in order to get back to Vegas and kick Blackheart's ass.

Haha, that sounds great!

Logic dictates that they should have told Mephisto to fuck off. He needed them way more then they needed him, comparatively speaking. If Blackheart got what he wanted then Mephisto would have been effectively dethroned, what with Blackheart setting up a new hell realm on Earth and all.
    And they would be dead and in Hell.

They had no real bargaining power, meanwhile Mephisto is still Mephisto and insanely powerful.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2012
    Archonex wrote: »

Haha, that sounds great!

Logic dictates that they should have told Mephisto to fuck off. He needed them way more then they needed him, comparatively speaking. If Blackheart got what he wanted then Mephisto would have been effectively dethroned, what with Blackheart setting up a new hell realm on Earth and all.
    And they would be dead and in Hell.

They had no real bargaining power, meanwhile Mephisto is still Mephisto and insanely powerful.
    Not for long, at least. Not until Hell got relocated onto Earth in Blackhearts control, it seemed.

The heroes should have flipped him the bird and told him to ressurect them, or prepare to be rendered obsolete. Mephisto, knowing him, would have agreed. Probably would have gotten a laugh out of it after the fact once Blackheart ended up back in his "care". That was just Mephisto taking advantage of the situation to try and get more out of the situation then what he needed to win that particular case. Which is pretty in character. What wasn't in character was a few other characters actually not realizing that.

But then, we wouldn't get a mini-series with Mephisto as mission control, if that happened. Mephisto has been on a roll lately, in terms of awesome scenes and character development. I need to find scans of his appearance in the X-Men series lately.

Archonex on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the gutters isn't funny at all

it's made by misogynistic creep Ryan Sohmer

edited March 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the gutters isn't funny at all

it's made by misogynistic creep Ryan Sohmer

I had no idea. I don't follow comics that closely. I still find the joke pretty funny, and it has nothing to do with gender at all, so that's hardly something that's relevant. Shadowlands Daredevil was a grade A douchebag at times.

Also, the images got cross-posted to this topic by accident. I meant to put them in the awesome images thread. Teaches me to have two windows on the same site open at once.

Archonex on
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    My lord ASM 682 was fantastic, also new reader friendly!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't say enough positive stuff about Slott's run on ASM. I think it's going to go down as one of the best.

I love proactive Peter.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Are we allowed to talk about Scarlett Spider in here? I've been quietly reading it but haven't been too impressed until this most recent issue. They've started to build a supporting cast around Kaine which is making it feel more like a story worth telling. The dynamic of things actually reminds me a bit of Daredevil.

It's definitely not the best book out on the shelves but it has potential.

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Are we allowed to talk about Scarlett Spider in here? I've been quietly reading it but haven't been too impressed until this most recent issue. They've started to build a supporting cast around Kaine which is making it feel more like a story worth telling. The dynamic of things actually reminds me a bit of Daredevil.

I'm picking it up and I feel the same way. It feels like it could really go somewhere, or they could hang onto the 'angrier Spiderman' vibe too much and not let it be unique.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Mr Pink wrote: »

I'm picking it up and I feel the same way. It feels like it could really go somewhere, or they could hang onto the 'angrier Spiderman' vibe too much and not let it be unique.

I agree with the bit about potential, but I can actually see the momentum they're building taking Cain's character to the places that we want him to go. It's a good direction, and I don't think they're going to keep the "angry" spider-man as a crutch for his character for much longer.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I've actually liked SS since the beginning, as the angle of being welcomed in the city, and then having to dial back the violence is an interesting idea. Instead of being the too violent hero who scares people, the city is kind of acting the way the Marvel universe should have by now in regards to heroes, almost like the old DC way the people liked the heroes.

And I'm glad Yost made a point to have Kaine crash and burn in terms of realizing Houston isn't close to Manhattan in terms of skyscraper webswinging, and has to adapt. Scarlet Spider-Mobile ho!

from the sound of things i should pick up the scarlet spider trade when it's out

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think it's actually been better than Venom has been recently, at least since Venom beat up Captain America with simple symbiote arrows.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Really? Better than Venom/Hulk Spirit of Vengance?

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Scarlet is really good, and I think it's building a stronger supporting cast for Kaine than Venom has for Flash.

The Spider-Man line is firing on all cylinders currently.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    Name a single thing Marvel does that ISN'T firing on all cylinders right now. Go on. I'm waiting.

huntresssig.jpg
    anita blake

I WENT THERE

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Name a single thing Marvel does that ISN'T firing on all cylinders right now. Go on. I'm waiting.

Avengers and New Avengers haven't been bad, but they haven't been good either. Gischler's X-Men is complete 'meh'.

That's all I got.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.