As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sid Meier's Civilization V: future tech lets you make new threads

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    If everyone is able to show up again next weekend that'd be great. We might be able to throw in one person that wants to join thanks to the AI, but if some can't make it/too many new people want to join then we might have to postpone that particular map until another time.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    To be honest, that AI is in a pretty weak position so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Shimshai wrote: »
    To be honest, that AI is in a pretty weak position so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    I'll take it :P

Also, you captured the best dialogue in your pics Shim. If you read it all, it sort of sums up exactly what happened on the other side of the continent.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

edited February 2012
    Yeah, I must be doing something wrong if you guys are pumping 70 science and 30 gold a turn. Around the end I was in the red for gold, and was really slow in finding new tech.

TolerantZero on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was hurting. I had a ton of luxury but not much in anything else.

steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    That was fun. I started in a fairly decent position.

cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/468610754593831968/D395422D3A0E3B31B0DEAC8C4D10A97053A79196/ There was another ivory just off in the fog of war there.

I completely forgot to take a screenshot of the early game cold war me and Kias were having over edirne. I was angry because that city basically blocked off any expansion I could have made to the west. I had nowhere to go to the east. Nothing useful was there, and to the north was canada.

I also got a screenshot where all 3 of the other players on the continent were vying for El Dorado at the time.

cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/468610754593833125/5DEE3BA5ECD0A2B468B7BCDD7124A3EF39387892/

And of course, I had to even the odds against Tolerant at some point. It cost a bit of gold buuuut...

cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/468610754593830041/03F4CA43A679E5AEAF71AAE1326EE357BD13FF55/

I stole those pearls right out from under him. If his city expanded, he probably would have gotten them.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Hahah, awesome luxury snatch!

steam_sig.png

edited February 2012
    I think that we should do FFA from now on; it's a lot less predictable, and we don't need to worry about balancing teams based on experience. It wouldn't hurt if we tried to explore other map types; Continents is interesting and all, but some variety would be nice.

TolerantZero on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kias wrote:
    I'll take it :P

Also, you captured the best dialogue in your pics Shim. If you read it all, it sort of sums up exactly what happened on the other side of the continent.

Did it capture the Egyptians building every wonder in the history of the world? Cause I feel like that was missing in those dialogues :lol:

I am rather glad to have a huge mountain range with only one passable land tile between me and the Egyptians. Now I just need to finish surrounding that tile with ranged units.

RIP Rambo. And go to hell oh battle odds adviser, telling Rambo that a decisive victory was expected.

Ketar on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    I'm all for islands.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    I would opt for pangea or ancient lakes myself, but islands could be fun since the AI can barely function on an islands map.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I would be interested in joining them MP Civ games.
    Just FYI and stuff.

Also, how rare is El Dorado exactly? I've only seen it once, and I've been playing since launch :/

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If there's interest we could get a game going early today, sometime between noon at 2pm eastern

Edit: And Civ isn't a game you ever expect to finish a multi game. You play until people need to sleep, then decide who would have won the game. I've put in hundreds of hours of Civ time, and have never been fortunate enough to finish a multi game

Veevee on
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Its certainly possible if you start a bit early, play quickly, and avoid technical difficulties.

If we can start as early as 2pm EST I can definitely join today as well.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    Yes please, that is perfect for me (I live in Spain, GMT+1).
    Civ V is kinda weird with saved MP games, but I do remember playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire via IP for like 100 turns, saving and playing some other day.

I still do, actually. Greatest TBS game ever, imo.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

I can play today, in fact it would be nice to play at a normal time of day for once.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    Ok, so lets get a game started at 2pm eastern, which is in 3.75 hours

Veevee on
    edited February 2012
    That's...8 PM for me. I would be able to play 4 hours tops (have to wake up real early on weekdays). Is that ok?

Megamaniaco on

Sure, we'll just stomp on your AI after you leave.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Perhaps we should make a list of everyone's timezones for the purpose of organizing mid-week games in reasonable hours.

GMT +2 here.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    edited February 2012
    I'll get back to you guys at around 1-1:30 pm EST if I can join. I have work to do but if I can finish enough before then, I might be able to join.

Also Mega, have you joined the Steam group yet? If not, I can send you an invite.

TolerantZero on
    "Megamaniaco" in Steam too. I'm in loads of groups, some PA, so not really sure if I'm in the one you're talking about :P

We just made a Civ-specific group to make coordinating matches better. It's fairly new.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    How do I see my screenshots? I closed the little box after I stopped the game so is there anyway to call those back up or are they lost since I didnt publish them?

If you go to your steam game library and click on Civ V, if you scroll down past the news section, there's a section at the very bottom for screenshots.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    Screenshots that aren't published don't go away, so you should still have them.

TolerantZero on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    How long do your games last? I'm in the EU so I'm not sure if it's viable for me to join both due to the time zones and if lag is an issue... (I've got a 100mbit fiber line, though).

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I guess if you have to go the AI takes over, so no one should really feel bad about not being able to stay.

I would expect finishing a game to eat up the better part of a day. The last single player one I did was somthing like 6 or more hours.

So if the next one starts in a few hours, I guess it would eat up the better part of my night, and my wife probably won't be too thrilled. :)

Any EU takers?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    Well I'm in Ireland and I've been playing without any lag issues, at least no more than anyone else. Plus my connection would be nowhere near as good as yours!

I'm waiting around for that game in a couple of hours though, I think it'll be about 7Pm GMT start.

steam_sig.png
    Yep, that's the one I'm waiting for too. 8pm GMT+1 seems fine.
    Also, I don't usually have lag issues and I play from Spain with mostly americans.

edited February 2012
    Woo, two more europeans. Cool. I might just be able to convince the missus to try this out for once... :)

How do I get into the Steam group?

Also, I have zero DLC... is that a problem?

eobet on
    edited February 2012
    I'll send you an invite Eobet. And we've been playing with DLC off anyway, since a lot of people don't have any.

I assume you're Eobet on Steam too?

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    I would also be interesting in playing some MP civ one of these days, PST over here.

No Incans makes me sad =(

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I should be able to make today's game. Will hopefully catch everyone in about 2 hours.

I'll send you an invite Eobet. And we've been playing with DLC off anyway, since a lot of people don't have any.

I assume you're Eobet on Steam too?

That's correct, and the wifey was cool with it too. Going out shopping now, guess I'll see everyone at eight!

Just popping in to let you guys know I'll be available for today's game as well. 2pm EST/ 8pm GMT +1 seems to be the estimated time, so we should start joining the chatroom around that time.

Just joined the chatroom, I've got nothing to do for the next half hour so I'll be there waiting

+1. I'll just play a bit of DCUO while I wait.

This discussion has been closed.