As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• NovidNovid Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Meanwhile, things are looking a little shaky for the Thundercats:
    Despite the lack of any kind of new product information for Bandai's ThunderCats toy line to come out of Toy Fair earlier this month, we have gotten an update from Warner Bros. this morning that new episodes of the animated series would still be returning to Cartoon Network at some point.

They are unfortunately still not able or willing to say when we might see those new episodes. New episodes of the ThunderCats series haven't aired on Cartoon Network since the end of November 2011, so hopefully it is only a matter of time before we see something new.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=291&itemid=18357

This makes me sad. :( Why are action cartoons having such a hard time on CN?

I'm not going to lie to you but im not gonna say much. There is failure to communicate right now. The last time i heard (since i been back home and working at my other job) is that everybody else but CN is putting in effort. Thats not surprising. The only people that can even reach CN is the bosses at Turner and Fedratior (Adventure Time). CN has overpromoted the live action again and ONLY this time its catching on.

I am truly scared if the show dont air in April. That means the show may get moved.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I still can't believe how badly CN mismanaged Sym-Bionic Titan. It's like they wanted to smother that show in its crib.

I never could figure out why the idea of rebooting a continuity would somehow bring in droves of new readership.

People who aren't reading comics aren't worried about continuity. There's not a soul on this message board that got into a mainstream title when it was new. Hell, there's probably not a single poster here that was even alive before the invention of Wolverine, let alone the X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four, and for fucks sake no one before the invention of Superman or Batman.

People who read comics were drawn to comics because of the content. The continuity was a world to be explored through back-issues and storylines, not a hurdle to understanding and enjoyment. Who watched A New Hope for the first time and went, "Clone Wars? What the fuck? You mean shit happened in this universe before the events of this film? Man, fuck this. I'm out?" Delving into these histories has never been easier than today with the advent of the internet, with Wikipedia that can sum up a publisher's continuity in just a few pages, and iPad apps that allow access to years of back issues.

This is like trying to get new customers at your restaurant by printing your menus in a different color. You're still offering the same selections cooked the same way.

It's to get new readers aboard so they don't have to bother reading any material past the new #1's. It's a good idea when done right.

Star Wars continuity is a nightmare but it's simple compared to the DCU. At least they gave the fans a guideline for how their continuity works. With the new DCnU you have to fill in the blanks yourself. Spider-man post-OMD has the same problems with continuity.

Tv, cartoon and tv series continuity is generally easier to understand even for big franchises then comic continuity. They aren't tied to a multi-series universe in their medium which is managed by numerous create teams. That can build up continuity into a mess quick. The only thing which comes close are soap operas.

and the latter is dying because of lack of sex and storylines going nowhere

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Novid wrote: »
    Despite the lack of any kind of new product information for Bandai's ThunderCats toy line to come out of Toy Fair earlier this month, we have gotten an update from Warner Bros. this morning that new episodes of the animated series would still be returning to Cartoon Network at some point.

They are unfortunately still not able or willing to say when we might see those new episodes. New episodes of the ThunderCats series haven't aired on Cartoon Network since the end of November 2011, so hopefully it is only a matter of time before we see something new.

I'm not going to lie to you but im not gonna say much. There is failure to communicate right now. The last time i heard (since i been back home and working at my other job) is that everybody else but CN is putting in effort. Thats not surprising. The only people that can even reach CN is the bosses at Turner and Fedratior (Adventure Time). CN has overpromoted the live action again and ONLY this time its catching on.

I am truly scared if the show dont air in April. That means the show may get moved.

You mean there is something on the network that isn't Level Up!? Does someone need to tell their marketing that?

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I never could figure out why the idea of rebooting a continuity would somehow bring in droves of new readership.

People who aren't reading comics aren't worried about continuity. There's not a soul on this message board that got into a mainstream title when it was new. Hell, there's probably not a single poster here that was even alive before the invention of Wolverine, let alone the X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four, and for fucks sake no one before the invention of Superman or Batman.

People who read comics were drawn to comics because of the content. The continuity was a world to be explored through back-issues and storylines, not a hurdle to understanding and enjoyment. Who watched A New Hope for the first time and went, "Clone Wars? What the fuck? You mean shit happened in this universe before the events of this film? Man, fuck this. I'm out?" Delving into these histories has never been easier than today with the advent of the internet, with Wikipedia that can sum up a publisher's continuity in just a few pages, and iPad apps that allow access to years of back issues.

This is like trying to get new customers at your restaurant by printing your menus in a different color. You're still offering the same selections cooked the same way.

It's to get new readers aboard so they don't have to bother reading any material past the new #1's. It's a good idea when done right.

Star Wars continuity is a nightmare but it's simple compared to the DCU. At least they gave the fans a guideline for how their continuity works. With the new DCnU you have to fill in the blanks yourself. Spider-man post-OMD has the same problems with continuity.

Tv, cartoon and tv series continuity is generally easier to understand even for big franchises then comic continuity. They aren't tied to a multi-series universe in their medium which is managed by numerous create teams. That can build up continuity into a mess quick. The only thing which comes close are soap operas.

and the latter is dying because of lack of sex and storylines going nowhere

Soap operas being on premium channels would definitely be an improvement. Then viewers can actually watch the sex and have greater fanservice. True Blood & Game of Thrones are practically soap operas with some fantasy thrown in.

Bloodsheed wrote: »

You mean there is something on the network that isn't Level Up!? Does someone need to tell their marketing that?

I've heard that the marketing firm who Adult Swim employs loathes anime. That's why they barely advertise the anime the channel shows. I really hate politics on tv channels.

I still can't believe how badly CN mismanaged Sym-Bionic Titan. It's like they wanted to smother that show in its crib.

They cant say "the toys are not selling as an excuse" because its toe to toe with Ben 10. CN cant spin any other way but favoritism towards the "Adult Swim" like shows. But then CN isn't truly trying unlike with level up. These live-action folk came from the same class as the Disney and CBS's executives - low class, high matintance nincompoops who because of there Harvard MBA's think they gonna be the next Ann Sweeney or Les Moonves. I'm more of a Dana White type in my thinking with animation - i know what's good - i know what can sell and i will air it as unedited as possible without breaking the law. Because these executives think they can spend a BILLION of Corporate money without nobody noticing it - they got another thing coming.

The industry is playing with fire this time. All that Government BS with the Children's TV ACT of 1991 is NOTHING compared to the rumors i heard a while back which i stated here some months ago. All these streamers coming out Netflix, Xfinity Streampix, Verizon's version (Netflix will be gone in a few years and thats just because there Margins are gonna get squeezed tight) Amazon - then you have Yahoo in the starting stages and Goggle has Youtube... Kickstarter is turning into a game changer. They saw what happened with Crunchroll.

All they have to DO is act like they GIVE a damn and they will not have this future where they will lose everything, and that includes the hub, which isnt a bad kids network regardless of all the Pony issues.

And to all the anime fans, wait until Mr Woo comes back to the states and starts a venture... i think he will be very successful and it will be a game changer.

edited February 2012
    Woo? Woo who?

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2012
    Woo? Woo who?

Its Daniel Choo not Woo, sorry.

Novid on
    edited February 2012

I've heard that the marketing firm who Adult Swim employs loathes anime. That's why they barely advertise the anime the channel shows. I really hate politics on tv channels.

The Marketing Firm i know that works for both CN and Adult Swim is BFG http://bfginteractive.com/ - but they don't do day to day. If its them I take it they are in the Broadway side of the Business and they cant stand the fuckers from BangZoom and their ilk.

To expand, it dont matter one lick. Nobody could forsee Crunchroll. (I hate those Berkley sons of bitches with a passion) but now - with groups like KickStarter and the model somewhat in place there is NO TELLING somebody with actual money (CAPITAL not a loan) can do if he or she gives a damn. Thats why the Old Guard have done everything - even using Yakuza - to keep the genre down to its deathly halls.

Novid on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'll be honest about Thundercats. It just didn't do it for me at all. I tried, I gave it 6 episodes. But I just could not like it at all. And I didn't have the old nostalgic factor from the old series either. It was no Avatar or Justice League, that's for sure, at least in my eyes anyways.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I'll be honest about Thundercats. It just didn't do it for me at all. I tried, I gave it 6 episodes. But I just could not like it at all. And I didn't have the old nostalgic factor from the old series either. It was no Avatar or Justice League, that's for sure, at least in my eyes anyways.

Same here. It's got potential but its nowhere near what it could have been. They toned it down too much IMO. They should have made it closer to Young Justice or the Timm-verse, then it can appeal to families not just young kids.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

Same here. It's got potential but its nowhere near what it could have been. They toned it down too much IMO. They should have made it closer to Young Justice or the Timm-verse, then it can appeal to families not just young kids.

I felt it was way too "Plot Of The Week" without enough push on the main story line. It just felt like the main story was spinning it's wheels and going at a snail pace to make room for "Look at this race of crazy things!".

I still like it, and hope it continues, but it really fell apart as it went.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull

I felt it was way too "Plot Of The Week" without enough push on the main story line. It just felt like the main story was spinning it's wheels and going at a snail pace to make room for "Look at this race of crazy things!".

Agreed.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Agreed.

The show has its moments, but it just could never top its pilot. I think the problem is tone, as other said.

Agreed.

The show has its moments, but it just could never top its pilot. I think the problem is tone, as other said.

The tone is half the problem. The rest is the writing. It isn't daring or that imaginative. Star Wars: TCW is Shakespear compared to it, with exception to the "Omen" arc.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Agreed.

The tone is half the problem. The rest is the writing. It isn't daring or that imaginative. Star Wars: TCW is Shakespear compared to it, with exception to the "Omen" arc.

The thing is, it doesn't need to be that imaginative. If they just told teen-friendly action stories in that setting - as they do in the important arc episodes - it would be gold. They've got the talent to do a solid show, but the thing often feels like a throwback with modern trimmings.

The Lion-O learns a Very Important Lesson episodes are the worst holdover from the past. Unless Standards and Practices is forcing you to have a child-friendly moral lesson, it's best to just tell a solid tale and let any moral lessons come naturally.

Agreed.

The thing is, it doesn't need to be that imaginative. If they just told teen-friendly action stories in that setting - as they do in the important arc episodes - it would be gold. They've got the talent to do a solid show, but the thing often feels like a throwback with modern trimmings.

The Lion-O learns a Very Important Lesson episodes are the worst holdover from the past. Unless Standards and Practices is forcing you to have a child-friendly moral lesson, it's best to just tell a solid tale and let any moral lessons come naturally.

Agreed.

Woo? Woo who?

Its Daniel Choo not Woo, sorry.

Okay, who is Choo? I don't know what you are talking about here

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Any opinions/feedback on Justice League: Doom? It's coming out this Tuesday and it looks like I can match Target's $16 price with Best Buy.

Wondering if it's a must-have like Batman: Year One/Under the Red Hood, or something that's only worth a one-time watch like Batman/Superman.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Any opinions/feedback on Justice League: Doom? It's coming out this Tuesday and it looks like I can match Target's $16 price with Best Buy.

Wondering if it's a must-have like Batman: Year One/Under the Red Hood, or something that's only worth a one-time watch like Batman/Superman.
    it's a well done movie but the plot is old news and nothing too meaningful happens. However the characters were very well portrayed in it and I liked it over all. Just not anything that you absolutely have to watch.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, it does have this scene:

http://video.comicbookresources.com/movies/super-heroes/justice-league-doom-alfred-snarks-at-batman/

Wish we could have gotten Efram Zimbalist Jr. again, but the dude's got to be pushing 100 now.

At any rate, finally saw Cars 2. And you know, fundamentally speaking, it's not an inherently bad movie. The spy angle is relatively fresh and well done, the races actually go somewhere rather than go on and on in a circle, they really went nuts loading the movie with very, very specific car models for very, very specific situations, etc.

...it's just that Mater is EVERYWHERE. I'm not entirely sure why he drove me crazy in this flick but not the original -- maybe because the first one was from Lightning's point of view, and Mater was just one of many many characters then. Still, ye gods, it's The Mater Show. Almost toxic levels of Larry the Cable Guy. I mean, if Mater had been swapped out for, well, ANYTHING else the movie would actually be pretty good.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

it's a well done movie but the plot is old news and nothing too meaningful happens. However the characters were very well portrayed in it and I liked it over all. Just not anything that you absolutely have to watch.

When you say the plot is old news, do you mean the comic it's adapted from?

I never read it, though I love the concept (Batman has his anti Justice League plans stolen).

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The way they took out Wonder Woman was really lame. Was that how they did it in the comics?

Again, the biggest problem was that the movie was too short.

Also, some of the voice actors were great but some were pretty mediocre. The returning cast were all great. Claudia Black was great as Cheetah. Bane was not that good. They should have gotten someone who sounds like Ricardo Montalbán to play Bane. Metallo was OK I guess but not nearly as good as Malcolm McDowell. Mirror Master wasn't very memorable either.

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular

$16? I don't mean to sound like an advertiser but both Best Buy and Amazon are offering the Blu-ray combo pack for $14.99

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The way they took out Wonder Woman was really lame. Was that how they did it in the comics?

Also, some of the voice actors were great but some were pretty mediocre. The returning cast were all great. Claudia Black was great as Cheetah. Bane was not that good. They should have gotten someone who sounds like Ricardo Montalbán to play Bane. Metallo was OK I guess but not nearly as good as Malcolm McDowell. Mirror Master wasn't very memorable either.

Well now I gotta know. What did they do to Wonder Woman?

Quire.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular

Cheetah 'drugged' her, was actually some nano-tech that overstimulated her senses into thinking that everyone was Cheetah. Cops, Cyborg, everyone. And she wouldn't stop fighting, so the planned result was her to basically fight until she keeled over from a heart attack or something.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I stopped caring about Titan after the creators greenlit this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW71JI6AZUA

Yes Genny, go ahead and teach kids to be club sluts, that's a wonderful idea :?

Godfather on
    I don't know what you're complaining about, that scene was hilarious.

• InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »

Seriously? You'd blame Genndy? Better yet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMiMc3HrY4Q
    Don't blame me For my son Stan
    He saw the darn cartoon
    And now he's off to join the clan!

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Club sluts? Seriously?

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Really? You're gonna defend that?

How is that scene better than any other scene idea imaginable? There are so many more tasteful ways they could go with that set-up to get the same point across, and they went with club dancing.

Awful.

• InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not defending the scene(though I have no problem with), just arguing against that ridiculous sentence you typed.
    Thanks a lot cartoon/canada for forcing our children to become SLUTS!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »

I stopped caring about Titan after the creators greenlit this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW71JI6AZUA

This is funny, and would be fine in The Simpsons or Archer or Futurama or the like, but I find it highly inappropriate for a kid's show.

I get the idea, but there are much more tasteful ways for her to try to get the nerd to do her homework than having her literally waggling her ass around at the camera.

I don't buy into cartoon turning our kids into sluts, but this scene seems far too sexually charged for a kid's show.

Lh96QHG.png
    Not defending the scene(though I have no problem with), just arguing against that ridiculous sentence you typed.
    Thanks a lot cartoon/canada for forcing our children to become SLUTS!
    This. I can see people having issues with it (like AMFE above), even if I don't, but that response was more offensive than the clip ever was.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In case anyone didn't see it, Rango got the Oscar.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

This is a good thing. :^:

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Cheetah 'drugged' her, was actually some nano-tech that overstimulated her senses into thinking that everyone was Cheetah. Cops, Cyborg, everyone. And she wouldn't stop fighting, so the planned result was her to basically fight until she keeled over from a heart attack or something.

Yep, it was pretty lame.
    Wonder Woman should have contacted the rest of the League or at least Martian Manhunter as soon as she realized she was under some kind of hallucination. And instead of fighting every person in view, she could have used the lasso on a couple of them and she would have realized that she wasn't fighting duplicates of Cheetah and that she was just seeing regular people as Cheetah. There is also the fact that if the nanites could affect Wonder Woman's brain, they could have just been programmed to shut her brain down and kill her or completely blind her senses.

Yep, it was pretty lame.
    Wonder Woman should have contacted the rest of the League or at least Martian Manhunter as soon as she realized she was under some kind of hallucination. And instead of fighting every person in view, she could have used the lasso on a couple of them and she would have realized that she wasn't fighting duplicates of Cheetah and that she was just seeing regular people as Cheetah. There is also the fact that if the nanites could affect Wonder Woman's brain, they could have just been programmed to shut her brain down and kill her or completely blind her senses.
    WTF. It was better in the comics. She got a mosquito type machine fly into her brain then rendered her catatonic, forcing her into a coma virtual reality where she fought non-stop. The point was to overwhelm her with stress enough to give her a heart attack.

Fantastic!

This discussion has been closed.