As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On Burgs and Other Important Items of Nourishment

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Best bet is either a stew or a casserole

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    skettios wrote: »
    I saw a recipe for baked chocolate cinnamon donuts yesterday I may just have to try!

Please share!
    Pretty please?
    Sure! But I have NO idea if they're any good. They just sound good!
    Baked Chocolate Cinnamon Cake Doughnuts (Makes 6 doughnuts)
    1 Cup All Purpose Flour
    1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
    1 Tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 Tsp Salt
    1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
    2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
    1/2 Cup White Sugar
    1 Large Egg
    1/2 Cup Buttermilk
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Icing:
    1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
    1 Tsp Milk or Cream

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
    2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
    3. In a standing mixer (or bowl using a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar.
    4. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla and combine.
    5. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
    6. Spoon into greased and floured donut pan.*
    7. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
    8. To make the icing, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
    9. Cool.
    10. Drizzle with frosting and serve.

* If you don’t have a doughnut pan, place the dough in a large Ziploc bag, seal the bag airtight and then cut off a 1/2 inch of one corner. Pipe the dough into (circles) doughnuts on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool.

Just finished making these.

I'll report back when they're cool and the frosting has set.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Stale, I'm down for testing recipes for you.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    So... after all that recipe testing and buying ingredients for my friends' wedding cake

I am too sick with fever/mucus/chest pain to make a cake that anyone would want to eat, or attend the party.

I am bitching because I was really excited to do both of these things. :(

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Speaking of delicious food, when I go up to GDC I -almost- convinced my friend to go to French Laundry with me.
    I WAS SO CLOSE.

But instead we're going to Fleur de Lys.
    I guess I'll deal... 8->

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    neville wrote: »
    Speaking of delicious food, when I go up to GDC I -almost- convinced my friend to go to French Laundry with me.
    I WAS SO CLOSE.

But instead we're going to Fleur de Lys.
    I guess I'll deal... 8->

this would have been better if you'd cropped it down to fit into a tweet and tagged #FML

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    skettios wrote: »
    I saw a recipe for baked chocolate cinnamon donuts yesterday I may just have to try!

Please share!
    Pretty please?
    Sure! But I have NO idea if they're any good. They just sound good!
    Baked Chocolate Cinnamon Cake Doughnuts (Makes 6 doughnuts)
    1 Cup All Purpose Flour
    1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
    1 Tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 Tsp Salt
    1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
    2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
    1/2 Cup White Sugar
    1 Large Egg
    1/2 Cup Buttermilk
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Icing:
    1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
    1 Tsp Milk or Cream

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
    2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
    3. In a standing mixer (or bowl using a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar.
    4. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla and combine.
    5. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
    6. Spoon into greased and floured donut pan.*
    7. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
    8. To make the icing, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
    9. Cool.
    10. Drizzle with frosting and serve.

* If you don’t have a doughnut pan, place the dough in a large Ziploc bag, seal the bag airtight and then cut off a 1/2 inch of one corner. Pipe the dough into (circles) doughnuts on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool.

Just finished making these.

I'll report back when they're cool and the frosting has set.

Delicious.

Little chewy, truth be told, but I'm pretty sure that's because I used cake flour and thus had a higher protein thing going on. I'm a fan of cinnamon and it has a nice hit of that without being too overpowering (Chelsea doesn't really like cinnamon and enjoyed them). The frosting was a little too watery for my taste so I went my own way and added some more milk and then even more powdered sugar. Dunked the donut, pulled with a twist and not too bad at all. Tossed a little cocoa powder into the frosting to make half of them chocolate glazed.

Also, this was really rather simple. Took about a half an hour from "You know, why not." to done.
    424395_10150699336064595_530554594_11029525_1087798057_n.jpg

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    So going to make those soon
    Maybe tomorrow

Breakfast was Baked Eggs with Crispy Hash Brown Crust
    Didn't turn out like the picture, but it was still tasty!

Using my skillet more and more :)

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ooh, awesome, thanks @DrZiplock! I shall have to make them myself sometime... perhaps I can buy some of the ingredients this week (waiting to get paid!)

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    i know
    skettios wrote:
    So going to make those soon
    Maybe tomorrow

Breakfast was Baked Eggs with Crispy Hash Brown Crust
    Didn't turn out like the picture, but it was still tasty!

Using my skillet more and more :)

dang gonna do that next week

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    I spent an entire week at the Outer Banks last summer and didn't eat a damn bit of BBQ.

I was rather displeased with myself when I returned home. Found a damn good burger place in Kitty Hawk though.

go on

Whatup my veggie friend. Kill Devil's, right on Croatan Highway. Awesome food all around.

Next time I'm down there I'll have to stop by... Normally when we go down there it's only one night out to dinner, and since we stay in Southern Shores it's usually the Black Pelican

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah we stayed in Southern Shores as well. Get a milkshake too.

There's a nut store called Try My Nuts nearby, they sell some great blends

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    god damnit, I got all overexcited about making soup and forgot to leave space in the pot for all the juices from the roasting tin.

Time to ladle out some water I guess.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    @Stale I'll be happy to help out with a recipe or two or three or etc, so whenever you need help send a PM or something.

Tried a Honey/Dijon herbed chicken Thursday night for dinner. Was the first time we made it. Surprisingly delicious.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    This looks delicious and I am going to make it this week.
    http://peegaw.tumblr.com/post/17814004315/making-kimchi-bokkeumbap-kimchi-fried-rice

tumblr_lzkx70OC9N1qanxkz.jpg

Dru made this for breakfast today and holy mother of god you all should eat it right now, it was so good

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Belly so motherfucking happy. One note on the recipe. With the kimchi we used, I'd reduce the amount of thai chilis we used or even leave them out as well as leave out the fish sauce. Store bought kimchi can vary so widely by brand that you'll probably want to tweak the recipe depending on how hot and salty yours is. The kimchi we get is really good, but already has shrimp paste and fish sauce in it. So if you're using kimchi that doesn't have either, then you'll probably want to use fish sauce after all.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    @Stale they didn't have enough bags of white marshmallows for the sweet potato casserole, so I got some of the multicolor ones. Will that cook the same with the same volume of marshmallows?

• Options
    @Stale they didn't have enough bags of white marshmallows for the sweet potato casserole, so I got some of the multicolor ones. Will that cook the same with the same volume of marshmallows?

I know where you sleep. :evil:

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale, made that kimchi butter. Gonna cook up some ny strips tonight with it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    Stale, made that kimchi butter. Gonna cook up some ny strips tonight with it.

:^:

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Feeling pretty shitty.

Instead of having some of the soup I'm making, and had made a point of inviting them to share, my family bought some fucking ready meal from a supermarket.

Is my cooking that awful?

• Options
    Oof. That sucks Fyndir. But I wouldn't take it as an affront. It probably just means your family is dumb and has bad taste. Whenever we have family get togethers, my mom usually brings stuff she got in the frozen section at Costco because to her that shit is so good! Note that she also has told me that those Jennie-O turkey loafs are really good and convenient. Bleach.
    She'll compliment what I make, but I get the impression she's doing that because I'm her son and she still prefers the premade stuff she buys.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Different taste buds tolerate different things

I think of Ratatouille

E: by which I mean how in the movie, most of the rats couldn't taste all the nuances and flavors, they just ate whatever and liked it

Quoth on
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Feeling pretty shitty.

Instead of having some of the soup I'm making, and had made a point of inviting them to share, my family bought some fucking ready meal from a supermarket.

Is my cooking that awful?

no offense, but my ex-wife's father used to eat a diet completely devoid of salt and fat. Anytime they invited us over for food, it was terrible.

When you have people who regularly eat with salt and fat, meals without are tough to tolerate. I'm betting that may play a part in their choice.

Or they're just huge twats.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, that's a good point. I forgot that you avoid salt. I'd probably find your cooking quite bland also.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, cool, it is just that my cooking is that bad, like I suspected.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    When I was visiting my wife's relatives, one of her relatives (an Uncle) ate his food bland. Bland. It was the first (and last) time in my entire life that I've ever put sour cream on my turkey just to give it flavor.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i bought too much kale

gotta eat all this kale

forgot that i was going away for a week

kale party

poo
  • Options
    i could make kale chips

poo
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Teach me the ways of kale, my husband wants to eat it

• Options
    i dunno, i just put butter and garlic and salt and sautee and eat it

i think i'll try the kale chips thing to get rid of some kale though, baking it in the oven with olive oil

poo
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    OH but ive had this at a restaurant: http://www.tastingtable.com/recipe/kale_salad_recipe_tastingtable.pdf ITS REALLY GOOD

edit: more detailed one: http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/69770/

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Kale chips are delicious.

However, tonight we put our kale into soup.

Chicken Stock
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Asparagas
    Kale
    Two tablespoons of miso
    Some rice noodles
    Some tofu that I marinated then sauteed to be crispy on the outside

Boom. Soup.

• Options

Are you avoiding salt and fat because you want to be uber healthy or because you have severe dietary restrictions?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    there is a restaurant in queens that opened last year called Salt & Fat

i've been meaning to try it

http://saltandfatny.com/html/menu_dinner.html

and from my personal nutritional point of view it actually looks pretty healthy

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've totally lost my appetite and it suuucks. I keep having a bite of whatever and just setting it down and walking away. I have basically eaten nothing but oranges for three days.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

Are you avoiding salt and fat because you want to be uber healthy or because you have severe dietary restrictions?

I'm actually not particularly avoiding fat beyond generally trying to cut down my calorie intake to help me lose some weight, salt I am meant to be treating approximately like the devil, because of both my blood pressure and my renal failure, basically anything I buy / eat on a daily basis should be <0.3g / 100g of salt (<0.12g / 100g of sodium), along with a list of foods to avoid, including ham, bacon, shellfish, burgers, cheese, pickles, and a bunch of other things I don't remember off the top of my head.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I've totally lost my appetite and it suuucks. I keep having a bite of whatever and just setting it down and walking away. I have basically eaten nothing but oranges for three days.
    At least you don't have scurvy?

• Options
    That's true!

Or a goiter, I was just looking those up yesterday.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

It's a boy.

This discussion has been closed.