As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So, what are some good drinks for winter besides Irish coffee and eggnog?

Glühwein.

Get a bottle of red, I used Bogle's Petit Syrah most recently. Cheap and fruity is best.

First, cut an orange in half, stick cloves in the rinds and squeeze the juice into a pot
    Add maybe a cup of water (8ish ozs)
    Add about 2/3 cup of sugar, a couple cinnamon sticks, some nutmeg, maybe some allspice
    Simmer until everything is mixed together and the sugar is dissolved, then add the wine

Bring to a simmer, but don't let it boil, then just turn the heat down to low and let it stay warm for about twenty minutes or so.

Serve warm in mugs. It's sooo yum.

E: To store it, just strain it, and use a funnel to pour it back in the wine bottle. I like to make several bottles' worth at once and take it around to friends throughout the holiday. It'll keep for a couple weeks in the fridge, and you just toss it in a put to warm it back up.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Rum, or rum and cider.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Toddies, buttered rum, and ciders are the traditional go to drinks for winter. Then you get regional stuff like chica morada, wassails, etc.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • inky13112inky13112 Registered User regular
    Looking to get a friend of mine some tequila for Christmas, but I don't have very much money, any suggestions?

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    The regular milagro in the tall bottles are quite a steal at around $20. I think you can find Herradura's Antiguo for under $30. We use the latter as our house tequila, and it does the job wonderfully. You can make a fantastic tequila on the cheap by forgoing cointreau and using 2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz lime, and 1/2 oz agave nectar. Pretty good, calorie wise as well!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    So, funny story. The head honcho at my restaurant owns several very respected latin restaurants and (I'm betting) uses his clout to buy into up-and-coming mescals and tequilas to get a piece of their profits. We always end up with boxes and boxes of the stuff he's partnering into, but I usually hate the crap. Especially because I've built up a good reputation with respectable spirits I love, like fidencio and siembra azul.

This tequila that we got in the other day was particularly offensive. I mean, just look at the bottle:

Riazul_Tequila_Reposado.png

It looks like it should be in a rap video, not a well respected tequila joint.

So I knew it was bad before I even tasted it. It is clearly aimed at non-tequila drinkers. When you open it up, vanilla fills the room. It tastes incredibly woody and floral, with a heavy chamomile note. I knew I had to get rid of the stuff, so I made a cocktail to push it.

Tlacuache -- Chamomile/Thyme syrup, lemon juice, abadía da cova, pulque, riazul añejo tequila

It was actually really good! It goes to show that there's no such thing as an unusable ingredient. And wouldn't you know it, but that night the owner of the tequila stopped by and loved it to. Here's hoping I can get it picked up as a national drink and make a shitload of cash of it.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    that bottle looks like it should contain cologne, not a drink.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    an old black man's cologne

Organichu wrote:

Well, it's decided. I'm wearing that tequila.

• CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    I was thinking sun screen, but it also looks a bit like lipstick.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    it could also be sexy personal lubricant

it could also be sexy personal lubricant

Well, yeah. Tequila.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    3-2-1 works for daquris, where 1 is simple syrup. Great sunday discovery.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

yeah i think i have a few bottles actually.

steam_sig.png
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Anyone have anything set aside that they rang in the New Year with? I had a bottle of Cuir from The Bruery. 14.5% old ale and you are definitely aware of that percentage about halfway into the bomber.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I got a three pack of tiny Patrons. Is there a preferred way to sip this?

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    you could make tiny margaritas

some ice and fresh lime juice would be good too

Has anyone else seen this:

bud-american-ale.jpg

Have they tried it? I'm actually kind of curious.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Has anyone else seen this:

bud-american-ale.jpg

Have they tried it? I'm actually kind of curious.

That's been out for a few years now.

You don't remember all the commercials ~2 years back?

edited February 2012
    Given the only thing my cable gets used for is news and Archer, no. Also it only just recently showed up a few weeks ago at the liquor store I normally go to.

Quid on
    So what is everyone favorite st paddys cocktail.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:

Irish Whisky?

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The one time i've actually drank because of st patrick's day I kept it stereotypical with (brand name*) irish car bombs.

*Guinness, Jameson's, and Bailey's

CptKemzik on
    Im thinking mint chocolate chip green milkshakes with irish whiskey, baileys green food coloring.

Also guiness floats.

• Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Had some of this last night at a bar. Really interesting light Belgian flavor profile. Really weird looking bottle though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_(beer)

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • thepotato232thepotato232 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Irish Whisky?

Remember, kids:

Irish = WhiskEy
    Scotch = Whisky

/themoreyouknow

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Irish Whisky?

Remember, kids:

Irish = WhiskEy
    Scotch = Whisky

/themoreyouknow

I don't care how it's spelled, if I'm not paying for it

edited February 2012
    mrt144 wrote:

A Shamrock:

2 ounces cream (or milk, but i wouldn't go thinner than half-and-half), 1 ounce green creme de menthe, 1 ounce irish whiskey (or bourbon, for the Irish-Americans)

shaken vigorously with ice for a green, foamy drink

i like to "garnish" with an After Eight mint stick

i also like to make a hybrid of a shamrock and a grasshopper by putting in an ounce of creme de cacao as well.

Evil Multifarious on
    so i want to talk about bourbon.

i recently got a bottle of Van Winkle 12-year, and then hastily purchased another one. then i hemmed and hawed about dropping the cash on more, and in the interim they all sold out in my city.

unfortunately, the absolutely fantastic quality of this goddamn thing has made it difficult for me to drink lower-shelf stuff that I used to really enjoy, like Bulleit or Woodford Reserve.

My local liquor store has gotten a bunch of new bourbon and American whiskey in general lately, and I'm looking for stuff that I will still enjoy now that I have been exposed to something really nice. I've got Booker's, Baker's, Bulleit, Van Winkle 10 and 12, Eagle Rare, Blanton's Special Single Reserve (so overpriced), and a bit of Jefferson's on my shelf right now. I'm trying to decide what to pick up next that's available - Ridgemont Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Old Forester, Basil Hayden's, Blanton's Original, Four Roses, and there's some Rittenhouse rye there too (they also have Maker's Mark and MM46, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and a few others that I've already tried).

I did find a ridiculously expensive single-barrel El Dorado demerara rum, too, which I think you could drizzle over pancakes if you were wealthy enough to spare it.

my fave bourbon is w.l. weller wheated bourbon

it's classic bourbon flavor, but the wheat gives it a nice crispy snap and structure

W.L.%20Weller%2019.JPG

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    You might want to try Glennfiddich 15 year.

Finally restocked bottles of Knob Creek and Johnnie Walker. Needed something at the house that for those random times where there was no interest in drinking beers.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    As a sidenote, the worst bottle of whiskey ever purchased was Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey.

Ashame, I love Rogue's Dead Guy Ale and saw the whiskey. Never will I assume a producer of good brew can easily create whiskey/bourbon that is on the same quality level. Of course, I haven't noticed breweries also playing the part of a distiller.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The only spirit I've tried from them is Hazelnut Rum and that was halfway decent. That's good to know about the whiskey, tho.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Oh hi booze thread!

I'm a fan of Buffalo Trace. Good bottle for the price. I also like Basil's, but it's a little bit too light for my taste. Still good though, if that's your thing.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to let everyone know that The Kraken may make the tastiest rum & coke I've ever had.

0Qcgu.jpg

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I just wanted to let everyone know that The Kraken may make the tastiest rum & coke I've ever had.

It is fairly popular in these parts

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    It's very tasty.

AND, whenever you open the bottle, you get to loudly proclaim, "UNLEASH the Kraken!!" :D

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    It's very tasty.

AND, whenever you open the bottle, you get to loudly proclaim, "UNLEASH the Kraken!!" :D

After 3 or 4 of them, I start yelling that after pretty much every mouthful.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    The Kraken isn't as good as Sailor Jerry. Although it does come in a great bottle.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Kraken makes for a good Dark and Stormy, though I hear purists stick to Goslings.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu