As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shiren the Wanderer

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
So I found my old DS copy of the game, and it's quite wonderful to play it again, and I thought I'd make a thread!
250px-Shiren_cover.jpg

Fushigi_no_Dungeon_Furai_no_Shiren_3_Karakuri_Yashiki_no_Nemuri_Hime_Cover.jpg

So what is Shiren? Shiren is a roguelike, like many other roguelikes, it follows your pathetic attempts to make it to the bottom level of a dungeon while everything actively tries to kill you. Well that's not quite true, Shiren has some non-true rogue like modes, including its main story, where there are smaller dungeons and less mean items. However, there are "post game" dungeons that are 100 floors of fun and pain.

I also made this thread to be self serving. I may have gotten myself killed with a ton of valuable items on hand, and I really could use a rescue on the 8th level of the normal dungeon. My Strengthening jar is too valuable to just suck it up and let myself die.

If someone wouldn't mind rescuing :) The password is

3N0Z! D8GY 88XPS
X3NPS WN1K 2XX48
F05WK RDK3 !LWHN
BFM5H KYPW H2!30

The 0 are zeroes.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This was my first Rougelike, which I got on DS (the game is actually from SNES) and was simply too brutal for me. Which is a shame because I stockpiled some damn nice swords, armor, spells, and other crap I don't even remember.

What I do remember, is never getting past the treetops near the end where the ghost hits you so hard your armor flies off. D:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cell Armor. They "knock it away." The game is 30% Prep, 20% smart decisions, 50% PLEASE RICE CHANGER DO NOT HIT MY GOOD JAR.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Oh god, this game.

This game.

This. Fucking. Game.

I need to hunt down a used copy or something, the nights I spent playing it with a friend of mine were full of glorious ohshitohfuck.
    Legendary shit I'm telling ya.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote:
    Cell Armor. They "knock it away." The game is 30% Prep, 20% smart decisions, 50% PLEASE RICE CHANGER DO NOT HIT MY GOOD JAR.

What made not-finishing this game so painful was that I did everything right and was prepped to finish the job. The riceball munching douche was maxed out, I was getting full parties, I had all the items, and I just kept getting stomped.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I still have this game kicking around in my DS pile somewhere.

I love this game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wanna bust it out and help me choco?

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Shiren is amazing, even if the games are somewhat uneven in quality. The Dreamcast/PC spinoff game Asuka the Wanderer has nearly the same status as Super Mario Bros with the Japanese gamer crowd. I can't believe that anybody who enjoys the series as a whole really likes the 3rd game though.

I disagree with the importance of luck. Some luck is necessary, but there are players out there who can take even the worst start and win the 100 floor dungeons. There's a livecaster I follow who did the 100 floor dungeon in Asuka with a two-handed spear (IE. he couldn't even use a shield).

• Options
    what's the order of things? Like, which games are which #. I imagine what we have America side isn't 1 and 2.

• Options
    The DS game is a remake of the original Shiren. The Wii game is Shiren 3.

• Options
    people don't like the wii one? I've only put a few hours into it so far, but it seems solid...

• Options
    KhaylessKhayless Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh man, it's been years since I've played Shiren. I was gutted Shiren Wii was never released in PAL-land.

If no one else is interested, I'll have a go at a rescue attempt Tcheldor. I hope I remember how to play...
    On floor 8 of Old Mine, Shiren successfully completed a rescue.

Here's your revival spell:

8RFDL B8JP RJV80
    RTDQF 3N2T SW5BP
    YF3VS B5WV 2W13B
    ZF7LZ NT59 SL5C0

Khayless on
    3DS friend code: 3609-1786-8629
  • Options
    I will <3 you forever Khayless. It's not a hard rescue :)

• Options
    I owe you a ton :). Hopefully this has inspired some people to break the game out. I'll be making a run for the tainted path soon, and I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'll also share some advice if people want from the guy who's dumped 70+ hours into this game.

• Options
    So, Khayles rescued me, and then I promptly died on floor 2 of the Ceremonial Cave, when I hit a monster house, a Cell Armor Knocked away my +30 shield, and then a popster tank managed to level all the way to Oldster Tank by killing half of the monster house and causing the Inferno2s to multiply.

So, yea a Fitting end to 5 hours of prepping a +47 Sword and +30 shield. Now to rebuild and try again.

• Options
    A 3DS rougelike incorporating Wi-Fi for rescue stuff would be outstanding. It's a shame not everything can have a community the size of Mario Kart 7

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    After some trial starts in this i finally got a decent run going a few months ago. Seems the only way to make solid progress was to get a jar so you could send your best items back to the start though... Maybe im incorrect on that.

I made it to the point of no return just past the treetop rest point. I promised myself not to go beyond it until i was ready, but i played the game drunk shortly after and wasnt paying attention. Now im scared to turn it on.

Let that be a lesson kids. Dont drink and Shiren.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Somebody sig that.

• Options
    You make progress in a few ways: Many quests move closer to completion each time you play. For instance, in Mountain Top town you have to go to The Peak and eat its bleh food, and then next run go to the new restuarant there and eat its crappy food, and then on the next run start giving them money. etc. etc.

In the long run, you unlock 3 party members, 5ish new dungeons, open a new shop, and the ability to find certain powerful items randomly and such as you complete each dungeon.

Storing items in the warehouse lets you pick them up on another run to use them. Try not to get attached to your equip, you will lose it. that's how the game is.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So, yea a Fitting end to 5 hours of prepping a +47 Sword and +30 shield. Now to rebuild and try again.
    This is the problem that I had with Shiren the Wanderer. If you're playing a roguelike you can expect to spend a very large amount of time dying, which can be frustrating, but normally there's at least solace in the knowledge that you can always start again on equal footing. When roguelikes encourage or require grinding, death means wasting hours of mindless busywork and being forced to suffer through it again, rather than simply meaning that you'll be playing the game some more. That's the point where it becomes empty frustration for me.

The main dungeon, Bufu dungeon, and trap dungeon are all fun because they're all totally winnable from a naked start. But everything after that assumes that you have nothing better to do than spend hours gathering materials for a +50 masterwork sword just to be able to attempt the dungeon one time. The best case scenario is that your stuff is so good that it trivializes the content, and the worst case scenario is that you waste a ton of your time for no payoff. Neither situation was fun for me.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    The Final Puzzle is a 100 floor start w/0 situation as well. There are 4 dungeons that require no prep, and 4 that do.

You can of course do most of the other ones w/0 prep as well, but you ned to get lucky on drops, while prep reduces that need for prep.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    A 3DS rougelike incorporating Wi-Fi for rescue stuff would be outstanding. It's a shame not everything can have a community the size of Mario Kart 7

In Japan it's still actually not that hard to request a rescue for most of the games. On both Ustream and NicoNama there are fairly large communities dedicated to the games.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Streetpass rescues would be awesome, if they could somehow manage to get it to work. It'd take at least two tags to get one, though, so forcing the player to wait would be out of the question.

Edit: Ah, the Final Puzzle. There's nothing quite like realizing that the whole time that you've been cursing at the game for doing horrible things to you, it's actually been treating you with kid gloves.

jothki on
  • Options
    I enjoy the, "Hmm, I'd like to figure out what pot this is, what's a safe item to put inside to check...owait none"

• Options
    Also, I refuse to believe the Main Quest can be beaten from scratch, I played that game to death and developed the town and party as far as you can. :(

• Options
    A lot of people search for trap doors on the floor above the village on table mountain to keep on getting items from the store. Though yes, it is more difficult if fusion pots and bufu staves don't exist.