As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    It's an immensely frustrating experience. It's not even so much when characters die, but when they die accomplishing nothing, it means the player has literally been wasting their time. You're not even getting the enjoyment factor out of winning like in checkers.

Example, if Snake had died at the end of MGS4. I would have been cool with that. He had a horrible, hard life, fought hard, and did some good. He earned his rest. If Ocelot had killed him, taken over the world, and everything was fine. That would have pissed me off.

But it's a story. The player wasn't wasting their time, they were getting a story. If you're reading a book and the bad guys all win at the end and the good guys all die failures, that doesn't automatically make the book bad and a waste of time.

Hell, my four favorite films all have the "heroes" pretty much fail, with most of them dying. I still love each of them. For the record, the four films are:
    The Big Lebowski
    The Prestige
    The Usual Suspcets
    Dr. Strangelove

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    ME3 doesn't have the crazy DRM those things had, and doesn't have anything remotely close to "excessively anti-consumer." Internet histrionics.

True, perhaps the real question is whether or not day one DLC or Origin is as offensive to the consumer as DRM.
    Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next six months to say the least.

primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's an immensely frustrating experience. It's not even so much when characters die, but when they die accomplishing nothing, it means the player has literally been wasting their time. You're not even getting the enjoyment factor out of winning like in checkers.

Example, if Snake had died at the end of MGS4. I would have been cool with that. He had a horrible, hard life, fought hard, and did some good. He earned his rest. If Ocelot had killed him, taken over the world, and everything was fine. That would have pissed me off.

That's the thing though.

Even if Snake died at the end of MGS4, he would have still won.

He fought the good fight, succeeded, and for the foreseeable future sunny days are ahead.

When I say people don't like "losing" I mean exactly what you said. People don't like feeling like their efforts were for nought. But I believe there is just as much to be found in a losing battle as there is in one that is won.

Believe me. I have a love/hate relationship with bad endings. Whenever I watch a good movie that ends poorly I feel like shit for like the rest of the week. But after that week is over...I'm happy I felt like shit for that week because I was glad that something could affect me in that way. Even though I may never watch that movie again because it made me feel like shit.

I'm not defending bad endings for the sake of bad endings(I hate those), just saying that not everything comes out roses.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    akeso wrote: »
    ME3 doesn't have the crazy DRM those things had, and doesn't have anything remotely close to "excessively anti-consumer." Internet histrionics.

True, perhaps the real question is whether or not day one DLC or Origin is as offensive to the consumer as DRM.
    Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next six months to say the least.

If people bitch about Origin's DRM, they damn well better be bitching about all Steam and GFWL games too.

To date, I haven't seen that.

Orca on
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

If people bitch about Origin's DRM, they damn well better be bitching about all Steam and GFWL games too.

Kind of a red herring but:
    I have seen all three, but I think the thing lots of people find most offensive about origin in the mandatory snooping it does which Steam lets you opt out of.

primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That's the thing though.

Even if Snake died at the end of MGS4, he would have still won.

Yeah, and that's totally fine. Character death isn't the same thing as a failure ending. If 20 years of Tactical Espionage Action had ended with Ocelot giving the finger to the Player standing atop the body of Snake on the front lawn of Outer Heaven's new White House, I would not be so understanding.

In Silent Hill 2, most of the endings are incredibly fucked up, but there's still one where you get some kind of positive ending.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    thats actually my major dislike for mgs4
    that snake didnt die, then again 4 was just a clusterfuck of random exposition

• Options

Kind of a red herring but:
    I have seen all three, but I think the thing lots of people find most offensive about origin in the mandatory snooping it does which Steam lets you opt out of.

Steam lets you out of their survey. They don't let you out of the other snooping, particularly related to the multiplayer games.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    thats actually my major dislike for mgs4
    that snake didnt die, then again 4 was just a clusterfuck of random exposition
    He's still a dead man in six months though. He just gets some time to actually live for himself.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think that's an overly simplistic analysis though. Why, for example, do some products that are more popular get pirated at lower rates than other products that are less popular?

As I said, it is always true that some people will always pirate, but that doesn't mean you should discount the value analysis that many people do when considering piracy over retail.

Also, since you keep coming back to ethics, I am not talking about an ethical value analysis but instead a product value analysis.

That's the thing though.

Product value is a pretty loaded term. Because something might be worth a different amount to different people.

You're saying that a product that you believe should be marked at 60 dollars being marked at 67 dollars will somehow drastically increase piracy.

I mean just like you say a product being marked at 67 dollars is a rip. I could say that gamers are still getting a deal because it still cheaper than the old days when games used to cost 70+ bucks(and this is not accounting for inflation).

And as piracy goes the majority of people doing it will always see it as getting a product that costs "not 0 dollars" for 0 dollars.

Saying how much something is worth...and how much something should be worth doesn't work because "worth" is such a subjective concept.

Heck...I've seen people bitch about products that were maybe 5 bucks.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think that's an overly simplistic analysis though. Why, for example, do some products that are more popular get pirated at lower rates than other products that are less popular?

As I said, it is always true that some people will always pirate, but that doesn't mean you should discount the value analysis that many people do when considering piracy over retail.

Also, since you keep coming back to ethics, I am not talking about an ethical value analysis but instead a product value analysis.

That's the thing though.

Product value is a pretty loaded term. Because something might be worth a different amount to different people.

You're saying that a product that you believe should be marked at 60 dollars being marked at 67 dollars will somehow drastically increase piracy.

I mean just like you say a product being marked at 67 dollars is a rip. I could say that gamers are still getting a deal because it still cheaper than the old days when games used to cost 70+ bucks(and this is not accounting for inflation).

And as piracy goes the majority of people doing it will always see it as getting a product that costs "not 0 dollars" for 0 dollars.

Saying how much something is worth...and how much something should be worth doesn't work because "worth" is such a subjective concept.

Heck...I've seen people bitch about products that were maybe 5 bucks.

Oh dear lord. Look at the bitching associated with $2 Android and iPhone apps.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Yeah, a $10 DLC is not the tipping point to piracy. The tipping point is anything above $0.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    So apparently some /v/tard got a space edition.

Am I jelly?

I AM SO JELLY.

• Options
    So apparently some /v/tard got a space edition.

Am I jelly?

I AM SO JELLY.

stream stream stream stream stream

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ended up liking that Amalur game as a result of playing the demo to get the ME3 items. Going on my list of games to get once I'm done with ME3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I thought they hated Mass Effect and all Bioware-related things now. But they still went to a fan event?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »
    I thought they hated Mass Effect and all Bioware-related things now. But they still went to a fan event?

Was 4chan on the Bioware hate-train too?

Anyway, it's no more a monolith than any other collection of people.

• Options
    don't tell me you don't have a capture card, anonymous 4chan user

you go out and buy one

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Ended up liking that Amalur game as a result of playing the demo to get the ME3 items. Going on my list of games to get once I'm done with ME3.

Yeah. Amalur is pretty good.

But damn...so many sidequests...so many sidequests.

• Options
    Bioware isn't making people sign NDAs for these things, right

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

/v/ hates every game. That being said as with any random assortment of people, you get your fans, you get your haters, and you get your trolls who are just in it for the lulz.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    im torn.

i may watch the steam. i may not.

i might watch and check out the normandy.. and then some more and oh shit.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yeah. Amalur is pretty good.

But damn...so many sidequests...so many sidequests.

I like sidequests.

Only reason I comment on this is that earlier someone in this thread was posting about "just leave the demo while you go do something else and you still get your items", and I was like.. "but I actually like this!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

/v/ hates every game. That being said as with any random assortment of people, you get your fans, you get your haters, and you get your trolls who are just in it for the lulz.

Pretty much this. I've seen some long threads about ME on /co/, and /u/ enjoys ME a lot.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think I'm a bad enough dude for Gold. Do any similarly bad dudes wanna play?

Same screen name on Origins as here.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    What's this about? Please inform me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm replaying on Hardcore as a soldier (always shy away from the default for some reason) before ME3 comes out.

I'm on the final area on Horizon with the Scions and the Husks. For fucks sake it is so goddamn frustrating. I bet the designers thought they were so clever designing a fight where cover is a terrible idea because you get reamed from all directions by Husks.

Is there some trick to this? I've taken to running in circles around the battle field but the game will attach me to cover which seems to equal death. The scions rip away my shields and stagger me and then the husks that are chasing me maul me.

Late on replying to this, but I honestly think this is one of the most bullshit battles in ME2 on the higher difficulties. It's really, crazy stupid (I think it's fairly doable on Hardcore but on Insanity it's just impossible. Don't know how many times I had to reload during my Insanity playthrough).

The best advice I can give is I found it semi-helpful to make a run for the fenced-off area to the left of where you come in (the one that has a Med-kit in it). Husks will still spawn there but you have a lot of cover. It's best to just deal with the husks first and ignore the Scions (try to duck when they use Shockwave).

Hope you brought some good anti-armor-ability guys :) Mordin's Incinerate is super helpful here. Make sure you are using Incendiary Ammo also.

Have fun with the equally bullshit fight right after :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    WTF

Someone who got the game early took a picture of it after they apparently shat on it.

smh

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Razia wrote: »
    WTF

Someone who got the game early took a picture of it after they apparently shat on it.

smh

That's actually pretty funny

• Options
    Wait...why would you take a shit...

Oh, I read that wrong.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So apparently all the ME3 achievements are listed on the ME wiki. I'm surprised there are no multiplayer-exclusive ones (that I can tell). Most seem to be things like "Reach level 20 in multiplayer or level 60 in single-player" where there is a Single Player alternative to complete it. Kind of nice actually (especially given the multiplayer scene will eventually likely die out)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will be the game that teaches the games industry what Hollywood learned a long time ago - hardcore fans are a neglible part of the audience and are best ignored.

• Options
    Well. I wouldn't say hardcore fans are neglible. Just that at the end of the day its best to make your own judgments because sometimes they say dumb stuff.

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Wait...why would you take a shit...

Oh, I read that wrong.

Are you sure about that? Look again.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    WTF

smh

I think this needs some clarification because it could be taken two entirely different ways. One is funny and the other is disgusting. Neither would surprise me.

• Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm replaying on Hardcore as a soldier (always shy away from the default for some reason) before ME3 comes out.

I'm on the final area on Horizon with the Scions and the Husks. For fucks sake it is so goddamn frustrating. I bet the designers thought they were so clever designing a fight where cover is a terrible idea because you get reamed from all directions by Husks.

Is there some trick to this? I've taken to running in circles around the battle field but the game will attach me to cover which seems to equal death. The scions rip away my shields and stagger me and then the husks that are chasing me maul me.

Late on replying to this, but I honestly think this is one of the most bullshit battles in ME2 on the higher difficulties. It's really, crazy stupid (I think it's fairly doable on Hardcore but on Insanity it's just impossible. Don't know how many times I had to reload during my Insanity playthrough).

The best advice I can give is I found it semi-helpful to make a run for the fenced-off area to the left of where you come in (the one that has a Med-kit in it). Husks will still spawn there but you have a lot of cover. It's best to just deal with the husks first and ignore the Scions (try to duck when they use Shockwave).

Hope you brought some good anti-armor-ability guys :) Mordin's Incinerate is super helpful here. Make sure you are using Incendiary Ammo also.

Have fun with the equally bullshit fight right after :P

It's been awhile since I did this, so the details may be suspect.

If I recall correctly, I used a pretty cheap method with a sniper rifle. If you don't move too far off the steps, you can attack the scions without activating them, so they stay motionless. If you zoom in where they come from, you can barely see the tip of the scions. You can then use your team powers to attack them repeatedly. It takes a long time, but when they die, the husks don't spawn and you go to the next part of the battle.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    WTF

smh

I think this needs some clarification because it could be taken two entirely different ways. One is funny and the other is disgusting. Neither would surprise me.

What's to clarify? He put it beneath his anus, and released his sphincter muscles to excrete feacal matter from his rectum, perhaps to display in no uncertain terms how he feels about the DLC? Or perhaps simply to enrage allllll the fans.

I don't see the confusing parts here :D

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I think I'm a bad enough dude for Gold. Do any similarly bad dudes wanna play?

Same screen name on Origins as here.

Accept my friend request so we can shoot people.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Yeah, by shit I meant excreted solid waste.

blondeshep.jpg