As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Oooh...or run a very effective and efficient beta, launch the game and...LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY ALREADY!!!
    Beta be damned, I'm ready to give them my money now!

I already emailed them my credit information with a demand that they take what they want then give me the game.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Ha..it's like the opposite of some of those developers that give the game away, only suggesting people pay what they think it's worth.

In GW2, we give Arenanet our credit cards, and they tell US.
    I so would if it meant I could play tomorrow.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    That MMO-champion forum link to that giant amazing post: How much of that is still accurate?

I'm reading about the things like the crafting professions, and how gathering nodes are spawned individually for each player (so if my friend and I both hit an iron vein, we each get materials from it) and I'm just wondering how much of this is still true because, y'know, it sounds too good! Being able to switch disciplines and still retain all of those discovered recipes and plans if I switch back to them? Being informed about the total number of possible discoveries I have by placing a material in the crafting window and it automatically checks my inventory?

Also, those mini-games sound like fun. It sounds like just about everything you've ever wanted in an MMO is being offered here. Dungeons providing loot tokens so you don't have to hit the same place 25 times. Instead, you just buy the weapon/armor piece you want from the token the boss dropped. I mean, I'm not the only one who's having a hard time believing this, right? And these aren't just proposed ideas that will come up in an expansion (re: Legacy in SWTOR), right? My mind is racing at all of this goodness.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The gathering thing is still true, being able to switch and keep your recipes and skill points is true.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    That MMO-champion forum link to that giant amazing post: How much of that is still accurate?

I'm reading about the things like the crafting professions, and how gathering nodes are spawned individually for each player (so if my friend and I both hit an iron vein, we each get materials from it) and I'm just wondering how much of this is still true because, y'know, it sounds too good! Being able to switch disciplines and still retain all of those discovered recipes and plans if I switch back to them? Being informed about the total number of possible discoveries I have by placing a material in the crafting window and it automatically checks my inventory?

Also, those mini-games sound like fun. It sounds like just about everything you've ever wanted in an MMO is being offered here. Dungeons providing loot tokens so you don't have to hit the same place 25 times. Instead, you just buy the weapon/armor piece you want from the token the boss dropped. I mean, I'm not the only one who's having a hard time believing this, right? And these aren't just proposed ideas that will come up in an expansion (re: Legacy in SWTOR), right? My mind is racing at all of this goodness.

It's all accurate. Hence why we have been here salivating for years at the prospect of one day actually possessing this game. And most of those design decisions you listed are pretty much common sense for anyone who's played a lot of MMOs and knows how they tick.

488W936.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Honestly? It's as if they're designing exactly the game for people who have jobs and can't grind 24/7 to keep up with their buddies, so there's sidekicking; or are on some other server, so you can visit that server; or generally can't stand the "industry standard" design.

I really hope GW2 shakes things up in the industry.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Reading through the WvW AMA and I'm glad that when servers are shuffled every week they take into account how well each server did, rank them, and then use that in the new sorting. Hopefully to make it constantly a close battle.

• RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Honestly? It's as if they're designing exactly the game for people who have jobs and can't grind 24/7 to keep up with their buddies, so there's sidekicking; or are on some other server, so you can visit that server; or generally can't stand the "industry standard" design.

They are designing the game to be fun by removing a lot of the aspects of previous and current MMOs that make those games not fun.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Gunner_Girl-600x337.jpg

New Blog post on the press beta roundup and the impressive beta signup showing: http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-wvw-and-beta

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited February 2012
    Question: Does this guy from the engineer reveal videos:
    engineer02.jpg

Look like this guy:
    trajan_mus_munchen1.JPG

It's a stretch, but I'd like to put my favourite Roman Emperor into the game. I think the CC is, if not Aion levels of detail, close enough to giving me the freedom to do so. Then I just need to pick a class for him... Thief maybe.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    All I know is one of the presets in the press beta is Clint Eastwood.

Xagar wrote: »
    All I know is one of the presets in the press beta is Clint Eastwood.

That would also be acceptable.

488W936.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Gunner_Girl-600x337.jpg

New Blog post on the press beta roundup and the impressive beta signup showing: http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-wvw-and-beta

World as Myth, did you get somebody to put that picture up just for me? Because that's the exact kind of outfit I was hoping for my thiefy to wear. <3

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • LethinatorLethinator Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

This is the reason I can (sort of) salivate over GW2 without feeling guilty. In the past I would spend countless hours farming for a single item in other MMOs, and that kind of crap really killed all my free time. I love gaming but I like having a life, too.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The only extensive farming I ever did in an MMO was sliver shadow form green farming in GW, which is an interesting challenge in itself.

It's kind of too bad it's gone now, but at least I won't have to worry so much about equipping myself because of crafting in gw2.

Xagar on
    edited February 2012
    I farmed Anzu in Sethekk Halls and got him as a mount after 126 attempts. It was not a fun experience, but it was, to me, worthwhile.

We more then likely won't really feel like we're grinding for things in GW2 because of the game's design. I imagine there will be plenty to strive for, but it'll be an adventure rather then a chore, and the feeling of vindication and enjoyment upon acquiring said items will be the same if not better because of it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    Did the magician's epic quest in Everquest back in either the Kunark or Velious expansion. I can't even tell you how many days I was in South Karana killing mobs to spawn Quillmane and weeks were lost to all the other bits and pieces. In WoW it was all sorts of intentional time sinks as well.

Adventure rather than chore sounds so much better. Can't say I ever want to see rep and rare mob grinds ever again.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Gunner_Girl-600x337.jpg

World as Myth, did you get somebody to put that picture up just for me? Because that's the exact kind of outfit I was hoping for my thiefy to wear. <3

That's the Engineer example outfit in the character creator. Theoretically they can wear the same thing.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Did the magician's epic quest in Everquest back in either the Kunark or Velious expansion. I can't even tell you how many days I was in South Karana killing mobs to spawn Quillmane and weeks were lost to all the other bits and pieces. In WoW it was all sorts of intentional time sinks as well.

Adventure rather than chore sounds so much better. Can't say I ever want to see rep and rare mob grinds ever again.

It's funny, cause to unlock stuff in GW2, from the Hall of Monuments in GW, is such a ridiculous rep and rare mob grind. Some of the titles required take so much time, it's absolutely soul shattering.

Quintessin on
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I thought about picking up GW1, which I never got a chance to play, to do the HoM stuff but nope. Though it does seem like some of it isn't so bad, from what I've been reading.

Qanamil on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    To me the difference is that any grind in GW1 is entirely optional, and provides only cosmetic benefits. This is also true of the HoM stuff.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I just loaded up GW1 today when after being immersed in GW2 news, I was like "I should go back and do some HoM stuff!".

Firstly, holy shit I don't think I can do this. I love some of their ideas but so much of GW1 is just kinda crap. The interface and the play and everything is so damn convoluted and cludgy.

And secondly, trying to read up on HoM guides is like reading another fucking moon language no one ever sees fit to explain. I don't know what I'm even supposed to do.

shryke on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Getting 30 HoM points was far less grinding than anything noteworthy I ever did in WoW, a very casual MMO.

1208768734831.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Getting 30 HoM points was far less grinding than anything noteworthy I ever did in WoW, a very casual MMO.

yeah i already had like 26 points when they announced it so i bought a bunch of minipets and got to 30

edited February 2012
    I had about 12 points when the HoM rewards were announced and that was just from doing the campaigns. I think so far the only grind I have done at all is a bit of farming for cash to get elite armor sets to display.

Currently at 16 points, and when I get 2 more armor sets and do a run of Sorrow's Furnace, I'll be at 25 points. After that I will be satisfied. Might go for a few more points if I feel like it.

Some fairly easy ones, assuming one has all the chapters:
    Campaign completion: 2 points
    Oppressor weapon (War in Kryta): 2 points
    Minipet: 1 point
    Black Moa Chick mini: 1 point (2 if it is your only minipet)
    Hero statue (w/ armor upgrade) (M.O.X. is easiest if you have all the campaigns): 1 point
    Animal companion (lvl20): 1 point
    Black Moa pet: 1 point (2 if it is your only pet)
    Elite armor: 1 point
    Elite kurzick/luxon armor: 1 point
    3x elite armors (one more in addition to the previous two): 1 point

Otherwise, it's best to try and fill each display with the least effort possible (except weapons, that one is ridiculous). You get 2-3 points for each full display.

You also get 3 points to start with automatically.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    SIDEKICKING?!

holy shit, having to keep leveling pace and fucking reorient life to play at the same time as people is what killed SWTOR for me

Why doesnt every MMO have sidekicking

GW2 is basically a long string of "Why doesn't every MMO have _______?"

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SIDEKICKING?!

holy shit, having to keep leveling pace and fucking reorient life to play at the same time as people is what killed SWTOR for me

I've been wondering about this on and off myself. I'd see all these people I'd be quite happy to play with, only they were level x and I was level y and my alts were levels d through p.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MEN INTO POSITION QUICKLYMEN INTO POSITION QUICKLY Registered User regular
    oh man I just want to be rolling around exploring the world in GW2 right now. All the cities and environments look fantastic and I just want to cruise around, check everything out, find all the cool shit.

man.

Z0YfY.jpg
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Gunner_Girl-600x337.jpg

That's the Engineer example outfit in the character creator. Theoretically they can wear the same thing.

Excellent. I was just amused that I posted about wanting to see a female character wearing a cool trenchcoat and a couple days later... bam! It's like Guild Wars 2 can't help but fulfil our personal fantasies. ;)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    SIDEKICKING?!

Cause Subscription based MMOs need you to put that time in to level so you keep playing :D

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Ah, yeah. Dats der bunny. I keep forgetting that making the product entertaining and accessible is actually vetoed in the design documents.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Every meeting is basically the lead designer shouting "Timesinks! Timesinks!! TIMESINKS!!!" at the team.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    It's worth rolling an elementalist just so you and your elementalist buddies can go into tornado form after jumping into the huge mass of people attacking a keep in WvW. Then enjoy the show as 50 people go flying in all directions

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Guild Wars 2 is going to give City of Heroes/Villains a run for its money in terms of quality of user life. If I could remember all of the cool things they did to improve your experience I could say which game was better.

edited February 2012
    Golly wog, yeah. CoX turned out to be very pleasant to play. Got a bunch of dudes all raring to do whatever? Cool, go have fun. No, we don't much care what your level is. Go nuts. Off with you. Highest level in the group changed? No problem, rezone and the mobs will change to match.

The initial sidekick system as I remember it did not impress, but the current incarnation is awesome. I'm really pleased by the notion that I won't have to say, "Well darn, dude. I'd love to run that with you, but none of my six alts are in your level range any more. I could drag you along in a not-terribly-fun steamroll on my main if you want loot?"

That brings to mind something I'm not clear on. Is fast travel between zones handled by an Asura gate network or some such? I think I knew the answer at some point but the information got eaten by a grue.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Basil wrote:
    That brings to mind something I'm not clear on. Is fast travel between zones handled by an Asura gate network or some such? I think I knew the answer at some point but the information got eaten by a grue.

I've seen a "Teleport" tooltip on the map in some videos.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I want to ride my asura golem across zones. Rocket boots, please

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've seen someone going through a portal not terribly dissimilar to those in GW1, however this was obviously going to a completely different zone.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Reading about the Market just grew my raging GW2 wang another couple feet. I'm hope it's legit.

Actually being able to go to the market and put in item requests? Holy fuck! Do you need a +3 Sword of Wang Waving, but it's not on the market? Put a bid up for 10,000 gold for anyone who can make it, go to bed and wake up with it in your mail.

This is exactly what my friends and I have been talking about for years. Why, if everyone MMO is attempting to make crafting important, meaningful and sustainable, has there never been a system that allows players to request craftable items.

Good bye,

/3 WTB [+3 SWORD OF WANG WAVING] PST!

You'll be missed. NOT.

This discussion has been closed.