As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Jante [Chat]

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I worked for McKesson at one point, bowen.

I hope you're not using their billing software.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Jesus, I'd forgotten how depressing the start of this movie is. Though it's what makes it so great too - they perfectly capture a whole generation of despair, without going all Fight Club.

What movie?

The Incredibles

oh, you mean the Pixar version of Atlas Shrugged?

I don't remember the 2-hours long monologue part. You sure you're thinking of the right film/book?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Wow!

That Blockscape game looks AWESOME!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jesus, I'd forgotten how depressing the start of this movie is. Though it's what makes it so great too - they perfectly capture a whole generation of despair, without going all Fight Club.

What movie?

The Incredibles

I don't remember the 2-hours long monologue part. You sure you're thinking of the right film/book?

i'm kidding. i loved the incredibles.

they did manage to condense the main Ayn Rand theme into one line from the villain, though.

Evil Multifarious on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    oh my god blockscape looks amazing

ftOqU21.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    It's just a minecraft clone, guys it can't be that...

My God.

it's amazing.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

What movie?

The Incredibles

they did manage to condense the main Ayn Rand theme into one line from the villain, though.

The other one Brad Bird did, Ratatouille, also had that overarching theme of "STAY IN YOUR STATION. Skills are handed out at birth: use them appropriately, never question their distribution."

It's a bit weird, but both movies are quite fun.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    there's a blockscape demo!

ftOqU21.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

What movie?

The Incredibles

The other one Brad Bird did, Ratatouille, also had that overarching theme of "STAY IN YOUR STATION. Skills are handed out at birth: use them appropriately, never question their distribution."

How is it a rat's station to be a good chef?

What movie?

The Incredibles

He's inherently gifted.

Remember, the message was specifically not "Anyone can cook", but "anyone from any station can be gifted with the ability to be great, and we must allow them to be. People not gifted with that ability should let a rat tug their hair, then become a waiter."

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm concerned that the secret phase 3 might be some kind of mind control device.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

What movie?

The Incredibles

... The theme was that anyone, no matter how humble their origin, could be great.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Nope. The hospital uses it for stamping for doctors.

Of course the obvious solution is a Java applet that runs on the hospitals website that we have access to through a VPN.

All of clicking a god damned button and display text. Seriously first year students at ITT Tech could do better.

I don't know who they have designing this shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

What movie?

The Incredibles

... The theme was that anyone, no matter how humble their origin, could be great.

"Anyone can cook no matter their station" plus "and you can't fucking cook if you're not gifted. Stop trying and be a waiter."

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Of course the obvious solution is a Java applet that runs on the hospitals website that we have access to through a VPN.

All of clicking a god damned button and display text. Seriously first year students at ITT Tech could do better.

I am happy that no matter how badly I do in this degree I can find a job getting paid to write shit.

People always forget about the human guy

What movie?

The Incredibles

well, no. no it's not.

doesn't the guy who wants to be a cook fail to be a cook, because he doesn't have the ability, and so he becomes a waiter? the rat becomes a cook because, as durandal said, he has the inherent gift.

the theme, from a positive perspective, is "if you have the gift for something, you can be great, and don't let anyone stop you."

i don't have much of a problem with that, because it's a lot better than "if you try hard enough, you can do anything, no matter what!" which i think is a poisonous attitude

What movie?

The Incredibles

He's inherently gifted.

Remember, the message was specifically not "Anyone can cook", but "anyone from any station can be gifted with the ability to be great, and we must allow them to be. People not gifted with that ability should let a rat tug their hair, then become a waiter."

"Anyone from any station can be gifted with the ability to be great [in a certain vocation]" is the opposite of "STAY IN YOUR STATION."

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    More children's films need the themes of "ACCEPT YOUR OWN MEDiOCRITY AND TAKE SOLACE IN YOUR BETTERS ALLOWING YOU TO EXIST". Maybe that could be Disney's new motto.

edited February 2012
    i think accepting mediocrity is a great theme and an important skill.

i don't think we should necessarily focus on that when making things for children, since we want to promote the idea that they should be trying hard and learning new things and experimenting and building confidence. we just want to do it more realistically.

the more world-weary resignation and acceptance of failure or unattainability can come later in life

Evil Multifarious on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

I am happy that no matter how badly I do in this degree I can find a job getting paid to write shit.

I mean, it's pretty easy to write garbage applications... but like, who's thought process was "Well we have this text... and we want doctors to hit a button and acknowledge they read it, and put it on the text. HEY LETS USE MOTHERFUCKING JAVA."

It's already on a webpage, jesus christ html has all the functionality they need for that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

What movie?

The Incredibles

well, no. no it's not.

doesn't the guy who wants to be a cook fail to be a cook, because he doesn't have the ability, and so he becomes a waiter? the rat becomes a cook because, as durandal said, he has the inherent gift.

the theme, from a positive perspective, is "if you have the gift for something, you can be great, and don't let anyone stop you."

i don't have much of a problem with that, because it's a lot better than "if you try hard enough, you can do anything, no matter what!" which i think is a poisonous attitude

Also, the human's only reason for thinking that he could be a great chef was the fact that he was the son of a great chef.

The falsehood of that belief is a statement against nepotism and one more denial of the idea that skills are/should be restricted to certain classes.

And yeah, I agree about that latter statement being a poisonous attitude, especially since it leads to the belief that people who don't succeed are simply not trying hard enough.

And like not for nothing, Dash but fuck on off. You're not competing, you're just being a dick.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular

GENIUS!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    i think accepting mediocrity is a great theme and an important skill.

i don't think we should necessarily focus on that when making things for children, since we want to promote the idea that they should be trying hard and learning new things and experimenting and building confidence. we just want to do it more realistically.

the more world-weary resignation and acceptance of failure or unattainability can come later in life

I'd prefer some how sliding in the theme that you won't automatically be great at everything you want to be.

It was a difficult realization in the 4th grade, and it's a difficult one now.

What movie?

The Incredibles

He's inherently gifted.

"Anyone from any station can be gifted with the ability to be great [in a certain vocation]" is the opposite of "STAY IN YOUR STATION."

Ah, but remember Syndrome! Don't try to be a hero, guy. You've got no gift! Stay normal.

Similarly, waiter-guy? Stop, you're done. Stay a waiter. Hoping is worthless you need a natural talent.

You can't be gifted, you can simply have it or not have it. If you don't have it you are finished, and there's nothing you can do.

Also it annoys me because cooking is in no way a natural talent. It's the opposite of a talent! It's hard work and time and thoughtfulness and skill and it's got shit all to do with being able to smell shit better then normal.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    haw haw, IRS is requiring people to report exact days of personal use and for fair value use for mixed rental properties

360 Days of personal use. Five days where the Smith Family paid me by check, and 100 days where I got cash. FUCK YOU TAX MAN.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:

Medical software is shit. I can relay hours and hours of headaches and stories about the dental software we use. The crap that can destroy itself during an update so much to the point you have to reinstall. And if it happens on your server, whelp you are reinstalling the whole office and hoping that the update works the next time which it can.

Or the fact that the wireless interoral cameras actually run on their own wireless network that the computer will try to connect to 25% of the time.

But hey at least ours lets up go out months in advance in the scheduling book. Some only let you move your schedule one day at a time. So you want to make an appointment 3 months out, you get to flip pages for about 90 days worth of scheduling.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I don't think that it's in any way better to suggest that if you just find your special talent you'll succeed.

You actually can do anything, generally, kind of. Not practically, obviously, but it's true that any given person can become the Best Chef. They just won't have the time, money, luck, or inclination. Life will get in the way.

We try to cover up this sad fact by pretending that they don't have the "talent", and that the Best Chef attained the station because it was correct for him or her to attain that station.

It's similar to the ridiculously broadly applied term "intelligence" being used to justify anything.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ah, but remember Syndrome! Don't try to be a hero, guy. You've got no gift! Stay normal.

Similarly, waiter-guy? Stop, you're done. Stay a waiter. Hoping is worthless you need a natural talent.

You can't be gifted, you can simply have it or not have it. If you don't have it you are finished, and there's nothing you can do.

Also it annoys me because cooking is in no way a natural talent. It's the opposite of a talent! It's hard work and time and thoughtfulness and skill and it's got shit all to do with being able to smell shit better then normal.

He wasn't a "hero" though. He was an inventor. A really good inventor too, even as a child. But he idolized something that he wasn't, and in fact put people in danger because of it. The message of both movies isn't "stay in your station", it's that different people are good at different things, and everybody's good at something.

nibXTE7.png
    I really can't decide what I want to read.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Incredibles was at least partially about not hiding your light under a bushel, which is a fantastic message.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ok, looking for an app recommendation. I'm trying to control Windows Media Player on my PC from my phone over wi-fi. I've heard tell of such an app for use with Fubar, but I'd rather not change my ways just for that.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Incredibles needs a sequel.

And a Rogue's Gallery.

Really, it needs several sequels. :P

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Does anybody in here use XBMC for their media center?

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I really can't decide what I want to read.

What are the options?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I do.

nibXTE7.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

me

• mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Incredibles needs a sequel.

And a Rogue's Gallery.

Really, it needs several sequels. :P

I wanna see them go into the Earth and fight John Ratzenberg. Or whatever that character's name was.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    haw haw, IRS is requiring people to report exact days of personal use and for fair value use for mixed rental properties

360 Days of personal use. Five days where the Smith Family paid me by check, and 100 days where I got cash. FUCK YOU TAX MAN.

that's not mixed. you need to rent more than to 2 weeks for it to start being classified as mixed rental property. hell, you don't even have to pay tax on that rental income.

tyrannus on
This discussion has been closed.