As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On Burgs and Other Important Items of Nourishment

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    :whistle:Always look on the bright side of life.... :whistle:

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    All of the pregnant chicks at works probably knocked me up through osmosis.

BUT STILL

at least it's not a goiter.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith is the father.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    NOOOOOOOoooooo

And I never even sent him a messaaaaage

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That wouldn't stop him.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @quoth What shaz said about sauteing it works, doing it with olive oil and garlic is boss. You can bake it for a while to make kale chips, which are delicious. And I've made this here soup and it was downright excellent. Just make sure to rinse the crap out of it, no matter what you're doing to it, because it's gritty as whoa.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    How gritty are we talking

Like Maltese Falcon or Perdido Street Station

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote:
    Oh, cool, it is just that my cooking is that bad, like I suspected.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you avoiding salt and fat because you want to be uber healthy or because you have severe dietary restrictions?

I'm actually not particularly avoiding fat beyond generally trying to cut down my calorie intake to help me lose some weight, salt I am meant to be treating approximately like the devil, because of both my blood pressure and my renal failure, basically anything I buy / eat on a daily basis should be <0.3g / 100g of salt (<0.12g / 100g of sodium), along with a list of foods to avoid, including ham, bacon, shellfish, burgers, cheese, pickles, and a bunch of other things I don't remember off the top of my head.

So no your cooking ISN'T the problem.
    It is a health concern.
    You are doing the right thing in sticking to it.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yes he is!

And I like salt, just not in as large a quantity as others. But, if Stale would like testers, I'd happily stick to his recipe.

Mori and I don't cook as much as we ought to, and this thread - and talking about food - has actually helped prompt me make a few things, so yay!

I made a fish pie on Friday and realised I shouldn't be chatting to a guest while cooking. I ended up putting far too much milk in! Oh well! it was still tasty, but faaaaar too runny.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I'm watching "The Worst Chefs in America" and oh dear god it hurts me.

Chick on the show: "I really want these meatballs to be good, so I put these red herbs on to give it a bit of spice. Plus they look so cute."
    She threw on like a HANDFUL of saffron.

I actually yelled out "DEAR GOD NO"
    D:

nevillexmassig1.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »

Chick on the show: "I really want these meatballs to be good, so I put these red herbs on to give it a bit of spice. Plus they look so cute."

D:

Week's budget blown

Well, she's right.

Saffron does look pretty.

• DakataDakata Registered User regular
    While watching Restaurant Impossible, I keep picturing Robert Irvine punching a whole chicken through a cocky executive chefs head.

Now that would be entertainment. 8->

"Life is a storm my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."

D:

I love one episode of Chopped where a chef forgets to make a sauce and at the last minute he garnishes the plate with white truffle oil

The judges all yelled at him when he did it

Zakarian all standing half out of his seat, leaning forward like he could stop the guy

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

D:

I do not like you for motivating me to watch an episode of this! People all throwing shrimp into cooking oil so hot that it is pitch black and smoking, "I don't know what went wrong!" aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

D:

That's a spicy meat-a-ball!

• existexist Registered User regular
    does the show try and help them not be so shitty or anything? it sounds like a real bummer!

UmPiq.png
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    The point is to teach them how to cook throughout the season so that they make dishes at the end that the chefs can be proud of... it's a big competition so it should in theory be fun but instead I just feel bad both for them because they're being mercilessly mocked on television and all the food they're wasting for absolutely no good reason.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote:
    Oh, cool, it is just that my cooking is that bad, like I suspected.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you avoiding salt and fat because you want to be uber healthy or because you have severe dietary restrictions?

I'm actually not particularly avoiding fat beyond generally trying to cut down my calorie intake to help me lose some weight, salt I am meant to be treating approximately like the devil, because of both my blood pressure and my renal failure, basically anything I buy / eat on a daily basis should be <0.3g / 100g of salt (<0.12g / 100g of sodium), along with a list of foods to avoid, including ham, bacon, shellfish, burgers, cheese, pickles, and a bunch of other things I don't remember off the top of my head.

So no your cooking ISN'T the problem.
    It is a health concern.
    You are doing the right thing in sticking to it.

Yea, Fyn...what Nevs says is true. You've got to watch out for your health, man.

For those that are all "I'll test for Stale!" I need you to understand something: he likes salt. Call it his wannabe-southern sensibilities or the fact that between chemo and diabetes his tastebuds have been fried beyond repair...whatever it is, the man is heavy handed.

Still, stick to the recipe and I'll be sure to give him grief for it during the editing process.

I'd love to test for Stale, but given where I live, the probability of actually being able to follow a recipe exactly is very slim.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I spontaneously cried tears of joy when I saw the words kimchi, butter and steak.

That is usually reserved for acts of violence.

Fuck off and die.
    It's true, Korea removes your ability to read.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Makin' crockpot chili.

BLM - ACAB
    Quoth wrote: »

Perdido Street Station at least.

DrZiplock wrote: »
    For those that are all "I'll test for Stale!" I need you to understand something: he likes salt. Call it his wannabe-southern sensibilities or the fact that between chemo and diabetes his tastebuds have been fried beyond repair...whatever it is, the man is heavy handed.

Still, stick to the recipe and I'll be sure to give him grief for it during the editing process.
    I realise this, and I'd still promise to stick! Besides, Mori loves salt, so I'm sure at the very least he'd be fine. :wink:

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i wanna make some chocolate chili

poo
    Peen wrote:

Barfff

What is best way to clean kale then, besides just rinsing forever

• StaleStale Registered User regular

I really wish you could understand just how much my family was living in an isolated transplanted pocket of the south back home.

easysig2.jpg
    Stale wrote: »

I really wish you could understand just how much my family was living in an isolated transplanted pocket of the south back home.

I certainly won't begrudge you that you and your kin were living backwater style in Illinois. I'm sure there were dogs under porches, stills turning out shine and a lack of adequate dental hygienists....but that don't make it the south.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i've never had chocolate in a standard chili con carne that was both noticable and good.

chicken mole, however...

Thats it. You and I are taking a road trip.

easysig2.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Peen wrote:

Barfff

What is best way to clean kale then, besides just rinsing forever

I usually just separate the leaves out, rinse it a bunch, and hope for the best. I know some people swear by filing a sink or large container with water and just dropping the bunch in for a while to let the dirt and crud settle to the bottom.

Peen on

Think we can hook a wheel chair up as a side car on the harley?

Think we can hook a wheel chair up as a side car on the harley?

Naw, we can just bungee it to the bitch-seat on back.

easysig2.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    dirt adds flavor and grit

poo
    Fiiish pie!

Okay, so a traditional fish pie looks something like this:

Fish (usually white, like cod, but you can use almost whatever you like, although bearing in mind you probably don't want anything too expensive, as it'd defeat the purpose of a fish pie, which is meant to be cheap and simple and filling). About 1lb. For variety, include shrimp.
    Potatoes
    Cheddar cheese
    Milk
    Flour
    Butter
    Salt

Added extras: These vary depending on recipes, I like capers and tomatoes myself! Also, herbs to garnish. Parsley is a popular choice.

Quite simply:

The fish is poached in the milk in a pie dish; this can be done in the oven (20 minutes, about 350 degrees), until it is flakey, but still fairly firm. While the milk is poaching, boil the potatoes.
    Remove the milk, and break up the fish.
    Use the milk to make a white sauce with the flour and butter. Alternatively, you can skip this step and mix the milk in directly with the potatoes; in this case, do not use too much milk, like I did!
    Mash the potatoes, add salt and butter.
    Pour white sauce over the fish, mix in your extras (tomatoes, capers, whatever other vegetables you choose - I've seen peas and carrots added too!), top with the potatoes and finish with a layer of grated cheese.
    Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, 350 degrees.

That's your basic recipe; there are a lot of variations. Jamie Oliver's is a lot simpler and looks pretty delicious:
    • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1kg potatoes
    • 1 carrot
    • 2 sticks of celery
    • 150g good Cheddar cheese
    • 1 lemon
    • ½ a fresh red chilli
    • 4 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
    • 300g salmon fillets, skin off and bones removed
    • 300g undyed smoked haddock fillets, skin off and bones removed
    • 125g king prawns, raw, peeled
    • olive oil
    • optional: a good handful of spinach, chopped
    • optional: a couple of ripe tomatoes, quartered

This is a fantastically simple fish pie which doesn’t involve poaching the fish or making a tedious white sauce. Loads of good, fragrant veg are added quickly by grating them in. You can use whatever fish you like, making this as luxurious as you want it to be. If you like your fish pie to be creamy, feel free to add a few tablespoons of crème fraîche to the fish.
    PS Some of the supermarkets now offer lovely packs of different fish and shellfish for using in fish pies. Keep a look-out, and if you buy one you want it to be about 700–750g in weight for this recipe.

To prepare your fish pie
    • Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil
    • Peel the potatoes and cut into 2cm chunks
    • Once the water is boiling, add your potatoes and cook for around 12 minutes, until soft (you can stick your knife into them to check)
    • Meanwhile, get yourself a deep baking tray or earthenware dish and stand a box grater in it
    • Peel the carrot
    • Grate the celery, carrot and Cheddar on the coarse side of the grater
    • Use the fine side of the grater to grate the zest from the lemon
    • Finely grate or chop your chili
    • Finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks and add these to the tray

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    Dakata wrote: »
    While watching Restaurant Impossible, I keep picturing Robert Irvine punching a whole chicken through a cocky executive chefs head.

Now that would be entertainment. 8->

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjKOaWcrZU&amp;t=0m45s

actual chicken punch at 1:55

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
    Thanks, Janson!

This discussion has been closed.