As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Jante [Chat]

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Speaking of transvestites, totally not prepared for full-frontal ladyboy in Hangover 2 last night.

nibXTE7.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The Incredibles needs a sequel.

That Cars got a sequel instead makes me so sad.

It's sadly more toyetic than the other films. Even Toy Story.

Yeah, but i wouldn't call The Incredibles un-toyetic. it's pretty toyetic too!

With the Incredibles you have at max 15 or so characters you can make toys from. With Cars, you have 50+, including all the background ones. Also I think toy cars generally sell better than action figures.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Yeah, the problem with merchandising for most films is that you have a finite amount of characters, and once you've exhausted them you can either come up with needless variants (Arctic Parachute Batman!) or introduce original characters who aren't recognizable and probably won't fit the aesthetic of the actual film. The result is swiftly diminishing returns.

It's much easier to create original characters specifically for toylines with Cars, though. You basically just slap a pair of eyes on every Hot Wheels car and suddenly you have a billion dollars.

Robos A Go Go on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Speaking of transvestites, totally not prepared for full-frontal ladyboy in Hangover 2 last night.

I should watch this movie for uh...science.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    the wiki for my game is now 2/3rds finished

???

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    You know what happens when you don't check your email for a few days?

You get a Firefall beta invite without realizing it. :O

Very nice! Let us know how it is.

They open the servers on Wednesday nights and Saturday afternoons, so I will only be able to play on Wednesday nights.

Wow, that is really inconvenient and limited.

Well, still, let me know how wednesday nights are!

I am looking forward to it.

I like the game for the PVE component. Sadly though, it seems like it is going to be scratching the same itch that ME3 multiplayer is going to.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    The second Hangover film doesn't really hold up to the first film because it is the first film. Also Zack G comes off as more of a goose.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Yeah, the problem with merchandising for most films is that you have a finite amount of characters, and once you've exhausted them you can either come up with needless variants (Arctic Parachute Batman!) or introduce original characters who aren't recognizable and probably won't fit the aesthetic of the actual film.

It's much easier to create original characters specifically for toylines with Cars, though. You basically just slap a pair of eyes on every Hot Wheels car and suddenly you have a billion dollars.

This reminds me of how my Star Wars toys growing up were the kind of snail-headed looking guy from the cantina and the doctor droid from when Luke was recovering on Hoth.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Wait, Donkey Kong, do you have a limp handshake?

I hate that.

Did you know that the police abuse their position of power from time to time?

I saw a cop pull over someone for passing a guy doing 25 in a 55, because it was a double solid.

Unless the guy doing 25 was a tractor half off the road and it was a clear straightaway and the car that passed didn't even have to leave the lane entirely, then thecop made the right call. You can't cross a double yellow to pass. That's like running a red light.

NYS makes an exception for people impeding the flow of traffic so long as, by your best judgement, it was safe to pass. So long as you don't have to go excessively fast to pass them (meaning someone's coming or they're going like 45 in a 55).

It is common for old ladies, the kind that typically write checks, to drive their Lincoln town cars 25 mph on a 55 mph road.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    The second Hangover film doesn't really hold up to the first film because it is the first film. Also Zack G comes off as more of a goose.

There are a lot of reasons why the Hangover 2 doesn't work.

And they make it just really, really not work.

It was a movie that never, ever should have had a sequel.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

It was the same film, but I think it transcended the first film in obscenity by far. It's like they took every "oh shiiiii...." moment in the first film and said "Hey, how could we make this even more outlandish." I still enjoyed it though. And even my "I didn't really like the first one" wife laughed a few times.

nibXTE7.png
    Winky wrote: »

Yeah, the problem with merchandising for most films is that you have a finite amount of characters, and once you've exhausted them you can either come up with needless variants (Arctic Parachute Batman!) or introduce original characters who aren't recognizable and probably won't fit the aesthetic of the actual film.

This reminds me of how my Star Wars toys growing up were the kind of snail-headed looking guy from the cantina and the doctor droid from when Luke was recovering on Hoth.

I used to know the name of like, every dude in the cantina and every ranking imperial officer thanks to the god damn star wars ccg.

The best joke in Hangover 2 was:
    Zack G entering a trance to remember stuff, and previous scenes being re-enacted with children. It was a brief and funny look into his mind.

Whenever I'd get together with a friend and play with action figures, we'd invariably have doubles of popular characters like Wolverine. This would force us to use cloning, alternate universes, and time travel as plot devices in nearly every single fantasy scenario, because somehow that was more acceptable than one of us not getting to play as Wolverine.

The best joke in Hangover 2 was:
    Zack G entering a trance to remember stuff, and previous scenes being re-enacted with children. It was a brief and funny look into his mind.

I liked how Ken Jeong was basically channeling a filthy version of Edna Mode from The Incredibles.

nibXTE7.png
    Bus tracker is down

Looks like class is canceled
    collegesenior.PNG

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Jesus, I'd forgotten how depressing the start of this movie is. Though it's what makes it so great too - they perfectly capture a whole generation of despair, without going all Fight Club.

The Hangover 2 wasn't so much funny as it was a remake of the first Hangover, except creepy and dark.
    Like, I have less of an issue with Phil fucking a transvestite, and more of an issue with him cheating on his fiancée - who is a good person this time - having unprotected sex with a sex worker, and then not telling the fiancée. He should get tested. He probably won't be getting tested on his honeymoon.

Also, that kid they lost, Freddy? Weren't they making a big deal about how that kid is really good at something that involves his hands... and then he loses a finger. A monkey gets shot. Senor Chang is arrested. One of the guys gets shot.

Such a bad sequel.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular

Whenever I'd get together with a friend and play with action figures, we'd invariably have doubles of popular characters like Wolverine. This would force us to use cloning, alternate universes, and time travel as plot devices in nearly every single fantasy scenario, because somehow that was more acceptable than one of us not getting to play as Wolverine.

we did this too

You know what's fun Winky? Is being back in community as college as someone who already has a degree and doesn't care what grade he gets in the class at all (I just want the language practice and access to the language lab).

Watching like, freshmen squirm is adorable.

Wash wrote: »

The Hangover 2 wasn't so much funny as it was a remake of the first Hangover, except creepy and dark.
    Like, I have less of an issue with Phil fucking a transvestite, and more of an issue with him cheating on his fiancée - who is a good person this time - having unprotected sex with a sex worker, and then not telling the fiancée. He should get tested. He probably won't be getting tested on his honeymoon.

Also, that kid they lost, Freddy? Weren't they making a big deal about how that kid is really good at something that involves his hands... and then he loses a finger. A monkey gets shot. Senor Chang is arrested. One of the guys gets shot.

Such a bad sequel.

I missed Heather Graham. She's so adorable.

Also,
    the kid cuts off his own finger to avoid the future as a surgeon that his father has planned for him.

He's still well-educated and from a rich family, so he'd undoubtedly end up doing well in life anyway.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You know what's fun Winky? Is being back in community as college as someone who already has a degree and doesn't care what grade he gets in the class at all (I just want the language practice and access to the language lab).

i was thinking about doing this for german

but it's cheaper to do it my way

Phil should've married Heather Graham's character :|

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Yeah I wouldn't mind taking some community college classes maybe except why spend the money when learning is free

Jesus, I'd forgotten how depressing the start of this movie is. Though it's what makes it so great too - they perfectly capture a whole generation of despair, without going all Fight Club.

What movie?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    tyrannus wrote: »

Which way be you doing it?

Such a bad sequel.

Yeah, one of the things that was great about the Hangover
    was that (and the way the movie starts is meant to illustrate this) they get to such a horrible low that it seems like they'll be completely unable to recover, yet in the end everything works out in a happy and at least semi-believable way. In the second movie it seems like they wanted to go farther with that in every direction and make shit get really, really bad, but in the end the recovery is super hollow and doesn't make any sense.

Phil should've married Heather Graham's character :|

Right?

What really should've happened is that the Hangover 2 should never have been made.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

online websites and talking to people on livemocha in the language a lot

I even changed my phone settings to german

got me a grammar book on the way, though.

tyrannus on

Nice! Well, I'm off to class, gonna listen to this news podcast in japanese, see if I can make any sense of it at all.

Toodles!

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

got me a grammar book on the way, though.

The single best way to learn a language is to expose yourself constantly to media. Watch the news, watch movies, listen to the radio, as soon as possible read books.

zeeny on
    There's so many better ways they could've gone about it, too.

Like, why use the same exact three characters? Switch out two of them, or use three entirely new characters. Like, the Hangover was hilarious in seeing how these three totally different kinds of guys reacted to this scenario, and as a result the only way to not just completely rehash the first film was to go way over the top in introducing them to more absurd scenarios. It would've been much more entertaining to show different types of people going through the same thing.

TL DR wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't mind taking some community college classes maybe except why spend the money when learning is free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWV8d1XNcFc

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh hey what do you know the hospital that uses java components that requires everyone to have administrative access to the machine is malfunctioning again.

I fucking hate your EHR software mckesson, go suck a big dick because you have terrible coding practices. No, I shouldn't need fucking administrator for shit that puts a button on a web page and displays text because you wanted to be fancy people with your god damned Java applet that sucks big black dick.

I'm not mad or anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

Such a bad sequel.

Yeah, one of the things that was great about the Hangover
    was that (and the way the movie starts is meant to illustrate this) they get to such a horrible low that it seems like they'll be completely unable to recover, yet in the end everything works out in a happy and at least semi-believable way. In the second movie it seems like they wanted to go farther with that in every direction and make shit get really, really bad, but in the end the recovery is super hollow and doesn't make any sense.
    Seriously. Having a deep dark secret to hide from your wife isn't a recovery. The group was irreparably damaged but they all acted like everything was kosher. The ending was fairly dishonest.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I fixed a space suit today. I'm a hero! (not actually, the hero part that is. I did fix a space suit but it was just so NASA could do some PR stuff).

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    They should have cast Sawyer as somebody in the The Walking Dead. And more of the cast of Teachers. Like Shane could've been played by the PE teacher.

I was thinking that Sawyer would have been perfect as Jamie Lannister too.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, Civ V multiplayer is pretty boss you guys. Wish more of you had participated last night. :P Oh well, there's always next time.

But why is it that the PA Vent server is always packed full of people playing other games, but when I get into a multiplayer game with PA people, it's always, "Oh, I can't really talk, my mics broken, I'm too lame to want to speak live, blah blah whine whine."?

bowen wrote: »
    Oh hey what do you know the hospital that uses java components that requires everyone to have administrative access to the machine is malfunctioning again.

I fucking hate your EHR software mckesson, go suck a big dick because you have terrible coding practices. No, I shouldn't need fucking administrator for shit that puts a button on a web page and displays text because you wanted to be fancy people with your god damned Java applet that sucks big black dick.

I'm not mad or anything.

Why's it gotta be a black dick, Bowen? o_O

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.