As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Indeed it is, one of the finest pieces of DLC I've played.

Seriously...it's been what...almost 2 years since that was released and I still haven't seen a piece of DLC that has come close to it.

Yeah, it's pretty solid. I just finished Overlord for the first time, and damn, when it wasn't startling me or creeping me out, it kinda depressed me, near towards the end.
    How can some jack-ass do something so horrible to his brother. HIS AUTISTIC BROTHER!

The fact that it just ended by zooming towards David's fucked up face as he was repeating a square-root problem and ending it with "it was supposed to be harmless" just left a bad taste in my mouth.

He works for Cerberus...he's not a rational human being.

That being said Overlord has one of my favorite lines in the ME universe.

"The Illusive Man doesn't broker failure!"

Since the fuck when!?

All the failures die.

That's why all Cerberus employees are new recruits.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Indeed it is, one of the finest pieces of DLC I've played.

Seriously...it's been what...almost 2 years since that was released and I still haven't seen a piece of DLC that has come close to it.

Yeah, it's pretty solid. I just finished Overlord for the first time, and damn, when it wasn't startling me or creeping me out, it kinda depressed me, near towards the end.
    How can some jack-ass do something so horrible to his brother. HIS AUTISTIC BROTHER!

The fact that it just ended by zooming towards David's fucked up face as he was repeating a square-root problem and ending it with "it was supposed to be harmless" just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah I did as well. Despite being an evil prick.I couldn't be renegade there..

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Arrival was not a great DLC. It ended well, but felt extremely padded out, infinitely more so than Shadow Broker.
    And I get that Kenson became crazy or whatever, but what was with keeping Shepard alive? And sending waves of troops to fight her when the artifact would have knocked her out anyway? And healing her without any sort of restraints at all whatsoever? And not only that but apparently bringing her closer to the Project control center? What a brilliant idea that was.

What you're saying is I should never watch a Bond movie with you? ;-)

Whenever I watch Bond movies I always wonder how many STDs he has to have by now.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I can only assume the prevalence of the Mattock in ME3 marketing materials means it used to be rare and is now in mass production, ergo it sucking so, so much. I also tried the Locust out and was unimpressed, so it looks like they just knocked the DLC guns down to normal or subpar range to make room for the other awesome weapons (Widow untouched as lord of annihilation).

Also the Locust weighs like twice as much as the Avenger, which seems preeetttyyy weird. I can have +190 or +200% cooldowns carrying just the Avenger, so I don't know why I'd bother with much else on power classes unless I preferred the pistols (I don't).

Edit: I love the Avenger aesthetically, so I'm pleased as punch that it's no longer immediately obsolete like it was in ME2, but I mourn the fallen DLC godkings.
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait, didn't someone say the Asari G-spot is the
    Lower back? I just got to that bit in Shadow Broker and all liara says is that it's a lower part. I figured Azure just meant groin.

The scene they're referring to is at the end of the DLC, provided you romanced Liara in ME1 and resumed it through impeccable paragon interrupts in Shadow Broker.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So is it just me, or is the Mattock hands down the best weapon in ME2? I usually take the Rev later on, but looking at the weapon raws, it's hard to see how it's better. It does 42% of the damage, fires 7% slower, and has lower accuracy.

Edit: I guess the mag is 5x the size, and you can hold 7.5x the ammo.

Mattock is pretty unanimously accepted as the best weapon

Doesn't mean it's the most fun to use

I have to disagree. I'd say the Revenant probably wins out. Sure, it doesn't do as much base damage as the Mattock, but if you compare the ammo and DPS of the Revenant to the Mattock's ammo and DPS, I'd say the Revenant wins out. The only thing it lacks is accuracy, but I've never had accuracy problems at mid-range combat, and with Ammo powers you TEAR through enemies.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I The scene they're referring to is at the end of the DLC, provided you romanced Liara in ME1 and resumed it through impeccable paragon interrupts in Shadow Broker.

You have to be a space boyscout the whole game to resume it or can I keep on being a Renegade the rest of the time?

Also, after playing ME1, I don't really get a space hitler vibe from Ashley. She strikes more as:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZuZShxJq8M

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    You have to be a space boyscout the whole game to resume it or can I keep on being a Renegade the rest of the time?

You only have to hit the three, maybe four paragon interrupts during conversations with Liara in Shadow Broker.

s7Imn5J.png

You only have to hit the three, maybe four paragon interrupts during conversations with Liara in Shadow Broker.
    Ok, I'd hate to have to..yanno..be nice to people for the whole game just to hit those interrupts.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I can only assume the prevalence of the Mattock in ME3 marketing materials means it used to be rare and is now in mass production, ergo it sucking so, so much. I also tried the Locust out and was unimpressed, so it looks like they just knocked the DLC guns down to normal or subpar range to make room for the other awesome weapons (Widow untouched as lord of annihilation).

Also the Locust weighs like twice as much as the Avenger, which seems preeetttyyy weird. I can have +190 or +200% cooldowns carrying just the Avenger, so I don't know why I'd bother with much else on power classes unless I preferred the pistols (I don't).

Edit: I love the Avenger aesthetically, so I'm pleased as punch that it's no longer immediately obsolete like it was in ME2, but I mourn the fallen DLC godkings.
    Wait, didn't someone say the Asari G-spot is the
    Lower back? I just got to that bit in Shadow Broker and all liara says is that it's a lower part. I figured Azure just meant groin.

The scene they're referring to is at the end of the DLC, provided you romanced Liara in ME1 and resumed it through impeccable paragon interrupts in Shadow Broker.

I think I just finished it. Could you clarify? I did the
    Interrupt to stop her talking where Shep kissed her again. That all the romancing I can do? I did do the ME1 romance with her as well.

Also: Hanar Jugglers. WTB video.

Go talk to her again and invite her to the Normandy (which is a good scene regardless of romance).

s7Imn5J.png
    edited February 2012
    Go talk to her again and invite her to the Normandy (which is a good scene regardless of romance).

Oh, excellent, thanks.

Also, Grunt googled "Dinosaurs" and that's hilarious. edit: And reads hemmingway! This is fantastic. Truly this is the best DLC thing I have ever seen.

SniperGuy on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Ok, I'd hate to have to..yanno..be nice to people for the whole game just to hit those interrupts.
    Interrupts, not checks. And they're really quick, so have your fingers on the mouse buttons.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Wait, so if you hit those, then invite her back to the Normandy and play it, out, you can resume the romance in ME3?

I heard you can resume her romance if you did it back in ME1, but I assumed you had to be loyal throughout all of ME2. I always thought Shadow Broker was more of a one night stand.

edited February 2012
    I'm pretty sure you can resume it regardless in ME3 so that people who didn't get the DLC aren't screwed. Doing it in Shadow Broker just means you've already resumed it. And possibly then cheated immediately afterwards, but there you go.
    Also, Grunt googled "Dinosaurs" and that's hilarious. edit: And reads hemmingway! This is fantastic. Truly this is the best DLC thing I have ever seen.

There's another really good joke in Grunt's dossier.
    So he looked up war writers, right? And he starts reading Hemingway. He finishes two of them, and gives up early on in The Sun Also Rises.

The Sun Also Rises is about a guy who is impotent.

Then he deletes A Farewell to Arms, which ends in a woman dying after a stillbirth pregnancy.

Sensitive subjects for krogan!

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Wait, so if you hit those, then invite her back to the Normandy and play it, out, you can resume the romance in ME3?

I heard you can resume her romance if you did it back in ME1, but I assumed you had to be loyal throughout all of ME2. I always thought Shadow Broker was more of a one night stand.

You can probably pick it up no matter what, even if you didn't touch it in ME1 or 2 and if you cheated.

I really doubt they'll lock them at all based on ME2.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    So a few things I've learned about Gold:

Salarian Winfiltrator is still fantastic

The easiest mission to get for the 10th wave is the kill these guys missions, as long as you've saved enough rockets you can stem the horrible tide of eight billion atlases and twelve billion phantoms pretty quick

The best tactic that I've found is to just be constantly retreating. This way, you generally don't have to worry about the turrets and Atlases ruining your shit. You can kill most of the little dudes and phantoms, and once they've been taken care of, you can push back and fight the Atlases.

Lemming wrote: »
    Run away and shit Proximity Mines everywhere.

Just about sums it up. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Arrival was not a great DLC. It ended well, but felt extremely padded out, infinitely more so than Shadow Broker.
    And I get that Kenson became crazy or whatever, but what was with keeping Shepard alive? And sending waves of troops to fight her when the artifact would have knocked her out anyway? And healing her without any sort of restraints at all whatsoever? And not only that but apparently bringing her closer to the Project control center? What a brilliant idea that was.
    the reapers were trying to get shep indoctrinated

EDIT: got to wave 10 on gold tonight, but goddamn if there weren't 15 atlases to kill us all on the escape wave

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    Oh, question. If I do the suicide mission at like, level 28, then when done, keep doing stuff till level 30, when I import to ME3, will I be 30? Or does it save the import immediately after the suicide mission?

• SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular

For the record, I do enjoy Bond movies as long as they feature an action component awesome enough warrant suspension of disbelief. Arrival never gets close to that point.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    SkyEye wrote:

For the record, I do enjoy Bond movies as long as they feature an action component awesome enough warrant suspension of disbelief. Arrival never gets close to that point.

I dunno

killing all those batarians and the awesome explosion at the end were cool enough for me to ignore the plot holes, and it has cool gameplay areas

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Because I like talking about how SS2 is better than BioShock...
    Gameplay has nothing to do with why everyone liked Bioshock, since it's pretty dull and never 'feels' right. It's all about the story and the atmosphere, which were both excellent despite some pretty big conceptual problems.

As I recall, executive meddling foced Irrational to add a possible happy ending. That makes me think that the real ending of BioShock is
    right after you kill Andrew Ryan.
    But, as DAII and Mafia II show us, gamers hate unhappy endings.
    Honestly, if they'd kept the Sad ending as a constant through both the Happy and Bad ends, I think that would have been more true to the spirit than anything else.
    Basically no matter what, I thought that the Splicers should get ahold of a military sub whether you save all the girls or kill them. Hell, SS2 had the question mark over the surviving couple.

sig.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I decided to try playing the ME3 single player demo again. I wanted to see what happened if I picked "A lot of people died"... apparently jack shit. What a waste. Wrex, Garrus, and even fucking Mordin and Kirrahe are still there! I guess they were lazy and didn't want to include additional dialog/models/textures to keep the size down, but come on... why even give the option!? On top of that, my Infiltrator didn't even get a fucking Sniper Rifle (this after I filled up Cloak... *sigh*)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    So I decided to try playing the ME3 single player demo again. I wanted to see what happened if I picked "A lot of people died"... apparently jack shit. What a waste. Wrex, Garrus, and even fucking Mordin and Kirrahe are still there! I guess they were lazy and didn't want to include additional dialog/models/textures to keep the size down, but come on... why even give the option!? On top of that, my Infiltrator didn't even get a fucking Sniper Rifle (this after I filled up Cloak... *sigh*)

Well of course it wasn't going to make a big difference in a demo, just there to give a taste of the options in the full game just like why all the origin choices are in the demo too

seems a bit silly to get really mad at bioware for being lazy

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:

Well of course it wasn't going to make a big difference in a demo, just there to give a taste of the options in the full game just like why all the origin choices are in the demo too

What's the point though? If the decisions mean absolutely nothing, why even give you the option?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Because modifying the character creation screen just to placate the people who are mad that a demo doesn't show the breadth of story options available in the full game isn't worth it.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote:

What's the point though? If the decisions mean absolutely nothing, why even give you the option?

it's kinda tough to divorce one segment from an entire operational system, especially for a demo

edited February 2012
    Warlock82 wrote: »

This is a parody right?

Guys?

Right?

EDIT: Gaaaaaaaaaaah, I knew ME2's writing was good but I forgot JUST HOW FUCKING GOOD IT IS. Garrus is the best space Batman ever.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    EDIT: Gaaaaaaaaaaah, I knew ME2's writing was good but I forgot JUST HOW FUCKING GOOD IT IS. Garrus is the best space Batman ever.

You forget one important thing: Batman doesn't kill.

Or did you?

• RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Yeah, Garrus is not Space Batman.

He's the Space Punisher.

blondeshep.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Garrus is the best character in the ME franchise hands down

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I like how on some other forums the inevitable ME3 backlash has spawned it's own backlash.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I was going to replay ME2 for my save, but fuck it, too many other games.
    So I got myself the perfect ME1+ME2 save from the net and am now prepared :D

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Egos wrote: »

Or did you?

Oh yeah, I forgot that Batman is a giant bitch.
    Razia wrote: »

He's the Space Punisher.
    Yeah, there we go.

EDIT: God damn, Engineer has been the best class ever since ME1 hasn't it? Even at low levels in ME2 this class just absolutely slaughters everything (and no, I'm not playing on easy mode).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Stole this from SE++. First ME3 review. Not the entire review but bullet points and a score.
    tayvaan wrote: »
    So apparently the German magazine gamestar has come out with their ME3 review, here is a summary I got from BSN (no spoilers)
    -15-20 hour-long main quest
    -Around 40 hours playtime in total- side missions are vital to amass enough opposition to the Reaper threat
    -90 minutes of cutscenes
    -No loose ends or cliffhangers, the game is truly an appropriate end to the trilogy with a very intense and touching finale
    -More than 100 scenes, conversations and/or events change depending on our choices after importing a save-game from ME2- from something small like someone thanking us for completing a mission to bigger repercussions which would be to spoilerous to write down- you are definitely going to feel the consequences, and not always like them
    -If and how many of these quests we complete influences how the game ends, and who- individually and globally- survives
    -While the game can be enjoyable for newcomers as well, because the game is strong on its own mechanically and story-wise, it is recommended to play the first two entries to make more sense out of the wealth of information that the game builds on
    -There's an interesting sequence after the end credits
    -The „Role-Play“ mode of the game (In contrast to „Action“ and „Story“) feels very much like ME1
    -The game gives you more opportunity to customize your Shepard. Each class has 8 talents with 6 levels each, and up from Level 4 there are two branches to choose from to level up each individual talent differently. Weapon customization is also a factor and noticeable, but the effects (which have both pros and cons) are only marginal
    -Balancing isn't optimal
    -The game is noticeably more difficult up from „Medium“, which makes using the correct weapon mods and talents integral to survive. Shepard also shoots more accurately in cover.
    -The AI, on the other hand, is still not very advanced
    -There are multiple turret sections which aren't very well directed
    -Despite the shortcomings in level design, which are similar to ME2, the game is constantly thrilling, spectacular and dramatic- largely thanks to the well-presented story and dialogue- and there are lot of small and large choices again to ponder on
    -Scanning isn't nearly as repetitive as before, because it works a lot quicker now and incorporates a new mini-game where you have to navigate your ship away from Reaper threat
    -The new melee option is fun, but a little overpowered
    -Graphically, the low polycount, lack of detail and low texture resolution disappoints- the characters are well animated and modeled however, and the overall look, despite its age, is quite moody
    -Great dynamic soundtrack and sound-effects
    -Our progress in the war effort is constantly trackable on a terminal on the Normandy
    Sound 10/10 Quests/Plot 10/10 Characters 10/10 Combat 8/10 And all other areas 9/10 Overall 9/10

well that sounds okay I guess

I am so behind on this thread, but this review, it's like everything I've ever wanted from ME3.

Hnnnng... why is it not March sixth yet?

Just nine more days, just nine more days, just nine more days....

Ad astra on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

He's the Space Punisher.

No he's not. He's a Sinestro Corps version of Shepard himself.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just beat the first ME with my sentinel forgot i could change classes at the beginning of 2 so it was a huge pain. I love ME2 sentinels though for basically being space paladins
    The last time I played it was right before 2 came out so I got to relive a lot of fond memories and frustrations, what terrible auto saves and boss fights!

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »

Or did you?

Oh yeah, I forgot that Batman is a giant bitch.

He's the Space Punisher.
    Yeah, there we go.

EDIT: God damn, Engineer has been the best class ever since ME1 hasn't it? Even at low levels in ME2 this class just absolutely slaughters everything (and no, I'm not playing on easy mode).

engis suck compared to adepts.
    Can't find the relevant vid on tube atm but singularity + 3 warps = nothing left standing.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited February 2012
    Adepts ain't shit without an Engineer around to take those shields down. :D Meanwhile the Engineer is fully self-sufficient. Shields? Overload. Anything else? Incinerate + Combat Drone spam.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Adepts ain't shit without an Engineer around to take those shields down. :D Meanwhile the Engineer is fully self-sufficient. Shields? Overload. Anything else? Incinerate + Combat Drone spam.

You should try it before making such flagrant comments -.-
    Fact is, an adept with miranda/thane can kerbstomp through the game on insanity without breaking a sweat.
    shields and barriers are irrelevant as biotics are still usable on them and do damage.
    And as stated before, a singularity with 3 heavy warp detonations going off simultaneously = alot of dead people.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!