As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

I hate seeing videos of the places people like you work because I'm all :cry: I wish I worked there.

Nothing can cheer me up now.
    Except playing GW2 this weekend... :winky:

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    hey WaM you said you're one of the people working on the Marketplace, right?
    I just read about it and it sounds awesome

Yep, that's us. I'm extremely proud of it, but I can't talk about it yet.

well that is a good endorsement!

the thing that I saw where I was like "whoa" was that there are going to be smartphone apps that you can use to buy items from other players

where was this posted?

Probably somewhere it shouldn't be; or made up.

It's a nice idea if it's a thing though, btw.

488W936.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Corehealer wrote:

the thing that I saw where I was like "whoa" was that there are going to be smartphone apps that you can use to buy items from other players

where was this posted?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME!

totally unsourced and probably made up

ctrl f for marketplace

unintentional on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Corehealer wrote:

where was this posted?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME!

totally unsourced and probably made up

ctrl f for marketplace

That's...

That made my autistic ego feel bad... so much info and custom graphics and images.

Granted, some of it might be incorrect and some of it's clearly redundant and holy shit is it long but... damn.

I take pride in his lack of a wall of erections though; no human element. Sloppy.

EDIT: I'd like to know where he got the dynamic event maps. He seems to have a lot of ethier insider info or he's very good at making shit look convincing. While also being bad at grammer.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    All of that iOS/web marketplace stuff comes from this article:http://www.arena.net/blog/gaming-outside-the-game-rick-ellis-talks-the-guild-wars-2-extended-experience

I have been waiting for more information about this because I've wanted this kind of functionality for a long time.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    All of that iOS/web marketplace stuff comes from this article:http://www.arena.net/blog/gaming-outside-the-game-rick-ellis-talks-the-guild-wars-2-extended-experience

I have been waiting for more information about this because I've wanted this kind of functionality for a long time.

Let's pretend I went back in time and didn't forget to add that to the OP, and it's been there hidden away in the link section since the first thread.

488W936.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Yeah, was about to say wasn't that one of the things they talked about in their mobile demonstration a while back?

I'd love to hear an update on that, WaM, if you could get in touch with Mr. Ellis about it that'd be awesome. :)

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Suprising to see that the beta achieved
    mikemyers.jpg
    One
    million signups!

I'm expecting retail to at least double that in sales in the first few weeks.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If arena.net does 100,000 NDA signup that 10% of everyone who signed up!

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Suprising to see that the beta achieved
    mikemyers.jpg
    One
    million signups!

I'm expecting retail to at least double that in sales in the first few days of preorders.

ftfy

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I would guess more than double. I wonder if CE sale demand will be in the millions.

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lets count. gotta kill time somehow. I'm 1.

Topia on
  • Options

488W936.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    i am also 1

edit: wait we did this wrong

815165 on
  • Options
    Do it right! Your 3.

488W936.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Does that make me 4 or 5? Oh god

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I'm 1 and so's my wife!

Seriously, let's not do this.

Looking over the skill calculators, engineer looks like it's going to be my first choice for class. Engineer, Medic and Pyro all rolled into one class? Hell yes please ANet.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    eight

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    I'm 1 and so's my wife!

Looking over the skill calculators, engineer looks like it's going to be my first choice for class. Engineer, Medic and Pyro all rolled into one class? Hell yes please ANet.

They get a hostile pull and a bunch of zone control mechanics.
    Gonna be pullin people into flames every day

• Options
    Throw a bit of Solly in there too. Rocket jump! Sort of.

• Options
    I might not buy the Collector's edition, but if there's one above the regular copy that doesn't cost as much as the CE I might get that instead.
    The semi-Collector's Edition.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Definitely getting the CE if I can afford it. Will probably be the only time I do a CE.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Looking over the skill choices, it strikes me very much that I'm thinking more in terms of action games than RPGs. Well played ANet, didn't realise I was doing that until just now.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I was talking about the actual beta with a co-worker who is a long time GW fanatic (but not really watching GW2 oddly enough).

We guesstimated that the first weekend event will probably only need 50k people to make a nice solid test. I mean, everything in the game is pretty much already working. Still needing polish and optimizing, but you don't need "tens of thousands" of players to do that!

One system that has NOT been tested (at all) is cross-server WvW and the WvW "sorting". The WvW that we saw for the press beta was on the "test" server so it really wasn't a situation where three "full" servers were connecting to a combined persistent area. I'm sure the server tech needs testing. So that's going to be at least three full servers of players.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the server "sorting" thing. You know, where servers of similar skill/score get sorted and matched up with each other for the next two weeks. So in order to test that, you'd want at least two clusters of three servers each. But three would be better. Any more than that and it starts getting difficult to mobilize the hardware fast enough. And it's just a test, not a rollout! So figure nine servers total.

Assume 5k players per server and you're going to have about 10% of the people you invite that have scheduled vacations, illness, or other obligations that prevent them from playing that weekend. That comes to 50k invitations, or about 5% of the signups.

Of those, probably 10k will be selected specifically for low-end hardware (with about 1500 actually expected to provide feedback), another 10k selected specifically for super-high-end hardware, and 30k randomly selected.

We're estimating our chances of selection at about 3%.

26904.png
  • Options
    It won't be the end of the world for me if I don't get into the invitational. If there ends up being open beta weekends at some point I'll get into that, but if they skip them then that just means retail will come out sooner, hopefully.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    4, 5, and probably 6 here

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    After looking over a bunch of videos from the Beta, I'm now really interested in the thief. Looks like fun very positionally dependent play.

Engineer and warrior are also edging up there. Warrior special mechanic just seems a bit dull to me though. Necro one too somewhat and I usually love pet/debuff classes.

Still not that interested in the elementalist or the ranger. But I know I'll end up buying more slots and giving them a try at some point.

Now too decide on race/class combos...

shryke on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I was talking about the actual beta with a co-worker who is a long time GW fanatic (but not really watching GW2 oddly enough).

We guesstimated that the first weekend event will probably only need 50k people to make a nice solid test. I mean, everything in the game is pretty much already working. Still needing polish and optimizing, but you don't need "tens of thousands" of players to do that!

One system that has NOT been tested (at all) is cross-server WvW and the WvW "sorting". The WvW that we saw for the press beta was on the "test" server so it really wasn't a situation where three "full" servers were connecting to a combined persistent area. I'm sure the server tech needs testing. So that's going to be at least three full servers of players.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the server "sorting" thing. You know, where servers of similar skill/score get sorted and matched up with each other for the next two weeks. So in order to test that, you'd want at least two clusters of three servers each. But three would be better. Any more than that and it starts getting difficult to mobilize the hardware fast enough. And it's just a test, not a rollout! So figure nine servers total.

Assume 5k players per server and you're going to have about 10% of the people you invite that have scheduled vacations, illness, or other obligations that prevent them from playing that weekend. That comes to 50k invitations, or about 5% of the signups.

Of those, probably 10k will be selected specifically for low-end hardware (with about 1500 actually expected to provide feedback), another 10k selected specifically for super-high-end hardware, and 30k randomly selected.

We're estimating our chances of selection at about 3%.

I'm thinking they might do mass invites for the Beta, slap everyone into a server that doesn't let them out into the PvE world and just tell them "Go to WvW and test that shit!".

• Options
    Enig wrote: »
    Definitely getting the CE if I can afford it. Will probably be the only time I do a CE.

Mine is a 2 in the sense that my GF will probably grab a CE like she did for Cata. I've only done SC2 as a CE for a few reasons and I felt it was worthwhile.

This CE will be a hundred times more justified then ethier of those.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Huggles wrote: »
    I'm 1 and so's my wife!

naengwen wrote: »

And the soldier

And the demoman

And Data from The Goonies

And the... well, the engineer

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    The only other CE I've bought was the one for Warhammer Online.

I doubt this one will become a doorstop.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

That is an oddly hilarious mental image.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

That is an oddly hilarious mental image.

I'ts huge. It makes a great doorstop.

Edit: I wish I were kidding.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Making the beta work with so many people applied is going to be insane.

WaM, what you guys need to totally do is hold 10 beta weekends over the next two and a half months. Each day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) you rotate a group of roughly 10,000 people in and out. That way everyone gets to play eventually!

...holy crap, that totally wouldn't work, but that really puts things into perspective. Dear god.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Orders of magnitude, friend...orders of magnitude.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I've got an idea, put everyone into the beta, but assign each person a day of the weak. That way you get 150k ish people on every day! Woo!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Oooh...or run a very effective and efficient beta, launch the game and...LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY ALREADY!!!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Oooh...or run a very effective and efficient beta, launch the game and...LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY ALREADY!!!
    Beta be damned, I'm ready to give them my money now!

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    when seeing WvW in text, i can only see it as WoW, just a habbit

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I hate you all so much for making me excited

My natural state is bitterness, this is unnatural

This discussion has been closed.