As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Clive Barker's Undying!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wait until Aaron shows you his artistic skills. Heh heh.

• Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote:
    Helloween wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    Also, after some testing I've found dispel does get rid of scarrows (the snake-cthulhu things) at a cost of 50 or so per kill. Not yet sure if it can strike more than one at a time with higher mana/amplifiers, but it does work even at level 1.

Only 50 per? Thats pretty decen.t Does it work on the bird enemies too?

Sadly, no. Best bet there is something with splash damage; skull storm's ideal, just fire at the ground near it. Molotovs work too if you can find some cover, since they sit still to work their drunk beam thingy.

Edit: In related advice, consider using your silver bullets on those flying hooded pricks. Obviously it's not quite as powerful as skull storm, but they're a lot less likely to dodge.

Hmm yeah really do need to start using them. I am a filthy horder after all.

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Pig Friday sounds delicious.

Been enjoying the LP as always Hello. Thumbs up. :)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Maaan. I missed the boojums. Probably the most dissapointing thing about AMR was the lack of them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Max haste then dump the rest into w/e @Amps.

Pretty sure you have skullstorm and haste maxed, as the max level is 5, 6 with the stone out.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If console commands are any indication, bird people and hostile bird people (Sil Lith inhabitants) are separate creatures, the former probably just for that cutscene. Looks like they didn't consider that a player wouldn't go after the amplifier/kill them on the way in, and thus forgot to clean that up when copy-pasting the tower for the next segment.

QUALITY CONTROL

Oh well. We got "Big purple barrier! Seems legit. *walks into it* Augh!" out of the set, that made it worthwhile all by itself :lol:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    And there's no reason not to use silver bullets now you goose. And use phosperous rounds on the plants, one shots em.

You're nearing the home stretch, and boy are you gonna have fun soon. :rotate:

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    And there's no reason not to use silver bullets now you goose. And use phosperous rounds on the plants, one shots em.

You're nearing the home stretch, and boy are you gonna have fun soon. :rotate:

WAT. Silver is prob like, pricy! I cant just waste patricks funds like that :(

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Pfft, it's not like he bought them or anything, he's a looter! A crazy, drunk, mystical, irish looter!

• Options
    I take umbrage with this game's depiction of the Irish as magical drunken thieves, incomprehensible lighthouse operators, and insane relatives that fight amongst each other at the behest of outside forces.

I'll have you know we* also have a proud history of being an inexhaustible source of expendable labor.

...waaaait a minute...

*Being the owner of a power boat and speaking a little conversational French, I think it's safe to say I understand a little about Irish history.

• Options
    Stolls wrote:
    I take umbrage with this game's depiction of the Irish as magical drunken thieves, incomprehensible lighthouse operators, and insane relatives that fight amongst each other at the behest of outside forces.

I'll have you know we* also have a proud history of being an inexhaustible source of expendable labor.

...waaaait a minute...

*Being the owner of a power boat and speaking a little conversational French, I think it's safe to say I understand a little about Irish history.

You sir sound like a proud and worthy irishman. So what did the Lighthouse guy actually say?

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Helloween wrote: »
    Stolls wrote:

...waaaait a minute...

You sir sound like a proud and worthy irishman. So what did the Lighthouse guy actually say?

Well, I'm a bit rusty and naturally some things are going to be lost in translation. There are also other factors: regional dialects, local sayings, the lunar cycle, and so on. The essence of it is clearly "Dude went that way, here's a key, there's some stuff in the house." But if you're looking for what he actually said, well, lemme take a stab at it:

"So I was havin' a point with the woife, see, and this loonatic comes in all "I need a man ta' ramble about poirates an' tieves an' such, soundin' stereetypicl'y Oirish and drunken while he does it. I'll pay ye' fifty pounds, or euros, or whatever the fook currency we used in Oireland back then." Now dis bein' South Chersey and me bein' o' Polish descent I could only fulfill one of dose quali'ies, but for fifty I was damn sure gonna try. Anyway, he went dat-a-way, here's a key, there's some stohf in the house. Ye cahn't miss it, 's one of the few dahrs in this country t'ain't stook 'r jahmed."

Like I said, some stuff just isn't gonna translate cleanly. I'm told that's how The Troubles started.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wow, that's like a mash-up of about half a dozen different Irish accents in there Stolls.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Its like here in the west country, we have fifty different words for tractor. oo arr! But still, bad voice acting all around in this game

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Wow, that's like a mash-up of about half a dozen different Irish accents in there Stolls.

Yeah, would've been another half-dozen but I had to edit out references to potatoes and leprechauns due to time constraints. Was tempted to quote that one VersaLife dude from Deus Ex who's inexplicably accented, but I never could figure out if that was bad Irish or bad British ("I bloody hell refuse to work at gunpoint again, I'm a professional goddamnit!")

Also, further testing has revealed that bullets bounce off of shields. Trsanti will eventually kill themselves doing this.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Where can you even get this game anymore? Back in the day, I used to have a physical copy.

• Options
    As far as I'm aware a physical copy is the only way to have it legitly.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This is why we need a used game market for the PC. *grumble*

• Options
    This is why we need a used game market for the PC. *grumble*

It's really cheap on Amazon tho, if you can get it there, it didn't do all that well and isn't that popular so its price never shot up like Alice or V:TM:B

• Options
    I love the fact that patrick, the man who has killed multitudes of lovecraftian demons, murdered almost all the members of a ghost family, and can summon exploding skulls at will, passes out when a headless man flails around for a bit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    I love the fact that patrick, the man who has killed multitudes of lovecraftian demons, murdered almost all the members of a ghost family, and can summon exploding skulls at will, passes out when a headless man flails around for a bit.

Cutscene failures. Every godamn time.

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    So, I haven't watched your older LP's recently, but was there a game that you winged during as much as this? I remember winging at Torque's paper legs and crashing, and Mary Shelley, and....EVERYTHING in Homecoming, but I don't think it was ever this much. I haven't laughed like this in awhile.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hello thinks he hasn't had access to lightning spears the whole time. Does someone else want to tell him? I'm not sure I have the heart.

(I think they only work outdoors, incidentally.)

That falling death down the waterfall near the start is legitimately bullshit, however, as I was able to nab the amplifier doing that same thing. I can only guess there's a height threshold for the death field and I just got lucky. I dunno, maybe you're meant to fly up the waterfall? Really weird. Also, as likely mentioned in the comments by now, phoenix eggs work like guided missiles. They don't hit as hard as skull storm - pretty sure nothing else in the game does - so they're really only useful for select situations involving moving or otherwise hard-to-hit targets at a distance. In most cases you're better off sticking with your other tools, but feel free to play with a few if you're curious.

You're on the home stretch now, boyo. Do it for Oireland! Do it for the left hand! Do it for doors that ain't stook, jahmed, or won't bahdge!

Stolls on
  • Options
    I told you you were gonna have fun. Isn't Eternal Autumn just a goddamn blast?

Also yeah, spear gun + lightning= lightning spears, but everything in EA sucks ass compared to maxed Skullstorm, Scythe+Shield and Haste.

• Options
    Yeah, I tested that after I finished. I am actually suprisied it worked. Shield has become super useful here. Guided missles eh? DO they hit hard?

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    If the revolver shoots spitballs the phoenix eggs are nerf balls.

• Options
    While testing, it took about three of them to down one of the cavemen. Since I've seen cavemen take a fully-charged skull storm without dying (though one hit from almost anything killed them afterward) it seems fair to say they probably hit as hard as one individual skull. Practically speaking you won't find enough eggs to use as a primary weapon, so if anything it's best used to quickly finish off a ranged enemy you've already softened up.

It's sorta like how they dump the sniper rifle on you at the very end of the AvP2 Marine campaign: theoretically useful, but it would've been better placed a few hours earlier.

• Options
    aww well thats a dissapointment. Ah well, waste away then i suppose :D

Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I look forward to the final boss fight, or as it's commonly referred to, King Bullshit.

• Options
    Oh good! King bullshit. Heir of the bullshit dynasty. Husband of queen Cryptic. That'll be fun to watch.

I cant remember the final boss, but I do remember it being annoying, from what I remember seeing.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The last boss is
    a big stone vagina.

• Options
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    "We must be nearing the end of the stage!" Poor poor naive Helloween. 8->

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yep. Now you must fight the
    Vaginal Gatekeeper. That is SO Clive Barker.

This game really does need a sequel.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Now that is some delicious rage.

Admittedly, I was yelling "BLOW UP THE HOLE" at the screen, since Vidya Logic 101 taught me that all cracks must be widened with explosives. Not that this forgives plant deathtrap room, of course. Really, Eternal Autumn is all the bad parts of the game concentrated into one section: nonstop enemies, uninteresting levels, and little to do except kill your way from A to B.

Anyway, if I recall right the only trick to this is keeping away from the thing without backing into the tentacles behind you. Blast it up high with skull storm, shoot into its mouth when it tries to draw you in. Keep moving, rinse and repeat.

• Options
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Good lord man! You've finished the game before I even got to the third set. I blame my non-existent free time, but I digress.
    What'll be next? The rate at which you're plowing through games might make choosing difficult.