As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Easily the worst part of the job is how bitter and hateful you get towards special needs children. I mean it isn't their fault, but the attrition eventually wears you down.

And you just want to beat them.

beat them

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    dear fucking god if I see one more void* in this stupid fucking program

Hey, look. It is just void* because it doesn't know what you WANT.
    It wants to make you happy.
    It will be anything you want, baby.
    Anything.

Programmer jokes all up ins.

nevillexmassig1.png
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

Now I'm actually curious

No, because at level you wouldn't be using C++ anyway.

Edit: to clarify I'm a C guy so I had to look up what this "reinterpret_cast" crap is.

Probably not in low level drivers (although you can do it that way), but many modern games are written in C++.
    So reinterpret_casts have their uses.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

Now I'm actually curious

Edit: to clarify I'm a C guy so I had to look up what this "reinterpret_cast" crap is.

Probably not in low level drivers (although you can do it that way), but many modern games are written in C++.

Yeah, big-time games are definitely one of C++'s strongholds, though it seems to be under attack for other native applications.

Just out of curiosity, what is reinterpret_cast legitimately used for?

neville wrote: »

Now I'm actually curious

Yeah, big-time games are definitely one of C++'s strongholds, though it seems to be under attack for other native applications.

Just out of curiosity, what is reinterpret_cast legitimately used for?

Reinterpreting bit patterns.
    Or this is a good example:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573294/when-to-use-reinterpret-cast
    17 down vote

One case when reinterpret_cast is necessary is when interfacing with opaque data types. This occurs frequently in vendor APIs over which the programmer has no control. Here's a contrived example where a vendor provides an API for storing and retrieving arbitrary global data:

// vendor.hpp
    typedef struct _Opaque * VendorGlobalUserData;
    void VendorSetUserData( VendorGlobalUserData p );
    VendorGlobalUserData VendorGetUserData();

To use this API, the programmer must cast their data to VendorGlobalUserData and back again. static_cast won't work, one must use reinterpret_cast:

// main.cpp
    #include "vendor.hpp"
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

struct MyUserData {
    MyUserData() : m( 42 ) {}
    int m;
    };

int main() {
    MyUserData u;

// store global data
    VendorGlobalUserData d1;
    // d1 = &u; // compile error
    // d1 = static_cast< VendorGlobalUserData >( &u ); // compile error
    d1 = reinterpret_cast< VendorGlobalUserData >( &u ); // ok
    VendorSetUserData( d1 );

// do other stuff...

// retrieve global data
    VendorGlobalUserData d2 = VendorGetUserData();
    MyUserData * p = 0;
    // p = d2; // compile error
    // p = static_cast< MyUserData * >( d2 ); // compile error
    p = reinterpret_cast< MyUserData * >( d2 ); // ok

if ( p ) { cout << p->m << endl; }
    return 0;
    }

Below is a contrived implementation of the sample API:

// vendor.cpp
    static VendorGlobalUserData g = 0;
    void VendorSetUserData( VendorGlobalUserData p ) { g = p; }
    VendorGlobalUserData VendorGetUserData() { return g; }

nevillexmassig1.png
    But yeah, I would agree with you then in general reinterpret_cast is for the devil

nevillexmassig1.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely, that seems like a way to hack around a badly designed API more than anything else.

But it does answer the question of why you couldn't just memcpy it.

Yeah, definitely, that seems like a way to hack around a badly designed API more than anything else.

But it does answer the question of why you couldn't just memcpy it.

Yeah, my first thought of an answer was "The API is shitty and you can't change it" :P
    I.e. a lot of projects I've worked on. haha

nevillexmassig1.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    So I spent about four hours last week shuffling equipment from one storage area to another, only to find out friday afternoon that the space I moved the equipment into is now being leased to someone else and the equipment has to be moved to yet another storage area. So I guess tomorrow instead of being a System Admin I'm going to be a Box Bitch instead.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So while watching the Oscars my boss called me.

Boss: Hey, have you checked the schedule for the week?
    Me: Not yet, but I checked my email 2 hours ago.
    Boss: Well what have you been doing?
    Me: Watching the Oscars.
    Boss: Oh? Do the Oscars put food on the table?
    Me: What?
    Boss: Exactly.

I FUCKING DESPISE HIM.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Good god, what an asshole.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    D:

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    ARGHGWGH!!!!!!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Like seriously

What the hell

I don't even know...

This is the same boss who talked down to me about reporting a lot of miles for my bi-weekly report. Never mind the fact that he requested I display how many miles I drove for work or the fact that he set the schedule for such days of work.

Nope, totally my fault that I have to drive 82 miles a day for work.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    What the

He doesn't tell you the schedule until... the DAY you're supposed to be working? How in the world is that supposed to work

• AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    I think you may actually have the worst job.

Beemo_Controller.png
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    What the

He doesn't tell you the schedule until... the DAY you're supposed to be working? How in the world is that supposed to work

I will typically receive the schedule the very evening before that week of work.

And this is still a loose schedule because he could immediately, and has in the past, thrown work on me. I'll finish up a case and be driving home when I will get this phone call:

Boss: Hello?
    Me: Hey.
    Boss: Yeah, hey! How was work?
    Me: Okay.
    Boss: Good, good... So I'm gonna need you to go work with Jonathan right now.
    Me: I'm on the freeway, seven exits away from where he lives. I'm basically half-way home now.
    Boss: Hmm... Seems like you're gonna have to pull around than aren't you?
    Boss: Yep, bye.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    This man is a colossal asshole. He puts Goatse to shame. I'm guessing not answering your phone after your off-duty is not an option?

I'd wager on no.

This is a man who mocked a coworker after she complained about one of our teenagers threatening to beat her to death with a steel bat in his hand.

This is a man without rules.

• AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    Beat him.

Beemo_Controller.png
    I must sleep now and dream through this cold rage.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    I'd wager on no.

This is a man who mocked a coworker after she complained about one of our teenagers threatening to beat her to death with a steel bat in his hand.

It seems like this is something the state agency that is funding you would probably want to know about.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    motherfucking coverletters

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    fucking word wizarding over here

god damned making puns, sneaking that shit in

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    New job is going well, it's a pretty good and fun job. I'm thinking about getting a second job on weekends to supplement my income a little but not sure if I should or not.

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Geez zon.. that's.. that's not right D:

Kochikens wrote: »
    motherfucking coverletters

They are terrible things.

Junpei wrote: »
    New job is going well, it's a pretty good and fun job.

good to hear! :D

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I hate reaching the end of a project. This week is gonna be SO SLOW.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    So what fun things are there to do in Baltimore on a Tues/Wed night? Not really sure I want to drag my boss to the Inner Harbor but if there's a particularly good restaurant I could probably be convinced

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    There's a pretty kicking Brazilian steakhouse in the Inner Harbor.

Stale, Nino and I did some serious damage there once.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Usagi wrote: »
    So what fun things are there to do in Baltimore on a Tues/Wed night? Not really sure I want to drag my boss to the Inner Harbor but if there's a particularly good restaurant I could probably be convinced

Go into the downtown area and get mugged/shot/beat up/car jacked/stabbed/sold drugs/peed on

Not necessarily in that order.

Also, go see the USCGC Taney in the Inner Harbor. The last ship floating that fought back during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Also my dad served on the ship during Vietnam.
    edit: well not on that ship while literally in Vietnam, but after serving 2 tours he got a better assignment

300px-USCGC_Taney_%28WHEC-37%29_in_Baltimore.jpg

Hunter on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hmm, that could work!

edited February 2012
    They made them different back then. I think it was built in 1935 or 1936. She's a beast.

Edit: Wait, he may have actually been on that ship in Vietnam. I didn't realize that the ship was part of Operation Market Time to stop the smuggling of troops and supplies from north to south. I really should get him to record his service somewhere.

Hunter on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote:
    I'd wager on no.

It seems like this is something the state agency that is funding you would probably want to know about.

This is what I was thinking. This isn't typical "not good at being a manager" stuff you're describing, it's abuse.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    What the

I will typically receive the schedule the very evening before that week of work.

And this is still a loose schedule because he could immediately, and has in the past, thrown work on me. I'll finish up a case and be driving home when I will get this phone call:

Boss: Hello?
    Me: Hey.
    Boss: Yeah, hey! How was work?
    Me: Okay.
    Boss: Good, good... So I'm gonna need you to go work with Jonathan right now.
    Me: I'm on the freeway, seven exits away from where he lives. I'm basically half-way home now.
    Boss: Hmm... Seems like you're gonna have to pull around than aren't you?
    Boss: Yep, bye.

wow. I've worked with some hardcore Type-A workaholics before, but that sets a new high score

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Mysst wrote: »
    Slider wrote:

and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

What if the response was "not yet" or "maybe"?

Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Slider wrote:

Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

Yeah being a doormat is totally gonna increase your chances of sleeping with them while not ruining your job success at all. Great strategy.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Slider wrote:

Yeah being a doormat is totally gonna increase your chances of sleeping with them while not ruining your job success at all. Great strategy.

Hence decision tree. For a meh to average looking female co-worker, it's not worth the hassle. For say Kate Upton or Mila Kunis...I'd be at least willing to entertain strategies.

It's not a doormat, it's a battle plan.

This discussion has been closed.