As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shushi Art and Comics [NSFW]

ShushiHolicShushiHolic Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Artist's Corner
Yeah, animu art. The horror. A collection of old stuff and newer stuff.

39687129998811599141348.jpg

spacemanc.jpg

lifewithalexbywillkill4.jpg

comiccats.gif

ohdeviantartbywillkill4.jpg

luxfinish.jpg

Grifter on

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Bonus points for being critical of other people's bullshit.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    You made me laugh some. I approve. Post more. Comics were pretty gud. :^: :^:

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Be careful about not putting your character's feet perfectly level and on the same plane. It can make them look stiff and cardboard-cutout-y.

You've got some cute stylistic stuff happening. I'd say now you really need to focus on finesse of line and the flow of the form. For the latter, doing a lot of gesture drawings from reference (photo, mirror, figure modeling sessions, sketching at a bus stop) is going to take you a long way.

For the former, you need to work on drawing with longer, more confident strokes. In the third comic you posted especially, you've got a lot of really short, sketchy lines happening all over the place. They break any flow in the contours of the form, and show a lack of forethought in how you're putting down each line. Remember, when you're sketching, your earliest strokes should be the longest and the broadest. Here's a page full of 30 second gesture drawings, as an example. Notice how he's using a single, continuous line to represent entire sections of the body. In some cases, he's drawing arms and hands without even lifting the pen off the paper. In these more detailed sketches byBurne Hogart, you can see how he's using as few lines as possible to describe the form of the hands. He might go over certain areas a few times, but it's always in long, confident strokes. Why make a dozen short marks to represent the back of the hand, when you can do it much more efficiently and effectively in 2 or 3 strokes? It's called "economy of line", and it's probably one of the most important lessons to keep in mind no matter what style of drawing you're doing.

Your linework right now kind of suffers from a sort of jitteryness. I think if you do regular gesture drawings, and constantly strive for the best economy of line, you'll see the quality of your linework improve by leaps and bounds. The Questions and Tutorials thread links to a number of really good online tutorials for how to get started on that.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I like your work, it has some nice personality. Also the comics were well done, and that last piece made me laugh aloud. I'm not exactly sure what it's referencing, but feel like I should. Either way, funny!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote:
    I like your work, it has some nice personality. Also the comics were well done, and that last piece made me laugh aloud. I'm not exactly sure what it's referencing, but feel like I should. Either way, funny!

stolen from know your meme

Origin

The phrase comes from a quote by Nintendo executive Reggie Fils-Aime[1] during Nintendo’s demonstration of Wii Fit at E3 on July 11th, 2007. As Shigeru Miyamoto and translator Bill Trinen presented the Wii Balance Board, Fils-Aime walked up onto the stage and stated, “My body…My body is ready,” before stepping onto the accessory to begin the demonstration.

• ShushiHolicShushiHolic Registered User regular
    Thank you guys, I'll post more tomorrow.

New: then_and_now_by_will_kill_4_pretzels-d4q0z6p.jpg
    Old:knight_colored_by_will_kill_4_pretzels-d4f5a0f.jpg
    Cosplayer Related: oh_gawd_by_will_kill_4_pretzels-d3c33l7.jpg
    Pokewalker____What__by_Will_Kill_4_Pretzels.jpg

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I can't really read the newest pokemon one annnnd maybe it's NSFW with the "furious masturbation"?

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Wow, you really hate chubby girls huh?

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure if the artist was boy or girl which would seem to kinda make a big difference in terms of insensitiveness.

Also, even though the last pokewalker comic didn't make me chuckle, the text at the very end killed any chance of a successful funny. If you don't need to explain what's happening in a comic with words, then don't!

Also also, I think your comics have a certain charm to them, though could definitely use a dosage of effort. In that same poke-strip, I immediately noticed a copy pasted character, and wicked lazy backgrounds guy! Either there is no backgrounds or there is, but they look like you spent no time on them. I think putting some more effort into all aspects of your comics can only have positive effects.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I noticed that you show it clearly taped to the right hand, but then its attached to his left in the next panel.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    16736118532353744861348.jpg

Not really a background person, find it really boring to draw unfortunately. Which is sad, cause I can draw realistically very well, but have never enjoyed it. So when I have to draw backgrounds in comics, I draw like a 5 year old. Does that make any sense? lol

Oh, and I don't hate chubby girls, but I find they make a lot of excuses on how they view their bodies.

And yeah, I think its pretty obvious I'm a girl.

More old stuff:

whatbywillkill4pretzels.jpg
    adrianandchristinacombo.jpg
    ronerybywillkill4pretze.jpg
    ijustdontgiveabywillkil.jpg
    arnvaltypeangelbywillki.jpg

• .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular
    I particularly like the comic strips. The humor's not over the top, but definitely makes you smile. Especially when you can relate with where you're coming from. Good stuff.

pasig.png
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Not really a background person, find it really boring to draw unfortunately. Which is sad, cause I can draw realistically very well, but have never enjoyed it. So when I have to draw backgrounds in comics, I draw like a 5 year old. Does that make any sense? lol

So...you're lazy? d;

I know it's common for pillow people to lack hands and feet, but I would encourage drawing them. Avoiding them won't make you better at drawing them (;

So...you're lazy? d;

I know it's common for pillow people to lack hands and feet, but I would encourage drawing them. Avoiding them won't make you better at drawing them (;

If its a comic, they don't have hands. If its regular art, they have hands.

Some line art I am working on right now. About to color it.

elfgirlline.jpg

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular

So...you're lazy? d;

If its a comic, they don't have hands. If its regular art, they have hands.

Mel pretty much hit the hammer on the nail. Just as much time and effort should go into a comic as should "regular art"... really, your comics should be considered regular art. There's only one way to get better at something, and that's to practice. And your hands look like they could use a little bit of work.

Which version is better?

elfgirlredcolor.jpg
    elfgirlblackversion.jpg

• DakataDakata Registered User regular
    The top one because of the low and high lights.

From my end, the second one looks flat in the legs and hair and it puts an imbalance to the picture. since there is no high and low light, the legs and hair sink into one another while the arms, torso, face, and skirt pop out. I really like the direction of the black though, adds a bit to the emotion of the picture.

The first one is good use of highlights, but the legs can use a little more saturation. (if that's the correct term.. Dulling it out?) The turquoise-esque color really pops out a bit so you can either use a more brighter red for the hair or just dull out the legs some.

Your light source is coming from the top left yea?

"Life is a storm my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
    Dakata wrote: »
    The top one because of the low and high lights.

From my end, the second one looks flat in the legs and hair and it puts an imbalance to the picture. since there is no high and low light, the legs and hair sink into one another while the arms, torso, face, and skirt pop out. I really like the direction of the black though, adds a bit to the emotion of the picture.

The first one is good use of highlights, but the legs can use a little more saturation. (if that's the correct term.. Dulling it out?) The turquoise-esque color really pops out a bit so you can either use a more brighter red for the hair or just dull out the legs some.

Your light source is coming from the top left yea?

Yes, light is coming from top left.

Will try to make the hair pop more, and dull out the leggings a lil bit.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your coloring is very simplistic, both in lighting and in color choices. There is a lot of "this thing is green so I will use darker green for shadows and lighter green for highlights" I see some places where you've expanded you pallet a little, Mostly in hair, but it seems to be a little stunted, as if you were afraid to do so.

I recommend checking out some tutorials on painting. Here I have some of AoBs advice compiled: http://art-anecdotally.blogspot.com/2010/12/kevin-oneill-part-1-painting-and-light.html

even for a flatter, more anime style, having some basics of lighting is important for building form. You seem to be caught between painting and a flat manga style. You have some messy mixed opacity strokes, nothing looks informed and decisive. A combination of a better knowledge of form and some commitment to a coloring style will help you make more polished pieces. I would try doing some work of solid cell-shaded stuff and some purely painted, line-less works to challenge yourself and branch out.

I also Agree with Fug on your mark making skills. If you are going to keep you work relatively low on detail, and environment/background free, People are going to scrutinize on the most basic things in search for quality. Getting smooth as shit lines and getting solid, unquestionable colors will do a lot for your work.

edited March 2012
    Iruka wrote: »

I recommend checking out some tutorials on painting. Here I have some of AoBs advice compiled: http://art-anecdotally.blogspot.com/2010/12/kevin-oneill-part-1-painting-and-light.html

This was very helpful! Thank you. I will be using what I learned on my next drawing in terms of lighting.

ShushiHolic on