As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think he is either trolling, doesn't know what a plot hole is, or misunderstands the nature of the DLC. Either way I don't really see the point in discussing it or calling him names.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    its not bioware forum, not sure if that makes it any better.

its just actually just the gaming section of a elitist video card forum. i don't even know why i still post there, its like.. if your friend has developed a crack addiction.. you want to help but they just don't want it.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll still be able to visit Omega. I'm sure we're going back to the Citadel to scream all kings of naughty words at a certain turian.

I want to be able to walk up to the batarian preacher and whisper in his ear "you were right"

just before I blow his 4-eyed brains out.

If I have to sacrifice either Omega or the Citadel...

Well.

Fuck the Citadel.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Pretty much.
    I'll have to see what the damage etc. looks like on my shotguns. But first run through, based only on the demo, will probably be Vanguard with Katana and nothing else.

Honestly. I don't like the Katana much. It's average but I would still like a little more kick.

Just that I hate the Scimitar and Claymore even more.

On Vanguard that is.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    i think they said omega was going to be in the game, and after the events of one of the comics..

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm going to break my weapon policy and just carry a different one each mission.

There are so many guns I want to play with, and as long as you're just carrying one it won't break your power cooldowns. Except for the Widow and Krogun, but fuck carrying them.

I really want to try out the Turian Assault rifle and the Electric pistol. Oh, and some of the Geth weapons I never used in ME2.

Z0re on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Didn't someone earlier say that they found a file for a shooting range in the demo?

If so...I would really love that.

• Options
    I bet the Reapers will use Omega as a gas station. Complete with squeegees to clean the rachni off their windshields.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Pretty much.
    I'll have to see what the damage etc. looks like on my shotguns. But first run through, based only on the demo, will probably be Vanguard with Katana and nothing else.

Honestly. I don't like the Katana much. It's average but I would still like a little more kick.

Just that I hate the Scimitar and Claymore even more.

On Vanguard that is.

Yeah, the Claymore's damage to your cooldowns is extreme since they hit it with the nerf bat.

• Options
    Didn't someone earlier say that they found a file for a shooting range in the demo?

that would be good.. ship spoilers
    it would probably be in the hanger bay area, since it looks like thats where the boxing ring and armory is now.

• Options

it would probably be in the hanger bay area, since it looks like thats where the boxing ring and armory is now.

Boxing ring?

Oh god.

I am biting Vega's ear off.

• Options

Boxing ring?

Oh god.

I better be able to find some plated boxing gloves in the basement.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    That was me; it's not on the ship. It was a loading tool tip in the demo to the effect of "test your arsenal in the firing range on the Citadel."
    Yeah, the Claymore's damage to your cooldowns is extreme since they hit it with the nerf bat.

I went krogan soldier with claymore and widow, and lemme tell you, that is excellent. Cooldowns? Who gives a damn!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options

Boxing ring?

Oh god.

I better be able to find some plated boxing gloves in the basement.

Dear StrongShep,

How do you type on the extranet with boxing gloves on?

• Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    All I know is after watching the drama on this board; seeing people up in arms about Origin exclusive and DLC malarkey and what have you, has me thinking we'll be hearing E.A. complaining about ME3 being the most pirated game in recent memory come six months from now.

Cause from what I've seen all they have done is make piracy look more palatable and made it the only way to avoid Origin (if you're on the PC of course).
    Not sure this is the best business strategy I've ever seen but then again there is a reason I've never invested in E.A.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't like Origin but Origin is not at all a big deal for this. Christ, I put up with GFWL for Batman and that service is a fucking abomination whose existence defies logic. Origin is just a less-good Steam.

Not like whiny entitled pirates need much of an incentive to steal something and call it heroic, anyway.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    ...Not really.

As someone who plays a number of games. Any game that has any DLC plans announced before a games release gets the same amount of bitching. That's why the two weeks before a game's release are always the worse, almost nothing but bitching.

As for pirating. People who were going to pirate were going to pirate anyway. The only difference now is that they can feel like they had some right to do it. So, basing your business plan around people who are going to steal your game is stupid...since they're going to do it anyway. The only thing you can do is make it inconvenient for them.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I still expect ME3 to be the biggest moneymaker of the year. But I expect BioShock Infinite will be the biggest critical darling, with good reason.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Well...in the RPG department.

I think CoD still has a few years left it in for selling +10 million units even if I believe it to be in decline.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Starting tomorrow, we'll be in the single digits for ME3's release.

Squee.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I still expect ME3 to be the biggest moneymaker of the year. But I expect BioShock Infinite will be the biggest critical darling, with good reason.

I still fail to see what was so amazing about Bioshock. The setting was kind of cool, but the gameplay sucked enough I bought it and I still haven't gotten more than 2 hours in. Felt distinctly late 90s and not enough other stuff to make up for.

Orca on
  • Options
    ...Well. I watched my brother play Bioshock(couldn't get into the gameplay myself...not to mention my brother had beat it 3 times before I even got to my first playthrough).

And I will say it was generally good writing for a video game and it had a great atmosphere to it.

I can't say I cared much for the sequel since it seemed like more of the same, but I'm pretty hyped for Infinite.

• Options

I still fail to see what was so amazing about Bioshock. The setting was kind of cool, but the gameplay sucked enough I bought it and I still haven't gotten more than 2 hours in. Felt distinctly late 90s and not enough other stuff to make up for.

BioShock did a lot of things very well. Especially in the realm of atmosphere and voice acting. It's has some flaws, true, but when BioShock is really on, it's fucking on.

• Options
    Gameplay has nothing to do with why everyone liked Bioshock, since it's pretty dull and never 'feels' right. It's all about the story and the atmosphere, which were both excellent despite some pretty big conceptual problems.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Not to mention I know it gets overhyped...but the plot twist was actually pretty good.

Too bad the game falls apart after it.

• Options
    Gameplay has nothing to do with why everyone liked Bioshock, since it's pretty dull and never 'feels' right. It's all about the story and the atmosphere, which were both excellent despite some pretty big conceptual problems.

As I recall, executive meddling foced Irrational to add a possible happy ending. That makes me think that the real ending of BioShock is
    right after you kill Andrew Ryan.
    But, as DAII and Mafia II show us, gamers hate unhappy endings.

• Options
    the writing was great but bioshock was pretty much just system shock 2 with new paint.

• Options
    Not to mention I know it gets overhyped...but the plot twist was actually pretty good.

Too bad the game falls apart after it.

So what you're saying is one of these years I should turn the difficulty to "5-year-old" and try to wade my way through it again?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't think gamers hate unhappy endings. They just don't like endings they can't "win".

I guess it comes with being conditioned by games to "win" since we were kids or something.

Edit: That was my .02 of armchair psychology.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't think gamers hate unhappy endings. They just don't like endings they can't "win".

I guess it comes with being conditioned by games to "win" since we were kids or something.

If I wanted to lose I'd play football.

edit: The only position I'm qualified for in football is the ball.

Orca on
  • Options

That sounds correct. Makes me wonder how people will handle one of the endings of ME3.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    ...Not really.

As someone who plays a number of games. Any game that has any DLC plans announced before a games release gets the same amount of bitching. That's why the two weeks before a game's release are always the worse, almost nothing but bitching.

As for pirating. People who were going to pirate were going to pirate anyway. The only difference now is that they can feel like they had some right to do it. So, basing your business plan around people who are going to steal your game is stupid...since they're going to do it anyway. The only thing you can do is make it inconvenient for them.

Perhaps, but games that are seen to be excessively anti consumer seem to have larger piracy numbers versus total retail sales.

Remember Spore?

Or Assassins Creed with the always on? Both of those reported record piracy to retail ratios.

True, die hard pirates will pirate no matter what, but there are certainly a large number of "on the fence" pirates who buy the games they like and pirate games that they find less palatable. This whole situation seems to run the risk of pushing things in the wrong way.

I am sure there are plenty of people who read these boards regularly who are considering the such actions over any number of the issues that is growing behind this game. I am not sure it is a intelligent strategy by E.A. to throw one more straw on the camels back.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    the writing was great but bioshock was pretty much just system shock 2 with new paint.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

• Options
    It's an immensely frustrating experience. It's not even so much when characters die, but when they die accomplishing nothing, it means the player has literally been wasting their time. You're not even getting the enjoyment factor out of winning like in checkers.

Example, if Snake had died at the end of MGS4. I would have been cool with that. He had a horrible, hard life, fought hard, and did some good. He earned his rest. If Ocelot had killed him, taken over the world, and everything was fine. That would have pissed me off.

• Options
    akeso wrote: »
    ...Not really.

Perhaps, but games that are seen to be excessively anti consumer seem to have larger piracy numbers versus total retail sales.

Remember Spore?

Or Assassins Creed with the always on? Both of those reported record piracy to retail ratios.

True, die hard pirates will pirate no matter what, but there are certainly a large number of "on the fence" pirates who buy the games they like and pirate games that they find less palatable. This whole situation seems to run the risk of pushing things in the wrong way.

The tears are filling up my glasses. Let me play them a sad song on the galaxy's smallest space violin.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    akeso wrote: »
    ...Not really.

Remember Spore?

I am sure there are plenty of people who read these boards regularly who are considering the such actions over any number of the issues that is growing behind this game. I am not sure it is a intelligent strategy by E.A. to throw one more straw on the camels back.

You want to know why games have high piracy numbers?

It's the same reason music has such high piracy numbers.

Because its easy and people like free shit.

That's the long and short of it.

If pirating had anything to do with moral stance people wouldn't pirate a product, they would boycott it completely.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It's an immensely frustrating experience. It's not even so much when characters die, but when they die accomplishing nothing, it means the player has literally been wasting their time. You're not even getting the enjoyment factor out of winning like in checkers.

Example, if Snake had died at the end of MGS4. I would have been cool with that. He had a horrible, hard life, fought hard, and did some good. He earned his rest. If Ocelot had killed him, taken over the world, and everything was fine. That would have pissed me off.

But it's a story. The player wasn't wasting their time, they were getting a story. If you're reading a book and the bad guys all win at the end and the good guys all die failures, that doesn't automatically make the book bad and a waste of time.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think that's an overly simplistic analysis though. Why, for example, do some products that are more popular get pirated at lower rates than other products that are less popular?

As I said, it is always true that some people will always pirate, but that doesn't mean you should discount the value analysis that many people do when considering piracy over retail.

Also, since you keep coming back to ethics, I am not talking about an ethical value analysis but instead a product value analysis.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    It would have to be an exceptionally done game to really make a total failure ending not seem like an enormous cheat.

• Options
    ME3 doesn't have the crazy DRM those things had, and doesn't have anything remotely close to "excessively anti-consumer." Internet histrionics.

s7Imn5J.png