As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

End of Episode 3

Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished BovineThe sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Penny Arcade Games
So, it's over now, has been for a couple days. I don't know where else one would discuss episode 3 - this place seems as good as any.

spoilers abound if you haven't read. I'm just going to try and make sense of the ending. We'll see if I have this right:
-So, Tycho and Gabriel aren't able to stop the cult from assembling the paintings keeping the 3rd God trapped.

-The 3rd God wakes up, kills Tycho.

-Tycho's blood touching the 3rd God's painting awakens the *4th* God, who consumes the universe.
-OR-
-possibly Tycho was really the 4th God, and since he's dead the 3rd God wins and eats the universe. (I'm a little fuzzy on this point, but the end of 21 seemed to imply that the God in the painting was consumed shortly after being awakened.)

-Gabe and Doctor Blood wind up in hell, where it seems like Gabe will spend eternity beating up Blood, so maybe it's actually heaven for him? He seems to be resigned but optimistic about the whole thing.

-Tycho ascends to some afterlife or another with his father and his father's associates, who are planning to do battle with the last God.

Have I got this right?

H9f4bVe.png
Golden Yak on

• FlamesFlames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I...think? I'm not sure. Here's my various musing/questions:

I didn't catch the painting thing before, so thanks for that. But it sounds like Tycho got ripped to pieces, and his blood killed Yog Modaigh before he (Yog Modaigh) could be truly sentient. But...if that's the case, then how would he be able to rip Tycho to pieces? Unless...maybe the cult ripped him to pieces? I don't know.

Did Gabe die? I couldn't quite understand that. I mean, if the universe collapsed on itself, then I guess he would have, but...he seems a little death-resistant. But I guess the Hell part would kind of clinch the fact, too, though it seems a little peaceful for a place of eternal suffering. Allegory, maybe?

If Tycho was dead, then why would he need to be stitched together? Unless the Brahes are going to fight the last god as zombies...?

To be honest, I couldn't really follow the last bit at all. I'm hoping things get cleared up with the extra material Jerry promised, because I really did enjoy the story up until chapter 21.

Flames on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's what I got:
    Something killed Tycho. What, I'm not sure. Possibly Dr. Blood. Possibly even Gabriel, because I was under the impression that Tycho was still mask possessed.

When Tycho died, he was pulled in with the painting and sent to eternity/the afterlife/the neverlights or whatever they were called early in the story, the waterfall of light and whatnot where he and his father spent many-a-day gunning down those who hoped to survive the end of the universe, because the last verse of the poem dictates something along the lines of, when there's one God left and the candle goes out, it will be possible to enter some kind of afterlife?

And yes, I got Gabriel going to hell and punching the shit out of Dr. Blood. The Tycho aspect of it confused me. There is one God left, I presumed, which means that the clan Brahe can now pierce the house of God? Maybe?

EDIT!
    Some questions:

If Dr. Blood and the cult are working toward the same goal, why did they hire Tycho and Gabriel?
    What did the Necrownombicon want?
    What was the purpose of the cult?

It seems to me the book wanted the God of Doors for some reason, and it is stated, I believe, that 'door' is a loose interpretation of the God's true purpose, which is some kind of oblivion gateway.

So... maybe Gabriel destroyed the God by punching Dr. Blood through it, sending them both into oblivion where Gabriel would continue to beat up Dr. Blood for eternity.

I think that Gabriel does kill Tycho because of the mask, and that resurrects the God which is quickly killed when Gabriel destroys the paintings, fulfilling the last verse of the prophetic poem and giving the Brahe clan everything they worked towards.

Maybe.

TRIPLE EDIT
    I think I have it straight in my head now; the cult wanted to stop the resurrection of the God of Doors. They worshipped it, but did not want it killed. Dr. Blood/Newcrownombicon did.

Maybe?

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone here think it's possible for them to make this into a comic book? Or rather not possible but probable?

Teburninator on
  • FlamesFlames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some questions:

If Dr. Blood and the cult are working toward the same goal, why did they hire Tycho and Gabriel?
    What did the Necrownombicon want?
    What was the purpose of the cult?

It seems to me the book wanted the God of Doors for some reason, and it is stated, I believe, that 'door' is a loose interpretation of the God's true purpose, which is some kind of oblivion gateway.

So... maybe Gabriel destroyed the God by punching Dr. Blood through it, sending them both into oblivion where Gabriel would continue to beat up Dr. Blood for eternity.

I think that Gabriel does kill Tycho because of the mask, and that resurrects the God which is quickly killed when Gabriel destroys the paintings, fulfilling the last verse of the prophetic poem and giving the Brahe clan everything they worked towards.
    I don't think Gabe killed Tycho, because a) he had already punched off the mask and b) he was going after (and possibly killed by...?) Dr. Blood. I...I really don't know what the deal with the cult was...like, I think their sole purpose was getting Yog Modaigh back together...

WAIT A SECOND!

Okay, so since this is old news, I don't think spoilers are necessary, but does anyone remember the hidden message in chapter 4? Where the crap does THAT fit in?

Flames on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think our best bet is to just wait for Word of God on this. Here's to hoping the supplemental information will shed some light over what happened at the end.
    It's possible the God of Doors could have killed Tycho. I also maintain that the cult didn't want the god resurrected - that was Dr. Blood's goal - but to prevent resurrection because they knew should it come back, Tycho and Gabriel would have straight up murdered the everloving shit out of it.

Maybe.

I wish there were more chapters.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • BlayzeBlayze Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Good God, that was some needlessly overcomplicated writing. I mean, there's certainly a good chance I'm just thick, but all those chapters felt like I was trying to swim through treacle when there was a perfectly good pavement next to me that would let me walk towards my destination.

Blayze on
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blayze wrote: »
    Good God, that was some needlessly overcomplicated writing. I mean, there's certainly a good chance I'm just thick, but all those chapters felt like I was trying to swim through treacle when there was a perfectly good pavement next to me that would let me walk towards my destination.

Sortof agree, I really enjoyed the writing but in the last few chapters there was a bit too much going on and I couldn't follow it properly. :S

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • freakazoidfreakazoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I too was pretty confused the entire time. Was it just me or did it seem like everything was disconnected from everything else and it jumped around everywhere? :(

freakazoid on
    Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    edited January 2011
    Reading the whole thing back to back helped tremendously and didn't take that long. When I was reading as chapters were posted, it was difficult to keep track of things, though.

MalReynolds on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ettubraze?

For all this talk of blood and bloodlines and thrice cursed bloodlines, is there the possibility that
    The cult of masks had such contempt for tycho and his clan because it was a man fated to be named Tycho Brahe that would be the key to open the god of doors to that which was on the other side?

The cult knew that Tycho Brahe's blood would make the god of doors go to that place. That's why they were all named brahe because the vision/prophecy had no middle name. Just someone of that name with that blood, touching the god....this would mean that the painter was destined to trap the god

Whoa, head trip.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ettubraze?

'Et tu, Brahe?'

I think that's significant. I'm gonna take an hour or so to just re-read the whole thing.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • sdiedr02sdiedr02 Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I would complain about the long wait for the release of this game. But, honestly, I'd rather wait and really enjoy another great PA game than have a rushed launch. Keep trucking it guys. This girl will be ready to beat that game in one sitting and ending it with a big smile. <3

sdiedr02 on
    I <3 jelly beans.
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    sdiedr02 wrote: »
    I would complain about the long wait for the release of this game. But, honestly, I'd rather wait and really enjoy another great PA game than have a rushed launch. Keep trucking it guys. This girl will be ready to beat that game in one sitting and ending it with a big smile. <3

Sorry to have to tell you this but Episode 3 isn't coming out, it was scrapped due to poor sales.
    Tycho continued the story arc in text form here

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • BowlSoldierBowlSoldier Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm.... I seem to have gotten a rather different perspective on this from the other people in the thread. This is all my own opinion of course, but
    I was under the impression that the Cult of the Hidden were trying their hardest to keep the God of Doors seperated. For the last few thousand years, they kept them apart and hid them in vaults or houses around New Arcadia, to prevent the God from being ressurected, as deicide is the main way to destroy the universe. Dr. Blood was it seemed, the embodiment of the 4th God, the Necrowombicon, and possessed by it. The reason the Book helped the mimes and Dr. Morbo to summon the Gods of Silence and Gears respectively, was so that someone like Tycho would come along and kill them. After all, it wants to be the last God left standing, ruling.
    The Book chose Blood as it's avatar, and gave him immense power, which is what he used to take the paintings. Tycho had the mask on him and was being controlled by the Cult, but it was knocked off by Gabe and they killed many of the cultists. Then Blood shows up with the paintings. This part I'm as fuzzy on as anyone else.
    Gabe attacked Blood, which we dont see the direct result of. Tycho shot at him to no effect, and was picked up by Blood's "wisps" and torn apart. His blood was then poured onto the paintings. Why was the blood necessary? And why ripped apart in particular? Perhaps the last part of painting was a part of Tycho's body, or his blood? Or perhaps the blood of such a damned man was toxic to a god, after being cursed for his actions? I have little idea. In any case, immediately after the God of Doors was revived, he was killed, either by the blood or by... er... Blood. It seems Dr. Blood's name is very fitting. With the death of the 3rd god, only one remains. The reference to the Hall in the epilogue makes me think that the final god ascended to rule, and the rest of the universe was cast into some sort of Hell. However the job of the Brahes is not done, and they set out to finish the job with the final god and ascend out of Hell. To be continued... hopefully.
    I found it interesting the few references made to the "strange immortality" of the Brahe clan. I was wondering about this for much of the Chapter, and I believe there is some link between that line and the fact that in Hell, all the Brahes were identical. Just something to dwell on.

BowlSoldier on
  • legonovskylegonovsky Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Irritatingly cryptic - I wish Jerry would just explain it.

Ok, best guesses:

When Blood first stole the Necrowombicon, it said a name he didn't want to hear: Hestia. That's also the name of the Greek goddess of family and domesticity. I suspect that Blood had a wife named Hestia who passed away, and the Necrowombicon promised to reunite the two of them. Basically, he's a pawn.

What happened with Yog Modaigh is incredibly confusing. What is clear to me is that Tycho, Gabriel and Blood were all drawn into hell. Whether that happened because Modaigh is alive and going about his business (drawing people into hell) or because he died somehow, and the void created by his death drew them all into hell, is up for debate. I think he actually died though, because of the phrasing that he had "a moment or two to really appreciate" his freedom before the canvas opened into a maw. The way it's written makes it sound to me as though the vortex happened outside of his control. I'm thinking that by using Tycho's damned blood, destined for hell anyway, that Yog Modaigh became the vortex to hell, and was thus destroyed.

As for the fourth god... is the Necrowombicon a god? Have I missed something? I thought the 'wombicon was just another sentient book, like the Omnibus.

I need Coles Notes!

legonovsky on
  • ShexyBShexyB Registered User regular
    Soon in valve time it like 3-4 months