As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Jante [Chat]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    I would say that Midnight in Paris was WA having fun making the movie, not really indulging. It was a more mature Manhattan, to me.

I thought it was a really fun and enjoyable movie

hemingway talking like he writes was so fantastic

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    It occurs to me that for every future thread where we grouse about some imperfection of modern liberal democracy, TNC is going to oblige us to acknowledge just how far we've come

which isn't a bad thing, I guess

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I better go to bed, but I also enjoyed Midnight in Paris a lot.

Had one of those relationships.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My sister is 22 today.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The new Sun on Sunday is out!

Hoorah?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17169511

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Right. Went dancing. Now my feet hurt.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kalkino wrote: »
    The new Sun on Sunday is out!

Hoorah?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17169511

Before I click this link, I predict at least one front page story to be about a celebrity or a scandal.

Edit: Yep.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacob, if you're around, my ME3 demo download is at 97%. Do you wish to effect masses?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I just loaded an old episode of PATV (e 13, s3) and the advertisement was for Paddy Power - heavily pushing their mobile app/online betting, for the Cheltenham Races, using a new campaign around spotting pretty ladies and transvestites at the races, the trying to tell the difference. It clearly is an attempt at humour but it kind of left me cold.

Edit - here is a story on the PP ad campaign, from the Guardian. Apparently it has been pulled by several broadcasters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/23/paddy-power-ad-channel-4-bskyb?newsfeed=true

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/02/paddy-power-trans-rights

Kalkino on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    OK - If I wanted to move back to England, what the hell job could a 41-year-old English teacher, teacher-trainer, ex-manager, and part-time translator get? I suppose I could pass some Japanese tests and do something Japanese-related, but I doubt those jobs are common.

I'm fucked, aren't I? There are no decent jobs for people like me, especially nowadays.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    OK - If I wanted to move back to England, what the hell job could a 41-year-old English teacher, teacher-trainer, ex-manager, and part-time translator get? I suppose I could pass some Japanese tests and do something Japanese-related, but I doubt those jobs are common.

I'm fucked, aren't I? There are no decent jobs for people like me, especially nowadays.

Coach for the National Football team.

• Options

It may be hard in a recession, but then that is probably true for most of us.

• Options

Can you teach Japanese?

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Can you teach Japanese?

I imagine so, although I'm not sure the demand is there in the UK.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

Can you teach Japanese?

You'd be surprised - foreign language teachers are in short supply in a lot of areas. I know they are down here, at least.

• Options
    Can you try and test the waters by trying to freelance in London from Japan? Or would that be impractical

• Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Can you try and test the waters by trying to freelance in London from Japan? Or would that be impractical

I was just thinking the same thing.

• Options
    edited February 2012

Can you teach Japanese?

Can't hurt to look. Likely more need for that then translators. Might be limited to the more expensive schools but I can imagine that the teacher, teacher-trainer, and manager titles would likely look very nice on a CV for a teaching position.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Or maybe do some investigations as to how much demand there is for Japanese teachers at UK schools, then what you would need to do in order to be able to get such a job

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:
    I just loaded an old episode of PATV (e 13, s3) and the advertisement was for Paddy Power - heavily pushing their mobile app/online betting, for the Cheltenham Races, using a new campaign around spotting pretty ladies and transvestites at the races, the trying to tell the difference. It clearly is an attempt at humour but it kind of left me cold.

Edit - here is a story on the PP ad campaign, from the Guardian. Apparently it has been pulled by several broadcasters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/23/paddy-power-ad-channel-4-bskyb?newsfeed=true

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/02/paddy-power-trans-rights

Shoot Khoo a message, they always say they don't want shitty advertisement.

• Options
    A friends boyfriend makes musics that is apparently a hit in French clubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfQQknGpT8&feature=related

It has sufficient wub wub wub

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I may go for a trip to Cockfosters today, just for a photo opp with Cutethulhu

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i can't sleep

• Options
    i can't sleep

Nightmares or insomina?

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote:

Shoot Khoo a message, they always say they don't want shitty advertisement.

Good idea. I've also posted something in the PA Hub forum, on one of the episode threads

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    ME3 multi is sooooooo gooooooooood.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    ME3 multi is sooooooo gooooooooood.

I played a bit earlier. It was rather fun.

• Options
    Aw fuck me! I have to fill out my taxes for the previous year and I've had like 4 different employers and none of their numbers have been filled out for me in advance. :F

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i can't sleep

Nightmares or insomina?

insomnia

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Aw fuck me! I have to fill out my taxes for the previous year and I've had like 4 different employers and none of their numbers have been filled out for me in advance. :F

I think a warning came out two or three weeks ago that the pre-filled data was delayed this year, though the deadline I heard was 1st of March. I've never seen employer data not been pre-filled in previous years...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote:

I think a warning came out two or three weeks ago that the pre-filled data was delayed this year, though the deadline I heard was 1st of March. I've never seen employer data not been pre-filled in previous years...
    Ah thanks, i'll wait till March, then.

My pa already filled out his, so I figured I would do mine as well. But he has had the same employer all year so it's a walk in the park for him. I floated from temp job to temp job and did some freelance work as an "intern" while working full-time as well. It's all a horrible mess I don't want to sort out myself.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Managed to complete one with only two people. Both engineers. Was frantic as hell but our strategy of explosions and fire everywhere worked brilliantly.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    How is rad not on the internet?

We essentially live here.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Planning out a new game is both fun and disheartening in equal measure

booray

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So a bunch of other guys wanted to keep drinking a 30 pack and then go out for more drinking. After a couple beers I said I was done and left. Both kind of sad but also pretty happy about that.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote:
    So a bunch of other guys wanted to keep drinking a 30 pack and then go out for more drinking and I said no. Both kind of sad but also pretty happy about that.

Is there a word for this kind of sad-happiness

probably one in German

• Options
    edited February 2012
    my current favorite happiness word is bittersweet

Kalkino on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Cave Story is great but hoo boy is it frustrating.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    first real good night of sleep I've had in about a month. still feel tired but soon that should go away and I'll feel greeaaaaat

work time

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    wandering wrote:
    Cave Story is great but hoo boy is it frustrating.

I learned pretty damned quickly that taking pot-shots from a distance works wonders. Or to go back a few screens to shoot weaker monsters for upgrades and then go back to where I was stuck.

Also, you owe it to yourself to finish that game, it is the cutest awesomest little game. I played the original/vanilla version on my laptop and I loved every minute of it.

This discussion has been closed.